• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2008 CP Interview Experiences

Successful Interview in Sydney

Hubby & I had our interview at the US Consulate in Sydney yesterday. We arrived at the elevators at around 7.20am and had to wait for about 10 minutes for the elevators to let us up to level 10 reception where we went through the security check…just like at the airport. I was so tired I forgot to get our passports and appointment letter ready, so heaps of people went in ahead of us while I fumbled around in our folders for the documents. It was very busy that day as the consulate had been closed on Tuesday and Wednesday (I asked why but they wouldn’t tell us) so we didn’t get up to the 59th floor and into the consulate until around 8.15am.

We went to the ticket machine and pressed the top button – Immigrant Visas – and out popped number 5. Damn! I thought we would be waiting around for ages, but they must have been ready for the extra interviews that day and we were only waiting for about 10 minutes before we were called to window 1. The friendly lady at the counter asked us how she could help us and we explained we were there for our DV interview and handed over our pile of documents…hubby first as he is the primary applicant, and then mine. I was so busy with pushing the documents through that little space under the window that I completely forgot to give them my 3kg Express Post envelope and had to fumble around for that, then she had to hand it back to me as I had also forgotten to put our address on the front. After so many months of sorting, organising and research, I felt like I didn’t know what was doing! She was very patient and eventually we had everything sorted out. She asked us to take a seat and wait to be called for fingerprinting.

We only waited about 5 minutes or so before our number was called to window 4 and another nice lady took our fingerprints. We had time to mention the awesome view from up there and she laughed and said it was a shame that she never saw it as she had her back to it all day. They have a 360 degree view from all sides of the consulate.

After the electronic fingerprinting we went to window 7 to the cashier to pay our fees. We had checked the exchange rate that morning and were happy to note it was still up around 94 cents…but NOT at the consulate. We were charged 86 cents in the dollar, a nice little earner for them! If you can, try not to pay by credit card as you pay extra because of this.

Then it was back to our seats to wait for our number to be called up again. We sat next to a very stressed Aussie who, it turns out was a DV winner from 10 years ago. He had recently been robbed and couldn’t get back home (to the US) as his passport and green card had been stolen. He was applying for a temporary something or other so he could get back to the states. Note: Once you get it…don’t lose your green card! After an interesting chat with stressed Aussie we were once again called to window 1. The lady indicated that everything was in order, asked us to swear that everything we had given them was true and were we part of a terrorist organisation, to which we answered yes and no respectively. Then it was back to our seats to wait for the final interview.

Again it was only 5 minutes or so before we were called up to window 5 where a lovely American man asked us to sign our original applications. He then mentioned the missing Canadian Police Certificate. Yes, we responded, we applied for them as soon as we were asked by the US Consulate in Sydney. That was about a month ago and it takes 120 days for them to process the application. The nice American seemed a little surprised at that and said that he would hold on to our passports until we send the police certificate. They would then stamp the visa into our passports and post them back to us. It took me a while to realise what he had just said! So, we got them? Yes, he smiled, pending the Police Certificate and photocopies. Awesome!!! We were out of there by 9.30am. The whole process took only 45 minutes!

After months of gathering paperwork, and doing heaps of research, and taking so many extra documents it all seemed almost anticlimactic. I thought it was going to be much more difficult. But, thanks to all the great information from everyone on these forums, it all went smoothly. We should receive our police certificates around early August, and our visas not long after that.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed information on this forum, and everyone who responded to my queries. It was because of your help all that I felt so confident, and had such a positive experience.

After months of gathering paperwork, and doing heaps of research, and taking so many extra documents it all seemed almost anticlimactic. I thought it was going to be much more difficult. But, thanks to all the great information from everyone on these forums, it all went smoothly. We should receive our police certificates around early August, and our visas not long after that.

Congratulations neena59! This is definitely a successful interview.

I sort of stumbled into this thread (I'm DV 2008 doing AOS) and wanted to suggest that you really try to get those Canadian certificates as soon as possible and not in August.

The reason is that as you know there's a limited number of visas available to DV winners (there's a global limit and a per-region limit). When KCC schedules an interview for you, it reserves a visa number specifically for you and the others in your family, provided you receive your visa in the same month as the interview.

If, as in your case, you don't receive your visa in the same month, the number is sent back to KCC. You will then need to have a new number requested for you from KCC.

Visa numbers are sometimes exhausted before the end of September. It could also happen that by August KCC allocates all available visa numbers for your region to people with upcoming interviews. In this case, the consular officer would be unable to issue you a visa, even if he really wanted to, and you would be in a very unhappy situation.

So try to get your Canadian certificate as soon as possible. I'm sure they have reasonable people there. Perhaps they have a procedure where you can pay an expedite fee, or send a fax explaining that you're in a situation where it's essential that you get the certificate as soon as possible.

