• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Did you call USCIS to find out if you are allowed to do AOS?

I did not call USCIS either, but as long as you are legally in the US and able to adjust your status, there should be no issues. The legal status (b-2, h-4, etc.) should be irrelevant.

I know a person from my work who was on deportation and won DV lottery. He was taken to immigration court but was still allowed to remain in the US and adjust his status without leaving the country.

I did not call USCIS either, but as long as you are legally in the US and able to adjust your status, there should be no issues. The legal status (b-2, h-4, etc.) should be irrelevant.

I know a person from my work who was on deportation and won DV lottery. He was taken to immigration court but was still allowed to remain in the US and adjust his status without leaving the country.

Oh, I think it was nagatybasha on tourist visa here. You can't stay forever on this visa in US, and doing AOS takes at least 4 months. Yes, your status will be "I-485 pending" after you send it, it can take long time before your number becomes current and you actually can file this form. Your friends were lucky, but I would suggest you to ask USCIS to make sure.

Visa Bulletins are release around 10th of each month.
So it will give you approximately 50 Days' time advantage.

For the people planning to "early file"
the only thing: they cannot file before
the fiscal year starts (October)

So the people becomes current in October
don't have luxury of early filing.

The ones become current in November got
just around 30 Days advantage.

The rest December to September following year
will have around 50 Days.

"Time is money sometimes much more important than it"

Thanks for your replies Capeolive. Following the past tendencies, if the 15xxx is current in Jan-Feb, 2011, then we should be able to apply for 485 sometime in Nov-Dec (if I understand this process correctly). Visa bulletins are published like 2 months ahead and people apply once the cutoff month/number is published, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on h-1b and wife is on h4, calling USCIS may be a good idea, but the people there may not know everything as well as we do here :)

Does anybody aware about the case when after interview the green card has not been issued for some reason?

I had an interview and officer told me that he has to check "some things".

If you are here on a tourist visa and
not out of status (not overstayed your visa)
doing CP (consular processing) might be a better
option for you. During the CP they accept a notarized
"Job Offer" from US as a source of income.

Doing AOS might be risky for you...

well , thanks for the quick reply, but how can i prove my income, i will be unemployed because iam on a tourist visa , what do you suggest ?

Hi mohkha,

Most likely you can send in your application
around 10 of June. It looks like you will have
just about enough time. Everything must be
in order though...

Switching to CP might also be an option to consider.
When doing CP for instance if you become current
in August you'll be interviewed at US Consulate/Embassy
in the same month.

As I said before:
"Either method of application (AOS and CP) has its risks.
But CP I believe is something to consider for applicants with high numbers..."

hey guys
how about AF55xxx . do i have chance to do it (AOS)

Hi nanodude1,

Would you provide some information.
*When was your number current?
*What was your status in US?
*Where were you interviewed ?
*When was the interview?
*Anything odd happened at the interview?

I hope things take a positive turn for you...

Does anybody aware about the case when after interview the green card has not been issued for some reason?

I had an interview and officer told me that he has to check "some things".

Hi Norkira,

Can you also help me?

If there is one person that does NOT need my help it's you capeolive. In the contrary, you were the one helping me out when I needed help. I think you got it all covered. Ever since you appeared it's been a One-Man-Show....you got it all under control ;)

good luck to the upcoming interviewees

especailly i2009 and capeolive...you guys really deserve a quick and positive outcome in your interviews...best of luck!!!

Thank you, for your kind words Norkira.
I am just continuing the good deeds started
before me. We are helping each other and
I am just trying to do my part...

I just needed your help to get my card
without an interview that was all...

If there is one person that does NOT need my help it's you capeolive. In the contrary, you were the one helping me out when I needed help. I think you got it all covered. Ever since you appeared it's been a One-Man-Show....you got it all under control ;)

Hi nanodude1,

Would you provide some information.
*When was your number current?
*What was your status in US?
*Where were you interviewed ?
*When was the interview?
*Anything odd happened at the interview?

I hope things take a positive turn for you...

- Current Feb.
- H1B
- Memphis, TN
- May 6th
- Nothing odd, but decision was not made on the spot. IO told me he has to "check some things"

Any input will be appreciated.

Good luck on your interview.

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485
You should submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

Two passport-style photos
Form G-325A, Biographic Information, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age
Copy of government-issued photo identification
Copy of birth certificate
Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
Copy of passport page with admission (entry) stamp (if applicable)
Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record (if applicable)
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
Applicable fees
Copy of the approval notice for Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant Form I-797)
Certified copies of court records (if you have ever been arrested)
Copy of the principal applicant’s selection letter for the diversity visa lottery from DOS
Copy of the receipt for the processing fee of the diversity visa lottery from DOS
Principal applicants must also submit evidence of a high school diploma or its equivalent, or evidence of 2 years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least 2 years of training or experience in the past 5 years.

what does the highlighted sentence mean?

Oh, I think it was nagatybasha on tourist visa here. You can't stay forever on this visa in US, and doing AOS takes at least 4 months. Yes, your status will be "I-485 pending" after you send it, it can take long time before your number becomes current and you actually can file this form. Your friends were lucky, but I would suggest you to ask USCIS to make sure.

I have all that legal status period thing worked out, i will enter the States around october to apply for AOS, i think it should be fine

If you are here on a tourist visa and
not out of status (not overstayed your visa)
doing CP (consular processing) might be a better
option for you. During the CP they accept a notarized
"Job Offer" from US as a source of income.

Doing AOS might be risky for you...

The thing is , next year woud be my last year in university in Egypt, i will not be allowed to leave the country because they will be afraid that i might skip the military service, CP is not an option for me unless i fail myself in this year's exams, how risky do you think it would be for me to file AOS, if i have affidavit of support signed by my uncle who is an american Citizen, if it is still risky, please tell me so i can see what to do with the exams, thanks
and BTW, good luck with your interview

If you have special circumstances you can try AOS
along with I-134 you should have a "job offer" and
"some money" at a bank.

You can also do CP in another country it is also possible.

The thing is , next year woud be my last year in university in Egypt, i will not be allowed to leave the country because they will be afraid that i might skip the military service, CP is not an option for me unless i fail myself in this year's exams, how risky do you think it would be for me to file AOS, if i have affidavit of support signed by my uncle who is an american Citizen, if it is still risky, please tell me so i can see what to do with the exams, thanks
and BTW, good luck with your interview