• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2008 CP Interview Experiences

Mustangy, just read your info re receipt of NL etc, I see that you are awaiting your 2nd NL letter so how do you know that your interview is in 1st week of October? Good luck anyway

Claudjen 1 , you can call KCC and give them your case number. Their telephone number is on the first NL. Just tell them you want to enquire whether your interview letter has been sent out and if so, when is the interview date. I have always called them to enquire and each time they will answer my question. Until I finally received my interview letter. I was told the interview date before I even received my letter. Give them your name and case number (CN). :)

2009 case number didint been current yet .. But every year avarega fırst 5 000 cases are beıng current at the first mont thats why if my number is just 3xx its mean %99 percent its will be in october.

Last edited by a moderator:
we dont have in our country first and middle name classification. When I received first NL i realised that I had interchanged first and middle names during DV online entry. [the names should be appeared as they appear on the passport].

So:

if my names: a=first b= second (middle) , I made an entry a=second (middle) [because I use this name) b=first. I asked the people for help on this forum in order to get their advise, besides I called KCC. I filled out the forms ds 230 and dsp 122 as KCC requested, with the names as they appear on my passport, so I corrected the mistake on the forms and sent them along with a letter explaining the mistake. In such cases KCC cannot change your original DV entry, they can just edit your file and include the mistake into your case file. At the end we obtained our visas without any problem and any additional question regarding this mistake.

Good luck..

Thanks for your encouragement. i also have a problem with my first name spelling i have posted a lot about it on this forum seeking for advice. I left the letter H on the online application and it appears on my passport. I did not fill a correction for form 230 since people advised me KCC cannot change till i go for the interview. So I am just crossing my fingers. Do you think it will be such a big deal??

My wife and I had our interview in Seoul on 1 July. After a 3 hour wait while mostly family based cases were interviewed, with interviews going on for about 15 minutes each, we got called up to the window. The interview lasted for only 1 minute! After a few basic questions, the officer stated the documents were in order and then explained the procedure to follow at the POE.

That was it - we were stunned that it was so simple after all the preparation! No questions were asked about the spelling of our family name being slightly different on my birth certificate and previous passport (on which the original online entry was based). Also, no financial documents or affidavit of support was asked for. We had called the embassy the week before and they said we didn't need anything other than educational certificates, but we had brought a bunch of financial statements just in case.

Thanks to all the contributers on this forum we were well prepared and this resulted in an exceptionally smooth CP experience!

Congratulations! It sounds like you had the perfect interview.

Could you please give us some more details?
I understand that you first hand-over your documents to one window (a person kind of makes sure you have all the documents), wait and then get called for the interview at another window with another officer whom gives the visas if satisfied.

1) Did you only see one officer, the same person for the documents and the interview?

2) Also, you had prepared all the documents but only handed over the ones he asked for as you were being interviewed or did you hand over the documents to the screener and kept the financials to give only if the interviewer asked for them?

Successful interview

Yesterday, we had our interview at the U.S Embassy in Lagos, and it was successful. I thank you all for your advice, God who did it for us will surely do for you and yours.

Here goes my story.

My family & I arrived at the embassy gate @ 7.15am, due to the heavy rain, we arrived late, the security guys at the gate asked us Non - immigrant or immigrant, i said immigrant and we were ushered to join the queue, was asked to open all evelopes, bring out our appointment letters. We were screened, given a number and filed into the hall. My hubby made our payments and we were asked to wait. After some minutes, my 4 year old son started palying with my 7 months old baby, and the hall was lively with smiles, giggle and laughter coming from them and all attention was on them. Anyway i wasn't bothered because i was thinking of my interview ahead.

At about 8.00am, we were called to a window, by a nice gentleman to present our documents, and the guy was so impressed and commended us on how the papers were arranged and sorted with ease. After then, we were asked move up to another room and wait, then it was in this interview room i saw people waiting to be interviewed. There was a case of some denials but don't really know the reasons for their denials but there's the case of a lady with 3 kids and her busband, i think it has to do with her education background, she was denied the visa and she lost control of her self and threw her papers away, abandoned all her stuff and walked away, her husband had to pack the things and followed her out, everybody became scared and their was tension in the room.

Three minutes later, the same lady in window 10 called a number, i thot it was ours but not so sure, or maybe i was scared to face her becos of other denials, did not move, my husband was looking at me trying to tell me get up, when the lady called us again, then we got up but a thot came into me as i was waking towards her window that victory is ours, says the Lord.

