Documents needed for Naturalization

Loan or a line of credit, whether it's obtained inside the US or outside, has nothing to do with immigration unless it's obtained fraudulently and a criminal proceeding has started for that.

Not paying taxes in India or in any other country other than US has nothing to do with US immigration because US immigration laws only care about US taxes.

Thats seems to be correct if I consider only US citizenship, but if I am going for OCI in future then should I clear tax thing and close the loan in india
before proceeding for US citizenship and subsequently OCI ?

Or may be I should ask this question in thread for OCI ?

Thats seems to be correct if I consider only US citizenship, but if I am going for OCI in future then should I clear tax thing and close the loan in india
before proceeding for US citizenship and subsequently OCI ?

Or may be I should ask this question in thread for OCI ?

You should post your question in a thread for OCI because your question has nothing to do with US citizenship; rather it has to do with OCI with your country's tax.

JohnnyCash or other experienced guys...couple of questions. I moved to my present address on September 10, 2007, but completely forgot to file Address Change with USCIS and filed address change online only on January 20, 2008. Do you think it may be a problem for filing N-400? or should I put in Part 6. (Information about your residence and employment) that I live at my present address from January 2008 ? Technically, my previous address is still my business address and it was shown and will be shown on my previous/present tax returns as my business address. Any ideas?

Also, I read carefully (I think:) ) instructions for filling out N-400 and still can't get it... did you guys actually put "N/A" or "none" EVERYWHERE in those spaces that nothing to do with you?
Let's say Part 4. Addresses and telephone numbers. - I don't have any "care of" so should I live it blank, or it is better to put "none"?

or Part 1. Your Name. Full Middle Name (If applicable) - well, putting here "N/A" for me is silly, because IT IS NOT APPLICABLE:) and they mentioned: "IF applicable":). In all my experience filling forms, I never put anything (leave blank), if it's not related to me. But they said in instructions: "Answer all questions fully and accurately".

and last one even more silly:): I am divorced. and there is Part 3. Information about you. paragraph G. which has DIVORCE line to choose, BUT in instructions it says: "Current marital status - Check the marital status you have. If you are currently not married, but had a prior marriage that was annulled or otherwise legally terminated, check ''Other'' and explain it. "
Why I have to check "Other" if there is "Divorce" box there? and I am divorced:) Why then they put "Divorce" box at all? and what I need to check?

Put the correct date that you changed address and explain that you forgot to file AR11 if asked.

Select the divorced box as you are divorced your marriage was not annulled or otherwise terminated.

Put N/A where you have no information to give this shows that you have not simply forgotten to fill in the section

I moved to my present address on September 10, 2007, but completely forgot to file Address Change with USCIS and filed address change online only on January 20, 2008. Do you think it may be a problem for filing N-400? or should I put in Part 6. (Information about your residence and employment) that I live at my present address from January 2008 ? Technically, my previous address is still my business address and it was shown and will be shown on my previous/present tax returns as my business address. Any ideas?

I don't think you need to worry about this change of address at all. Thousands of people were in a exact situation like yours as per my presence on this site over the years and no one ever asked anything about it during the interview. However, you must NOT say anything to the officer voluntarily. Just explain only when you will be asked about it. But I'm pretty sure that nothing will be asked. A lot of people file/report change of address later on as they don't even know the requirement of reporting change of address within 10 days of moving. Just make sure to stay on the truth that you moved to your new address in September of last year and not January of this year; otherwise you will not be eligible to file N-400 until 3 months you reside at the new place of residence if it's a different state than previous address. That means, do not even try to put the January of this year date on part 6 of the application for you to live at new address if you have moved to different state; otherwise your N-400 will be denied.

Also, I read carefully (I think:) ) instructions for filling out N-400 and still can't get it... did you guys actually put "N/A" or "none" EVERYWHERE in those spaces that nothing to do with you?
Let's say Part 4. Addresses and telephone numbers. - I don't have any "care of" so should I live it blank, or it is better to put "none"?

or Part 1. Your Name. Full Middle Name (If applicable) - well, putting here "N/A" for me is silly, because IT IS NOT APPLICABLE:) and they mentioned: "IF applicable":). In all my experience filling forms, I never put anything (leave blank), if it's not related to me. But they said in instructions: "Answer all questions fully and accurately".

