• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Update information - received 3 NoAs, each for I-485, I-765, and I-131. My ASC code is 3 for I-485 and 2 for I-765

Update information - received 3 NoAs, each for I-485, I-765, and I-131. My ASC code is 3 for I-485 and 2 for I-765

progress for you!
Now the wait begins. I felt a sigh of relief when I got my NOA. Why? I was happy they got my name and address right....coz nobody does.

I am very happy to join this forum and looking for your advice.
i won DV2009 and unfortunately my case number is so high (AS00027xxx), i received my first NL on May and i sent all the paperwork(DS I-22, DS-230). in july i got the second NL tells me that your file transfers to USCIS and i can apply for Adjust status after october 1 and i have to pay the DV fees. usually my case number becomes current on august or September which means that i don't have chance to get the visa. my question is, do u advice me to go a head and apply to adjust status as written in the NL or i have to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very happy to join this forum and looking for your advice.
i won DV2009 and unfortunately my case number is so high (AS00027xxx), i received my first NL on May and i sent all the paperwork(DS I-22, DS-230). in july i got the second NL tells me that your file transfers to USCIS and i can apply for Adjust status after october 1 and i have to pay the DV fees. usually my case number becomes current on august or September which means that i don't have chance to get the visa. my question is, do u advice me to go a head and apply to adjust status as written in the NL or i have to wait.

Hi jor79,
Congratulations on your selection and welcome to the DV 2009 AOS thread. Please feel free to scan through this and other threads becasue there is a wealth of information here that will aid you in making the right decisions.

About your question, I have to agree with the pevious member. I would not recommend you persue AOS. The process is time consuming and with a high rank number the risk is too high. With that in mind I would advise you to weigh all your options and look at your circumstances then decide if the risk is worth it.

Best of luck with whichever route you select. :)

October folks,
have u guys wondered, if we would've gone for CP, green card would already been approved for us???

October folks,
have u guys wondered, if we would've gone for CP, green card would already been approved for us???

yeah, I wonder about that a lot but at the same time, I know that it would have been a real hassle for me to be out of the US for two weeks to do the medicals and the CP process...

I would recommend doing CP for anybody who has the opportunity to go to home country for 2 weeks. My number was current in October, i chose aos and then switched to CP, My interview was october 2nd, i was approved the same day and was back in the US 2 weeks later with my stamped passport.
When i read this post, i can't help but think that i would be in the same situation if i had sticked with AOS,
Good luck to all of you, i am sure you'll get the GC but the wait is just a hassle!

yeah, I wonder about that a lot but at the same time, I know that it would have been a real hassle for me to be out of the US for two weeks to do the medicals and the CP process...

I would have had to reschedule the cp interview anyways for December or January
I think everything is going to be fine here it just might take a little bit longer...

if you have time to read http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/TransformationConOps_Mar07.pdf p. 23 talks about biometrics and background checks

thank you guys, actually it is not easy for me to go back home and make CP since i am student right now and also my wife with me so it is costing me more money. just in case if
think about going home, then do u have any idea about the cost (without considering the tickets) and the time that i need to finish everything, and also what i have to do to transfer my file to my country.

Changing to CP and going home to Australia is becoming a serious option for me too maybe. I was hoping to get MY AP approved within the next month so I could travel there anyway. Why not jus get the visa there and then. I also wonder what the costs and risks involved are. i.e will I get back for class on Jan. 10, if ever.

On that note I also made an appointment at USCIS for this friday to see what is going on with our slow October cases!

Have you folks noticed that the pace of CP is also remarkably slower than in previous years? Sure there are a few people here and there that have gotten their GC but generally compared with same time last year..not that many.

When i received the 1st notification letter, I was a student too and after long reflection and help of other people's experience on the forum, i chose CP and i took the risk to miss the fall semester and so cancel my I20 to go home for the interview. Hopefully, everything went well for me. The cost was 775 dollars for visa fee at the embassy plus cost of plane ticket. For me it was cheaper to take this option than AOS for which i would have paid 375+1010+ medicals in the US+international student fees at my college until my AOS is completed= more than 5000 dollars.

For all of you that already chose AOS and sent checks, you would have to lose the 1010 dollars to AOS and pay the 400 difference to the embassy, i don't think that would be a good option. Plus KCC would have to request your file from USCIS and schedule an appointment, that would take time i guess.
Anyway, good luck to all of you with any decision you are taking.

I don't think CP is slower than last year, i know lots of people that went to interview already and got their GC or have interview scheduled. I guess they just don't post experience on forums as much as last years winners.

Changing to CP and going home to Australia is becoming a serious option for me too maybe. I was hoping to get MY AP approved within the next month so I could travel there anyway. Why not jus get the visa there and then. I also wonder what the costs and risks involved are. i.e will I get back for class on Jan. 10, if ever.

On that note I also made an appointment at USCIS for this friday to see what is going on with our slow October cases!

where is your local office if you dont mind?
At least we'll find out if name checks are completed

not yet but I plan on doing it later on this afternoon...

so I called again at 4:30pm ET time and once again I got through to an agent who said that he could not help me because the system was down!! this is so frustrating!!!! the customer service rep told me that the system came back up and then went back down again so I guess I just must be calling at the wrong times...

by any chance has anyone else tried calling? I would be interested in seeing if someone else was able to get through and actually get an answer...

For me, a ticket to my country costs more than $1,300 plus cost of gifts to friends and family. It would sum up to $2,000. Also, I don't want to take a risk of leaving school for a semester. An opportunity cost of graduation in May and delay til August would affect 2-3 months of working a full time job, which is a lot more than just $400.

Furthermore, I have an fellowship from my university. The difference of being an International or not is just $60 fee plus an opportunity to work more than 20 hours per week, which I intend not to do so due to loads of current work.

Summary, I don't think that CP is a better option for everyone. For you, it might be better, but not in my case.

For all of you that already chose AOS and sent checks, you would have to lose the 1010 dollars to AOS and pay the 400 difference to the embassy, i don't think that would be a good option. Plus KCC would have to request your file from USCIS and schedule an appointment, that would take time i guess.
Anyway, good luck to all of you with any decision you are taking.