Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Well, I just got back. I'm proud to say that I became a US Citizen today. The ceremony was nice, dignified and short. It lasted from about 9:00AM 'til about 9:25AM or so. My judge was Robert Gettleman, a nice and funny judge. There were 147 people from 44 different countries. I immediately went and applied for a passport at my local post office and am now back home, enjoying it and resting (I slept at 2:00AM and woke up at 6:00AM this morning).

To everyone still waiting; hang in there, it will soon be over for you. To everyone who provided invaluable information and help; thank you and bless your heart. :)

Had my interview for 8:45am... Got there early (parked at lot near intersection of Polk and Clarke) and was called by 8:30am... It all got over in 15mins... The IO told me to wait outside, and I would get my oath letter (which took slightly more than an hour).

My case was slightly different in that for the first 7 months of my green card, I was out of the country, completing the remaining year of my undergraduate engineering program. I applied for naturalization as soon as the sum total of 5 years got over. So, I was unsure if the first 7 months would count or not. I had written a letter with my application, explaining why I believed it counted, and that I always had the intention of returning to the US. Still, I went to the interview, knowing fully well, that I may be rejected. (I even got a reply on this board that my case would not be accepted).

Surprisingly, the IO did not even question me about the 7 month absence. He had the letter I had written, looked it over, but didnt ask me anything about it (which I was thrilled about).

My 6 questions were:
1) How many years do we elect a Senator?
2) How many justices are in the Supreme Court?
3) When is Independance Day?
4) Name one branch of the goverment?
5) What does the presidents cabinet do?
6) Who takes over, if the president and vice president are unable?

Apart from green card, no documents were asked for... Not even passport, or SSS proof.

When I was asked about the traffic violations question, I mentioned that I had not written my 3 speeding offenses on the application, as they were less than $500. I told him I had brought a signed document, stating the 3 violation details. He didnt want to see it.

Great, thanks for sharing your experience!

Well, I just got back. I'm proud to say that I became a US Citizen today. The ceremony was nice, dignified and short. It lasted from about 9:00AM 'til about 9:25AM or so. My judge was Robert Gettleman, a nice and funny judge. There were 147 people from 44 different countries. I immediately went and applied for a passport at my local post office and am now back home, enjoying it and resting (I slept at 2:00AM and woke up at 6:00AM this morning).

To everyone still waiting; hang in there, it will soon be over for you. To everyone who provided invaluable information and help; thank you and bless your heart. :)

Congratulations on becoming a U.S. citizen and thanks a lot for sharing your experience here!

Interview experience

This is great forum from which I have got lot of valuable information. Thanks. As return, I would post my interview experience for your reference.

My wife and I submitted N-400 based on 5-year GC on Oct. 2008. About a month later, we received FP notice which was scheduled on the middle of Nov. We did FP on suggested date. On Jan. 2, 2009 both of us got interview notice scheduled on Mar. 4, 2009 which was yesterday. The immigration building is located at 101 Congress Parkway (I have never thought this grayish building that I have passed by countlessly is the place to decide every immigrant’s future).
We arrived at the building at 9:20AM as our appointments were at 10:00AM. After passed security, we approached to the third floor. We saw about 200 people in the lobby. At the check counter, we delivered our interview letters. I was given a little green card on which there were two A numbers for my wife and me. The lady told me to hand this card to officer who is going to interview me so that the officer can put my wife and me in the same Oath ceremony. This was so nice.
We were assigned to the Area to wait for our turns. There are two waiting Areas in the lobby. Around 9:30AM, my wife was called. We were so surprised because it was ahead of the schedule. A officer walked my wife to the office. 15min later, my wife came out with N-654 showing passed tests and congratulations. She was told to wait for oath letter in the lobby. She said the office was very nice and asked her not to be nerves. She was tested six questions of civic and history; read a sentence and write a sentence” The Columbus day is in October”; Then the officer went through all items on N-400.
I was not so lucky because I was called almost one hour behind the schedule. The officer who interviewed me was a lady. After swearing to tell the truth, I was asked to show passport, green card and driver’s license. The officer checked the front page of my passport and asked me if I have a copy of it (Interview letter never asks copy of passport, but based on this forum, I took one with me just in case). I handed the copy of passport over, she wrote something on it and then punched two holes and put it in my files. Then the test started. I was asked following six questions:

1) How many years do we elect a Senator?
2) How many justices are in the Supreme Court?
3) When is Independence Day?
4) Name one branch of the government?
5) What does the president’s cabinet do?
6) Who takes over, if the president and vice president are unable?

Reading and writing sentences were quite simple.

Afterwards, she went through all questions on the Form. When asked if arrested or cited…I told her that I had speeding tickets because I disclosed them in the Form. She did not say anything then moved on to next question.
After that, she wrote something on the front page of the Form and then sealed a red stamp. The red word on the stamp was so big that I could see it couple of feet far---“Approved”.
Another hour later, both my wife and I were called to take Oath Letters -----just one step away to become US citizen.

For the friends who provided information here, I thank you very much from the bottom of my heart.
For the friends who are still waiting, your day will be coming soon.

Well, I just got back. I'm proud to say that I became a US Citizen today. :)

Congratulations Mr Vertigo, we are all happy for you!

