Concurrent Filing - Using Cross Chargeability

radd

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm starting this thread for people using the cross chargeability clause to file or have filed for I485. Especially during this retrogression period.

Please post your details & share any problems/situations that you may have encountered.

Thanks,
radd
LC not approved yet
In PBEC : Final Review
RIR VA EB2
PD: 03/2002
Cross chargeability country: Singapore

Last edited by a moderator:
AOS and cross chargeability

Radd,

Thanks for starting this thread.
I would like to know if anyone has been successful with cross chargeability and using their spouses country. Please post any details or experiences.

MDGUTS1307 said:
Radd,

Thanks for starting this thread.
I would like to know if anyone has been successful with cross chargeability and using their spouses country. Please post any details or experiences.

MDGUTS1307,

are you planning to apply through cross chargeability? What stage are you in?

radd

Thinking about cross chargeability

Fired off an e-mail to my lawyers to find out if I can use birth country of spouse. No response yet. Are you guys having any luck with your cases with CC ? Any precedent of 485 approvals with this. Did you get a thumbs up from your lawyer ?

radd said:
MDGUTS1307,

are you planning to apply through cross chargeability? What stage are you in?

radd

dont think JUST DO IT

chevalblanc said:
Fired off an e-mail to my lawyers to find out if I can use birth country of spouse. No response yet. Are you guys having any luck with your cases with CC ? Any precedent of 485 approvals with this. Did you get a thumbs up from your lawyer ?

Hi,

radd, thank you buddy for starting this thread. Good job.
This is my case history so far...

EB3 Concurrent filing (Cross-chargeability to UK)
LC Priority: May 2004 :(
I-140/485/EAD/AP RD: (self & spouse) 29 Jun 2005 ; ND: 11 Jul 2005
FP ND: (self & spouse) 30 Aug 2005
EAD AD: (self) 23 Aug 2005 ; (spouse) 02 Sep 2005
EAD card: (self) 02 Sep 2005 ; (spouse) 09 Sep 2005 - Card's recd.
AP AD: (self) 26 Aug 2005 ; (spouse) 06 Sep 2005
I-140 AD: 29 Aug 2005
I-485: (self & spouse) LUD1 - 30 Aug 2005; LUD2 - 09 Sep 2005 FP results recd. processing resumed; LUD3 - 12 Sep 2005 - No msg. change
I-485 AD: ???? :mad:

Chevalblanc, if possible, make sure to apply concurrently in EB2 using Cross Chargeability (my lawyer or lier?? and company messed up on this big time, they filed under EB3 for me even though I qualified for EB2!), it is CURRENT as of now. So I-485 should not be a problem.
My suggestion would be to do this ASAP.

Cheers,

kedzone

chevalblanc said:

My lawyer said it's possible. Obviously he didn't voluntarily tell, even knowing my situation :rolleyes:.. Anyway, he said you need to submit copies of spouse's BC & your marriage cert.

When applying I485, you need to mention in your cover that you are using the cross chargeability clause, IN BOLD. thanks for info, Kedzone.

Not everyone/lawyer agrees that we can use this clause in this situation..
But it has worked in Kedzone's situation and there is no harm trying.

I got the below info:

(Excerpted from Immigration Made Simple: An Easy to Read Guide to the U.S. Immigration Process by Barbara Brooks Kimmel & Alan M. Lubiner)

The country quota under which an applicant must apply for an immigrant visa is commonly referred to as the alien’s “chargeability”. There are four exceptions to chargeability by place of birth. These exceptions are known as “cross-chargeability”.

1. If the alien is married to another alien who is a citizen of a different country, the couple can apply under the more favorable quota. For example, if a woman born in the Philippines is married to a man born in Canada, the application for permanent residence can be made under either the Philippine or Canadian quota. In this case, the Canadian quota would be more favorable than that for the Philippines.

2. If the alien was accidentally born in a different country from the place of birth of his or her parents, and the parents were not firmly settled in the country where the child was born, the alien can be charged to the place of birth of either parent. For example, a Venezuelan couple on vacation in Mexico give birth to a baby. Subsequently, the family immigrates to the U.S. The baby will be charged to the Venezuelan rather than the Mexican quota.

