Concurrent Filing - Using Cross Chargeability

Self-selection bias

Guys,

There definitely is something afoot - I mean almost all of us posting on this board are from India, using CC, and primary stuck in name check (in my case not even FP notice yet,but it's only been a month). It sure feels like something is going on.

At the same time, we should be aware of the self selection bias as they say in statistics. Even though 100% (or close to it) of the posters here have the same problem, the very fact that many are posting here already means that they have problems. We posting here may be a very small percentage of those filing from India with CC - those who got everything without problems and so we have never heard of them. We need to find out from different sources if there have been any succesful cases of India/CC in recent times, and if anyone finds a friend (of a friend of a friend) for whom it worked, please post it here.
It'll kill the conspiracy theory and make it easier to breathe.

On the other hand, if the problem is genuine, what can we do about it? Seems like they even took the last resort (lawsuit) away :( I just wish some group would lobby for our green cards, but no one is interested in our fate! The US is focused on *illegal* immigration, and companies are focused on H1Bs, not GCs.

At some point, they will start losing skilled people who help grow the US economy and realize the problem. By then, it may be too late for us.

Enough philosophizing. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and make the most of it. But I've decided to not put my career on a hold. I'm toying with moving to Canada/Europe in a better position instead of being stuck in the same job here if the GC doesn't come through by mid 2008.

Guys,

There definitely is something afoot - I mean almost all of us posting on this board are from India, using CC, and primary stuck in name check (in my case not even FP notice yet,but it's only been a month). It sure feels like something is going on.

At the same time, we should be aware of the self selection bias as they say in statistics. Even though 100% (or close to it) of the posters here have the same problem, the very fact that many are posting here already means that they have problems. We posting here may be a very small percentage of those filing from India with CC - those who got everything without problems and so we have never heard of them. We need to find out from different sources if there have been any succesful cases of India/CC in recent times, and if anyone finds a friend (of a friend of a friend) for whom it worked, please post it here.
It'll kill the conspiracy theory and make it easier to breathe.

On the other hand, if the problem is genuine, what can we do about it? Seems like they even took the last resort (lawsuit) away :( I just wish some group would lobby for our green cards, but no one is interested in our fate! The US is focused on *illegal* immigration, and companies are focused on H1Bs, not GCs.

At some point, they will start losing skilled people who help grow the US economy and realize the problem. By then, it may be too late for us.

Enough philosophizing. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and make the most of it. But I've decided to not put my career on a hold. I'm toying with moving to Canada/Europe in a better position instead of being stuck in the same job here if the GC doesn't come through by mid 2008.
Same here. Mid 2008 is what I have decided too. Its not worth waiting all this while, have to decide a cut off date.

Same here. Mid 2008 is what I have decided too. Its not worth waiting all this while, have to decide a cut off date.

Speaking for myself, I dont think that I'm in that bad a situation where I have to give myself a 'cut-off date', so to speak. I mean, think about all the people that are waiting for visa numbers - people that have applied much before we have and will probably be waiting long after we're done. Sure its still frustrating but it could have been a lot lot worse. Getting a green card has always had the reputation of being something really intensive - its not like things just turned bad last week; I mean, weren't you guys prepared for this? I have lots of plans too - several business ideas that I want to try (FYI, not another desi consulting firm ;) ), and I really wish they would hurry up with it. Well, I guess I'm in a forgiving mood today - tomorrow might find me a lot more belligerent. Hang in there everyone - nobody said it was going to be a breeze - at least its not a nightmare.

vik

Speaking for myself, I dont think that I'm in that bad a situation where I have to give myself a 'cut-off date', so to speak. I mean, think about all the people that are waiting for visa numbers - people that have applied much before we have and will probably be waiting long after we're done. Sure its still frustrating but it could have been a lot lot worse. Getting a green card has always had the reputation of being something really intensive - its not like things just turned bad last week; I mean, weren't you guys prepared for this? I have lots of plans too - several business ideas that I want to try (FYI, not another desi consulting firm ;) ), and I really wish they would hurry up with it. Well, I guess I'm in a forgiving mood today - tomorrow might find me a lot more belligerent. Hang in there everyone - nobody said it was going to be a breeze - at least its not a nightmare.

vik

Very very well said. See, thing is, I have good days and bad days with this process too. Some days are exponentially worse than the others. I think this arises from the feeling of being absolutely helpless since things at this point are not within your control.
Guys, Vik put it best....we all know what we're in for...and we're actually MUCH MUCH better off than the poor folks who cannot even file for AOS right now...hundreds of thousands of Indians and Chinese. Granted that might be an inflated number, but these folks are going to wait a long time before their PD becomes current allowing them to file; time that they need to expend in relative uncertainty of when the quota would open and time spent in having to keep renewing H1Bs, be worried about layoffs, not pursue secondary jobs, worry about getting passports stamped for travel, and on and on and on.
We've filed our 485s, we are in the system, most if not all have our EADs and APs..and those who don't shall beget them soon enough. We're lucky. Very lucky to have come this far.
Setting personal goals and priorities is crucial, and I even advocate folks to have backup plans. Our late friend Radd for instance applied for Australian PR. I know several folks who've opted for Canadian PR as a backup plan. But, sooner or later, our day will come and each of us shall look back on this arduous process with knowledge that it caused great stress, but in the end, it may all be worth it.
HANG IN THERE!

