Documents needed for Naturalization

That link points to Federal tax transcripts. What I am looking for is state returns transcripts (and for New Jersey state). thanks

From what I've seen, state transcripts are not required. Come to think of it, even federal transcripts are only required if you're filing based on 3 years marriage to USC or you're self-employed.

I think I have all the documents needed. Am ready to file. I will be applying for both myself and my wife. I have about 40 days left to complete 5 years. Couple of questions:

- I travel quite regularly for 3/4 days out of the country in a month. If so, I guess, that does not matter in terms of not listing them on the application since I do not have all the dates etc. finalized yet. Please confirm.

- Should I send both the applications (me and my wife's) in the same envelope or in seperate envelopes. (I want the fp and interviews to be scheduled together).

- I live in Hudson county NJ, does this mean I check times for processing with Newark, NJ as the district offfice or the National services center.

Thanks in advance.

vip1r

I sent mine and my souse's in one envelope, separately binding all connected papers for each - our applications numbers are in sequence (one following the other) and there was no other issue - checks were cashed etc all OK - just waiting to get interview FP letter though

[14] Bring the copy of your I-140, or I-130, or I-360: Thru some recent cases, it has come to light that some officers have asked for a copy of approval notice of any of the above said petition, which was the basis for applicants to have obtained the green card. They have asked this because they were not able to receive the other file on the applicant at the time of interview from Service Center, and sometimes some officers would want to know how you have obtained your green card so that case could be resumed without waiting for other file to be arrived. Again, it is also relevant to the application as to applicant’s eligibility. If you won’t have this with you and officer doesn’t receive other file as well then the decision on your case could be delayed by many months or year.

Was wondering if the I-140 is really needed as I can't secure a copy from my employer.

Thanks for the help!

Graduate degree completion certificate

My wife recently finished her interview -- the IO asked to see her graduate degree completion certificate (she had completed her degree in the past 5 years & had listed a couple of school-jobs in her N-400 app). Lucklily, she had taken hers to the interview.

Just an FYI for folks since this isn't listed in the master list of docs.

I think I have all the documents needed. Am ready to file. I will be applying for both myself and my wife. I have about 40 days left to complete 5 years. Couple of questions:

- I travel quite regularly for 3/4 days out of the country in a month. If so, I guess, that does not matter in terms of not listing them on the application since I do not have all the dates etc. finalized yet. Please confirm.

- Should I send both the applications (me and my wife's) in the same envelope or in seperate envelopes. (I want the fp and interviews to be scheduled together).

- I live in Hudson county NJ, does this mean I check times for processing with Newark, NJ as the district offfice or the National services center.

Thanks in advance.

I think this site has Eligibility tool which covers travel questions..not sure but you may want to check. Citizenship Eligibility Test tool at

http://www.immipros.com

Selective Service Resgistration Question: When filing N400, how do you go about answering why one has not registered for selective service. I got my GC when I was 28yrs old and now I am 33 and I am ready to file for my citizenship. I never knew about this requirement about registering for selctive service. Does anyone have a standard format for explaining why one did not register for SSR? Is the explanation needed as stated in the N400 application?

Thanks!

Below are some postings which provide a comprehensive list about documents/preparation for naturalization interview.

If anyone sees/knows about any other document, with or without their experience...even from hearsay, let me know by posting on this thread so that I could include that in my list...so long it would seem justifiable.

Good luck in your naturalization journey....

Johnny cash..Please help me answer this question:-

I have my Citizenship interview on the 16th of November and it is 27 days prior to my 5th anniversary of being PR.Would it be a problem ?I am concernedas I read somewhere in this forum that if your application is denied for some reason and you have not been PR for 5years at the interview date than your PR status is revoked as well.Is it true?
I have astraight forward case(Employment based) but I applied 90 days prior to my 5th anniversary.I hope i did not mad mistake by doing so.also my second question is Can I withdraw my application and reapply.what is the procedure of withdrawing? Your help is appreciated.

My wife recently finished her interview -- the IO asked to see her graduate degree completion certificate (she had completed her degree in the past 5 years & had listed a couple of school-jobs in her N-400 app). Lucklily, she had taken hers to the interview.

Just an FYI for folks since this isn't listed in the master list of docs.

You've got to be kidding me. They are asking for college degrees now?

Johnny cash..Please help me answer this question:-

I have my Citizenship interview on the 16th of November and it is 27 days prior to my 5th anniversary of being PR.Would it be a problem ?I am concernedas I read somewhere in this forum that if your application is denied for some reason and you have not been PR for 5years at the interview date than your PR status is revoked as well.Is it true?
I have astraight forward case(Employment based) but I applied 90 days prior to my 5th anniversary.I hope i did not mad mistake by doing so.also my second question is Can I withdraw my application and reapply.what is the procedure of withdrawing? Your help is appreciated.

Worst case scenario: your interview will be rescheduled to a date after the 5 year anniversary of your GC. Best case scenario: your interview will be conducted, but you won't get an oath until after the 5 year anniversary of your GC. You did everything by the book and there's no need to withdraw your application. If anything, mention to the IO that your GC isn't 5 years old yet. There's nothing to worry about.

