• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Congratulations to all that those their packages and received NOAs already. I will be current in December, planning to send package mid November.

I have a question: I understand that applying for EAD while already having an H1 is that you could change jobs (or find a new one if you get laid off) while GC is pending. My question is: Does receiving EAD pretty much guarantees receiving green card? If it is doesnt (i.e. your green card gets rejected, but you already got the EAD); does your EAD gets canceled as soon as your GC is rejected? And finally; say if you get laid off while your AOS is pending (and if you dont have an EAD or havent received that yet either); do you go out of status?

Not sure if these were straightforward questions or not (I could not find a direct answer right away). Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

Hello Daima,

Congratulations! I too am current in November and seeing your case makes me wonder if I should submit everything now.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks. We thought it wouldn't hurt to send it early and we decided to do that knowing the November Bulletin was out. But, wait if that's what you feel you need to do.

Let's keep each other posted.

All the best!

I have a question for those who filed the Advance Parole and/or Employment Authorization applications along with the I-485 and that received the NOA. Did you guys include 3 sets of 2 photographs (2 for the I-485, 2 for the I-131, and 2 for I-765) or just 2 photographs for the whole package?

This question was asked in previous years but the answers that I found were from people that had not received the NOA at that time.

Thank you!

We sent 2 for I-485 and 2 I-765, each person. We didn't apply for I-131. The instructions weren't that clear to me, so better safe than sorry.

Congratulations to all that those their packages and received NOAs already. I will be current in December, planning to send package mid November.

I have a question: I understand that applying for EAD while already having an H1 is that you could change jobs (or find a new one if you get laid off) while GC is pending. My question is: Does receiving EAD pretty much guarantees receiving green card? If it is doesnt (i.e. your green card gets rejected, but you already got the EAD); does your EAD gets canceled as soon as your GC is rejected? And finally; say if you get laid off while your AOS is pending (and if you dont have an EAD or havent received that yet either); do you go out of status?

Not sure if these were straightforward questions or not (I could not find a direct answer right away). Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

From my readings and understanding:

If you are on H-1B and have I-485 pending/have EAD, you are considered to be on H-1B unless you use your EAD. Using your EAD kind of deactivate your H-1 status.

I'm not sure about this, but I've read that EAD and I-485 are processed separately, so I don't think there's a guarantee of getting GC if you get EAD, but imo I think possibility of getting GC is high if you get EAD.

You are not out of status if your I-485 is pending.

Thanks. We thought it wouldn't hurt to send it early and we decided to do that knowing the November Bulletin was out. But, wait if that's what you feel you need to do.

Let's keep each other posted.

All the best!

Hello Daima,

I'm very anxious to start my process. I have everything ready but not sure of what to do. Anyway, it's great to hear that everyone is doing great.

All the best to you too

From my readings and understanding:

If you are on H-1B and have I-485 pending/have EAD, you are considered to be on H-1B unless you use your EAD. Using your EAD kind of deactivate your H-1 status.

I'm not sure about this, but I've read that EAD and I-485 are processed separately, so I don't think there's a guarantee of getting GC if you get EAD, but imo I think possibility of getting GC is high if you get EAD.

You are not out of status if your I-485 is pending.

You are right Daima. He will keep his H1 status until he uses his EAD. The EAD will serve as a backup in case he loses his H1 status or if he decides to change jobs. Having an EAD does not improve the chances of getting the GC. Actually, if he uses his EAD and the AOS is rejected, he will not be able to work until the AOS is reinstated or he regains his H1 status.

Hello Daima,

I'm very anxious to start my process. I have everything ready but not sure of what to do. Anyway, it's great to hear that everyone is doing great.

All the best to you too

If I were you I would send it now. Tommorow is the 23rd, it's only a week until November, I don't think it'll be a problem as along as you have everything they need. I have to say part of me was a bit worried about sending our package early, so we were kinda anxious waiting either for the big package sent back, lol or NOAs, so when we saw the checks were cashed yesterday, we were relieved. But as I said earlier, if you have a bad feeling about sending it now then wait.

You are right Daima. He will keep his H1 status until he uses his EAD. The EAD will serve as a backup in case he loses his H1 status or if he decides to change jobs. Having an EAD does not improve the chances of getting the GC. Actually, if he uses his EAD and the AOS is rejected, he will not be able to work until the AOS is reinstated or he regains his H1 status.

Thanks guys. It is good to know that you dont get out of status if you get laid off while AOS is pending. Also i believe it is not a good idea to change jobs using your EAD while your AOS is pending in case your GC gets rejected. Sounds like the only benefit of EAD is to be able to find another job (good luck in this economy!) if you get laid off during AOS pending.

Hello everyone,
I am new for this forum and need some helps and suggestions from you guys.
I am doing AOS, F-1 Visa, and I got 2nd letter from KCC already. What should I do next?
Because I saw some of you had a medicals check and some send AOS packet to Chicago.
I have no idea right now what should I do next.

Hello everyone,
I am new for this forum and need some helps and suggestions from you guys.
I am doing AOS, F-1 Visa, and I got 2nd letter from KCC already. What should I do next?
Because I saw some of you had a medicals check and some send AOS packet to Chicago.
I have no idea right now what should I do next.

Hello zimboho,

You will need to find out when your case number becomes current and get your AOS packet ready to submit it at that time. The AOS package consists of some forms (I-485, G-325A, medical, etc) along with supporting documentation. The medical could take from a few days to 2 weeks so you should plan on doing it early. The trick is to have everything double checked and right so your case will not be delayed with the package being returned or a RFE (Request for Evidence) because something is missing or not clear.

I strongly suggest that you read the AOS Only forums for years 2009 and 2008.

Good luck!

If I were you I would send it now. Tommorow is the 23rd, it's only a week until November, I don't think it'll be a problem as along as you have everything they need. I have to say part of me was a bit worried about sending our package early, so we were kinda anxious waiting either for the big package sent back, lol or NOAs, so when we saw the checks were cashed yesterday, we were relieved. But as I said earlier, if you have a bad feeling about sending it now then wait.

Hello Daima,

I certainly am considering to send my package tomorrow Friday. I can't do it today because I need to write my cover letter.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Alright Daima, my AOS package is in the mail. I'm crossing my fingers!