You have to use your common sense to use N/A and NONE. As for the name, you should put NONE if you don't have middle name or something like that, but N/A should be put wherein certain stuffs don't apply to you...It doesn't make much of the difference though...Just don't leave anything blank.

I am divorced. and there is Part 3. Information about you. paragraph G. which has DIVORCE line to choose, BUT in instructions it says: "Current marital status - Check the marital status you have. If you are currently not married, but had a prior marriage that was annulled or otherwise legally terminated, check ''Other'' and explain it. "
Why I have to check "Other" if there is "Divorce" box there? and I am divorced:) Why then they put "Divorce" box at all? and what I need to check?

You need to check off-Divorced option. Other option doesn't apply to you. It's for those whose marriage got annuled or something like that. In that case, USCIS needs explanation from those whose marriage got annuled because they USCIS might revoke the green card to those who obtained LPR based on a marriage to a USC because annulment means there was never a valid marriage. Annulment of marriage is so dangereous to an immigrant if s/he has obtained LPR based on his/her marriage to a US citizen.

Good luck...

Previous Passport Missing

I have an interview in NYC Federal Plaza on 3/21/2009. My current passport is from Oct 2005. However I can't find my previous passport. What should I do now.

Sent: Oct 28, 2008
Check Cashed: Oct 30 2008
Notice Date: Oct 30 2008
FP: Nov 19 2008
IL Date: Jan 23 2009
Interview: Mar 21 2009

Any help will be appreciated

Death certificate of spouse

Hi

We are planning to file N-400 for my mother in law who has been a permamanent resident for over five years in the US. Her husband passed on about twenty five years ago, and we do not have a death certificate. Is this needed, or are any alternate documents admissible as in the case of a borth certificate?

Any advice is deeply appreciated

George

Hopefully last questions.
On USCIS website it says that "For express/courier deliveries, use following address..." so is USPS Express delivery service that what they ment too? or they ment only something like FedEx? And whom should I address a cover letter to? to Immigration Officer? and put that PO Box address (or express address)? Thanks!

Selective Service Question

I have a question I wanted to ask the experienced members before submitting N-400 application. I got my greencard when I was older than 26 by a couple of months, but not yet by 27. I was a non-immigrant in the US before getting the greencard and got somehow registered with the Selective Service System (they registered me automatically). Now given that I was registered before I turned 26 and given that I was in legal non-immigrant status), how do I answer the Selective Service question? If I check NO to the first part about my status (were you in a status besides a legal non-immigrant), then should I still fill out the SS registration date and number below? Please advise.

where have you worked?

I hope someone can answer this question for me. In the "where have you worked" section on the application, it says include "military service". Does this refer to US military service or does it also cover military service for another country as well? Would there be a problem if a person has served in a foreign army before? thank you.

I got my interview letter, and at the bottom it has a list of documents that i "MUST BRING" to the interview. One item applying as spouse of US citizen is "Your spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship".
My wife obtained naturalization through adoption, and doesn't have naturalization or citizenship certificate. Can I take her US passport instead? They don't list that as an option?

I hope someone can answer this question for me. In the "where have you worked" section on the application, it says include "military service". Does this refer to US military service or does it also cover military service for another country as well? Would there be a problem if a person has served in a foreign army before? thank you.

Dude,, didnt you read about that case of Miss Oregon's father who didnt mention about his military service in Bosnia? Immigration officials are now saying the whole family is in trouble because the father got his citizenship through faudulant process. They family appealed and the case is now proceeding. The father is claiming that he was only a clerk at that time but DHS is saying its a visa fraud case. yeah,, that question is unclear because it doesnt say US or native country military service...

Great forum, great thread - my own grouping

This thread (esp. the first couple of posts) was -very- helpful in my preparation for my interview today. The IO said that he had never seen anyone so prepared and thanked me for making his job easier.

After preparing my documents as suggested here, I made copies of each one and then organized them into paper-clipped groups to support my answers to the IO's questions. As I went through the pile of originals, I kept going through the stack of copies so that the copy was always available for the original that he was looking at. Grouping the originals and copies (e.g., all bank related documents were paper-clipped together, so were the health insurance documents) helped with navigation through the paper piles.