If the parents never immigrated to the U. S., but this child later immigrated as an adult, he or she could still be charged to the Venezuelan quota, as long as proof existed that the child’s place of birth was, indeed, an accident.

3. Minor children can be charged to either parent’s place of birth. For example, a Canadian executive of an international company is sent to work in Taiwan for two years. His British born wife accompanies him. During the couple’s stay in Taiwan, the wife gives birth to a child. At the end of the two years, the family is transferred to the U.S. in L-1 status. They subsequently apply for permanent residence. The Taiwan born child can be charged either to the Canadian or British quota.

4. Former U.S. citizens can be charged to their country of last residence or country of citizenship.

Why are these cross-chargeability categories important? Because several countries have many more than their maximum allowable number of citizens applying for permanent residence in the U.S. each year.This results in long delays in obtaining green cards. When an applicant benefits from cross-chargeability, the processing time can be significantly shortened.

Also found the below from Murhy's chat - 07/18/05:

Chat User : Hi. My spouse is a GC holder. When I apply for I-485 (employment based), can I charge the quota of my spouse's country of birth (cross chargeability)? Thanks.

Attorney Murthy : There is some conflict between the U.S. Department of State (DOS) and the USCIS on cross-chargeability issues. For the USCIS, it is narrower, so a person filing the I-485 may be subject to the more narrow interpretation, compared to the broader interpretation found under the Foreign Affairs Manual, or the FAM, that the DOS and the consulates follow. Since cross chargeability is a DOS issue, it should be argued that the spouse's country of birth should be used even for the principal person.

Good luck with your lawyer. But if you find it hard to convince him... do yourself good & fire him.. You would be better off without him anyway.. ;)

radd

Can I Use Cross Changeability?

I'm from India.I had filed my I-140& 485 in July '04. My
I-140 was approved in July 2005. I'm still awaiting for 485 approval.
I know from Oct'05, EB2 would also be retrogressed.

I had filed my wife's I-485 this month(i.e Sept'05).She's a Canadian Citizen, but she was born in Saudi Arabia as an Indian Citizen.

My question is, Would I(Primary) be affected from retrogression or not from Oct'05,because my spouse's(derivative Applicant) country of birth(Cross Changeability) is not India? Would Cross Changeability(CC) be of any help to us or not?

If not then How does USCIS would know its a CC case?
======================================
One_to_infinity
EB2(Sub Lab)
PD:Aug 2003.
I-140/485 (self) RD:Jul 2004
I-140 AD: Jul 2005
I-485 RD: (spouse) I-485 AD: ????

one_toinfinity said:
I'm from India.I had filed my I-140& 485 in July '04. My
I-140 was approved in July 2005. I'm still awaiting for 485 approval.
I know from Oct'05, EB2 would also be retrogressed.

I had filed my wife's I-485 this month(i.e Sept'05).She's a Canadian Citizen, but she was born in Saudi Arabia as an Indian Citizen.

My question is, Would I(Primary) be affected from retrogression or not from Oct'05,because my spouse's(derivative Applicant) country of birth(Cross Changeability) is not India? Would Cross Changeability(CC) be of any help to us or not?

If not then How does USCIS would know its a CC case?
One_to_infinity
EB2(Sub Lab)
I-485 RD: (spouse) I-485 AD: ????

I am still learning about CC. I think you should check with your lawyer. But it you cannot use CC, you will definitely be affected by retrogression. The dates have to be current.

Why didn't you file the I485 jointly? There is no form for cc. USCIS would not process your I485 under CC without you specifically telling them to.

Again check with your lawyer and see how CC can help you.

radd

Radd,
Thanks for the reply. I got married after I had filed my I-485. I have already asked(emailed) this to my attorney, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

I didn't know about CC, when I was filing my wife's I-485 else I would have written in BOLD.

I'll keep posted if I hear anything from my attorney on this.

One_to_infinity
EB2(Sub Lab)
I-485 RD: (spouse):Sept '05
I 485 AD:???