Hey ks and Vik,

Good posts and I agree with both of you. Patience is called for. In my case, it's only been a month since 485 was filed (although I was stuck in labor for 4 years), so I have no business to be impatient, and I am not.

My own post wasn't a rant but a level headed statement. It's not in a moment of hot headedness that I've decided to quit the process in mid 2008, andthat date is certainly not set in stone. To me, the older I get stuck in the same career, the less important the benefits of the GC becomes compared to moving up the ladder in a job in Canada or the UK, say (my wife is from the UK and she's ready to move back the day I say "Yes"!). AC-21 doesn't appeal to me because I don't want to work in the same role. In my personal situation, I have to seize the opportunity to climb in the next 2 years or the window will pass (for various reasons). And like me (and mansarovar), many people might decide that it's not worth it for whatever reason to stay here, and the net effect is a loss to the US. All I want is for the government to realize that we benefit their great country and not harm it.

Like you said ks, one day we'll look back at this and laugh :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Infopass

So I had my appt. this morning. For the FP, they weren't much help though except asking me to call the 1-800 number and requesting an asc appt directly. But they did say that the name check was independent of the FP, and was already initiated (and still pending) on March 17th.

Just spoke to someone at Nebraska - security check still pending :)

Oh btw, here's the sequence to talk to someone real quick. If you call your service center before it closes, they can tell you about the namecheck. If you get a message saying we're closed, redirecting to the national customer service center, those guys dont have the name check information.

1 800 375 5283

1..2..2..6..1..your case number..1..wait for the automated status message, then..3..4

Prob repeat info but it wont hurt.

vik

LUDs

Hi all - What does a LUD on Travel Document and EAD mean when tracking online? I see a LUD on travel document only. Does that mean its approved and on its way?

Thanks

Hi all - What does a LUD on Travel Document and EAD mean when tracking online? I see a LUD on travel document only. Does that mean its approved and on its way?

Thanks

Means someone's working on it. Considering its a very minor process, you should see the approval soon. But it'll say approved when its approved so no, its not approved yet.

vik

Prez,

You said,
"To me, the older I get stuck in the same career, the less important the benefits of the GC becomes compared to moving up the ladder in a job in Canada or the UK, say (my wife is from the UK and she's ready to move back the day I say "Yes"!). AC-21 doesn't appeal to me because I don't want to work in the same role. In my personal situation, I have to seize the opportunity to climb in the next 2 years or the window will pass (for various reasons)."

Touche, I can only agree.

It is soothing in a weird way to know that there is someone else in exactly the same situation as mine. I second what you said.

Means someone's working on it. Considering its a very minor process, you should see the approval soon. But it'll say approved when its approved so no, its not approved yet.

vik

Thanks! I see now where it shows the actual status

Touche, I can only agree.

It is soothing in a weird way to know that there is someone else in exactly the same situation as mine. I second what you said.

Hang in there man, as ks and vik said.

I'm trying to look at this wait as an opportunity to polish up on the skills I'll need so I can jumpstart things again after the GC (like polishing my presentation skills, one thing I've realized is, the higher you climb, the better a salesman you need to be :) ). Perhaps you can also put the GC thoughts on the backburner, do your thing, and then one day when it comes, you will be ready to make your switch.

So I had my appt. this morning. For the FP, they weren't much help though except asking me to call the 1-800 number and requesting an asc appt directly. But they did say that the name check was independent of the FP, and was already initiated (and still pending) on March 17th.
Sigh...typical...you're at the ASC and they want you to call the 800 number and schedule an appoinment at the same ASC..."have your people call my people".
Well, on the plus side, at least you know what they've advised and got information about your name check status as well.

Thanks
Dedo,
Usually a very good thing...someone's looking at the case(s). Approvals should be forthcoming.

My EAD renewal finally got approved after replying to the RFE related to photos.Now I am back to waiting on my 140 and 485.

Need Clarification

Hi All,

I'm confused about the place where you file your concurrent 140/485 forms, where it can be done: Nebraska center only (as stated in USCIS site) or at the other regional centers as well?
I would really appreciate if someone could provide some input on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I'm confused about the place where you file your concurrent 140/485 forms, where it can be done: Nebraska center only (as stated in USCIS site) or at the other regional centers as well?
I would really appreciate if someone could provide some input on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

I think you have to file them in Nebrasaka.

Question for everyone...I'm a little confused why everybody's in a rush to renew EAD's and AP's. Can we not just renew them when we need to - of course, considering we dont need them right now. Like, if I know I wont be travelling abroad until next year, can I not just apply for AP renewals next year sometime?

vik

Sigh...typical...you're at the ASC and they want you to call the 800 number and schedule an appoinment at the same ASC..."have your people call my people".
Well, on the plus side, at least you know what they've advised and got information about your name check status as well.

Hey ks,

Wouldn't you know it?! The day after my InfoPass appointment, there's a letter in the mail about the FP! :) So at least that headache is over now.

I'm going to forget about the Green Card for the next two months before jumping around for the next round of InfoPass etc. Easier said than done though :)