The interview started:

VO: Good Morning & How are you?
US: Fine, Thank you.
VO: You are here today becos you won a lottery, but that does not guarantee you to get a visa.
VO: raise your right hand up and repeat after me...................................
US : repeated what she said.
VO: Ask for our finger print. our 4 year old son was eager to be lifted to do his but the VO said it's not for kids and laughed.
She asked my hubby to go sit with the kids.
VO: What are your names?
me: ................................................
VO: Date of birth?
me:........................
VO: Place of birth?
me:................................
VO: Do you have a job, Where do you work and as what?
me:......................................................
VO: You have an MBA result, did you do a project? what was the topic
me: Bla bla bla...............................................(i can't remember what i actual said but i know i tried to say much i know about it, and she was imppressed bcos i notices she smiled at the end.
VO: Your baby's date of birth?
me:.....................................
Vo: Do you have pictures family pictures?
me: yes, gave about 50 pictures of me, during pregnancy, dedication, marriages family, together. She saw my big pregnancy tummy and pointed that it's big, i said yes, bcos i was eating too much, she laughed and said i enjoy making people laugh and i said but she said me a question and i answered.
VO:It's like my 2 boys 4 & 7 months get along easily, that she notices they play and laugh together.
me: yes, but sometimes, the 4 year old get frustrated bcos the smaller one can't talk or walk yet.
Vo: smiled and said good and started typing excused herself, got a blue slip and said i or my hubby should come for our visas next week.

The whole interview lasted for just 5 minutes!

Note: no question was asked about Affidavit of support, about my baby's name not in my appointment letter or emails i sent to KCC about his case.
( you know i had my fears about that).
Just, be composed & be organised, smile, look into their eyes as you talk and answer just what they asked you.(Pls. no long story)

AT LAST, we got it, that's what really matters, it feels sooooooooo good.

Thank you all, and i know, you know yourselves, who in one way or the other help made the journey a success.

The remaining space would not be enough to contain all the names if i start thanking everybody one by one. I hope you understand and i also hope i made a point for somebody to learn from.

To all those waiting for their interviews, you will have a success story like mine:D

yesterday, We Had Our Interview At The U.s Embassy In Lagos, And It Was Successful. I Thank You All For Your Advice, God Who Did It For Us Will Surely Do For You And Yours.

Here Goes My Story.

My Family & I Arrived At The Embassy Gate @ 7.15am, Due To The Heavy Rain, We Arrived Late, The Security Guys At The Gate Asked Us Non - Immigrant Or Immigrant, I Said Immigrant And We Were Ushered To Join The Queue, Was Asked To Open All Evelopes, Bring Out Our Appointment Letters. We Were Screened, Given A Number And Filed Into The Hall. My Hubby Made Our Payments And We Were Asked To Wait. After Some Minutes, My 4 Year Old Son Started Palying With My 7 Months Old Baby, And The Hall Was Lively With Smiles, Giggle And Laughter Coming From Them And All Attention Was On Them. Anyway I Wasn't Bothered Because I Was Thinking Of My Interview Ahead.

At About 8.00am, We Were Called To A Window, By A Nice Gentleman To Present Our Documents, And The Guy Was So Impressed And Commended Us On How The Papers Were Arranged And Sorted With Ease. After Then, We Were Asked Move Up To Another Room And Wait, Then It Was In This Interview Room I Saw People Waiting To Be Interviewed. There Was A Case Of Some Denials But Don't Really Know The Reasons For Their Denials But There's The Case Of A Lady With 3 Kids And Her Busband, I Think It Has To Do With Her Education Background, She Was Denied The Visa And She Lost Control Of Her Self And Threw Her Papers Away, Abandoned All Her Stuff And Walked Away, Her Husband Had To Pack The Things And Followed Her Out, Everybody Became Scared And Their Was Tension In The Room.

Three Minutes Later, The Same Lady In Window 10 Called A Number, I Thot It Was Ours But Not So Sure, Or Maybe I Was Scared To Face Her Becos Of Other Denials, Did Not Move, My Husband Was Looking At Me Trying To Tell Me Get Up, When The Lady Called Us Again, Then We Got Up But A Thot Came Into Me As I Was Waking Towards Her Window That Victory Is Ours, Says The Lord.

