Documents needed for Naturalization

Today I was asked for a cancelled check and my wife's foreign birth certificate (she's a naturalized USC).
Weird, but it happened. Good that I had both of them (by luck).
My case was based on the 3-yr rule.

sarrebal, when say you were asked for a canceled check, is it the check for application? I have my interview on 3/24 and have printed the copies of cashed checked from my online bank account (don't have the physical canceled check). Wondering what canceled check were you were asked to present. Thanks
mxc

Do I need to be here physically to file my N-400?

I have a question regd filing citizenship paperwork.

I am resident since May, 2005.
Planning to file the paperwork but need to go to home country this june.
Do I need to physically present here to file the paperwork? Can my spouse file the paperwork for me when I am outside the country and I come back for the FP?

Thanks

You do not need to be present in the US to file the paperwork, and your spouse can mail the application. However, just make sure to be here for fingerprinting which will be within 3-4 weeks after filing the application, and do not stay abroad 6 months or more in one single trip.

Good luck...

I have a question regd filing citizenship paperwork.

I am resident since May, 2005.
Planning to file the paperwork but need to go to home country this june.
Do I need to physically present here to file the paperwork? Can my spouse file the paperwork for me when I am outside the country and I come back for the FP?

Thanks

Hi,
Not sure if someone has uploaded a checklist tracker for applicants. I created one for my own purpose and wanted to share with the group for anyone who might be interested.
This is not a complete list and has many items from the original list posted by JohnnyCash and can be customized to suit one's own needs.

NOTE:
In the "Interview" tab, the Column "Prepared" is meant to be checked off when you have the document ready. (e.g) If you have the original passport with you, you can mark it as "Done". If you have requested the "IRS Transcripts" but haven't received the originals from IRS yet, this entry should not be marked "Done".
The column "Filed" is used when you have filed it in your document folder. Sometimes, I had documents in a different drawer/box in the home and not really filed in the "Folder" that I was going to take with me to the interview. This will help in ensuring you have it handy when going to the interview.

Good luck,
V!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Documents needed to submit along with application for Naturalization (N-400):

Each applicant for naturalization SHOULD submit the following along with their naturalization application:

[1] Cover letter: Though submitting a cover letter along with your naturalization application is not necessary, however it is highly recommended, wherein applicant should explain briefly about the basis of his/her eligibility for naturalization, such as whether applicant is filing the application under 3 yrs rule being a spouse of USC or under 5 yrs rule, or under any other eligibility in the law. This helps greatly to adjudication officers to know the basis of applicant’s eligibility right away at very first glance, otherwise sometimes some people’s eligibility is very hard to determine being complicated. And, not every adjudication officers are that much familiar with all the eligibilities for naturalization even though they are adjudication officers since laws and policies on immigration are kept changing very frequently and rapidly. Besides, at the time of naturalization, adjudication officers do pay attention to a cover letter, believe it or not.

[2] Copy of front and backside of green card. It must be a very clear copy so that information could be read very clearly from there.

[3] Two identical colored photos, wherein applicant’s full name and A# should have written by light pencil in the back of them. Photos should be as same style and size as we need for a passport, means- a front view of the applicant and not the side view as the pictures with side view are no longer accepted for immigration purpose. Further, photos should be taken within 30 days of filing the application.

[4] Check or money order for the right amount of the processing fees for the application: Though it doesn’t make much difference how you would choose to pay the processing fee, however it should be known that sometimes Service Centers, particularly TSC, and some district offices (if you would file any other petition/application with them with fees) do wait for a receipt (NOA) to send out to an applicant until a personal check gets cashed out if an applicant pays the processing fees with his/her personal check.

Nevertheless, it is always better to pay the processing fee with a personal check because if you choose to pay the processing fee by money order then it would not only be hard but also a time and money consuming to track down the proof of payment. Because, then you would require to file a paper work with postal service if money order is purchased from a post office, wherein you would be ended up paying some money (maybe $2 or $3) to track down whether such money order is cashed out or not. And it also takes almost 60 days for a post office to furnish this request. But if you would pay by your personal check then you would be able to receive the cancelled check back from your bank once USCIS will cash that out, which means-there won’t be a waste of time and money, and you would also have a solid proof to prove to USCIS about them having the processing fee from you on your application. But make sure to write your A# and the N-400 on the topside of the check where your name and address is printed.

Actually, there are pros and cons of both these methods of payment towards processing fees.

Using Money Order to pay processing fees:

Advantage: USCIS will post the payment/processing fees right away without any waiting. That means, a quick acceptance and initial processing on the application.