01/05/2009: N-400 Received
01/05/2009: Priority Date
01/09/2009: Check Cashed
01/12/2009: NOA Received
01/20/2009: FP Letter Received
01/29/2009: FP Appointment
01/29/2009: FP Completed
02/14/2009: Interview Letter
04/22/2009: Interview Date
xx/xx/xxxx: Oath Letter
xx/xx/xxxx: Oath Date

can someone please tell me that will it take more time to make the decision for uscis specially in chcago office if i have requested a name change if yes then help me what should i do to withdraw that request of name change cause i wrote in my application to change my last name i have read in other threads that it can take upto three months or more to get the oath letter by theway i have an interview next month

Status Updated.

Received passport in 1 week from application, without the naturalization certificate.

Called the help line and they said I should expect the naturalization certificate within 2 weeks.

Now have to apply for Indian visitors visa, and while in India, have to apply for OCI. Does anyone know which forum contains information on applying for OCI from within India ?

Chicago interview experience

PD: 9/18/08
FP: 10/14/08
IL:1/30/09
ID:3/24/09
5 yrs GC

spent about 15 minutes at parking agarage next to interview building to get car parked, $19 for a day, the garage is one block south of Congress on Clark st at your right.

checked in at 3rd floor at 101 W Congress PKWY about 9:40am for 10:45am appointment. They were running late, when I got called, It was about 12:30. It just took less than 15 minutes total in interview officer office to answer all questions. She didn't ask any other documents other than driver's license, passport, green card. She printed out the test pages from computer, the questions were:

The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?
In what month do we vote for President?
Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?
Who is "The Father of Our Country"?
Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900s.

to read: WHY do people come to America?
to write: People come to be free.

Waited another 15 minutes to get oath letter. It was long wait there, but I was happy to have it done.

One side note, some people did have cell phone with them in the waiting area, one guy even made a call before a officer stopped him.

good luck!:):):)

Congrats!

Two questions -

Did you take Tax transcripts with you. If yes, how many years.
Can we take kids to the inrterview? Is there any restriction that we cannot.

Here is my interview experience:

My appointment was at 9:05. We took the Metra from the suburbs and walked to 101 Congress Pkwy (.75 miles). I was called in at 9:25 and the interview lasted for about 15-20 minutes.
The IO was friendly/funny which made the process very relaxing. The IO started with the test and stopped after I got the first 6 questions right. Then I was asked to read a simple sentce and write "The President lives in the White House". After passing the test the IO asked for my passport, green card and drivers license and started reviewing the application.The IO also asked whether I was still married to the same person and reviewed all the tax docs and joint bills I had submitted with the application. The IO couldn't find a copy of my birth certificate in my AOS case and asked to see my birth certificate.

I didn't report my traffic tickets so I asked the IO whether I should have reported them in the application. The officer said that is not necessary, but when people do report them and they have recent tickets < 3 months she is obligated to ask for proof of payment.The IO had only been doing this for 6 months and was able to approve my application on the spot.After that I just waited for the receptionist to give me the oath letter which took another 15 minutes.
I am looking forward to the oath in 2 weeks. Thanks to everyone for your support and advice.

Congrats!

Two questions -

Did you take Tax transcripts with you. If yes, how many years.
Can we take kids to the inrterview? Is there any restriction that we cannot.

I took 3 years tax transcript, emplyment letter, birth certificate, etc. One lady next to me got a decision cannot be made result because she didn't have her tax transcript or tax return copies with her. So bring everything you can think of to the interview, over kill is better than sorry.

I saw a few small kids in the waiting area, so kids and family members should be ok. There isn't any public notice for any restrictions in the building.

interview completed

I had my naturalization interview today in Chicago. The appointment was for 9:25am. I got called at about 9:45am and was out of there by 10am. The interviewing officer first asked me the civics questions and asked to write "The people elect the Congress".

She then went over my N-400. The only item that needed updating was several extra foreign trips that I took since December 2006, when my N-400 was initially filed. She did not ask me for any extra documents (such as tax records etc) and did not check any of the reentry stamps in the passport. Most of the discussion concerned the spelling of my name which is a little different in my green card from what it now is in my Russian passport. She said that I passed the civics and English test and that my application was recommended for approval.

However, since I am not from the Chicago area but from downstate Illinois, she said that I would not get an oath letter right then and there. She said that I will have to be scheduled for the next available naturalization ceremony in my town (which according to her will be in mid-May) and that I should receive an oath letter by mail in 2-3 weeks. I asked her to double-check with the supervisor that I cannot be scheduled for an oath in Chicago and she did double-check it and got the same reply. This stinks a bit since I have to wait another month and a half for an oath ceremony and also because USCIS still has the opportunity to screw up something with the oath letter. Still, I hope everything will be OK. She gave me the N652 form with the checked box "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At this time it appears that you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony".

There were several other people from my department who had interviews at about the same time. One of them got exactly the same outcome as me and he was told that he will have to wait to get an oath letter for a naturalization oath ceremony in our town.
The other woman was told that "her file was not there", even though the interviewer had her original N-400 application. She was told at the end that "a decision cannot be made at this time" and that the file has to be reviewed by a supervisor and that a decision should be made within about 4 weeks. Sounds fairly weird.

Anyway, in my case it would seem that I am a step closer to naturalization. I have to travel abroad in the end of May and I am rather worried if there will be enough time between the oath and my departure date to get a passport.