The Interview Started:

Vo: Good Morning & How Are You?
Us: Fine, Thank You.
Vo: You Are Here Today Becos You Won A Lottery, But That Does Not Guarantee You To Get A Visa.
Vo: Raise Your Right Hand Up And Repeat After Me...................................
Us : Repeated What She Said.
Vo: Ask For Our Finger Print. Our 4 Year Old Son Was Eager To Be Lifted To Do His But The Vo Said It's Not For Kids And Laughed.
She Asked My Hubby To Go Sit With The Kids.
Vo: What Are Your Names?
Me: ................................................
Vo: Date Of Birth?
Me:........................
Vo: Place Of Birth?
Me:................................
Vo: Do You Have A Job, Where Do You Work And As What?
Me:......................................................
Vo: You Have An Mba Result, Did You Do A Project? What Was The Topic
Me: Bla Bla Bla...............................................(i Can't Remember What I Actual Said But I Know I Tried To Say Much I Know About It, And She Was Imppressed Bcos I Notices She Smiled At The End.
Vo: Your Baby's Date Of Birth?
Me:.....................................
Vo: Do You Have Pictures Family Pictures?
Me: Yes, Gave About 50 Pictures Of Me, During Pregnancy, Dedication, Marriages Family, Together. She Saw My Big Pregnancy Tummy And Pointed That It's Big, I Said Yes, Bcos I Was Eating Too Much, She Laughed And Said I Enjoy Making People Laugh And I Said But She Said Me A Question And I Answered.
Vo:it's Like My 2 Boys 4 & 7 Months Get Along Easily, That She Notices They Play And Laugh Together.
Me: Yes, But Sometimes, The 4 Year Old Get Frustrated Bcos The Smaller One Can't Talk Or Walk Yet.
Vo: Smiled And Said Good And Started Typing Excused Herself, Got A Blue Slip And Said I Or My Hubby Should Come For Our Visas Next Week.

The Whole Interview Lasted For Just 5 Minutes!

Note: No Question Was Asked About Affidavit Of Support, About My Baby's Name Not In My Appointment Letter Or Emails I Sent To Kcc About His Case.
( You Know I Had My Fears About That).
Just, Be Composed & Be Organised, Smile, Look Into Their Eyes As You Talk And Answer Just What They Asked You.(pls. No Long Story)

At Last, We Got It, That's What Really Matters, It Feels Sooooooooo Good.

Thank You All, And I Know, You Know Yourselves, Who In One Way Or The Other Help Made The Journey A Success.

The Remaining Space Would Not Be Enough To Contain All The Names If I Start Thanking Everybody One By One. I Hope You Understand And I Also Hope I Made A Point For Somebody To Learn From.

To All Those Waiting For Their Interviews, You Will Have A Success Story Like Mine:d
congratulations My Sister:d

Congratulations! It sounds like you had the perfect interview.

Could you please give us some more details?
I understand that you first hand-over your documents to one window (a person kind of makes sure you have all the documents), wait and then get called for the interview at another window with another officer whom gives the visas if satisfied.

1) Did you only see one officer, the same person for the documents and the interview?

2) Also, you had prepared all the documents but only handed over the ones he asked for as you were being interviewed or did you hand over the documents to the screener and kept the financials to give only if the interviewer asked for them?

Thanks u00u. Yes it was as you said, we did hand over our documents at the first window to a Korean lady who checked them and placed them in the required order. She wanted the originals and copies and asked us to fill in a courier form with our address for the passports to be delivered later. She didn't want any financials, but we had them ready in case the interviewer asked for them later. At first she assumed I was an American petitioning for a foreign wife and was confused when I handed over a non American passport and thought I was a dual citizen. It was cleared up when I explained it was a DV case.

After waiting for about an hour we were called up to another window to be fingerprinted by an American officer. A little while later we were told to go to another window to pay the $1550. After waiting some more we were called to another window where another American officer interviewed us. He didn't ask for any more documents. So we saw different people each time we were called up.

I should add we never received the 2nd notification letter by post. We found out our interview schedule by emailing KCC. Shortly before the interview I called KCC and told them it hadn't arrived. They immediately emailed it to me.

Congratulations mummydd! That's great. So much preparation and anticipation and it paid-off.

Thank you elaichi for your prompt response.

Thank you both for your detailed responses.