Cross chargeability and AOS

I have read that there are differences in how the rule for CC is applied, depending on if one is doing AOS or CO.

Does anyone have any experience successfully getting CC with AOS ?
Please post your experiences.

I-140 (TSC) EB2 NIW AD 9/05
485: pending
FP 9/05
Spouse born in non retro country.

MDGUTS1307 said:
I have read that there are differences in how the rule for CC is applied, depending on if one is doing AOS or CO.

FP 9/05

I read about that too in some attoney's website. But there is no hard evidence that using CC in AOS is tougher. Eariler poster Kedzone, is an example for us. He has applied using CC in I485 & they are processing his case.. Well the way I look at it, something is better than nothing.. Even if processing time is a little longer, you still can apply for EAD & AP... (which I think most of us are looking forward too..)

I am actually going to talk to a attoney in detail regarding this.. Will update you guys on it.. ;)

radd

some internet sites on Cross chargeability

Radd,

Thanks for the post.

I agree that this gives one an option. I am also waiting to discuss this with my attorney and have not be able to contact him yet.

Some sites I have read about this are as follows, along with the texts ( for the benefit of folks who are new to this thread).
Others can add if they find any other ones.

http://www.murthy.com/chatlogs/ch071805_P.html
"Attorney Murthy : There is some conflict between the U.S. Department of State (DOS) and the USCIS on cross-chargeability issues. For the USCIS, it is narrower, so a person filing the I-485 may be subject to the more narrow interpretation, compared to the broader interpretation found under the Foreign Affairs Manual, or the FAM, that the DOS and the consulates follow. Since cross chargeability is a DOS issue, it should be argued that the spouse's country of birth should be used even for the principal person.

http://www.immigration.com/fromtheagency/tsc82705.html

Visa Cross-Chargeability Request Form

Attorneys should attach a "Visa Cross-Chargeability Request Form" cover sheet with large, bold lettering to flag I-485s requesting Visa Cross-Chargeability. Click here for the sample. Provide the following information: Name of Principal Alien, Country of Principal Alien, Name of Spouse, Country of Spouse, and stating "DUE TO VISA REGRESSION, PLEASE CONSIDER CROSS-CHARGEABILITY FOR THIS CASE".

Wrongfully rejected cases because the cross chargeability request was overlooked should re-file with the aforementioned "Visa Cross-Chargeability Request Form" cover sheet. The filing should also include a request for nunc pro tunc acceptance and a backdated "received" date based on the filing having been "previously rejected in error". Proof of timeliness of the previous filing attempt should be included. The filing will go to the proper officer for consideration of the nunc pro tunc request by using the Visa Cross-Chargeability Request Form. "

http://www.tandslaw.com/news/2005feb11-2.html

"your spouse is not a native of the above-mentioned countries, you may still submit your I-485 application by applying ?cross-chargeability,? using an immigrant visa number from his or her native country, and exempting yourself from the immigration quota and relevant priority cutoff date."

http://www.kapoorlaw.com/kapoor_new...kapoor20041215173732&page_nbr=1&source=Client

"Under the concept of cross-chargeability, you can charge your immigrant visa to the country of his/her birth. Thus, assuming his/her country of birth is not backlogged, a visa number would be available to you currently even though you are the principal beneficiary and s/he is the derivative beneficiary."

http://www.usvisahelp.com/nw_vol4_iss13.html
Applicants who apply for adjustment of status in the United States would be subject to this rule as outlined in the Immigration and Nationality Act. However, applicants applying for immigrant visas using consular processing would instead be governed by the cross-chargeability rules in the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM). The FAM is more expansive in its interpretation of cross-chargeability. Where the Immigration and Nationality Act only allows derivative applicants to be charged to the country to which the principal applicant is chargeable, and not vice-versa, the FAM allows derivatives to be charged to the country of the principal applicant or for the principal applicant to be charged to the country to which his spouse is chargeable. Thus, for example, a EB3 I-140 beneficiary who is from India and marries a Swedish citizen can be charged to Sweden if his priority date is current according to the cut-off date, if any, worldwide. Note that this option is only available if the applicant uses consular processing. (Note: a parent may not derive chargeability from a child).

