Consular Processing (New Delhi)

Raj,

Hang in there ... everything will be fine...

When I applied for Canadian immigration it took me 4 weeks to get clearance from FBI.

So I am guessing it should not take more than 6 weeks in your case once file reaches NVC. You may just have to push US embassy & NVC both to make sure they acknowledge where the file is - I know it is frustrating but you have to keep trying.

Hope things work out .

\rahul07

AC140 procedure

Hi,

Wanted to know whether we need to send the AC140 case via NVC or we can directly send it to Delhi Consulate.

Also I stayed at different places in India. Do I need to take the PCC from every city?

Thanks
Rajnish

Re: AC140 procedure

Originally posted by gbittu
Hi,

Wanted to know whether we need to send the AC140 case via NVC or we can directly send it to Delhi Consulate.

Your attorney should send the case directly to US Consulate, New Delhi.

Also I stayed at different places in India. Do I need to take the PCC from every city?

If you are presently in US, all you need is a PCC from the Indian Consualte in US.

Thanks
Rajnish

Thanks cpdelhi for your reply.

I think these are very trivial question but can you please tell me about what my attorney should take care while sending the papers to Delhi consulate. I came to know that each and every papers should have a seal and signature of the attorney.

Also I was going through the experiences on this forum somebody mentioned that in Bomaby consulate he was asked for the local community PCC although he was having consulate issued PCC.

Thanks
Rajnish

Some answers

Originally posted by gbittu
Thanks cpdelhi for your reply.

I think these are very trivial question but can you please tell me about what my attorney should take care while sending the papers to Delhi consulate. I came to know that each and every papers should have a seal and signature of the attorney.

Since you will need an attorney for AC-140 route, s/he should know in details about all the docs required for AC-140.

Sorry. I haven't done AC-140 so I cannot give you the correct/complete information. Post these question on another thread where there is mention of AC-140. I am sure soembody will reply to your question.

Try this thread:[Successful CP in Mumbai - AC140 ]
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=

Also I was going through the experiences on this forum somebody mentioned that in Bomaby consulate he was asked for the local community PCC although he was having consulate issued PCC.

I haven't heard of any individual presently staying in US, who had gone for a CP interview in India being asked for a PCC from local authority in India. But if one of your dependent is in India, then a PCC from local police station and Passport office might be necessary.

Thanks
Rajnish

AC-140

cpDelhi and all:

You have contributed greatly to this thread. Congrats!

After a long wait of 23 months, my LC (NJ) got approved recently (AD-5/29/03, ND-7/06/2001). The attorney is now preparing the papers for I-140 (thru VSC), which I asked him to file CP route (thru NWD). My suggestion to all CPers is:

Since CPers forego the advantage of concurrent filing, AC21 portability, EAD etc., why all CP cases not be filed as AC I-140? In doing so, the following steps may be avoided, thus a saving of 2-3 months time.

1. INS sends the I-140 approval notices to the attorney and National Visa Center in Portsmouth, NH.
2. NVC creates a case file and assigns a case number.
3. NVC then sends the Bills for fee to your Attorney.
4. The Attorney or you send the payment to St. Louis office of NVC.
5. St. Louis encashes the checks and intimates NVC.
6. NVC sends the Packet 3 to your Attorney.

NB: I believe proving hardship for justifying AC 140 should not be a problem for the attorney. Isn't a long wait of 2-3 years in LC, I-140 and CP enough justification?

Rsinghal,

If you opt for CP during your I140 stage, the AC140 question does not arise. I know of an applicant who did AC140 even when he had opted for CP during I140 but INS had sent him an approval for AOS! While it is true that one may save a month or two by way of AC140, one is subject to possible 'security check' delays at the consulate. This may be because of bypassing the NVC review. If the delay happens before the interview, it is not a major factor- but we all dread the delay after one goes to India for an interview and then the consulate decides to review your security check while you cool your heels in India! While this is in no way intended to discourage AC140 applicants, I would prefer to go via the proper channel( ie, the NVC) rather than try the AC140 after approval of I140 for AOS. There is always the likelihood that the consulate might change their minds about accepting AC140-which would delay our cases by a long time.;)

AC-140 channel

AC-140 channel of obtaining GC was made for applicants who initially chose AOS (I-485) and then wanted to shift to CP route. Some reasons to not having ONLY the AC-140 channel:
1. There will be more delay in processing as all the work will be done by the US consulates through out the world.
2. All US consualtes don't accept AC-140
3. All US consulates mighty not have the staff to take new responsibility.
4. And worthy individuals from countries(which have been black listed by US) might get more affected.
5. An attorney is a MUST for AC-140 and not for CP. An individual can do the CP paperwork by himself/herself.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Rsinghal,

Rajeev and cpDelhi:
Thanks for your replies. You have a valid concern that NVC-bypassed cases may face stricter scrutiny at consulates. But I am still not convinced why AC-140 can't be filed even though CP was opted alongwith the filing of I-140. The following link provides detailed info on AC I-140. I don't see that AC-140 can't be attempted even when one opted CP while filing the I-140. Could you please throw more light on this? http://imminfo.com/Knowledgebase/FAQs/ACI140.html

I have seen people do that before...

