Documents needed for Naturalization

You will certainly get the ID before your interview because it doesn't take a month or more to get it in NY state as it used to be many years back. Now it takes 2 weeks at most.

Thanks. Yeah, I went down there yesterday and applied for an ID card. Hopefully I'll get it in the mail before my interview.

You will certainly get the ID before your interview because it doesn't take a month or more to get it in NY state as it used to be many years back. Now it takes 2 weeks at most.

That is correct. After getting my citizenship, I had to update my driver license with my new last name. I went to the DMV and provided them with proof of name change. I was issued an interim (temporary) license without a photo and the actual license arrived 5 days later. NYS DMV has become very efficient.

Some IRS agents provide tax transcripts for only 3 years...This MIGHT be their new policy...but you can always call back a day later to ask for other years. It's so easy nor they keep record of what you asked a day before nor you need to tell them anything about it. There is no need to pay $39 for all this.

I needed transcripts for last 5 years as I applied based on 5 years of Green Card. I ordered last 5 years transcripts on phone and already got it last week. I don't know why they are not providing you.

Amazing Specifics...!

I'm revisiting this site after 8 years since I got my GC. The contents and quality of information provided by JohhyCash is simply amazing! I got all my questions well answered regarding N400 in just browsing this thread and following through the links!

Kudos to JohnnyCash!:)

Does anyone know of or have a link to a list of the documents one needs to take to the oath ceremony?

Bring your oath letter (obviously), green card, photo ID and any documents issued by INS/USCIS (EADs, travel documents/re-entry permits, etc.). Also, if you've had any arrests and/or traffic violations since your interview, make sure to bring court dispositions/proof of payment. Unlike the N-400, the oath letter specifically asks to disclose traffic tickets.

I am going to have the naturalization exam on next monday and they ask me to bring the selective register service proof. However I am female....is it still required ??? Please advise it Thanks!!!

fortunegrace, my IL asked for the same thing. We do not need to register per sss.gov. I printed the attached and will bring to ID with me in case

JohnnyCash or other experienced guys...couple of questions. I moved to my present address on September 10, 2007, but completely forgot to file Address Change with USCIS and filed address change online only on January 20, 2008. Do you think it may be a problem for filing N-400? or should I put in Part 6. (Information about your residence and employment) that I live at my present address from January 2008 ? Technically, my previous address is still my business address and it was shown and will be shown on my previous/present tax returns as my business address. Any ideas?

Also, I read carefully (I think:) ) instructions for filling out N-400 and still can't get it... did you guys actually put "N/A" or "none" EVERYWHERE in those spaces that nothing to do with you?
Let's say Part 4. Addresses and telephone numbers. - I don't have any "care of" so should I live it blank, or it is better to put "none"?

or Part 1. Your Name. Full Middle Name (If applicable) - well, putting here "N/A" for me is silly, because IT IS NOT APPLICABLE:) and they mentioned: "IF applicable":). In all my experience filling forms, I never put anything (leave blank), if it's not related to me. But they said in instructions: "Answer all questions fully and accurately".

and last one even more silly:): I am divorced. and there is Part 3. Information about you. paragraph G. which has DIVORCE line to choose, BUT in instructions it says: "Current marital status - Check the marital status you have. If you are currently not married, but had a prior marriage that was annulled or otherwise legally terminated, check ''Other'' and explain it. "
Why I have to check "Other" if there is "Divorce" box there? and I am divorced:) Why then they put "Divorce" box at all? and what I need to check?

Last edited by a moderator:
traffic tickets

I got 2 traffic tickets at 2 different states in the last 3 years, and both are under $200. Is it alright if I disclose them on N400 without gathering the proof of paying? Or should I ignore them? This makes me lose sleep!!!!

Please give your advises.

I got 2 traffic tickets at 2 different states in the last 3 years, and both are under $200. Is it alright if I disclose them on N400 without gathering the proof of paying? Or should I ignore them? This makes me lose sleep!!!!

Please give your advises.

I'll put it to you this way...if you disclose those traffic tickets, make sure you bring proof of payment to the interview, despite what the Guide to Naturalization says. There have been countless reports of IOs demanding proof of payment for minor traffic tickets. From my personal experience, I didn't disclose any of my traffic tickets (all of which were minor) and didn't have a problem. It's up to you to decide what course of action to take.

I have not paid any tax in India during my stay in US.
Also I have taken loan to buy property in India.

How does it get affected while going for US citizenship ?

I have not paid any tax in India during my stay in US.
Also I have taken loan to buy property in India.

How does it get affected while going for US citizenship ?

Loan or a line of credit, whether it's obtained inside the US or outside, has nothing to do with immigration unless it's obtained fraudulently and a criminal proceeding has started for that.

Not paying taxes in India or in any other country other than US has nothing to do with US immigration because US immigration laws only care about US taxes.

I am going to have the naturalization exam on next monday and they ask me to bring the selective register service proof. However I am female....is it still required ??? Please advise it Thanks!!!

As I've said VERY CLEARLY in my first posting on this thread many years ago that an interview/appointment letter/notice is just a generic/automated letter in 99.99% situaiton. What it means-they send out the same letter to everyone. Further, interview letter is sent out by another department. Moreover, interview officer wouldn't even see/read the interview letter to know what's asked from the applicants to bring to the interview.

Thus, don't worry about it nor pays any attention to it. Also, don't even bring this up voluntarily at the interview. Many women received the same in the past, but no-one was asked about it during the interview.

Good luck...

Read throughly/wholly thru this link to find out EVERYTHING that you might need to take with you to the Oath Ceremony-

http://www.ilw.com/forms/N445.pdf

In this form it asks:

Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?

I had a traffic cop stop me for a busted headlamp (incorrect equipment warning). But this was a warning only - no actual ticket or fine, asking me to fix the problem within a week. I got it fixed in a couple of days. What should be the appropriate response during oath ceremony? Should I answer this question Yes, and then furnish proof of the warning and the proof of repair or should I simply say NO since this was not a real ticket.

AP

JohnnyCash, I gathered all my documents based on your list and anything else I could think of. Your list is so detailed :) Well, I have a binder for my life with my husband and a binder for my USCIS history. They are thick.

I had made a similar binder for my father (way smaller) ;) and the IO did not ask him for any papers. Now, with my timeline I had to accumulate that much papers :rolleyes: but could I just make the IO not want to check my papers and then send me this additional document request after the ID? Yep ID is soon so I am getting anxious

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a binder for my life with my husband and a binder for my USCIS history. They are thick.

Awww....the binder for your life !!!!!....I wish I could have that...a binder for my life....Just kidding. It's good that you have binder for your history with USCIS and on your relationship with your husband...

could I just make the IO not want to check my papers and then send me this additional document request after the ID? Yep ID is soon so I am getting anxious

It all depends on the individual adjudication officer. Sometimes even if they say that they are approving the case or they don't need any more documents as everything is fine, yet still applicants don't hear from USCIS for 4-5 months and sometimes a request for additional documents. So, one cannot completely rule out that additional document won't be requested after the interview. It just depends on individual adjudication officer.

Don't be anxious and nervous. Stay cool. If you are completely ready, there is no need to be too anxious.

Good luck...