While technically adjustment of status applicants should be governed by the INA provisions, other AILA attorneys have successfully persuaded USCIS offices to apply the Department of State (FAM) cross-chargeability rules to adjustment of status applications. If any of our clients wanted to try doing this with an adjustment of status application, we would certainly make the attempt. However, there are no guarantees that this would work in the adjustment of status setting.

While the cross-chargeability provisions in the Immigration and Nationality Act and in the FAM will not help everyone, they may provide some relief for applicants who were born in different countries from their spouse or children.

http://immigrationlawgroup.net/faq/adj_status.php#faq15
What is Foreign State Chargeability/Cross Chargeability?

A: If your spouse was not born in a high impact immigration country (e.g. P.R. China or India), you can benefit from your spouse¹s place of birth to expedite the filing of your adjustment of status.

Good luck to everyone !

You have done a lot of research.. Tomorrow, along with other matters, I am going check about this with Rajiv kanna.. Will let you know the outcome..

Actually, in his memo dated 09/16/2005, Rajiv Kanna mentioned that it is possible too..

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13098

I really wish someone who has used CC to successfully clear I485 would post in this thread. We can learn a lot too.. However, we still have to be thankful to know that Kedzone has successfully used CC to apply I485.. At least we know that the application is accepted.

radd

MDGUTS1307, you can still apply

MDGUTS1307 said:

FP 9/05

MDGUTS1307,
I see that you are in EB2. You can still apply your I485 by end of month without using CC.. Are you working on it? Why didn't you apply it concurrently with I140?

radd

Cross chargeability

Radd,

I filed for I -140/485 concurrently along with AP and EAD (my lawyer did all this).

I am also hoping someone who has successfully used CC posts his/her experience. Kedzone's posting is encouraging.

Thanks

Cross Chargeability

MDGUTS1307 said:
Radd,

I filed for I -140/485 concurrently along with AP and EAD (my lawyer did all this).

I am also hoping someone who has successfully used CC posts his/her experience. Kedzone's posting is encouraging.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Glad to see that I was a source of encouragement :D
Well, as in my case, everything has gone smoothly so far except for I-485 which is still under process. I called up VSC and their standard answer is that they were processing applications from Sept 2004 (answer not very helpful as that's what listed on the website!)
Anywayz my case might be a little different from all you guys because my lawyer and company filed for me under EB3 :mad: even though I qualified for EB2! Alas, that's the in the past and cannot be changed.
So in short I might still be affected by retrogression even though I have used CC :(
So my advise to any new applicants who are planning to use CC: Make sure that you are EB2.
For me its a wait and watch game from now on.
Good luck to all of you.

kedzone

EB3 Concurrent filing (Cross-chargeability to UK)
LC Priority: May 2004 :(
I-140/485/EAD/AP RD: (self & spouse) 29 Jun 2005 ; ND: 11 Jul 2005
FP ND: (self & spouse) 30 Aug 2005
EAD AD: (self) 23 Aug 2005 ; (spouse) 02 Sep 2005
EAD card: (self) 02 Sep 2005 ; (spouse) 09 Sep 2005 - Card's recd.
AP AD: (self) 26 Aug 2005 ; (spouse) 06 Sep 2005
I-140 AD: 29 Aug 2005
I-485: (self & spouse) LUD1 - 30 Aug 2005; LUD2 - 09 Sep 2005 FP results recd. processing resumed; LUD3 - 12 Sep 2005 - No msg. change
I-485 AD: ???? :mad:

Update

Guys,

this morning I talked to Rajiv Kanna. Among other matters, I also discussed about CC with him. I asked him if using CC is limited to CP only... and he said that it shouldn't matter whether its CP or AOS. As long as CC is used, the primary applicant would be consider as being born in spouse's country of birth..

This is the kind of response that we want from our attoneys... but sadly.. no.. :( .. I am seriously thinking of firing my lawyer & replacing him with RK..
My lawyer is only a paper filler.. and expects consultation fees for any questions ..even those related to GC... :confused: :confused:

radd

Thanks for the update

Thanks for the update.

