Consular Processing (New Delhi)

POE at Minneapolis - June 02, 2003

No trouble at POE at Minneapolis.

Stood in the line for US Citizens & Residents (Only filled customs form). THe officer checked sealed envelops for both me and my wife and directed us to go BCIS office 30 feet away.

Inside they again checked documents - took fingerprints and also stamped on passport (valid for one year). Officer also stated that it may take 6-8 months for actual card. Whole process took about 15 minutes.

Question:

1. THe officer only took the fingerprint of only one finger (for ID card). NOt sure if she was supposed to finger print both hands or not. Can anyone pls calirify.

Thanks
\rahul07

cp verses 485

CP thanks for your response..u mentioned prefering 485 to CP at this stage ..any reasons why..what will your guess work be about when my GC should come thru..I plan to quit my current job in july next yr and getting GC so close to that date is the reason I explored Cp options..would welcome suggestions...again my AD is 11/02 FP 01/03

Re: POE at Minneapolis - June 02, 2003

Originally posted by rahul07
No trouble at POE at Minneapolis.
Congrats.

Stood in the line for US Citizens & Residents (Only filled customs form). THe officer checked sealed envelops for both me and my wife and directed us to go BCIS office 30 feet away.

Inside they again checked documents - took fingerprints and also stamped on passport (valid for one year). Officer also stated that it may take 6-8 months for actual card. Whole process took about 15 minutes.

If eveything is OK and all docs, photos are complete, you should get the welcome letters in two to three weeks and Plastic card within 3 to 4 weeks.

Question:

1. THe officer only took the fingerprint of only one finger (for ID card). NOt sure if she was supposed to finger print both hands or not. Can anyone pls calirify.

Only one hand (right) finger print at two places were taken in my case. I think I also signed at two places.

Thanks
\rahul07

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks cpDelhi for prompt reply. You contribution to this forum is very much appreciated!!!!

I will try to keep the forum posted about further developments in my case.

\rahul07

Re: cp verses 485

Originally posted by elector
CP thanks for your response..u mentioned prefering 485 to CP at this stage ..any reasons why
Reason 1: You can change jobs in AOS route and not CP.
Reason 2: Your wife also get the authorization to work.
Reason 3: I-824 approval might take 5 -6 months. I am not sure if Delhi accepts AC-140 without I-824 approval. If it does than your CP case might move faster.

My earlier reply was based on your posting saying that you expect to have GC by 2004. In the AOS route, that is being very optimistic. If that's true AOS might be better for you. I think if your I-140 approval date is Nov 2002, then it will take longer than July 2004 to get the GC via the AOS route. IN that case, CP might be better for your case, if you want to get the GC faster. But you cannot change job or loose your job while following the CP route. Please make sure you understand the advantages and disadvantages of AOS and CP.

..what will your guess work be about when my GC should come thru..

AOS or CP?

I plan to quit my current job in july next yr
Cannot quit job if taking the CP route till GC is approved. And techically after that also for some time.

Can change jobs in AOS route.

and getting GC so close to that date is the reason I explored Cp options..would welcome suggestions...again my AD is 11/02 FP 01/03

CP thanks for your prompt opinions..apprecite them ..we already have work permits and AP issued....my I 140 was actually approved in february 2001 but due to a section 212 E requiremnet had to wait before applying for 485..which was filed and accepted in nov 2002..so my q was processing time for the 485 which states 15 to 18 months and that I presume started in nov 2002....and hence my dilema about cp process v/s 485 route...

Originally posted by elector
CP thanks for your prompt opinions..apprecite them ..we already have work permits and AP issued....my I 140 was actually approved in february 2001 but due to a section 212 E requiremnet had to wait before applying for 485..which was filed and accepted in nov 2002..so my q was processing time for the 485 which states 15 to 18 months
Processing time for I-485 is much longer than 18 months. The I-485 processing is also little dependent on the BCIS/INS Service centers. Some centers are faster tah other. I don't which BCIS Service center does you case fall in.

Current I-485 processing dates. (www.murthy.com)
Texas : 11.01.2000
California: 11.16.2001
Nebraska: 08.22.2001
Vermont: 12.03.2001

Assuming that your case is in Nebrsaka (which is teh fastest as per the current data), It will take atleast more than a year to get your status current. BCIS/INS date don't move one to one with the actual dates. So it might take longer than just 11 months difference in your I-485 filing date. Even after the I-485 ajudication date is current, it takes time to get GC.

Understand very clearly that you cannot lose your job or change jobs till GC is approved.

and that I presume started in nov 2002....and hence my dilema about cp process v/s 485 route...

My personal opinion: If you have a stright forward case and 485 was filed in Nov 2002, CP might work aout better for you.