A quick question about tax transcripts:
They only show the amount to be refunded or the amount due.
In my last 3 years I received a refund twice (06 and 07) and obviously no issues there and I had to pay last year (08). The tax transcripts just shows the amount due and it doesn't say it has been paid.
I think that a copy of the canceled check (downloaded from my online banking) to the IRS for the same amount would work, right?

Hi,
I recently started preparing the N400 form and have the following questions. I did read a lot of the existing posts, but still have the following questions.
Any help in answering these is appreciated:

1. Traffic citation: After reading all posts, I think I will mention the citation on the form. I do understand that I dont need to append any paperwork for citations < $500 etc, but do I still need a 'certified court disposition' for the interview ? What I have currently have is a printout from the online system from court's website.
Also, I should I only answer "YES" to "have you ever been cited/arrested" question ? Or to a few others like "committed an offence/crime for which you were not arrested (only got a traffic ticket that's it, is that offence/crime) ?

2. For one of the previous employments, I do not recall the exact date. Checking with the employers, they dont seem to have the records either (probably used third party) that archieved them.
If I am sure about the month/year, can I simply mention that (e.g. 04/2004 etc) ?

3. I was able to retreive all travel dates except one (for leaving US) (stamp illegible). For that travel, I have the return stamp, annotated 'out-for-2-months". Can I use the leaving-US date as (return - 60 days) approx. (I have already done all research, e.g. tracking airline accounts etc, still cannot retreive this date).

4. There are two stamps in my passport with special annotation (One says out-for-2-moths, other says out-for-3-months). Given that I satisfy all residency requirements stated in N400, is this an issue ?

5. Selective Services Registartion: I visited US between 24-26 years of age on B1 visa. But when entered US on work visa, I was 26 years 3 months, and did not register. Was I required to register ? If so, what issue can this cause, and what are my options ?

6. Should the prinout for filled N400 be single-sided or double-sided ?

7. Between the various forms of fee payment, which one is recommend ? (is personal check an option ?)

8. If I filled my wife's form (online pdf), should I sign as somone who prepared the form (Part 12) for my wife's form ?

Any help is apprecited.

Best Regards,
cd

Two things

1) How can I get Traffic citations for my driver license - NY?
2) I got one speeding ticket in year 2000 and dont remember out of three states which was it as I was driving to texas from NY?
3) My wife had her married name in Indian passport as the passport was issued after we got married, but we forgot to mentioned her maiden name in N-400 (different names used) what will happen??

Two things

2) I got one speeding ticket in year 2000 and dont remember out of three states which was it as I was driving to texas from NY?
3) My wife had her married name in Indian passport as the passport was issued after we got married, but we forgot to mentioned her maiden name in N-400 (different names used) what will happen??

If you received your NY traffic tickets in one of the municipalities covered by the traffic violations bureau and they are over 3 years old, you can't get records of them. As far as the other ticket goes, if you don't know which state you got it in, the only possible way to get a record is if you can get a copy of the canceled check from your bank.

For more info on the traffic violations bureau, go here: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c49.htm

In all honesty, if all your traffic tickets were minor and you can't obtain records, consider not disclosing them. The USCIS doesn't really care about minor traffic violations.

Posting this questions for a friend who is filling out his N-400 application.

If one doesnt remember the exact dates for home addresses and job changes over the last five years, can they just use the months on the form? For example, if the move date or the job change date was 4/15/2005, and they dont remember it can they just say 04/2005?

Posting this questions for a friend who is filling out his N-400 application.

If one doesnt remember the exact dates for home addresses and job changes over the last five years, can they just use the months on the form? For example, if the move date or the job change date was 4/15/2005, and they dont remember it can they just say 04/2005?

Yes. Month/Year format is acceptable.

selective service

Two things

indian expert : help me on this one:-

I entered Us when I was 31. do i still need to get "status Information letter" from Selective service ? I don't have one now and it takes atleast 90 days to get such letter. Let me know please.

indian expert : help me on this one:-

I entered Us when I was 31. do i still need to get "status Information letter" from Selective service ? I don't have one now and it takes atleast 90 days to get such letter. Let me know please.

IO will not ask for selective service, If he does you can tell that you entered at age 31

Hi,
Also, I should I only answer "YES" to "have you ever been cited/arrested" question ? Or to a few others like "committed an offence/crime for which you were not arrested (only got a traffic ticket that's it, is that offence/crime) ?

2. For one of the previous employments, I do not recall the exact date. Checking with the employers, they dont seem to have the records either (probably used third party) that archieved them.
If I am sure about the month/year, can I simply mention that (e.g. 04/2004 etc) ?

cd

1. Yes. Citation needs to be reported. no documentation of fees needed if lesser than $500. In my N-400, by mistake I said No to this question and after filing the application, I realized it was wrong. I had a court copy of the dispositon and during the interview, mentioned it to the officer and she did not care. she was only interested in any arrests/DUI/issues. I had none except for a stop sign violation ticket from 6 years ago. she did not even see the court disposition. but thanked me for being honest.
2. For the employment, what ever you write on N-400, be prepared to show the some documentation(i dont think they would exact dates, but mention the years and have the W2's from that employer handy).

2. For the employment, what ever you write on N-400, be prepared to show the some documentation(i dont think they would exact dates, but mention the years and have the W2's from that employer handy).

I highly doubt that the IO will ask the applicant to show W2s to prove employment dates. In fact, I've never heard of this happening.