Radd, I agree getting a good lawyer is a good idea. If you are not happy with your current lawyer then you should get a better one. Might save a lot of headaches down the road.

Kedzone, have you thought of filing another i-140 ? How about asking the USCIS to reclassify your case to EB 2 ?

MDGUTS

More internet sites on Cross chargeability

I found few more sites about cross chargeability. I have pasted the important stuff from these sites. You can visit them for more information.

It may be a bit long. Hope this info is useful.

http://uscis.gov/lpbin/lpext.dll/in.../22cfr-1607?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm

INSERTS/22 CFR/22 CFR/PART 42--VISAS: DOCUMENTATION OF IMMIGRANTS UNDER THE IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT, AS AMENDED/Subpart B--Classification and Foreign State Chargeability/Sec. 42.12 Rules of chargeability.
Sec. 42.12 Rules of chargeability.
(a) Applicability. An immigrant shall be charged to the numerical limitation for the foreign state or dependent area of birth, unless the case falls within one of the exceptions to the general rule of chargeability provided by INA 202(b) and paragraphs (b) through (e) of this section to prevent the separation of families or the alien is classifiable under:
(1) INA 201(b);
(2) INA 101(a)(27)(A) or (B) ;
(3) Section 112 of Public Law 101-649;
(4) Section 124 of Public Law 101-649;
(5) Section 132 of Public Law 101-649;
(6) Section 134 of Public Law 101-649; or
(7) Section 584(b)(1) as contained in section 101(e) of Public Law 100-202.
(b) Exception for child. If necessary to prevent the separation of a child from the alien parent or parents, an immigrant child, including a child born in a dependent area, may be charged to the same foreign state to which a parent is chargeable if the child is accompanying or following to join the parent, in accordance with INA 202(b)(1).
(c) Exception for spouse. If necessary to prevent the separation of husband and wife, an immigrant spouse, including a spouse born in a dependent area, may be charged to a foreign state to which a spouse is chargeable if accompanying or following to join the spouse, in accordance with INA 202(b)(2).
(d) Exception for alien born in the United States. An immigrant who was born in the United States shall be charged to the foreign state of which the immigrant is a citizen or subject. If not a citizen or subject of any country, the alien shall be charged to the foreign state of last residence as determined by the consular officer, in accordance with INA 202(b)(3).
(e) Exception for alien born in foreign state in which neither parent was born or had residence at time of alien's birth. An alien who was born in a foreign state, as defined in Sec. 40.1, in which neither parent was born, and in which neither parent had a residence at the time of the applicant's birth, may be charged to the foreign state of either parent as provided in INA 202(b)(4). The parents of such an alien are not considered as having acquired a residence within the meaning of INA 202(b)(4), if, at the time of the alien's birth within the foreign state, the parents were visiting temporarily or were stationed there in connection with the business or profession and under orders or instructions of an employer, principal, or superior authority foreign to such foreign state.

http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/slb/slb-1/slb-22/slb-1232?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm

(b) Rules for Chargeability. - Each independent country, self-governing dominion, mandated territory, and territory under the international trusteeship system of the United Nations, other than the United States and its outlying possessions, shall be treated as a separate foreign state for the purposes of a numerical level established under subsection (a)(2) when approved by the Secretary of State. All other inhabited lands shall be attributed to a foreign state specified by the Secretary of State. For the purposes of this Act the foreign state to which an immigrant is chargeable shall be determined by birth within such foreign state except that-

(1) an alien child, when accompanied by or following to join his alien parent or parents, may be charged to the foreign state of either parent if such parent has received or would be qualified for an immigrant visa, if necessary to prevent the separation of the child from the parent or parents, and if immigration charged to the foreign state to which such parent has been or would be chargeable has not reached a numerical level established under subsection (a)(2) for that fiscal year;

(2) if an alien is chargeable to a different foreign state from that of his spouse, the foreign state to which such alien is chargeable may, if necessary to prevent the separation of husband and wife, be determined by the foreign state of the spouse he is accompanying or following to join, if such spouse has received or would be qualified for an immigrant visa and if immigration charged to the foreign state to which such spouse has been or would be chargeable has not reached a numerical level established under subsection (a)(2) for that fiscal year; (3) an alien born in the United States shall be considered as having been born in the country of which he is a citizen or subject, or, if he is not a citizen or subject of any country, in the last foreign country in which he had his residence as determined by the consular officer; and (4) an alien born within any foreign state in which neither of his parents was born and in which neither of his parents had a residence at the time of such alien's birth may be charged to the foreign state of either parent.