Disadvantage: It's time and money consuming to track down whether it is cashed out or not. Money Orders from American Express, MoneyGram and other private entities are easily traceable but Postal Money Orders are hard to track down right away. Plus, one would need the actual copy of paid money order in order to contact USCIS if they ever have any question on their application in the absence of any receipt from USCIS. It takes up to 60 days and few more bucks to have actual physical proof of cashing it out. That means, one will not have any proof of paying the processing fees to USCIS in the meantime if the application gets lost/misplaced with USCIS, which could be the possibility. However, if USCIS sends you a receipt then one doesn't need to worry about tracking it down.

Using Personal Check to pay processing fees:

Advantage: It's easily traceable, One can check with their bank if it's cashed out or not. Plus, the cancelled check would be the proof right in hand to prove that processing fees was paid to USCIS if application is ever happened to be lost/misplaced.

Disadvantage: USCIS waits for it to be cleared for few days. That means, a little delay in processing.

[5] Divorce/Annulment Decree: If you were previously married, then you must need to send the divorce/annulment decree to INS to prove that your previously marriage has ended legally.

[6] Certified Court record(s): If you ever been arrested or charged for a crime, then you must need to send certified copy of the disposition of your case to INS. If your criminal case is still going on, then don’t bother to file Naturalization because INS will deny your application anyway.

[7] Status Information Letter from Selective Service: If you are man, who was required to register with Selective Service, must need to send Status Information Letter’.

Continues because of the limitation on size of a posting...

Do I need to include the last 5 years tax transcripts? Thank you.

Do I need to include the last 5 years tax transcripts? Thank you.
No need to include the tax transcripts in your N-400 application mailing unless:
* you've been out of the US for more than 6months
* or you apply on basis of being married to a US citizen

see also the M-477 document checklist at the end of M-476

It can make sense to have the tax transcripts with you at the interview, depending on how clear-cut or ambiguous your US residency is.

Hi Johnycash,

this information is great and is helping me set things up for my interview.

however I am unable to find out how to get my new york state tax transcript for the last 5 years. i got the fed one for last 4 years only. How do I get the one for 2005?

Hi Johnycash,

this information is great and is helping me set things up for my interview.

however I am unable to find out how to get my new york state tax transcript for the last 5 years. i got the fed one for last 4 years only. How do I get the one for 2005?

You don't need a state transcript. In fact, if you're applying on the basis of being an LPR for 5 years, you most likely won't be asked for your Federal taxes either. However, it doesn't hurt to have the Federal transcripts, just in case.

* or you apply on basis of being married to a US citizen.

Thanks. But what if I am divorced? do I need to send the last 5 years tax transcript together with the application?

"Divorce/Annulment Decree"

I have a foriegn original Divorce Decree, do I just send a copy in or do have to send a certified one? how to certify this in US? Thanks in advance.

I have a foriegn original Divorce Decree, do I just send a copy in or do have to send a certified one? how to certify this in US? Thanks in advance.

A certified translation is acceptable. It costs about 30 bucks and will be certified by a notary public. Also, you can translate the divorce decree yourself and include a statement at the end of the document, affirming that you have understanding of both languages and get it notarized. If you choose to translate the form yourself, it must be a word for word translation, exactly like the original.

You have to understand three different things about your concern-

(1) Translation> USCIS require each and every documents submitted must be in English, regardless of where those documents are issued at. So if any of the documents is in another language than English then they require it to be translated in English which could be done as Vorpal stated above. However, I don't think this is what you are concerned of or looking for. Anyway, you have not mentioned as to whether or not this divorce decree from abroad is in English. If it's not in English then you should follow what Vorpal stated above.

(2) Notorization> USCIS previously used to require each document to be notorized but it's not the requirement anymore. Only document now is required to be notorized is your own statements/affidavit wherein USCIS would like to know who is for sure making such statements. Notorization means just signing the documents in front of a notary so that notary could attest and be sure that you are the one who signed the documents and the documents belong to you. It doesn't matter to a notary what is written or what is the text of the document; instead they just attest the signature of the person who signs in front of them. Any notary can attest the documents either for free or $2 for each document. Free at banks if you have an account with any bank. However, I don't think this is what your concerned is.

(3) Certification/Certified copy> USCIS require each document related to public record such as brith, marriage, divorce, criminal record, etc, must be certified. This certification doesn't mean "certified the translation in English"; rather it's about obtaining a stamp/notation on the copy of record from the original authority that issued that particular document. Pay attention- a copy of record could ONLY be certifed by the original authority that issued that document. Period.

So you need to contact the court at abroad where divorce took place to ask them to issue you a certified copy of your divorce decree. Certified copy means the original issuing authority will just make a photocopy of the record and will chop a stamp on it by stating that its a true copy of the original record. You do not need a certified copy of anything if you are willing to hand over original one but everyone knows, including USCIS, that original documents should not be submitted/handed over because one might very much need original documents in the future. That's why they ask for the certified copy so that they could be sure that the photocopy of original you are submitting is actually true and real which they can verified only when original authority chops such stamp on the document.

