Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

I received the IL today.

Application Sent - 04/03/08
Notice Date - 04/07/08
FP date- 05/01/08
IL - 06/05/08
ID - 07/25/08

Both me and my wife completed the interview successfully in chicago. We had the civics test, reading and writing an english sentence, going over the N400 application and signing a bunch of documents and printing names on our photographs. The IO's were nice to talk to.

The IO's told us to expect Oath letter in the next 90 days.

7/21/08- got oath at 9 am
7/21/08- 3 pm --applied for usa passports for all 3 members inclusing kid by REGULAR PROCESSING.
7/30/08- recieved all 3 passports by priority mail
7/31/08- APPLIED kids PIO and our visas.

pl see my post in life after citizenship with great info about passport processing and INdian visa ........C u folks.......Sri-il
7/21/08- Applied REGULAR passport processinging in USPS for me & spouse & kid
7/30/08- received passports for all 3 .
7/31/08- Applied for kids PIO & our visas

Last edited by a moderator:
Both me and my wife completed the interview successfully in chicago. We had the civics test, reading and writing an english sentence, going over the N400 application and signing a bunch of documents and printing names on our photographs. The IO's were nice to talk to.

As indicated above, me and my wife cleared our interview on July 25th. Recently I received a notice from IRS that I had to pay $10 on my personal taxes for 2006 (after some recalculation). The check has been sent to IRS today.

Will this pending due to IRS delay my oath? After the N400 is approved, do they go for any other verification before sending out the oath letter?

As indicated above, me and my wife cleared our interview on July 25th. Recently I received a notice from IRS that I had to pay $10 on my personal taxes for 2006 (after some recalculation). The check has been sent to IRS today.

Will this pending due to IRS delay my oath? After the N400 is approved, do they go for any other verification before sending out the oath letter?

After N-400 approval, they don't do another check to see if you owe taxes. I wouldn't worry about it as you have taken care of it. It would be more an issue if you had an outstanding IRS debt that you didn't mention to begin with.

Any of you guys/gals applied late May '08?

While fingerprint appointment was at 3 weeks after we sent the application, there is no IL yet, and (scary) validation error when checking the application on USCIS's website.

Any of you guys/gals applied late May '08?

While fingerprint appointment was at 3 weeks after we sent the application, there is no IL yet, and (scary) validation error when checking the application on USCIS's website.

when you enter your receipt number and you were able to see status but now you get an error it usually means you are going to get IL soon.

I know that's the general perception, more or less proven by applicants. We never thought of checking the application prior to the fingerprint date, and we were told it was "OK", meaning fingerprints received and all that when we couldn't check the status about a week after FP. Looking at other's timeline and comparing, we're 68 days into it, 49 days since fingerprint, so unless we're lost in the name check black hole, we should receive the IL soon, right?

I finally got my interview letter. August 21st!!!
Mine is 10:25 in the morning at 101 west congress parkway. I live quite far from Chicago downtown about 200 miles away south and don't know how bad traffic is in the morning around town. I need to take 57 HW then 90/94.
What time is the worst time that I should avoid on Dan Ryan EXPW?
Also where should I park my car?

I finalley got my interview letter. August 21st!!!
Mine is 10:25 in the morning at 101 west congress parkway. I live quite far from Chicago downtown about 200 miles away south and don't know how bad traffic is in the morning around town. I need to take 57 HW then 90/94.
What time is the worst time that I should avoid on Dan Ryan EXPW?
Also where should I park my car?

Congratulations on the interview letter. Since you live that far south- I would recommend driving in the night before and staying near downtown overnight. Even with your interview time at 10:25 am, you still have 200 miles to cover. Just my recommendation. As for parking- there is a parking garage right behind the building- I think they charge $16.00 or you could drive around and find other garages- there are quite a few around there.

Good luck

Quick post about my parents interview today. Both receive N-652 with "Pass and Congratulations..." and had to wait about 2 hours in the waiting area for their Oath Letters. The IO`s hand them the Oath Letters on the very same day - few hours after the interview - is it a normal practise? I mean - I had to wait for my Oath letter 8 Days and receieved over the mail (I am not complaining at all) - my case was kind of different but still I am wonder...

Congratulations on the interview letter. Since you live that far south- I would recommend driving in the night before and staying near downtown overnight. Even with your interview time at 10:25 am, you still have 200 miles to cover. Just my recommendation. As for parking- there is a parking garage right behind the building- I think they charge $16.00 or you could drive around and find other garages- there are quite a few around there.

