• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2008 CP Interview Experiences

yes I had a job interview before, but this is first visa interview and the second interview in my entire life..No, I am not a student but I'd like to be :)

Hello every body

I've been reading posts in this forum since August 2007. I had a problem with the activation, but everything seems well now, so I can write posts and comments.

Regarding my interview, it went well as I think. The officer just asked me to submit two additional documents (CV and trancript of my BEng) which I submitted on the day after.

They gave me a small yellow card to get back to the embassy after two weeks from the date of submitting the additional documents.

I hope that there will be no delay in issuing my visa.

Good luck to all of you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello every body

I've been reading posts in this forum since August 2007. I had a problem with the activation, but everything seems well now, so I can write posts and comments.

Regarding my interview, it went well as I think. The officer just aske me to submit two assitional documents (CV and trancript of my BEng) which I submitted on the day after.

They gave me a small yellow card to get back to the embassy after two weeks from the date of submitting the additional documents.

I hope that there will be no delay in issuing my visa.

Good luck to all of you...

Congratulations!

CP differs by country and the nationality..It must be normal processing in the county where you were interviewed..Congratulations..

CP interiew experiences

Friends, why are people in this forum not sharing their interview experiences?

I thought it was a give-and-take thing here. Please give back info even if you didn't take from the forum.

yes please post your experiences.
i'm specially looking forward to reading more about asia.

I had my "interview" two days ago in Bern, Switzerland. I had to wait quite some time but the actual "interview" went VERY quick.
First I had to present all my documents (including bank statements, etc.) to a lady. She asked me when I plan to move to US, and she asked whether I'm still unemployed. I told her that I'm doing an internship right now, she didn't want to know anything more about that.
Then I had to pay the $755 and wait....
After two hours I was called up again, and the officer took my fingerprints and said that it seems like I paid everything and that I should go back to the window where I was first... He didn't ask me anything!
At the first window I received the originals of my documents and the lady said that I'll get my passport with the visa sometime next week! :)
It went SO fast! But I suppose my documents showed that I had enough money and since I have a Masters the education isn't a problem either... but I don't really trust it until I can hold the visa in my hands and then I'll celebrate lol.
Good luck to everyone!

congratulations Igmu.:) i'm happy for you.
just a question: are you originally from switzerland?

Thanks! Yes, I'm originally from Switzerland. And as I have only lived in Switzerland (and in USA for 8months), it was easy to get all the necessary documents.

I had my "interview" two days ago in Bern, Switzerland. I had to wait quite some time but the actual "interview" went VERY quick.
First I had to present all my documents (including bank statements, etc.) to a lady. She asked me when I plan to move to US, and she asked whether I'm still unemployed. I told her that I'm doing an internship right now, she didn't want to know anything more about that.
Then I had to pay the $755 and wait....
After two hours I was called up again, and the officer took my fingerprints and said that it seems like I paid everything and that I should go back to the window where I was first... He didn't ask me anything!
At the first window I received the originals of my documents and the lady said that I'll get my passport with the visa sometime next week! :)
It went SO fast! But I suppose my documents showed that I had enough money and since I have a Masters the education isn't a problem either... but I don't really trust it until I can hold the visa in my hands and then I'll celebrate lol.
Good luck to everyone!

So happy for you... l believe strongly that your joy will be our joy and many others in this house:)

Thanks! Yes, I'm originally from Switzerland. And as I have only lived in Switzerland (and in USA for 8months), it was easy to get all the necessary documents.

thanks for the reply.
and enjoy the new status.:)

Just came back to US, passed custom, and finally got our temporary visa (valid for one year) stamped. It's been a tough CP for both my wife and I. My wife is the primary winner and I am just the spouse. Her case number is 2008AS10XX and we had our interview on Oct. 1st in Tokyo, Japan. She is Japanese and I am from Taiwan. The interview took longer than we thought (about 10 mins or so) and did not go as smooth compare to other successful cases I read on this forum, needless to say about the painful waiting time.

