Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Chirl, What documents have you been asked to bring to your interview. Please let me know. Thanks, bapa

Folks, Does everyone get a

Document Checklist dated (yellow letter)

I am yet to get this letter. I have an interview letter for a 11/6 interview, highlighting documents to bring to the interview.

Thanks,
Bapa

Birth Certificate
Driver's License/State ID
US born (both mine) Children's Birth Certificates

It states "since each case is unique, you may be required to produce additional documnets at the time of your interview"

Goodluck Chirl

Chirl, Good luck with your interview. Eager to find out how it went. Are you taking your kids along for the interview.

Thanks,
Bapa

Here is my timeline N400 Nebraska/Chicago

USCIS Received Application : May 30th 2008
Receipt Letter : June 10th 2008
Fingerprint Notification : June 17th 2008
Date of Fingerprint : June 24th 2008
Interview Letter : July 8th 2008
Date of Interview : September 3rd 2008
Inivitation for Oath : September 12th 2008
Oath Ceremony : September 22nd 2008
Applied for passport : 10/4/2008 (Normal mailing)
Received passport : 10/10/2008
Went to early voting : 10/13/2008

Bapa - I'm leaving the kids with their regular sitter. I work less than a mile form the interview office. Kind of nervous now, but can't wait too! In two days it'll be done!

Chirl, You will do well. Good luck. Will be looking for your post.

We are thinking of taking our kids with us. We might have to train them to behave when my wife and I are having our interviews. I am planning on asking for a very early oath.

Let us see how it pans out. Anywho, break a leg or two man. Get it done with. God speed.

Best,
Bapa

Hi Guys!

I had my interview on Oct. 2, and got N-652 with the box checked saying I passed my civics and english test, but below said 'Decisino can not be made at this time'. IO told me he will write me back with the decision in few weeks, its been almost three weeks and still waiting.....

I want to check the status but don't know the number. Anyone know Chicago Office's phone number?

Thx.

Hi Guys!

I had my interview on Oct. 2, and got N-652 with the box checked saying I passed my civics and english test, but below said 'Decisino can not be made at this time'. IO told me he will write me back with the decision in few weeks, its been almost three weeks and still waiting.....

I want to check the status but don't know the number. Anyone know Chicago Office's phone number?

Thx.
USCIS has up to 120 days after interview to give you an answer. Give it at least 30-60 days after interview before you first inquire via Infopass.

Re: Eligibility

Hi guys:

I realize no one out here is a lawyer, however, I was hoping to get your opinion on this.

I got my green card on August 28th 2003. However, I left the US, and went back to India for 9 months (to complete my undergrad degree), and came back on June 16th 2004.

Based on the below rule, I was wondering if I could go ahead and apply for citizenship?

"If you return within 2 years, some of your time out of the country does count. In fact, the last 364 days of your time out of the country (1 year minus 1 day) counts toward meeting your continuous residence requirement."

I was hoping those 9 months out of the country do count.

Again, I realize this is just your views, and I still may need to consult a lawyer. I was just wondering if anyone had a clearer picture on this.

Thank you.

Update: Today I received both my NOA (dated Oct. 14th) and my FP appointment in the mail for 11/07/08. In the NOA it says that my case has been transferred to National Benefits Center... what does that mean? Is that the local USCIS office? I'm in Chicago.

Thanks

I have another question: does USCIS still allow walk-ins to capture my fingerprints? I have my date set for 11/07, but would like to do it tomorrow ideally so that my case can move faster. Is it possible?

I doubt it

I doubt they will let you walk in earlier. The entire point of giving you a date is because they have a backlog of people ahead of you. Just my 2 cents:)

I have another question: does USCIS still allow walk-ins to capture my fingerprints? I have my date set for 11/07, but would like to do it tomorrow ideally so that my case can move faster. Is it possible?

Your ASC may allow walk ins, but don't convince yourself that by going a few days early for your FP it will speed up processing of your case.

Hi there guys,

I'm new to this forum, I have been reading a lot and I find it very helpful, it is a really good thing to have a support system of this kind and for that I say Thank You.

I have a question:

I applyed for Naturalization last month, already have my fingerprint notice for next friday, after that I asume that I have my interview letter etc... here's my story:

I married in february 2001, that's how I got MY GC, we separated 5 years after that and ended up in divorce in June 2006. do you think that I will have a problem with the inmegration's officer? have any of you divorced from their sponsoring spouse?

For those of you who have been already to the interview process, what kind of questions do they ask other than the ones in the form?

Thanks Much,

Chicago-Guy.

Update, sort of

I submitted my N-400 on Dec 6, 2006 and had been stuck in the FBI Name check since then. I did get second fingerprinting done on Sept 26, 2008, but still no interview letter.

My most recent inquiry a few days ago through Sen. Durbin's office produced a new answer: supposedly my FBI Name Check had been cleared on Aug 21, 2008 and I had been "placed in a queue" for an interview at the Chicago district office. Don't know whether to believe it since I have not heard anything from the USCIS directly and since I had extremely bad luck with the Chicago office before, at my green card stage (after my I-485 was approved and I got an I-551 passport stamp, which was required back then, they managed to lose my documents and it was another 2 years before an actual physical green card was printed).

Today I got a response from Gerard Heinauer, the Director of the Nebraska Service Center, in response to a letter I sent him at the end of September. Heinauer's letter was dated Oct 30, 2008. The response is fairly priceless, so I'll quote it verbatim, including the incorrect grammar:

"The FBI name checks have just cleared on this pending case and are now waiting to be scheduled the next available interview with the local field office in Chicago IL. Currently, due to the volume of pending cases at that office, please allow at least another 4-6 months to receive an appointment notification of a scheduled interview date".

I can't believe these people! "Just cleared"? "4-6 months"? The bloody incompetent liars. I am thinking of suing them just for being such bold-faced liars.