Documents needed for Naturalization

What documents should I attach to N-400 if I file after 3 years of residency based on I-360 VAWA? Should I attach I-360 approval? Any marriage proof?
Thanks!

You don't need to attach the approval notice on your GC application or application I-360 that you filed to obtain GC or any marriage proof along with your application for naturalization. Why? Nothing of these is required. And USCIS have all these information in their system anyway.

You would need to send in everything that a regular applicant does...like the copy of your GC, photos, fees, and other documents applicable to your specific situation like divorce decree, court certified disposition on any criminal matter, Selective Service letter, etc...Pretty much the same that everyone sends...

But you MUST need to choose option-OTHER on the application on the question number D of Part 2 which is about your eligibility for naturalization.

http://www.ilw.com/forms/n-400fillable.pdf

Also, you must need to explain your eligibility in brief in there. You should write-" INA sec 319 (a) that allows you to file for naturalization application after 3 years of becoming a LPR since you obtained your LPR under VAWA". You may also choose to attach the copy of the memo given in the link below along with your application.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PolMem89.pdf

Further, make sure to write about your eligibility on cover letter as well because sometime some clerks don't know everything about immigration laws...which might make them to deny/reject your application from accepting.

Good luck...

I just called the IRS for the tax transcripts. However, the lady told me she could only give me 2004-2007 transcripts. If I need 2003, I will have to pay $39. Anyways, I just asked her to order the 2004-2007 transcripts. Any suggestion on how to get the 2003 transcript without paying $39? can I just bring the 4 years' transcript and a copy of 2003 tax filing for interiew? thanks in advance for any help

Some IRS agents provide tax transcripts for only 3 years...This MIGHT be their new policy...but you can always call back a day later to ask for other years. It's so easy nor they keep record of what you asked a day before nor you need to tell them anything about it. There is no need to pay $39 for all this.

Any idea about obtaining Maryland state tax transcripts seperately or it is covered in form 1722 provided by IRS.

If Maryland state tax transcript is required any sugeestion how to get them.

Vik_b

99.99999% of the time immigration officers ask only to provide transcripts/returns for federal income tax returns, and not state income tax returns. Only 1-2 cases over the years reported so far on this website and others wherein state tax returns were also demanded. So, the chances of asking for state tax returns are none to zero. Nevertheless, it's always better to have it...just in case it's asked for.

As to how to get state tax returns/transcripts, then each person should check this information with their state taxation department/office or google it. It's so easy to find all these info thru google. People on this board are not here to provide information on each state's tax matters....This is something you have to find by your own which is not that hard.

Help Gurus Please - Entry/Exit Travel Records for 5 Years

Hi All,

My Natulization interview is coming up real soon. :)

I am in need for advise on proof of entry/exit to/from the US within the last 5 years. The entry part is not a problem since there are stamps on my passport. I though I could prove exit from the US by showing the entry stamps to the countries I travelled to, but they are all in a foreign language!

I do not have any itenararies or tickets to prove my travel dates. My concern is that I had a one time 9-months trip outside of the US and a few other shorts trips (not a concern). I am already providing a reasons for being abroad for that period (education). This is not my concern in this post though. My concern is on proving my duration of stay in the US.

Is there anywhere else where I can obtain entry/exit records? I will be more at ease if I can get this information from somewhere and take it to the interview.

FYI - I already contacted my airlines and they have no records going that far back!

Thank you!

IRS telephone lets me order only 3 years of tax transcripts

Hi all,

I have N-400 interview coming up.. It is based on 3 year (marriage)...

According to the advice in the forums.. it is advisable to take 5 years of tax returns to the interview. I though, I will take official tax transcript with me..

But IRS telephone system lets me order only 3 years of transcripts.. Do I need to go to them in person to get the remaining 2 years?

Also, I may have copies of my tax returns for those two years.. Is it worth it to visit IRS to get the transcripts instead?

Is there anywhere else where I can obtain entry/exit records? I will be more at ease if I can get this information from somewhere and take it to the interview.

FYI - I already contacted my airlines and they have no records going that far back! Thank you!

Your passport and ticket itinery are the only evidences you could have as far as proving your exit and entry record is concerned.

Call the IRS again AFTER 4 days later over the phone to request the transcripts for the remaining two years. And don't tell them that you had already requested other 3 years ones and need the remaining two years ones. Just tell them that you needed transcripts for so and so years. That's all. No need to tell the whole ramayan/bible...

Hi all,

I have N-400 interview coming up.. It is based on 3 year (marriage)...

According to the advice in the forums.. it is advisable to take 5 years of tax returns to the interview. I though, I will take official tax transcript with me..

But IRS telephone system lets me order only 3 years of transcripts.. Do I need to go to them in person to get the remaining 2 years?

Also, I may have copies of my tax returns for those two years.. Is it worth it to visit IRS to get the transcripts instead?

Your passport and ticket itinery are the only evidences you could have as far as proving your exit and entry record is concerned.

What if some of those trips were made on an INS Travel Document that you had to send back when you applied for a new one? Right now I only have records for two of my trips - the other two were done using an INS Travel Document. I, foolishly, did not keep copies of stamps.