Our appointment was 8:30 AM and, of course, we arrived much earlier than the appointment time. Since our appointment time was so early, we thought we should be the first one or two immigration visa interview at that day; however, there were eight groups in front of us already. Only the first calling (document checking) is following by the arrival order (we were No. 9), it became random calling after that (taking fingerprints, interview …etc.). I am not sure what the reason was (maybe we were couple or I am from different country than Japan), but many people came after us end up getting their interview before us.

10:45 AM was the time we finally talked to IO. The conversation started with simple greeting with oath and some straight forward questions, such as “how long you guys been live in the US”, “ how long you guys been married”, “where do you live in US?”, “What kind of job my wife has”. Then, the interesting part began, he started to focus on me. He asked about my military service and my job in detail, such as “what did I do in military?” and “What king of job do I have?”. Since I am a programmer, he started to ask my job description, and qualification, such as “what kind of programming do I do?”, “what language do I use?”, “examples?”, “what’s the requirement of my job?” …etc. I was not expecting to become the focus of this interview since I am not the primary winner.

After that, he had couple “concerns” regarding to my birth certificate and household registration record (Koseki) different than what they usually received from people from Taiwan. One problem was the format of my birth certificate. It did not have my name listed clearly at the beginning but at bottom right corner of the “paper” (not even in the form). It was issued from hospital where I was born and accepted by registration office as the “Official Birth Certificate”. It was original copy from hospital 33 years ago and now kept in registration office. I guess things were different back at that time.

Similar thing happened to my household registration record. I went back Taiwan to request the household registration record from household registration office. They issued only the part about me (my name, my ID number, my parents’ names, where I was born …etc.) and didn’t include the whole family’s information (my brother’s name, my sister’s name …etc.). Because of this, the print out has “partial” on the certificate title. The IO concern this might not include my complete information (he thought “partial” means “my partial information”).

As a result, he was saying that they needed to contact American Embassy in Taiwan to verify these documents and could not issue us the VISA until documents were verified. So, I suggest him to keep our passports and inform us when documents are verified and our VISA are issued.

We ended up had to take an additional week off, postpone our flight, and pay around $19 per call or per email to the customer care company authorized by the embassy to check on our visa status. There is no direct line to contact the Embassy, only through the customer care company. And, even the customer care company can only communicate with Embassy through Email. Each status check request submitted by custom and sent out by the customer care company will take up to three days to respond. We called 4 times and wrote one email, but no one could give us a clear answer whether document had been verified or additional document was need).

It took them 10 days to finally issue our visa. Those 10 days felt like a month long. My wife was so depressed that she had hard time to sleep. I felt so hopeless and kept contact my family in Taiwan to gather any additional document that might help embassy speed up the process, but to be honest with you all, even after I received my visa, I still not sure what was the correct birth document that helped me received the visa. IO kept mentioning about a document has a red seal on it, but none of my birth certificate or my household registration certificate has red seal on it.

In short, do as much research as possible (contact embassy if needed) to make sure what are those exactly documents does the embassy need and get them as early as you can (however, there is a “within 6 month” restriction on some documents, so be careful).

Above is my personal experience with Tokyo embassy, it might not apply to other embassy, so aware.

Finally, good luck to all of you who have your interview coming up!

Congratulations!!!!

Just came back to US, passed custom, and finally got our temporary visa (valid for one year) stamped. It's been a tough CP for both my wife and I. My wife is the primary winner and I am just the spouse. Her case number is 2008AS10XX and we had our interview on Oct. 1st in Tokyo, Japan. She is Japanese and I am from Taiwan. The interview took longer than we thought (about 10 mins or so) and did not go as smooth compare to other successful cases I read on this forum, needless to say about the painful waiting time.

Our appointment was 8:30 AM and, of course, we arrived much earlier than the appointment time. Since our appointment time was so early, we thought we should be the first one or two immigration visa interview at that day; however, there were eight groups in front of us already. Only the first calling (document checking) is following by the arrival order (we were No. 9), it became random calling after that (taking fingerprints, interview …etc.). I am not sure what the reason was (maybe we were couple or I am from different country than Japan), but many people came after us end up getting their interview before us.