But my understanding is this:
1. AC 140 is a discretionary provision

2. NVC is the proper route for CP as designed by the Dept of state

3. When you bypass the standard route and the body that gets to use its discretion in this case- the local US consulate, would be right to refuse to accept your application. This would be a more common phenomenon if all applicants started doing what you are proposing. This is why I would never recommend it. If you genuinely preferred AOS to begin with and then had a change of heart, I understand and so would the consulate. However if your approved I140 is at the NVC and you apply by AC140 route, there is bound to be some consternation, both at NVC and the Consulate. May be the consulates have not realized the full details of the few who have tried this successfully; but if more people try this, be prepared to see refusals.;)

AC-140 channel

RSinghal,

AC-140 case MUST have an attorney to process the case, while it is not necessary for the classical CP route to have an attorney on file.

I don't think either myself or Rajeev are trying to convince you of doing one thing or the other. We are just trying to inform you with our knoweldge + experience.

There is a hole in the objective of AC-140. Some individuals have used if for thier benefit. You may also do it. You will need an attorney for doing AC-140 and s/he will give a fair evaluation based on the characteristics of your case.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: AC-140 channel

cpDelhi and Rajeev:

I agree with you both. From the discussion it looks like the AC-140 route may be a riskier proposition. I have already requested my attorney for filing AC-140 on the basis of the hardship and will go per her advice. But won't insist her.

Thanks for your mature advice.

Now don't misunderstand me...

I don't think AC140 is 'risky'. If the consulate refuses to accept your case, all you lose is time, not your Green card. So, for the benefit of others who might benefit from our banter, AC140 is quite safe if done in the right circumstances at the consulate that accepts such applications. The debate we have had is to characterize which circumstances justify the use of AC140.

Re: Now don't misunderstand me...

Yes, Rajeev. I understand that. Of course, no misunderstandings. We all are sharing and learning from each others experiences.

Thanks,

Anyone expecting August Interview

Anyone expecting August Interview in Delhi please discuss the same over here.

Today I say list of July interviews at Delhi US consulate web site, I was wondering that there were about 125 cases which were employment based but did not find any discussions about July or August interviews on this forum.

Please share your information over here.

Thanks

My case was sent to delhi in 12 June, have written mail to consulate about the same today. Mine is EB3 category.

Delhi CPers: Silent Watchers

Usually Delhi CPers are silent watchers.

They are usually lazy to take active part in the discussion here on this forum. I have been watching this happen for last 8 months.

But don't worry about Delhi CPers who don't want to be active part of this forum. If you have any questions, feel free to post here and someone will surely reply.

Thanks & Good Luck.

Re: Anyone expecting August Interview

Originally posted by abihitesh
Anyone expecting August Interview in Delhi please discuss the same over here.

Today I say list of July interviews at Delhi US consulate web site, I was wondering that there were about 125 cases which were employment based but did not find any discussions about July or August interviews on this forum.

Please share your information over here.

Thanks

My case was sent to delhi in 12 June, have written mail to consulate about the same today. Mine is EB3 category.

You should expect a interview date in August.

Recd. Welcome Letters

Recd. Welcome Letters today along with 13 digit SRC number needed to check status online. Now waiting for card to arrive.

POE - 6/2 Minneapolis

\rahul07

Re: Delhi CPers: Silent Watchers

cpDelhi:

As abihitesh mentioned, it is surprising to note that out of 125 EB category CPers due for interview at Delhi in July alone, there is hardly any sharing or learning from each others. I see CPers from other consulates discuss, share, learn and benefit from each others experiences. Sometimes several candidates having interviews on the same date get acquainted beforehand through this portal. And guys, it must be great when you might be meeting in the Indian consulate for the first time.

The Delhi CPers, please take advantage of the wonderful opportunity being provided thru this forum, thus, making your long and non-competitive journeys to the common manjil (Green Card) less stressful.