Consult an attorney to be double safe.

cpDelhi,

In 485 route, one can use AC21 portability provision to change to a similar job after 6 months of filing.
Do you have any comments or experiences on using this rule? Is it safe? Who decides the new
job is similar or not?

Also, 485 route seems to better in the sense that one can get EAD and AP.

Its the final decision of the individual to judge both the options.

Originally posted by waitingforgceb2
cpDelhi,

In 485 route, one can use AC21 portability provision to change to a similar job after 6 months of filing.
Do you have any comments or experiences on using this rule? Is it safe?

It's safe to use the AC21 portability provision. A friend of mine had to use it because he lost his job after filing 485.

Who decides the new job is similar or not?

I am not sure who decides if the job is similar or not. In my knowledge this is a grey area. As far as you have similar job, it should be OK. I think what BCIS means is that a software professional cannot get a job of a dish washer.

Also, 485 route seems to better in the sense that one can get EAD and AP.

True. But depend on individual requirements.

Its the final decision of the individual to judge both the options.

Q re P4

Recd the P4 at the US address earlier in the week, did not see requirement of Employer ver letter anywhere in the document, I am assuming that if no dependents are involved, neither I-134 NOR I 864 (Affidavit of Support) are required. Mine is EB2, Please comment.
Thanks.
ps; the IV letter is not signed! is this normal?

Re: Q re P4

Originally posted by arreosamba
Recd the P4 at the US address earlier in the week,
Conrats.

did not see requirement of Employer ver letter anywhere in the document,

There should be mention of the "Affidavit of support" in the P4 envelope.
For Employment based immigration:
For Primary Applicant: Need Notarized employment letter from the Employer (a MUST).
For Dependents: Need I-134 for each dependent.

For Family based immigration:
I-864 for everybody(you and your dependents, usually gievn by your sponsorer/relative)

I am assuming that if no dependents are involved, neither I-134 NOR I 864 (Affidavit of Support) are required.

If no dependents, only the notarized employment letter is required.

Mine is EB2, Please comment.

I hope my reply above is clear. If not, post again with your questions.

Thanks.
ps; the IV letter is not signed! is this normal?

Yes. The interview letter in P4 is not signed. It's normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question about Employment letter

Hi CPDelhi,

My review was completed last week and I have one questions.

1. Does Notarized employment letter means, the seal employer puts on the letter and sign it or it should be notarized with any nottary public, if yes, I do not understand notarizing original employment letter, usually the photo copy is notarized against any original, please clerify.

Thanks

No,

It is the original letter that needs to be notarized. It is valid only if notarized. You may take copies of the NOTARIZED original letter without any further need for notarization.;)

Another quick question

Hi,

I understand that employment letter should have employer's seal and signature, the same letter is nautrized by any notary public. Is it correct?

I am expecting august inverview, my son's passport expires in march 2004? Should I go for renival or it's OK? Please comment.

Thanks

Re: Another quick question

Originally posted by abihitesh
Hi,

I understand that employment letter should have employer's seal and signature, the same letter is nautrized by any notary public. Is it correct?

Yes. The original employment letter needs to be notarized.

I am expecting august inverview, my son's passport expires in march 2004? Should I go for renival or it's OK? Please comment.

All passports (your and all dependents) should be valid for atleast 6 months from the day of your CP interview. I think it will be safe to request a new passport for your son, just in case the interview date is delayed and you become a border line case. Getting a new passport for your son now, will also avoid any anxious moments reagarding this issue at the interview time.

Thanks

abihitesh

The notary is certifying that the signature on the employment letter is indeed by the designated official of the company which offers the job. .othewise anybody who has access to company letter head can make one of those letters..right...?

so get your employment letter notarized in US ..otherwise it is not acceptable..

dmn

Re: Another quick question

Originally posted by abihitesh
Hi,

Thanks

Just want to add the following to the other posts:

Your employer ( who ever signs the employment letter) will prepare the letter and sign before the notary public. Then only
the notary public will notarize the letter. Other than requesting
the letter in this fashion you have no role to play in this.

Get your son's passport renewed. Find out how far ahead of the
expiry date they would renew.

Raju

Finger Print

Hi ,
Two week is obver i called the embassy. They told me that they sent it on 4th June to NVC.

But my case did not come thru the NVC . IS there any problem. Or they always check thru the NVC.

Once the NVC will recieved and they will sent to the FBI. How it will work. Do you have any idea.

Thanks
Raj

What type of case is your's

Is your GC employment based or family based?

Did you live in US before the interview?

Can you please give your details?

Roughly it takes one week for any packet to reach NVS and another 10 days to enter/forward to required agency. I had applied for canadian immigration also and for the same I did my finger print from FBI, it took four weeks.

Thus it may take about 1.5 to 2 months to complete the process if everything is smooth.

You may call NVS if its there system or they may not enter it in system, try to get as much as details you can.