Don't panic if you don't get the certificate this month. I think it would be ok if you get it in June as well. But August is somewhat risky.

Good luck!

Yeah, I sent an email to the RCMP asking them to let me know how the police check is progressing and when to expect the certificates. I haven't heard back yet but only sent the email on Thursday afternoon.

I also asked the consular officer what the chances of them not having a visa available, and he seemed to think it was ok. Looking at previous years, Australia usually only uses around 85% of their available numbers, but they are racing through the numbers this year so who knows.

I am fairly confident we should be ok, but I am anxious to get the paperwork finalized, for sure!

Yeah, I sent an email to the RCMP asking them to let me know how the police check is progressing and when to expect the certificates. I haven't heard back yet but only sent the email on Thursday afternoon.

I also asked the consular officer what the chances of them not having a visa available, and he seemed to think it was ok. Looking at previous years, Australia usually only uses around 85% of their available numbers, but they are racing through the numbers this year so who knows.

I am fairly confident we should be ok, but I am anxious to get the paperwork finalized, for sure!

I looked at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/finger2_e.htm:

Electronic fingerprint submissions:

In an effort to process criminal verification requests more quickly, the RCMP is implementing the Real Time Identification (RTID) Project to modernize these processes and promote electronic fingerprint submissions. The goal of CCRTIS is to respond to 85% of civil requests (those that do not hit a criminal file) submitted electronically within 72 hours. If a criminal record is encountered during the verification process, the turnaround time could exceed 120 days. You may enquire at your local police service about electronic fingerprinting. If they do not perform this service, they may be able to refer you to approved private firms. These firms can also be located in local yellow pages and internet searches using the term 'fingerprinting services canada.’

Before you make inquiries about your request, make sure you’ve taken into account not only the time it takes to process your request but also the time it takes to mail it to you.

It seems that if you have your fingerprints taken electronically, they can turn them around in 72 hours. If I were you, I would use this service and get my visa in May. :)

Hi,
I am from Asia, AS 79XX and finished my interview (CP) in April. I hope to contribute something here for someone who is waiting for her/his interview (CP). It was very easy for me. Only one question was asked: "where did you learn English?" That's all, and the officer said that I would have the immigrant visa within one week. I got it in two days.

Hi,
I am from Asia, AS 79XX and finished my interview (CP) in April. I hope to contribute something here for someone who is waiting for her/his interview (CP). It was very easy for me. Only one question was asked: "where did you learn English?" That's all, and the officer said that I would have the immigrant visa within one week. I got it in two days.

Congratulations!

I am still waiting for 2nd letter even my number is current.....I wanna ask you how much was your bank statement. Is that enough if it would be over $30000 for just 1 people???

yes ted is right ur english level job education level bank amount etc. is important its can be easy for u but may be wont be easy for us..

30 000 is enough and i think its much much enough because level is 13 000 i thınk

Neena's Visa Arrived

Just a quick update...Hubby's Canadian Police Certificate arrived last week and we sent it off on Monday, and we received the visa's today!

So, the Canadian Police Certificate only took 45 days...not 120 days as mentioned on their website.

We entered to the US at POE LAX on 15th June 2008. Yesterday, on 23rd June we received welcome letters. Today on 24th June we received our GCs :), seems it is very fast, it took only 9 days to receive GC s.
Good luck to all..

Congratulation, it seems you are the fastest reported so far, I tought it tooks at least 1-2 months.:)

thanks to both of you.
California service center really works faster..social security office where we applied for my daughter also works very well..in 1 week we got ssn. Regards

We entered to the US at POE LAX on 15th June 2008. Yesterday, on 23rd June we received welcome letters. Today on 24th June we received our GCs :), seems it is very fast, it took only 9 days to receive GC s.
Good luck to all..

Congratulations! It's amazing they were so quick in processing your GCs.

So the GC arrives in the mail. Could you please tell me what validity it carries?

I understand it's 10 years but I also read that it's 2 years initially and then the following GC is 10 years. True?

Also after you arrive in the US, what mailing address do you give them for the GCs? The hotel you are staying at?

Hi,

Did they ask for tax records, pay stubs and letter of employment from your company?

GC through lottery valid 10 years, this is for life time, but the card's validity is 10 years.

The address is not a hotel, home address near LA, in san bernardino belonging to my relatives. It was the same address as we mentioned on the forms, no changes.

good luck..

Congratulations! It's amazing they were so quick in processing your GCs.

So the GC arrives in the mail. Could you please tell me what validity it carries?

I understand it's 10 years but I also read that it's 2 years initially and then the following GC is 10 years. True?

Also after you arrive in the US, what mailing address do you give them for the GCs? The hotel you are staying at?