As to whether you should certify it for USCIS purpose or any other purpose then it's always recommended to have certified copy of every public record because you never know when and where you could be asked for, not necessary asking by USCIS but any other authorities in the world if you do any kind of business with them. Once a document is certified then it becomes same like the original copy without any doubt or suspicious.

As for whether you are required to submit the certified copy to USCIS, then YES because USCIS has very clearly stated about it in their check-list of document-requirements in blank & white. But whether or not an individual immigration officer, either at the processing place or at the interview, will stick to their such requirement then nobody can guarantee or tell anything about it for sure. Why? Because each officer is different. What works for one, might not work for others. Each officer's modus operandi is different. And somewhat it would also depend on the mood of the officer at the time of your interview or the mood of the officer at the processing place. So the question is- can you really take that risk just to be told at later time that your application can not be processed or a decision cannot be made until you submit the certified copy of such document especially after waiting for so long and after going thru so much hassle in getting the application together? I

If officer turns out to be a really "strict", s/he may even deny the application and force you to file the application again and go thru the whole process from the start. Some officers are known to have done that, and they were right under their discretionary authority because they determined that applicants failed to submit the required and asked documents. And most of the times, in 95% of the time, if a decision is not made after the conclusion on the interview then it does delay the decision for many months. So you need to decide what do you want and how you like to proceed about it.

People can tell you only about their own experience but no one can guarantee whether or not officer will ask this from you. Not necessarily your experience will be the same with others. Thus, you decide if you want to get a certified copy or not. In most cases, USCIS don't care about it, but I personally won't take that risk or it could be because I'm super pro-active...I leave no room for delay or denying. Period. If I were you, I'll submit the application only with the photocopy of the document, and while the application is processing I'll try to get the certified copy of it so that if ever USCIS ask for it, I would have it. Like I said, they don't really ask it in most cases but it's up to the individual officer. This is the concern you have here in my opinion.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
(3) Certification/Certified copy> USCIS require each document related to public record such as brith certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, criminal record, etc, must be certified. This certification doesn't mean "certified the translation in English"; rather obtaining a certified copies means obtaining a stamp/notation on the copy of record from the original authority that issued that particular document. Pay attention- a copy of record could ONLY be certifed by the original authority that issued that document. Period.

So you need to contact the court at abroad where divorce took place to ask them to issue you a certified copy of your divorce decree. Certified copy means the original issuing authority will make a photocopy of the record and will chop a stamp by stating that its a true copy of the original record. You do not need a certified copy of anything if you are willing to hand over original one but everyone knows, including USCIS, that original documents should not be submitted/handed over because one might very much need original document in the future. That's why they ask for the certified copy so that they could be sure that the photocopy of original you are submitting is actually true and real which they can verified only when original authority certified it.

Let me detail this a bit and distinguish between filing for N-400 and the actual interview: For filing N-400, a plain copy (not certified) is sufficient, and if the document is not in English, accompanied with a certified translation as Vorpal stated.
For the interview, the original document (or a certified copy) should be brought along in case the IO wants to see it.
From my personal interview experience (as Johnny said before, it only reflects on the individual IO's judgment), the IO did not bother to see any originals of the copies I had sent along the applicaiton.

Thanks JonnyCash, Vorpal and DavidSEA! You guys are just fabulous. All those interpretation on certifed document would be part of the "bible" for citizenship applicaiton.

Thank you all for your amazing work in this thread!

I have a couple of questions:
1. I got transcripts for my taxes, but they are federal. I cannot figure out how to get transcripts for my state taxes!
2. On the USCIS website, it is said that all applications should be fastened with acco fasteners. My application is simple so far: photos, personal check, and application. I don't have to attach transcripts because I am single with no dependents and am applying under the 5 year rule.
I was thinking of just stapling the application (which is printed back to back, so it is only 5 pages) and attaching the photos and check with a paper clip. Is that acceptable?
3. I got passport photos done, but I was wearing a black hair band. Now I see that the photos have to be bare head. I was also wearing simple, unobstrusive earrings. Do I need to re-take my passport photo without the hair band and without earrings?

Thank you all so much!

Hi johnnycash. I am in the same situation. I live in new jersey and sent a letter requesting my state tax transcripts a months back. But did not receive any response yet. My interview is next week. What should I do. Also, IRS only has last 3 years of transcript which I got. Are they enough?
On a side note I do have copies of tax filings from my accountant for last 5 years but they are not IRS certified.
Please advise.

Can you help me if I am qualify to apply for US Citizenship. I'm 31 yrs. old my father is a naturalized US Citizen. He is a member of USAFEE a Philippine Scout. He died last 2004.