• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

I can see mine too...Fingerprint fee accepted... so I guess we should get the biometrics letter very soon.

Ok, so another area of concern is when it comes to bank account and money. From reading around I gather that they would like you to have at least at the poverty level of money (around $13,00 from the link below).

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html

PDF with 2008 Poverty Guidelines - http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

How much importance is put on this part and how does being a student matter? Also do they get weird if you suddenly are depositing a bunch of money into your account to meet these requirements? Since starting the DV process a lot of money has been spent on the fee's as well as the translations for all the documents that are needed. All of these costs have been pretty expensive on top of having to pay for rent and other normal expenses. I'm guessing it'll probably be wise to get an affidavit of support, but what requirements do they expect that person to have? Some thoughts on this area of the process?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see my case status online today :) , with last updated date as Oct 20 2008.

my status also says that it was last updated on Oct 20, 2008. I am hoping that means that the biometrics later will arrive soon...

otherwise it could just mean that someone at USCIS is working on my file- that works too!

Seeing that November is election month in the US, I wonder what effect that will have on the pace at which USCIS processes AOS petitions. Hmmmmmm...... I think it would really suck if this whole AOS thing takes over 3 months.

Seeing that November is election month in the US, I wonder what effect that will have on the pace at which USCIS processes AOS petitions. Hmmmmmm...... I think it would really suck if this whole AOS thing takes over 3 months.

I agree! I feel like I am more impatient now than I was when I received notification in April that I would be able to apply for AOS in October!!

I am anxiously waiting for users to start posting that they received their biometrics appointment letters- that should mean that the ball is rolling!

Hopefully those Biometric letters come soon. I really was hoping for an early November appointment...

I saw an earlier post in another forum and someone was denied in CP for lack of funds. Just wanted to confirm with any gurus that I have enough evidence of support? In a nutshell I have the following:

-Annual Stipend of $10,000
-I-134 with support showing $24,000 annual salary and $5,000 savings
-I am working towards my masters degree

Thanks.

Letters of employment and salary contracts.

Dematra, could you please tell me what exactly should the letter of emplyment say. I asked for one and they (HR) do not know how to make it. Since you already sent your package i thought you should know.

Updated October 20, 2008.
November is near so I am using this final week to go over my application package. I am planning on sending everything USPS!

Anyway currently I have the following package prepared (photocopies or originals where applicable):

0. Cover letter
1. I-485 - Application to Adjust Status + 2 Passport size pictures.
2. I-485 fee payment (personal check).
3. I-693 - Medical Examination sealed envelope.
4. Birth certificate and national ID.
5. Highschool diploma and leaving certificate.
6. University diplomas/certs.
7. Resume (showing detailed work history)
8. Letters of employment and salary contracts.
9. Passport (all relevant pages).
10. I-94.
11. SSN card.
11. I-797A (current H1-B Approval notices).
12. Form G-325A - Biographic Information.
13. DV2009 Notification Letter and bar code page.
14. DoS DV fee payment reciept.
15. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization + 2 Passport size pictures.
16. Form I-131, Application for Advance Parole.

I have decided to file the I-765 but I am still on the fence about the I-131. I have recently learnt of the possible negative effects that Advance Parole has on H1-B status. Still thinking about it.....

Not included in I-485 package but prepared for interview (fingers crossed)

1. Previous I-20s (yeah I have a zillion of them)
2. State tax transcripts for 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
3. Federal tax transcripts & IRS 1040s for 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
4. University academic transcripts
5. Official employment contracts showing current job descriptions.
6. Bank & Asset statements
7. H-1B application packets (A lot of infomation there)
8. Previous I-765 approval notices
9. Old passports
10. SSN Card and State DL
11. Paystabs (latest 12)
13. ???

Sorry, I said you already sent your package, my mistake.

I agree! I feel like I am more impatient now than I was when I received notification in April that I would be able to apply for AOS in October!!

I am anxiously waiting for users to start posting that they received their biometrics appointment letters- that should mean that the ball is rolling!

My case is last updated on Oct 21.
May be this year they started sending out NoA sooner but the time of biometrics will be same as previous years or even later.
Nothing we can do than just wait.

Dematra, could you please tell me what exactly should the letter of emplyment say. I asked for one and they (HR) do not know how to make it. Since you already sent your package i thought you should know.