What if some of those trips were made on an INS Travel Document that you had to send back when you applied for a new one? Right now I only have records for two of my trips - the other two were done using an INS Travel Document. I, foolishly, did not keep copies of stamps.

You should have the copies of those stamps/documents. If you didn't keep them then it's not anyone's fault; rather yours. Now, if you don't have anything to prove then you don't. You cannot create something which you can't. There is nothing much you could do in this respect except to tell the truth and explain all this to the officer, if asked.

You should have the copies of those stamps/documents. If you didn't keep them then it's not anyone's fault; rather yours. Now, if you don't have anything to prove then you don't. You cannot create something which you can't. There is nothing much you could do in this respect except to tell the truth and explain all this to the officer, if asked.

I realize that it is my fault for not keeping them; my first trip was in 2004 and my second in 2005 so I didn't even think about keeping copies. Do you think the officer would ask for proof for those trips? They were all significantly under 6 months.

I don't think officer would ask to see the proofs for those trips because officers ask to see only when something is questionable like if someone has taken so many trips which might question naturalization eligibility or when they doubt of applicants not be truthful about the trips. But if you tell the truth, I don't think you were asked any proofs. And somehow if you are asked then just tell the truth. Besides, officer might be able to see those trips thru their system as they are keeping record of each person's exit and entry since this sytem is set up. So I don't think you should worry about this much.

OK, thanks that got me feeling better about this. It would be a shame if my application was rejected because I couldn't provide stamps for two short trips that I took almost 4 years ago.

Thanks for your input. Much obliged. And yes, I will be 100% honest with the IO.

Advice on Appeals

I am a member of the US Air Force and my wife is Italian. We went to her interview on earlier in the week (Oct 2008). She flew through the interview and was approved. While we were waiting downstairs in the building for the oath ceremony the lady who conducted the interview found us and told us she would have to deny her because we had not lived in the region we applied in for at least 3 months before she applied.

My wife was eligible to apply back in 2006 but we waited because we knew that the Air Force was going to move us in mid 2007. When we arrived here in June 2007 we realized that the application price was going to increase so we quickly got our documents together and sent in the application in July. It looks like we will be moving again before the endo of the year due to another set of orders.

My question is, is it worth appealing the denial or should we just start over after we've lived in our new region for 3 months?

Thanks for any advice!

I am a member of the US Air Force and my wife is Italian. We went to her interview on earlier in the week (Oct 2008). She flew through the interview and was approved. While we were waiting downstairs in the building for the oath ceremony the lady who conducted the interview found us and told us she would have to deny her because we had not lived in the region we applied in for at least 3 months before she applied.

My wife was eligible to apply back in 2006 but we waited because we knew that the Air Force was going to move us in mid 2007. When we arrived here in June 2007 we realized that the application price was going to increase so we quickly got our documents together and sent in the application in July. It looks like we will be moving again before the endo of the year due to another set of orders.

My question is, is it worth appealing the denial or should we just start over after we've lived in our new region for 3 months?

Thanks for any advice!

As I understand it, the residence requirement does not apply to US Military Personnel.

Lost passport

Question to JohnnyCash
The Indian Embassy in DC lost my passport and the Embassy will issue a new passport. We will be eligible to apply for citizenship in December 2008. However, as per your document list for Naturalization interview one of the documents required is expired passport to verify applicants absence from United States. I have not taken trips more than 2 months and only 2 trips in last 5 years. Is passport the only document for INS to verify trips outside US? Would a lost expired passport be a problem? Please advise. Thank you in advance.

To appeal or not to appeal a denial

Rick 92 and Bobsmyth

Thanks for your replies, but I guess I didn't explain my situation well enough.

My wife and I were married in Italy in the spring of 2002 and immediately moved back to the US to Kansas. My wife got her green card in 2003. We then moved to Las Vegas in 2004 and then to Montgomery Alabama in 2006. We knew we were moving again in 2007 up to Washington DC, so we decided to wait to apply until we got here to make sure enough time had past and hoping we'd be in one place long enough to get everything done. All the moves were due to military orders. Looks like we'll move again to Florida but nothing final yet.

When we arrived here in June 2007 we realized that the application price was going to increase so we quickly got our documents together and sent in the application in July. Since we hadn't lived here for at least three months before she applied she was denied, even after she was initially approved. We've got the piece of paper she was given saying congratulations your citizenship application has been approved, but we’ve also received the letter from immigration saying her application was denied.

Is it worth appealing or should she just start over; appeal cost $608, new application cost $675. I'm leaning toward new application, because although it would feel good to fight and win on such a stupid technicality if we loss it's another $600 down the drain.

Thanks for any advice.

My interview is on January 5th, however I do not have a license or State issued ID. I have a driver's permit (it's just a piece of paper though). Do you think this will suffice?

I could go apply for an ID, but it says it can take up to 60 days to get it in the mail.

I would suggest that you go apply for an ID. The DMV will give you documentation that you have applied for your ID card. Wait for the ID to come in the mail. If it does not come in time, then bring the documentation with you for your interview and explain your circumstance. They may want you to send them a copy of the ID card when you receive it in the mail before they approve your application.