10:45 AM was the time we finally talked to IO. The conversation started with simple greeting with oath and some straight forward questions, such as “how long you guys been live in the US”, “ how long you guys been married”, “where do you live in US?”, “What kind of job my wife has”. Then, the interesting part began, he started to focus on me. He asked about my military service and my job in detail, such as “what did I do in military?” and “What king of job do I have?”. Since I am a programmer, he started to ask my job description, and qualification, such as “what kind of programming do I do?”, “what language do I use?”, “examples?”, “what’s the requirement of my job?” …etc. I was not expecting to become the focus of this interview since I am not the primary winner.

After that, he had couple “concerns” regarding to my birth certificate and household registration record (Koseki) different than what they usually received from people from Taiwan. One problem was the format of my birth certificate. It did not have my name listed clearly at the beginning but at bottom right corner of the “paper” (not even in the form). It was issued from hospital where I was born and accepted by registration office as the “Official Birth Certificate”. It was original copy from hospital 33 years ago and now kept in registration office. I guess things were different back at that time.

Similar thing happened to my household registration record. I went back Taiwan to request the household registration record from household registration office. They issued only the part about me (my name, my ID number, my parents’ names, where I was born …etc.) and didn’t include the whole family’s information (my brother’s name, my sister’s name …etc.). Because of this, the print out has “partial” on the certificate title. The IO concern this might not include my complete information (he thought “partial” means “my partial information”).

As a result, he was saying that they needed to contact American Embassy in Taiwan to verify these documents and could not issue us the VISA until documents were verified. So, I suggest him to keep our passports and inform us when documents are verified and our VISA are issued.

We ended up had to take an additional week off, postpone our flight, and pay around $19 per call or per email to the customer care company authorized by the embassy to check on our visa status. There is no direct line to contact the Embassy, only through the customer care company. And, even the customer care company can only communicate with Embassy through Email. Each status check request submitted by custom and sent out by the customer care company will take up to three days to respond. We called 4 times and wrote one email, but no one could give us a clear answer whether document had been verified or additional document was need).

It took them 10 days to finally issue our visa. Those 10 days felt like a month long. My wife was so depressed that she had hard time to sleep. I felt so hopeless and kept contact my family in Taiwan to gather any additional document that might help embassy speed up the process, but to be honest with you all, even after I received my visa, I still not sure what was the correct birth document that helped me received the visa. IO kept mentioning about a document has a red seal on it, but none of my birth certificate or my household registration certificate has red seal on it.

In short, do as much research as possible (contact embassy if needed) to make sure what are those exactly documents does the embassy need and get them as early as you can (however, there is a “within 6 month” restriction on some documents, so be careful).

Above is my personal experience with Tokyo embassy, it might not apply to other embassy, so aware.

Finally, good luck to all of you who have your interview coming up!
Congratulations, man. Sorry, it turned out to be a "TOUGHCASE":D; Ihope you don't mind the pun.
Hopefully you can relax and enjoy your status.
Congratulations again.

congratulations toughcase even though it WAS a tough case;)

may everyone on this board get their visa:)

Congratulations ToughCase!

I don't think your case was so tough after all. Some folks have had to wait many long months before they finally got their visa. Nevertheless, congratulations on the successful completion of your case. You can relax now and your wife can sleep easy :D

Toughcase your case is really tough but the most important thing is that you are successful at last because the and justifies the means. I once again congratulate you because some other people went there and were not successful.

Baba Aladura you have abandoned your people oooo. what is happening? you left us in the cold. please come around and make your presence felt againoooo

Hi every one please lets encourage our less privillaged partners who dont have access to internet so that they can be informed about the dv program. Information any body who you come accross that the 2009 dv program is on now so that people will be aware and apply online. Also since we sort know the rule, we will endeavor guide tell them in filling the online forms so that if they eventually win, their chances of getting visa will not be hampered by the mistake they made while applying. For example, the issue of Full names, Spelling, Date of birth, Place of birth and other minor issues, that some people, especially, we Africans neglect. Thanx and have a nice day.