• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Misspelled last name

Hi guys,

I was going through all the paperwork that I will be sending to USCIS and I discovered that my second last name was misspelled on the I-797 form (approval notice for H-1B.) I still cannot understand how I missed that :eek:. I checked the non-immigrant worker petition that my employer submitted to USCIS (i.e. I-129 form, H-1B Data Collection form, etc.) and my last name is correctly spelled on all the forms. It appears that USCIS entered it wrong.

I notified my employer and they told me this is a common mistake with USCIS and that it is usually corrected at the time of the visa stamping. If there are any problems, I should show the petition. Since I am not planning to get the visa stamp, I am worried that this error may delay the AOS process. Preferably, I would like to solve this issue before it may become a problem.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jarev

Hi everyone, here is what I did.
4/29/08: NL received from KCC CN 2009EU00003xxx
5/5/08: Visited local USCIS to pick up AOS forms
5/30/08: Sent DSP-122 (only) & bar code sheet to KCC
8/08/08: Sent $375 fee to DOS
8/11/08: Received DOS receipt of payment
8/17/08: Received 2nd NL from KCC confirming AOS
9/16/08: Completed Physical Exam
10/20/08: Sent AOS package overnight via FEDEX;(sent on old address- that I got with the forms from Local USCIS Office- Please check addresses before sending!!!
They located the right address same day,luckily.
10/29/08: Check Cashed
I think USPS is the fastest way to send it. My post office is so crowded, so I decided to try Fedex instead.
Make sure if you are sending for more than one (spouse or child) make all applications separate files, with separate checks in front of each, and than put all together in one envelope.

For those who apply both I-765 and I-131 along with I-485, how many photo do I need to send totally? Is it 2, 4 or 6?

Thank you.

Anyone else been tracking their I485 on the USCIS website?

I received my NOA almost 2 weeks ago, and the status of my file, according to the USCIS website was last updated on 10/21 (which is almost ten days AFTER I received the NOA)

what is the hold up I wonder? why would sending the biometrics appointment letters take so long?

anyone know of anyone (who is not obsessed as we are and checking this website every day!!) who has received the biometrics letter?

I received my NOA almost 2 weeks ago, and the status of my file, according to the USCIS website was last updated on 10/21 (which is almost ten days AFTER I received the NOA)

what is the hold up I wonder? why would sending the biometrics appointment letters take so long?

anyone know of anyone (who is not obsessed as we are and checking this website every day!!) who has received the biometrics letter?

I have no idea. And my situation is similar to yours.

Ok! So, I mailed my AOS petiton to the Chitown Lockbox this morning. :eek: I guess now it's time to sit back and enjoy the ride. :cool: Oh yeah...sent it USPS.

How long does it normally take to cash the checks from the delivery date?
I saw 6 days to 1 month, what is the factor here?

Just sent a package to Chicago Lockbox today via USPS Priority. Wow... it's weighed 12.8 ounces!!!

Check this out: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154288. It seems like people are getting the biometrics appointments, it's just that they are not dv winners:confused:

Well...thats good to know. I was starting to think the USCIS Biometrics appointment letter printer ran out of ink. :mad:

yeah it would also be good if we start getting them too. I thought dv cases should be processed immediately

Hello all,
I have been following this thread for some time, but just recently registered. Thanks to everybody who shares their experience and knowledge. I am a DV2009 winner and my number became current this month (November). I wanted to do AOS. I am on a J1 visa, and working on Academic Training. I got a waiver for my 2-year requirement earlier this year. Recently, I was told by the Foreign Student Advisor in my school that they will not be able extend my AT work authorization simply because I got a J1-waiver. Therefore, they told me to go ahead and apply for Academic H-1B since I am teaching in a College. I have applied for H-1B with Premium Processing. It has been more than 15 days now, USCIS cashed my check on the 13th day, but we have not received any notice so far. I also applied for my wife's change of status (I-539). At this point, my J1 work authorization has already expired. My questions:
1- In case they reject my H-1B, am I still going to be able to do AOS (remember, my J1 is already expired)?
2- In case H-1B approved, do they approve my wife's H4 at the same time, or does it take months, and if this happens can we go ahead and send our I-485 packages while her status is pending?
3- If there is no way to do AOS, can I go back to Dept. of State and ask for CP?

I will appreciate your answers too much. Thanks.

Hello all,
I have been following this thread for some time, but just recently registered. Thanks to everybody who shares their experience and knowledge. I am a DV2009 winner ........
1- In case they reject my H-1B, am I still going to be able to do AOS (remember, my J1 is already expired)?
2- In case H-1B approved, do they approve my wife's H4 at the same time, or does it take months, and if this happens can we go ahead and send our I-485 packages while her status is pending?
3- If there is no way to do AOS, can I go back to Dept. of State and ask for CP?

I will appreciate your answers too much. Thanks.

I could not figure out if you are in J-1 status or not. You need to clarify on exactly what status you are acutaly in right now irrespective of the visa in your passport. But anyway,

1) If they reject your H-1B then you are out of luck if you don't have a fall back status. I'm sorry to say but thats a dangerous place to be because you start accumulating illegal presences right away if you dont have a fall-back option.

2)Yes - typical outcome is that the H-4 is approved at the same time. By the way USCIS is pretty good at adjudicating premium processing cases within 15 business days. If it take longer you should call and find out whats happening.

3) Yes you can ask for CP at any time. Try to do it before you submit your I-485. Keep in mind that the switch will eat up valuable time that you don't already have.

Update

Update
8/7/08 Completed Medical Check
9/26/08 Sent $375 fee to DOS (cashed Sept 30)
10/3/08 Received DOS receipt
10/10/08 Sent(USPS) entire AOS package (I-485,I-765)
10/12/08 package delivered
10/20/08 check cashed
10/24/08 NOA1(AOS), NOA2(EAD) received. (Mailed 10/ 20/08)
10/29/08 Biometrics appt. letter received(Mailed 10/24)
Appt. Scheduled for Nov 13th 08
E2B,
Apparently there has been a lot of progress in your case. Thanks for the update.