Could each of you please tell us what documents you gave at the first window?

the KCC DV appointment letter
Passports + copies
birth certificates + copies
marriage certificate + copy
diplomas + copies
medical exam results in sealed envelope + X-Ray
police certificates for countries where one lived for more than 12 months + copies
1 picture for each applicant to the required dimensions

what else at the first window (besides the financials which elaichi kept with him)?

Congratulations mummydd! That's great. So much preparation and anticipation and it paid-off.

Thank you elaichi for your prompt response.

Thank you both for your detailed responses.

Could each of you please tell us what documents you gave at the first window?

the KCC DV appointment letter
Passports + copies
birth certificates + copies
marriage certificate + copy
diplomas + copies
medical exam results in sealed envelope + X-Ray
police certificates for countries where one lived for more than 12 months + copies
1 picture for each applicant to the required dimensions

what else at the first window (besides the financials which elaichi kept with him)?

Also, required are:

International passport
an original copy of vacination sheet (part of medical result). The x-ray was return to us.
2 white background passport size photos (not 2" by 2")

Thank you for getting back so quickly.

The KCC insert in the 2d (appointment) notification letter package mentioned that the copies all originals must be certified. Is it true?

So nothing else then... you were prepared: you had pictures. I didn't think of gathering some. Will do so now.

Also, required are:

International passport
an original copy of vacination sheet (part of medical result). The x-ray was return to us.

The same for me, x-ray was also returned. No copies of the police certificates as the original is kept by them. They only needed one 2" by 2" photo for each applicant.

Thank you for getting back so quickly.

The KCC insert in the 2d (appointment) notification letter package mentioned that the copies all originals must be certified. Is it true?

So nothing else then... you were prepared: you had pictures. I didn't think of gathering some. Will do so now.

I don't think so.

What i did was to presents all original document listed and also copies of the originals separately, with case number written at the upper left hand corners. remember to write your names and case number at the back of the passport photos.

If you have family, go with pics.

My wife and I had our interview in Seoul on 1 July. After a 3 hour wait while mostly family based cases were interviewed, with interviews going on for about 15 minutes each, we got called up to the window. The interview lasted for only 1 minute! After a few basic questions, the officer stated the documents were in order and then explained the procedure to follow at the POE.

That was it - we were stunned that it was so simple after all the preparation! No questions were asked about the spelling of our family name being slightly different on my birth certificate and previous passport (on which the original online entry was based). Also, no financial documents or affidavit of support was asked for. We had called the embassy the week before and they said we didn't need anything other than educational certificates, but we had brought a bunch of financial statements just in case.

Thanks to all the contributers on this forum we were well prepared and this resulted in an exceptionally smooth CP experience!

Congratulations on your successful interview. How was your name different from the online application.. What was different? please share

Also, required are:

International passport

what international passport?? when you do the medical they will include the vaccination sheet?

I don't think so.

What i did was to presents all original document listed and also copies of the originals separately, with case number written at the upper left hand corners. remember to write your names and case number at the back of the passport photos.

If you have family, go with pics.

Understood. Thank you very much.

Please Help!

Congratulations mummydd! What a relief after the tension of the interview room...

Elaichi and others,

We are going to have an interview also in Seoul, Korea. It is quite a challenge to go to Korea to have an interview since we don't know anyone there, we are not koreans. Can you kindly answer some of my questions?
1. Did you get Korean National Police Certificate from a local Korean police station? if so, what did you present to them and how long did it take to get results?
2. If you don't know how to speak Korean, was it challenge to communicate with local people to get around?
3. We are supposed to get our medical exams done in Seoul. We already made our appointment like to days before our scheduled immigration appointment. It's kinda panicky or last minute thing. but we pray that our medical will be done on a same day. Do you think we'll be okay to get our medicals done in one day and get the same day service or get the results on a same day?
4. Let's say, after our interview how long will it take the visas to be delivered to us? We are planning to stay in Seoul untill we get the visas but we don't want to wait that long cuz we gotta do some other stuff back home. We don't have a post office address in Korea. Do you think the visa officer will tell us to come over to the embassy to get the visas in a few days considering our situation? YOu know we cannot leave Korea without our passports...

Thank you in advance,

BigSmile

Hello BigSmile - Don't you have to be a resident/ national of the country where you do the consular processing? It sounds like you/ your spouse are not from South Korea so how did you manage to get them to accept your cases?

Also, I would personally leave a couple of days-time between the medical examination and the interview date/ time. You never know. Blood results take 24 hours to get to the doctor for instance.