Also, my list below helped me double-check that I had all the originals back from the IO.
Basic documents
I-797C (interview letter)
Original current passport
Original expired passport - not looked at
Original Green Card
Original NY Driver's license
Original Social Security card - not looked at
Original I-130 - not looked at
My original birth certificate - not looked at

Employment – entire group not looked at
Original paystubs
Original employment letter
W-2

Other documents
N-400 copy of submitted application - not looked at
List of all travel dates since 2005 – added to file
Original I-130 - not looked at

Wife's citizenship
Original birth certificate
Passport copy (she has the original and is traveling)
Wife's original voter registration card - not looked at
Wife's social security card - not looked at
Her Dept of Defense Notice of Personnel Action - not looked at

Marriage
Original marriage certificate
Rental leases dating back to 2003 with both our names
Joint tax transcripts for last 3 years, returns since 2001
Statement showing me as beneficiary on wife's life insurance
Statement showing wife as beneficiary on my life insurance
Statement showing me as beneficiary on wife's IRA
Statement showing wife as beneficiary on my IRA
Joint bank accounts: bank letter, statements over last 3 years & cancelled checks with both names at end
Original car title showing both names
My health insurance benefit summary showing wife as a beneficiary + EOBs (Explanation of Benefits) for wife
Joint credit card account statements over last 3 years
Joint car insurance & rental insurance statements over last 3 years

Residence in NY
All above documents with address

Selective Service - not looked at
Non-immigrant visas in passport
I-20 documents from school

Citations
Minor tickets - with proof of payment

I am of the philosophy that it is better to be over-prepared than have to go back for missing some document. Also, just because the IO didn't look at some documents above doesn't mean that another wouldn't ask for them.

Yes, you can take copy of her VALID US Passport. And if possible, the Decree of Adoption would be helpful too.

I got my interview letter, and at the bottom it has a list of documents that i "MUST BRING" to the interview. One item applying as spouse of US citizen is "Your spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship".
My wife obtained naturalization through adoption, and doesn't have naturalization or citizenship certificate. Can I take her US passport instead? They don't list that as an option?

Hi,
I am due to apply for my citizenship. I have become eligible. I am applying using the 5 year rule as a permanent resident. I have 2 questions with respect to the N-400 application.
1. Do I have to send any Tax return transcripts along with N-400 application form. I am single and applying since I have been a permanent resident for 5 years.
2. In Part 11 of the N400 instructions where I put my signature, the instructions say that I have to sign my full name without abbreviating it or using initials. Normally I sign using my surname with an initial. Should I sign using the normal way or write my full name as instructed in the N400 instructions.

Any response to these questions would be apreciated

selective service

when i applied for the first time which was in 2002, september, my lawyer ask me to fill up the selective service form which was supposed to make me automatically registered into the system.
but now after all these years i had my citizenship test last month and ins officer told me i was never registered for the selective service!!
my lavyer showed the officer my ins stamped papers that prooves that i was supposed to be registered, she never paid attention and my lawyer also showed her the law at the given time was saying that i was automatically registered she still did not pay any attention.
now my question is what should i do next?
i have already call the selective service, they said i am not registered and i can not register now beacause i am 32 years old.
i have my interview next month again to provide my selective service information and i really don't know what to do, eventhough i passed my test i don't really know if i am ever going to be citizen..

My document list - requesting comments and suggestions

I am getting all my documents together. My green card is based on marriage and I am filing under the three-year rule. Based on the OP, the list of documents I am planning to mail in (all copies except cover letter, application, and check):

- Cover Letter
- Application
- Attachments:
+ employment history additional items
+ list of traffic tickets (no copies – all five tickets are parking and camera red light)​
- Green card
- Color photographs (2)
- Check: $675 - app fee $595 and biometrics fee $80
- Husband's passport
- Marriage certificate
- Evidence of bona fide marriage:
+ Tax return transcripts 2006 – 2009
+ Bank statements 2006 – 2009 (2 out of several accounts)
+ Credit card statements 2006 - 2009 (most active account)
+ Car insurance declarations
+ Renters insurance declarations​

My questions are as follows:

1) I feel we are light on the bona fide marriage evidence: we don't own real estate (no mortgage or deed), cars are owned separately, our rent is month to month (no lease), we don't hold life insurance. To compensate, I am including a bunch of bank and credit card statements, but that's a lot of paper. I did the same for removal of conditional status for green card and ended up with a package 2" thick.

So do all these statements really help or can I just include 1099's and be done with it?

2) I intend to use utility bills to show residency. I will bring them to the interview. Should I mail them in also?