Good luck

I second this. Around Chicago, in/out/within the city is very difficult starting at about 6:30AM. Better be here the evening before (isn’t the long wait worth the hotel bill?), take a room somewhere downtown, for just one night, arange with them for late checkout, have your car parked by the hotel's valet or in the hotel' parking, or somewhere close (parking the car in the hotel’s parking is maybe $2-$3 more than finding yourself a parking spot) and walk around.

Good luck with the interview!

We received our oath letters yesterday. It took exactly two weeks after the interview to receive the oath letter. Oath scheduled for August 18th. Here is my timeline.

Application Sent - 04/03/08
Notice Date - 04/07/08
FP date- 05/01/08
IL - 06/05/08
ID - 07/25/08
OL - 08/08/08
OD : 08/18/08

Chicago office timeline for Oath letter

My mother passed the citizenship exam on (07-31-2008), the immigration officer told her she will receive her oath letter within 4-6 weeks.
Anybody experience with Chicago District office timeline for Oath letter after citizenship interview.
Thanks

Anyone have idea - why my parents receive their Oath Letters immediately after the interview? All of the people with interview on 5-th of August was scheduled for Oath Ceremony in the same building after few days - on 8-th of August. My interview was two weeks before that date and I wait for my Oath letter 8 day and have it over the mail. Isn`t that strange - hmmmmm anithing to do with 08.08.2008 :) Olimpian games :) At the same time friends family had their interview on 08 August - but I coudn`t see too much people in the waiting areas. Well wish you all luck - I can`t waith for my Oath Ceremony :)

Chicago DO gives out oath letters on the spot these days, within 30 minutes after your interview. I did my interview this week and waited another 20 minutes to get my oath letter.

With flying colors

Had my interview yesterday... People, I can hardly believe this is the same CIS we discuss on this board! Everybody and everything is so nice, friendly, professional, polite, respectable, appropriate, fitting, convenient, pleasing. :) :) Maybe, Chicago office is unique in a way,- higher standards, more experienced staff, or something. Or I'm lucky. Anyway, I'm very impressed.

They do natz interviews on the third floor - pretty big waiting area, and lots of IOs work at our applications there. Well organized. IO stressed and apologized about long name check delay. I did my best to get any hint what the concern was - but nothing! We just went over the application. I brought updated page 4 with my recent trips abroad, he added it as an extra page. Six easiest questions, such as how many stars on the flag and who is the President! I was about to request him to ask me about 13 original states and voting rights amendments, but decided to keep it simple ;).

IO explicitly mentioned that I was approved and that they were looking for volunteers to take the oath next week! Needless to say, you know what my answer was!

He also said that they were now interviewing many people who waited for 2 years. (I actually talked to one of them in the lobby - he applied 2 years ago. Never wrote any letters to anybody.) These IVs take longer, IO said. People have tons of changes in their lives in those years, and everything needs to be updated in the application. Some lose eligibility - taking jobs abroad, even job as a pilot, is disqualification.

I was done in 20 minutes or so. They printed out OL for me and another person in just couple minutes! Very pleasant experience.

Congratulations Cybex!! "Volunteers" needed for oath? Is that the oath on the edge of the John Hancock building roof?:D

I started a new post for Chicago timelines. My apoligies. Just in case people didn't view it or reply because of that, here it is:

"I applied for my citizenship on 08/01/08. I recevied an acknowledgement dated 08/04/08, and am having my fingerprints taken 08/28/08.

On the website it suggests the wait from application to interview is 13-15 months. A friend of mine applied in May 08, and waas sworn in last week. He is the spouse of a US citizen. Does that affect the length of wait? A friend of his had a "short wait" according to him. He is not married to a citizen.

Anyone eslse applied through Nebraska for Chicago recently and have/had an interview date? How long did you wait?"

I noticed a post yesterday stating that 5.1 months is what Chicago is now, but my friend got it from application to oath in 3.5 months. Just looking for recent experiences

Sorry about your application being denied

First of all I'd like to ask you a couple of question:
1. are those ticket still outstanding?
2. are they related to a DWI?
3. Besides those tickets have you had any trouble with the law?
4. Do you have any outstanding warrant regarding those tickets ?