Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

The language is there to ensure that just in case you are called for a second/third interview, your lawyer has no room to challenge USCIS.

The 120 day adjudication counter starts from the initial interview (provided the applicant passes English and civics test). It thereby gives the applicant or lawyer a chance to challenge if USCIS doesn't adjudicate the case within the 120 day period.

Totally agree on that one. No connection between the 120 day window and number of interviews an applicant may be called for.

The 120 day adjudication counter starts from the initial interview (provided the applicant passes English and civics test). It thereby gives the applicant or lawyer a chance to challenge if USCIS doesn't adjudicate the case within the 120 day period.

Just updating my timeline....so far the new process appears to be going well.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
01/05/2009: N-400 Received
01/05/2009: Priority Date
01/09/2009: Check Cashed
01/12/2009: NOA Received
01/20/2009: FP Letter Received
01/29/2009: FP Appointment
01/29/2009: FP Completed
02/14/2009: Interview Letter
04/22/2009: Interview Date
xx/xx/xxxx: Oath Letter
xx/xx/xxxx: Oath Date

I guess it's my turn to report the good news.

I had my citizenship interview today at the Congress Parkway in Chicago. It was at 8:15AM, and I was there at 7:40. It was in the third floor, where a bunch of people were waiting for their interview. There was a huge line to submit interview letters and get in queue, but I got called immediately after I got there by a young Hispanic lady. I was led in the room, and asked to raise my right arm and swear to tell the truth, which I did.

Immediately she opened my file and began asking me question from the test. She asked me six question, and after getting them all right, she stopped. She asked me to write a sentence ("We have one hundred senators") and then proceeded to ask me questions from the application. She went through the whole thing, and asked me every single one. When it came to my trips outside the US, she just noted that my last trip was in 2008 for 5 months and then moved on. I had provided her with my passport(s) and copies of them, and she seemed satisfied. After completing all the questions, she asked me if I wanted to take my oath on March 5th. I said Yes and she told me that she needs me to wait for around 30 minutes outside until all is done. I gathered my documents, and after signing the application and photos, was led to the waiting room. I thanked her, and started waiting.

After about 30 minutes or so, my name was called on the intercom, and my oath letter was handed to me. It is on March 5th, 2009 at 8:00 AM at the Dirksen Federal Building on Dearborn. I must say, I was impressed by their punctuality and professionalism. And the entire process took less than 5 months, which is another plus for them. Quite naturally, I am happy to have my oath in a week! :)

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I guess it's my turn to report the good news.

I had my citizenship interview today at the Congress Parkway in Chicago. It was at 8:15AM, and I was there at 7:40. It was in the third floor, where a bunch of people were waiting for their interview. There was a huge line to submit interview letters and get in queue, but I got called immediately after I got there by a young Hispanic lady. I was led in the room, and asked to raise my right arm and swear to tell the truth, which I did.

Immediately she opened my file and began asking me question from the test. She asked me six question, and after getting them all right, she stopped. She asked me to write a sentence ("We have one hundred senators") and then proceeded to ask me questions from the application. She went through the whole thing, and asked me every single one. When it came to my trips outside the US, she just noted that my last trip was in 2008 for 5 months and then moved on. I had provided her with my passport(s) and copies of them, and she seemed satisfied. After completing all the questions, she asked me if I wanted to take my oath on March 5th. I said Yes and she told me that she needs me to wait for around 30 minutes outside until all is done. I gathered my documents, and after signing the application and photos, was led to the waiting room. I thanked her, and started waiting.

After about 30 minutes or so, my name was called on the intercom, and my oath letter was handed to me. It is on March 5th, 2009 at 8:00 AM at the Dirksen Federal Building on Dearborn. I must say, I was impressed by their punctuality and professionalism. And the entire process took less than 5 months, which is another plus for them. Quite naturally, I am happy to have my oath in a week! :)

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience!!

Congrats!!! Will you become a dual citizen or your current citizenship does not allow you to do so?

I already am a dual citizen, and will become a triple citizen. Both of my prior countries allow dual/triple citizenship, so I'm all set. Thanks! :)

baikal3, thank you very much! :)

Don't you dare attempt to take over my handle :)
I didn't know you already hold dual citizenship since your signature does not reveal it. A fellow triple citizen, join the club!!!

It's a peculiar situation actually. I hold citizenship from my former (federal) country, which in the meantime got dissolved, with a legal state successor. I also hold the citizenship of the state that declared independence from the federal state as that is the state I was born in while it was part of the federal state.

And no I won't take your handle :) Thanks for the welcome!

You are either talking about the USSR and its split or Yugoslavia and its split :)
Regardless, have fun at your oath ceremony :)

It's a peculiar situation actually. I hold citizenship from my former (federal) country, which in the meantime got dissolved, with a legal state successor. I also hold the citizenship of the state that declared independence from the federal state as that is the state I was born in while it was part of the federal state.

Mr.Vertigo

Congratulations. Make sure you keep coming back to this forum to advise other bloggers like me who are in the process.

My kids will be in the same "triple" citizenship situation once my process goes through (USA, Canada and India). Though Indian dual citizenship is not true dual citizenship (no seperarate Indian passport is given, though you are a dual citizen). So they could be called "Two and and half citizen".

Anyway, enjoy your first day as a US citizen!!!

mundowise, thank you very much! :)

prithis, I will come back to this place and contribute as it is a great resource. I learned a lot, and it would be bad of me not to repay that debt that I owe to this community. Seeing as your DO is Chicago, I have no doubts that you too will become a citizen very soon. :)