• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

allright guys , take it easy.
I called USCIS number and I was able to hear my case on the phone saying it is in Lee summit, also it says customer representative cannot help you more than what it says in online status or in phone (fingeprint fee recieved and case pending).

Good thing you have attorney to work for you, but for most of us we're filing by ourself.
Therefore, I'll just wait before writing to congressman. But do update us your findings. Thanks.

allright guys , take it easy.
I called USCIS number and I was able to hear my case on the phone saying it is in Lee summit, also it says customer representative cannot help you more than what it says in online status or in phone (fingeprint fee recieved and case pending).

Good thing you have attorney to work for you, but for most of us we're filing by ourself.
Therefore, I'll just wait before writing to congressman. But do update us your findings. Thanks.

you actually dont need an attorney for this...but that's not the point. I just wanted to share with you what info I am getting.

Hi all,

I don't know if it is a good time to post this message but I just want to keep you guys updated as seems I am the only one in the early October group get the biometric letter and interview appointment.

Today just got the letter of my biometric appointment, scheduled next Wednesday. I have checked my online status, nothing updated, still saying my case is in the NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER. I read somewhere in the USCIS website saying if our case is process by local office, the status won't be shown there. So I assume after our case has been passed to the local office, the online status may not be able to update.

In addition, I try to check the processing time of my local office, seems like it process case pretty fast, compared to all the other office nearby. I think that's why I get the biometric and interview appointment earlier. Here is its processing time shown in the uscis.gov

I-131 Application for Travel Documents 3 Months
I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status 4 Months
I-765 Application for Employment Authorization 3 Months

So check the processing time of your local office. I think the time difference may be depends on how busy your local office is.

Hope the information is helpful. Good luck to all of you!

thanks for the update Happy09DVWinner- please keep us posted!!

unfortunately for me it seems, my local field office (New York City) is processing 485s from October of 2007!!! I may have to rethink this whole AOS thing, suck it up and go do the whole CP process in Europe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

In addition, I try to check the processing time of my local office, seems like it process case pretty fast, compared to all the other office nearby. I think that's why I get the biometric and interview appointment earlier. Here is its processing time shown in the uscis.gov

I thought biometric letter/appointment will be issued by MSC not the local office, isn't it?

I thought biometric letter/appointment will be issued by MSC not the local office, isn't it?

The procedure defined in their SOP is quit complicated. Most apps take different paths towards one of two possible outcomes - an approval or a denial. To preserve one's own sanity its probably advisible to just hang back and let them do what they do and however they want to do it. They will contact us when they have something for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my attorney knows better than you what we can and cannot do and what's helpful at this point. and on top of that you don't get the facts right: it hasn't been 2 weeks. also, where does it say that you should contact them in emergencies only...i didnt see that. Just the opposite, it says that you can contact them as soon as you file.

U just sent in ur applications and u think that u should be put in front of the line??????: I am not going to even reply to that absurd comment.
Your congresswoman can write to USCIS all she wants but they will explain to her that your application has just been recieved and that everything is going on Smoothly: I will take that.

btw dude, don't attack me because everyone is free to do what they feel is right. If you have something positive to say, go ahead...otherwise...

windv, I'd like to say that I agree with johnkent. It's been only 6 weeks since you submitted your application. There's a lot of wait involved in this process. I've waited for my card for NINE MONTHS - through DV-08. Consider yourself lucky that you got a low case number and were able to send in your application very early. Just wait a little more time. You're not the only one in this situation so there's no reason to panic - to think that something went wrong regarding your application.

For me, I believe that the senator/congressman office did wonders. I think I wouldn't have received the card without their help - in the form of occasional inquiries about my case (my aos-dv application is a story in itself - details in the AOS-2008 forum).

Now ... why do I agree with johnkent ? Because, in the past few years, many many people turn to congressional offices for help and if they're flooded with too many requests, they might not be able to help people that REALLY need it.

Of course, you're free to do whatever you think it's necessary. You also seem to have a lawyer that advises you ... I would have imagined that he/she will say to wait a little longer.

Good luck !

Me too I agree with Johnkent.

Although I got my Biomentric App. letter last week, but there is no thing on the website about the case of my kids.
Also, calling USCIS, will not help, they will read to yo what is on the website.
if there is no thing on the website, they will ask you to wait.....
So, just wait, if in the worest case you didn't recieve any thing after another month, you start contacting the congressman, attorney or whatever you like.

Me too I agree with Johnkent.

Although I got my Biomentric App. letter last week, but there is no thing on the website about the case of my kids.
Also, calling USCIS, will not help, they will read to yo what is on the website.
if there is no thing on the website, they will ask you to wait.....
So, just wait, if in the worest case you didn't recieve any thing after another month, you start contacting the congressman, attorney or whatever you like.

Thank you all for your comments. So you think that we should give it one more month. OK.
ALU4E when you call that number and after you listen to the message about the status of your case, there is an option for problems with your application. one of these options if i remember correctly was if you received your NOA but other members of your family didnt.

Thank you all for your comments. So you think that we should give it one more month. OK.
ALU4E when you call that number and after you listen to the message about the status of your case, there is an option for problems with your application. one of these options if i remember correctly was if you received your NOA but other members of your family didnt.

I got my familiy's biometrics yesterday.
online it says the number is not correct and I have to check the number again.

If you want to talk to a live person at USCIS, press 1 for english then press 2.

If you want to talk to a live person at USCIS, press 1 for english then press 2.

What do you mean by "online it says the number is not correct"?

That happens quite often. they generate the MSC number but they are never put into the online system. It took a few wks for my numbers to come up on USCIS. Actually, they did come up after i did my fingerprint.
As long as you already have received NOA's, u should be fine.

Pictures and staples

Hi guys,

I am planning to send in my application this week and i need some clarifications. Does the pictures have to be glossy? I got my pics in matte finish and want to know if it is OK to use. Can i staple the 4 pages of i-485 together or a paper clip will suffice. Any ideas on this?
Thanks guys

Cheers

Hi guys,

I am planning to send in my application this week and i need some clarifications. Does the pictures have to be glossy? I got my pics in matte finish and want to know if it is OK to use. Can i staple the 4 pages of i-485 together or a paper clip will suffice. Any ideas on this?
Thanks guys

Cheers
According to Instructions for I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Page 3):

"4. Photos.
You must submit two identical color photographs of yourself taken within 30 days of the filing of this application. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and unretouched."​
I'm sure matte finish works too but why take chances? Just give them what they ask for in the instructions.

Should you use staples? Staples are not recomended because they can damage the material they bind. Use paper clips or Binder Clips.

What do you mean by "online it says the number is not correct"?

" Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Case Status Retrieval Failed
This Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center."

That happens quite often. they generate the MSC number but they are never put into the online system. It took a few wks for my numbers to come up on USCIS. Actually, they did come up after i did my fingerprint.
As long as you already have received NOA's, u should be fine.

Did you take any documents on the Biometric other than the NOA and ID, did they ask about any thing?
What about the interview?

Did you take any documents on the Biometric other than the NOA and ID, did they ask about any thing?
What about the interview?

I only took Biometric appointment letter and an ID (old employment authorization card would work too) to biometric appointment.
For interview, they will ask for appointment letter and passport first.My interview was a breeze as it lasted less than 5 mins. The guy pretty much went through my documents before the interview and he just asked a few questions just to make sure that my name and stuff like that were correct.