Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Thank you

Thank you very much.

I received a document checklist a few days after the fingerprinting appointment. I have not received my interview letter yet.

Not all applicants receive the document checklist. It depends on the particulars of your case.

gc-syndrome can you tell me, which on line application you used for passport to print from your computer? can you post the link of application please.

I too did not use the post office form. I submitted the online form with the bar code. I guess I'm just unlucky.

Sounds to me like it is time for you to contact your congressional representative and both the U.S. senators for Illinois. Now that you are a U.S. citizen and are dealing with the State Department rather than USCIS, the conressional representatives should be more willing to get involved. I also think they have more of an influence in passport cases compared to immigration processing cases.

No oath letter yet - interview was on 3/10/2009

We had our interview on 3/10/2009 and the officer recommended for approval. Since we are not from Chicago area (we are from Northern Indiana), she said she will mail Oath letters for Oath Ceremony tobe held in April in our area. Its been more than 3 weeks and no oath letter yet. I wounder if I'll receive the oath letter beofre the oath (which I think is usually on second Friday of every month here).

Updating timeline

D/O: Chicago, IL

03/20/09: N-400 App delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
03/20/09: N-400 Received By Lockbox
3/20/09: Priority Date
3/26/09: Notice Date
03/27/09: Check Cashed
3/30/09: NOA Received ( I-797C)
TBD: Fingerprint Appointment Notice Date
TBD: Fingerprint Letter Received
TBD: Fingerprint Appointment Date
TBD: Interview Letter Received
TBD: Interview Date
TBD: Oath Letter Received
TBD: Oath Date

IL For Wife, not self

See IL details in signature. Is this common? Wife gets IL notice, but not self? Also, Wife's case status says status not found, but mine still says recieved notice, etc.

Interview Letters received

Also posted in the Q1 thread

Just received Interview Letters (self and wife)!!!! :):):)

Interviews are at Chicago on 27th May at 9.25am and 9.45am.

No change in the online status which still shows "application received".

I became a citizen this morning. The ceremony was very short ~15min. It took around 1 hour to get everyone checked in and seated. I was amazed by the number of new citizens that weren't able to understand or follow simple instructions in English.
Good luck everyone and thanks for all the help.

Finished My Interview

I finished my interview today.

Scheduled at 8.35 a.m but I was called at about 9.40 a.m. Total of 15 minutes. I was asked only my Drivers License, PPT and Green card. Very simple Civics/English written/Spoken tests. After going thru the whole file for couple of minutes, she stamped in Red "APPROVED" and gave me the interview results sheet and asked me if I can take the oath on April 28th. I said yes and she told me to wait outside and I will be called to get the oath letter. That is a pleasant surprise, I don't have to again keep looking for mail for the oath letter.

ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION: After going through the whole application, officer just asked me to print my whole name 3 times, but didn't asked me to sign. But asked me to sign the 2 photos. I specifically asked should I sign the application at least in one of the 3 places where it said signature of the application, still officer said no. Is it normal

Very convenient parking next to the INS building.

I was handed the oath letter for April 28th after a wait of about 30 minutes by the front reception.

Need the forums advice on what else I can do on the oath day. My Oath is on Dearborn St. Fed building.

1. Can I apply for the passport on the same day after Oath ceremony?
2. What documents do I need to apply for the passport?
3. Will I get the naturalization certificate after the oath?
4. Is there a post office next to INS or on Dearborn st.?
5. I heard we can complete and print a passport application online before the Oath and after the Oath you can apply in the post office on the same day. What info do I need to fill in the passport application, is A # enough? or should i have wait until the oath is done to apply for the passport.

This Forum has been a great source of preparation for this interview. You don't need a attorney if your case is simple to get the N400 approved.

I will periodically check this site and will be happy to give my suggestions. I hope all others do the same, don't neglect this site after your Oath.

Hang on there all others who are waiting patiently..........it will come to an succesful end one day

I will further update my Oath ceremony experience.

CHEERS

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished my interview today.

5. I heard we can complete and print a passport application online before the Oath and after the Oath you can apply in the post office on the same day. What info do I need to fill in the passport application, is A # enough? or should i have wait until the oath is done to apply for the passport.

Congrats!

Answer: Yes

Form DS-11 from here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html
Naturalization certificate (original) - I would advise you to make a copy for yourself first.
Drivers license
Fees
2 passport photographs (any Walgreens, Fedex Kinkos etc)

Yes

Seems to be one on 358 W Harrison St. and another on 211 S Clark St

The online feature is just to print out a filled out form - it does not submit the application to anyone, and after you are done, the information is discarded. So you could have the completed form ready, and could submit it as soon as you get the Naturalization certificate. I would strongly advise you to take a scanned copy or the certificate first for your own safekeeping.

Thanks Prithis

ONE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION:

After going through the whole application, officer just asked me to print my whole name 3 times for questions 13 & 14 (Signature at Interview & Oath of Allegiance), but didn't asked me to sign. But asked me to sign the 2 photos. I specifically asked should I sign the application at least once on oneof the 3 places where it said signature of the application, still officer said NO, just print the whole name. Is it normal

It says Complete Signature of the Applicant - Probably does that mean printing the whole name?