All the letters need to say is that: company ABC has appointed you to position XYZ. They should also indicate date of appointment (or starting date) and a very brief summary of responsibilities (optional). It should also indicate what salary they will pay you on a yearly basis + benefits and bonuses if any. For GC purposes you need to show how much $$$ you will be making & your gross salary should be above poverty line requirements.

Make sure they print it on company letterhead and your boss signs it.

All the letters need to say is that: company ABC has appointed you to position XYZ. They should also indicate date of appointment (or starting date) and a very brief summary of responsibilities (optional). It should also indicate what salary they will pay you on a yearly basis + benefits and bonuses if any. For GC purposes you need to show how much $$$ you will be making & your gross salary should be above poverty line requirements.

Make sure they print it on company letterhead and your boss signs it.

thank you very much:)

Question

My wife is in the US doing her OPT (F1 visa) and cannot leave the US now. I live overseas and I have B1/B2 visa but currently in my home country and cannot leave til late May early June. She won the DV 2009 (AF27xxx). We expect her number to be current in June, but that means that her number will show up in the April bulletin. This means that in order to gain some time she'll have to send her AOS package in April as soon as the bulletin comes out. Now, we have two choices:
1) For her to send the i485 and file form i824 for me in order for the USCIS to send a copy of her AOS to the US consulate in my country so I can apply for an immigration visa.
2) For me to go to the US as soon as I can (early June) using my B1/B2 visa and apply for AOS.

Does any one have an experience with a similar situation? Which way will be faster and safer? Does any one know how long it takes the USCIS to process the i824 if my wife submits it with her i485?

Thank you.

My wife is in the US doing her OPT (F1 visa) and cannot leave the US now. I live overseas and I have B1/B2 visa but currently in my home country and cannot leave til late May early June. She won the DV 2009 (AF27xxx). We expect her number to be current in June, but that means that her number will show up in the April bulletin. This means that in order to gain some time she'll have to send her AOS package in April as soon as the bulletin comes out. Now, we have two choices:
1) For her to send the i485 and file form i824 for me in order for the USCIS to send a copy of her AOS to the US consulate in my country so I can apply for an immigration visa.
2) For me to go to the US as soon as I can (early June) using my B1/B2 visa and apply for AOS.

Does any one have an experience with a similar situation? Which way will be faster and safer? Does any one know how long it takes the USCIS to process the i824 if my wife submits it with her i485?

Thank you.

My two cents:

Option 1 is too complicated! You don't have that kind of time.
Option 2 could work depending on your circumstances. See note below.
Option 3 (CP for both of you) would be my recomendation.

Note:
Do you already have the non-immigrant visa or are you planning on getting one? Irregardless, it sounds like you are trying to use a non-immigrant visa to enter the country and adjust status once there. Am I understanding you correctly?

My two cents:

Option 1 is too complicated! You don't have that kind of time.
Option 2 could work depending on your circumstances. See note below.
Option 3 (CP for both of you) would be my recomendation.

Note:
Do you already have the non-immigrant visa or are you planning on getting one? Irregardless, it sounds like you are trying to use a non-immigrant visa to enter the country and adjust status once there. Am I understanding you correctly?

I vote for the the 3rd option, CP processing.
From my readings here, it is faster and safer than AOS, unless you must do AOS.

Any updates from the October warriors? Something has to be happening somewhere. No new babies? No appointment letters? Nobody arrested for some juicy shananegans? Nothing? Really?!! Hmmmm....

Any updates from the October warriors? Something has to be happening somewhere. No new babies? No appointment letters? Nobody arrested for some juicy shananegans? Nothing? Really?!! Hmmmm....

Nothing so far...from my end. Any other folks have any updates, please post.

Thank you.

I believe that if you will enter with a B1/B2 (NON-immigrant visa) and do AOS, IO can say that you commit fraud because you enter with a NON-immigrant purpose to later to adjust.
You can enter with an F-2 (F-1 is your wife) but again is an NON-immigrant visa.
The question will be for you: at the time you enter, what was your purpose?
I don't know much... but I guess this is correct.

Thank you.
Doing AOS that late is risky. If you run into a time consuming background check there is the possibility that is not finished before Spet, 30.
I would recommend CP for both of you.