Documents needed for Naturalization

Today I was asked for a cancelled check and my wife's foreign birth certificate (she's a naturalized USC).
Weird, but it happened. Good that I had both of them (by luck).
My case was based on the 3-yr rule.

A quick question about state/local tax transcripts:
where do I go/call/mail to get them? I will need them from 2 states we lived in (Alabama & North Carolina) where do I start looking (what are the names of the forms?)? Is it the form 4506-A "Request for a copy of tax form or individual income tax account"?

I mailed 4506-T to the IRS requesting 1040 Transcript.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I came to US on F-1 visa at age 19. I am 34 now and have never left USA for more than 8 days. Changed my status to H1 at age 23 and stayed in that status until I got my green card at age 31. I do not recall ever registering for Selective Services probably because I was on non-immigrant visa until after I was 26. Do I need anything from Selecive Services to prove that I was NOT registered?

I was married and divorced in India while on GC. My ex-wife never been to US.
However, I have been filing my Tax returns as single. I have never mentioned about Marriage & Divorce in any of US documents.
Do I still need to mention about this marriage and submit Divorce certificate when filling for N400?

Appreciate your comments.

Cyberavatar,

I am in same situation, please advise how you filed N400.

Thanks

I have got YL with the notice to bring:
- driver's license
- all passports and travel documents (including expired and current) issued to you by any government

Do I need to bring my old passport which I was using in 90's, but GC (2004) was not issued for that passport and current one (which I have since 2002) still is not expired.

Thanks

Confused with the USCIS website...

Thanks for sharing this very comprehensive list of what to submit along with the naturalization application. I keep seeing similar helpful lists all over the internet. However USCIS's website doesn't list any of it...

They only ask about the application form and the check. They don't even mention the photos to include...

Shall I still submit all of these additional documents? :confused:

Looking forward to hearing about your recent personal experiences with this!

Please Help
I am ready to file my N-400 through attorney. Through a lot of posts i read we need to send supporting documents with N-400. But my attorney is saying he will show them supporting document during interview. Can you guys please suggest me should I send supporting document right now or should i send with application

thank you

I am almost ready to file my N400, I had read a post in the past recommending applicants who are applying for naturalization using the 4 year + 1 day rule to use cover letter, explaining the grounds on which you meet the eligibility crteria so that if the IO is absent minded and does not deny/reject your application. If I am to write a letter do I have to quote the 4 year +1 day rule as mentioned in the Guide to Naturalization Document M 476 (page 22 and the example in page 23) and the example? and explain how I can relate my case to that ? or will that just annoy the IO's and cause unncessary hasssle. Like being questioned of their authority and knowledge, intelligence, common sense and experience? no one likes a wise guy .... Please advise guys. If any one has a template i could use Please do reply with it :) or a copy of the letter u used in ur case ,,,, It would be a life saver for me

thanks
-Sree

I am almost ready to file my N400, I have been a PR for almost 7 years and at the moment my eligibility is based on the 4year + 1 day rule as continuous ( i meet the other requirements set forth by the 5 years PR criteria). My wife is not a USC nor does she have a GC. In the N400 I have given her details. i have 2 questions

1) Should i attach a copy of marriage certificate ( i am not applying on basis of married to a USC, neither is my wife a USC or a PR)

2) My wife's address as in her passport is her own address, so in the N400 should I mention her address as in her Passport, or my address in India where she lives. Either way any correspondence or mails to either the places will be fine.

- please advice

I am almost ready to file my N400, I have been a PR for almost 7 years and at the moment my eligibility is based on the 4year + 1 day rule as continuous ( i meet the other requirements set forth by the 5 years PR criteria). My wife is not a USC nor does she have a GC. In the N400 I have given her details. i have 2 questions

1) Should i attach a copy of marriage certificate ( i am not applying on basis of married to a USC, neither is my wife a USC or a PR)

2) My wife's address as in her passport is her own address, so in the N400 should I mention her address as in her Passport, or my address in India where she lives. Either way any correspondence or mails to either the places will be fine.

- please advice

There's no harm providing additional documentation, so you can attach that marriage certificate.
Provide your wife's address in India but be prepared to answer questions on maintaining your links with the US while your wife is in India (I know there is no reasonable chance for a spouse visa for a GC holder, but that probably won't stop the IO from asking).
Finally, do write a short cover letter explaining that you're applying under the 4y+1 day rule. You don't want someone to send the application back because they weren't paying attention. (The people processing the incoming applications aren't the ones who are going interview you and approve your application)

Please Help
I am ready to file my N-400 through attorney. Through a lot of posts i read we need to send supporting documents with N-400. But my attorney is saying he will show them supporting document during interview. Can you guys please suggest me should I send supporting document right now or should i send with application

thank you

I think most people sent the supporting documentation with the original application, but as you're paying an attorney to do this for you, follow his advice - especially if there are some areas of concern in your application.

Hi everyone!
I apologise for the new post here,but I could not open the page for the new thread.
I am permanent resident since May/6/2005.I lived in the USA for more than 30 months.Right now I am outside of the USA and going to stay here till April.
I was going to apply for citizenship when I go back to the states.
Recently I checked the uscis.gov web site and found something concerning me there:

"Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application"

I do not know how to translate that.Does that mean that I need to be in Massachusets 3 months before I apply for citizenship(if I go in the USA in April therefore I can file N-400 in July).Or when I was in USA ,to lived the last 3 months in Massachusets.

I want to get the citizenship as soon as possible.
Please help me if you had such an experience or if you know anything about that.
Thanks in Advance!
Best Regards
Edit Report

goshopbg, you need to be in MA for 3 months before you can apply for citizenship.

Btw can anyone tell me what documents I need to carry for oath ceremony? Is it only my GC and oath appt letter? Do I need to carry anything else? TIA.

If I was on H1B when first entered US (before my 26th birthday), then I don't have to worry about Selective service, Right?

Do I still need the letter from Selective Service?

TIA

Hello,

I have read many post here. But need to confirm. Basic Documents required along with the application are. Applying through work, with 4 years 9 months rule.

1. 2 Photo
2. Green card copy
3. Fees
4. Application N-400

Do i need to attached Marriage certificate?. I got GC through work. All the other documents, as mention at starting post, I plan to take at the time of interview. Is that ok.

Thanks

Do I need these documents???

Hi all.
Do I need to get Certified Court record for the interview if I have never been commited in a crime or offense?I do not have even speeding tickets and have answered "No" to questions 15 to 24.
Also do I need to get Status information letter from SSS if I registered on time on provideed my sss number in N-400?
Best Regards

Hi all.
Do I need to get Certified Court record for the interview if I have never been commited in a crime or offense?I do not have even speeding tickets and have answered "No" to questions 15 to 24.
Also do I need to get Status information letter from SSS if I registered on time on provideed my sss number in N-400?
Best Regards

If you've never been to court or had any offenses, a court record for you doesn't exist. The answer is no.

As far as SSS status letter goes, if you provided the registration number on your N-400, print out the confirmation from sss.gov and bring it to the interview, just in case. It can't hurt to bring a status letter, but I don't think it's necessary in your case. However, since it requires minimal effort to obtain, go for it. It'll only help make your case ironclad.

Do I need these documents???

Thank you,Vorpal.

How can I get a print of the confirmation from sss.gov ???

Best Regards

Thank you,Vorpal.

How can I get a print of the confirmation from sss.gov ???

Best Regards

Go to www.sss.gov and click on the red "Check a Registration" text in the middle of the page. You'll be prompted to enter some information, after which your status will be displayed. Print that page out and take it to the interview.