ONE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION:

After going through the whole application, officer just asked me to print my whole name 3 times, but didn't asked me to sign. But asked me to sign the 2 photos. I specifically asked should I sign the application at least once on oneof the 3 places where it said signature of the application, still officer said NO, just print the whole name. Is it normal

That one I do not know the answer to. I will wait for others to comment.

Updating time line

D/O: Chicago, IL

03/20/09: N-400 App delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
03/20/09: N-400 Received By Lockbox
3/20/09: Priority Date
3/26/09: Notice Date
03/27/09: Check Cashed
3/30/09: NOA Received ( I-797C)
4/3/09: Fingerprint Appointment Notice Date
4/10/09: Fingerprint Letter Received
4/18/09: Fingerprint Appointment Date
TBD: Interview Letter Received
TBD: Interview Date
TBD: Oath Letter Received
TBD: Oath Date

Any recent experiences?

Anyone with any recent experiences?

I am still waiting for an oath letter after a March 26 interview. The local U.S. representative's office told me that the next oath ceremonies on my town (in central Illinois) are on May 14 and May 15 and that if I do get scheduled for one of those, an oath letter should come in the first 10 days of May. I really hope that this will happen since I have to travel to Europe in June and the next oath ceremony here after the May ones are in mid-August.

Hi everyone,

I had my appointment today. I was schedule at 8:45am and I arrived at 8:20am. I presented my interview letter with the receptionist at the 3rd floor an she kindly directed me to the seating area # 2. Five minutes later, I was promptly called by the Adjudications Officer who asked for my interview letter and directed me to her office.
She was very nice right from the beginning, I was very nervous but she really made me feel at ease. She asked me for my passport, GC & Driver License and directed me to swear that I was going to tell anything but the true. She then proceeded to ask me the US History test:

1. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
2. Name one branch or part of the government.
3. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
4. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
5. What does the President’s Cabinet do?
6. How many justices are on the Supreme Court?

She also made me write: "Columbus day is in October" and to read another phrase that I don't quite remember now. She then proceeded to review the application....my current address, my marital status and so on. I was so worried about providing information that I didn't have about some previous trips that I even requested FOIA documents from US Customs, but she didn't ask for any of it. I told her I have a recent trip, she asked how long I was gone? - I said 2 weeks - she continued reviewing the application without making any annotations, she asked if apart from the driving citations that I had if I have been arrested or cited for anything else - I said no - she moved on with the application until the yes/no questions. She asked me if I was willing to give up my current nationality and I said: YES. She congratulated me and said I was approved and that she wa recommending me for citizenship. Make me signed with my full name the application and the photographs, asked me if I was okay if she scheduled me for the oath on April 28th and of course I said YES! :D:D:DShe gave the N-652 and told me to wait for about 30 minutes for my oath letter n the reception area. After 40 minutes or or so I was provided with the N-445 - Notice for Naturalization Oath Ceremony at the Dirksen Federal Building in Chicago at 12:00 pm.

The officer came calling my name while I was waiting for my Oath letter to give me my eye glasses that I have forgot back at her office. I have to say this is a new USCIS!! Everyone was very nice and cordial, even the offices were so nice looking (I think at least this offices looked very new). I made a point to tell the officer that I was really surprised and impressed of how short the application process was. My whole interview barely took 15 minutes. The officer told me she appreciate how organized my application was and that she liked when applicants made things easier for her - I actually took a suggestion from someone in this forum and made a cover letter with all the documentation when I send the application. The interview was a breeze and it's so funny that I was so nervous for nothing. I also had a ton of paperwork with me - just in case - but it wasn't needed at all.

To all of you that are still waiting, please have faith and be positive. Do not aggravate yourself thinking the worse possible scenario. Be prepared with your documents or any paperwork you may need to support your case. I really thank everybody here, these forum is a huge help for all of us. You guys are the best!!!

01/05/2009: N-400 Received
01/05/2009: Priority Date
01/09/2009: Check Cashed
01/12/2009: NOA Received
01/20/2009: FP Letter Received
01/29/2009: FP Appointment
01/29/2009: FP Completed
02/14/2009: Interview Letter
04/22/2009: Interview Date (Approved) :D
04/22/2009: Oath Letter
04/28/2009: Oath Date
xx/xx/2009 : US PASSPORT

Willing to give up current nationality?

I am surprised by this question from her regarding desire to give up current nationality. Is this question (a) usual and (b) legal?

Thank you.

mundowise said:
She asked me if I was willing to give up my current nationality and I said: YES.

Asking if you are willing to give up your current nationality is a legitimate question to determine if you have any reservations about reciting the oath of allegiance. If you answer no, it can be seen as a refusal to take the oath truthfully.
During my interview, the IO told me if I realized that I would have to give up my current citizenship. I told the IO yes, knowing exactly where he was going with the question. Needless to say, I'm a dual citizen today.