(c) Chargeability for Dependent Areas. - Any immigrant born in a colony or other component or dependent area of a foreign state overseas from the foreign state, other than an alien described in section 201(b), shall be chargeable for the purpose of the limitation set forth in subsection (a), to the foreign state.

(d) Changes in Territory. - In the case of any change in the territorial limits of foreign states, the Secretary of State shall, upon recognition of such change, issue appropriate instructions to all diplomatic and consular offices.

(e) Special Rules for Countries at Ceiling. - If it is determined that the total number of immigrant visas made available under subsections (a) and (b) of section 203 to natives of any single foreign state or dependent area will exceed the numerical limitation specified in subsection (a)(2) in any fiscal year, in determining the allotment of immigrant visa numbers to natives under subsections (a) and (b) of section 203, visa numbers with respect to natives of that state or area shall be allocated (to the extent practicable and otherwise consistent with this section and section 203) in a manner so that -

(1) the ratio of the visa numbers made available under section 203(a) to the visa numbers made available under section 203(b) is equal to the ratio of the worldwide level of immigration under section 201(c) to such level under section 201(d);

(2) except as provided in subsection (a)(4), the proportion of the visa numbers made available under each of paragraphs (1) through (4) of section 203(a) is equal to the ratio of the total number of visas made available under the respective paragraph to the total number of visas made available under section 203(a), and

(3) 3/ except as provided in subsection (a)(5), the proportion of the visa numbers made available under each of paragraphs (1) through (5) of section 203(b) is equal to the ratio of the total number of visas made available under the respective paragraph to the total number of visas made available under section 203(b).

Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as limiting the number of visas that may be issued to natives of a foreign state or dependent area under section 203(a) or 203(b) if there is insufficient demand for visas for such natives under section 203(b) or 203(a), respectively, or as limiting the number of visas that may be issued under section 203(a)(2)(A) pursuant to subsection (a)(4)(A).

Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as limiting the number of visas that may be issued to natives of a foreign state or dependent area under section 203(a) or 203(b) if there is insufficient demand for visas for such natives under section 203(b) or 203(a), respectively, or as limiting the number of visas that may be issued under section 203(a)(2)(A) pursuant to subsection (a)(4)(A).

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:LxkYToA-zXsJ:foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09FAM/0942012N.PDF+22+C.F.R.+%C2%A7+42.12(d)&hl=en

9 FAM 42.12 N2.1 General Rule of Chargeability
(TL:VISA-513; 01-23-2003)
The numerical limitations prescribed in INA 201, 202, and 203 apply to
the foreign states and dependent areas. [See 9 FAM 42.12 Exhibits I and
II.] An immigrant visa applicant subject to these numerical limitations is
generally chargeable to the numerical limitation applicable to the applicant’s
place of birth. An

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...pa2005h.pdf+INA+and+cross+chargeability&hl=en

Country of chargeability
A person is subject to the quota of his or her country of birth, regardless of his or her
citizenship. There are four exceptions to this rule, which allow a person to “cross-charge” to
the quota of a different country. This is known as “alternate chargeability”:
A child accompanying or following to join a parent or parents may be charged to the
parent’s country of chargeability, if otherwise the child would be separated from the
accompanying parent or parents (but it does not work in the other direction, i.e., a
parent cannot derive alternate chargeability from a child).
A person accompanying or following to join a spouse may be charged to the
spouse’s country of chargeability, if

Hi
A quick question. My husband is from India and I am from a non-retro country. We filed I140/I485 concurrently in Eb2 few days back. Did not do cross chargability. Is it possible for us to ask to amend the 485 to cross charge? Id possible then can we do it ourselves or should we go thru the same lawyer?
Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
cksrp