Received notice fron NSC 8/28/2009
Priority Date 8/25/2008
FP Notice 9/10/2008
FP Date 9/16/2008
Interview Letter9/25/2008
Interview Date11/6/2008 Passed
Oath Date 11/19/2008

My interview experience

Folks, Here is our experience. My wife and I passed our Naturalization interview and got our oath letter same day for Nov 19 th 2008.

Chicago DO office is on 101 Congress Parkway. There is cheap parking on intersection of Clark and Polk St. $14 for all day. Can come and go out any time. We got there at 12:40 for a 1:15 interview. Parked our car. Went through security. We had our kids with us.

On the third floor we were asked to present our interview letter. Lady took the letter and checked her computer and asked us to sit in Area 2. At around 1:10 my wife was called for her interview. I was called at 1:20. The interviewing officer was super nice. Apologized for the delay and inconvenience.

As we stepped into her office she asked for my interview letter, GC and Drivers license. Then she asked me to stand up and raise my right hand and take oath.

She asked if I was ready for my test. Gave me six questions. It was all easy and all a blur. She stopped after six questions. She then went through my application.
Some of the questions.
1) How many stripes
2) Name of the governor
3) What is the function of Supreme Court?
4) Who is the president?
etc
I was asked to write. The President lives in the white house. Then she went through the form.

There was section of the form I had not filled out. She asked me fill it out and put my date and initials next to all the entries. She asked me about any trips after filing. I had one and gave her the details.

She looked at the CITATION section. Went through it and said it was all traffic without DUI or Alcohol she confirmed that with me and said we all have few of those. NO RECORDS ASKED. I asked her about the reporting policy. She stated that we should put down all citations. And as per instructions disposition of arrest should be only be obtained when traffic violation is for DUI or Drug related or over $500 fine. Then she gave my N652. With a X mark next that I was approved for naturalization. :)

Post interview she asked me about Nov 19-oath availability and said she will give my oath letter in the next 30 minutes. All in all I was out in less then 8 minutes.

She walked me out, I shook her hands and that was it. 30 minutes later the receptionist called my name and gave me my oath letter. :D

Update - completed biometrics. The office on Broadway (Chicago) was almost empty. There was one woman from Russia waiting for hers and another Latino gentleman waiting. I got done in 5 minutes. Was also given the new citizenship booklet with the new test.. kind of nice, it contains explanations for the questions posed and is printed on high-quality paper.

Hopefully my IL won't be too late.

Timeline:

10/11/2008 -- N-400 Sent
10/13/2008 -- N-400 Received
10/15/2008 -- Check Cashed
10/24/2008 -- NOA Received
10/24/2008 -- FP Letter Received
11/07/2008 -- FP Appointment
11/07/2008 -- FP Completed

My timeline

I am applying from chicago based on three year marriage. My application was sent to the Nebraska processing center. Here is my timeline:

09/30/2008: Application Sent
10/02/2008: Application received
10/08/2008: Checked Cashed
10/16/2008: NOA letter received
10/20/2008: FP letter received
11/04/2008:FP appointment - (election day - very fitting):
11/04/2008: FP completed. No issues. In and out within 10 minutes.

Mr. Vertigo, our timelines are very similar. Lets keep each other posted on the developments. Good luck. Also, is there a way to ensure that fingerprints went well and that FBI has cleared my name for USCIS to process further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ymadra

Normally FBI will take less than one day to sent back the results. There is a FBI number you can call and veryify this.

Hope that this helps

Normally FBI will take less than one day to sent back the results. There is a FBI number you can call and veryify this.

Hope that this helps

This is only true for the FBI fingerprint check, when they run your fingerprints against their database and the results are sent back to USCIS immediately.

FBI also has to run the FBI Name Check, which can and often does take much longer (often months and sometimes years, although they are trying hard to reduce the processing times for the FBI Name Check to something more reasonable).

The FBI phone number where one can verify that the fingerprint check results have been sent back to the USCIS is 304-6255-5590. However, they will NOT answer any questions regarding the status of your FBI Name Check there (and the automatic recording even warns about this explicitly). The only way to find out if the FBI Name Check has cleared is by doing an INFOPASS appointment or a service request to USCIS or by inquiring through a congressional representating (a U.S. Representative or a U.S. Senator) for your place of residence. In practice the latter seems to work best.

interview on oct 02, still no re

My case is pending after the interview. My itnerview was on Oct 2, 2008. I didn't get the approved decision. Three weeks later IO wrote me asking for mroe documentation, then week later (November 5) he called me on cell asking more questions, and then he said the decision will be made in coming weeks.

Now more than 2 week later, I'm still waiting for decision or an Oat letter. But all of a sudden when I try to check my status, I get the following messegae:
---
Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:

Your case information is incomplete within Case Status Online. For further assistance, you can either call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283, or you can send an e-mail to uscis.webmaster@dhs.gov.
---

Anyone getting this messege, or anyone has ideas what might be happening with the case?

AERO:

I am in the same boat.. what extra documentation did he as u for? What questions he asked u over the phone?

I just want to get an idea that what on earth could be so important.. which they could not figure out before or during the interview?

My case is pending after the interview. My itnerview was on Oct 2, 2008. I didn't get the approved decision. Three weeks later IO wrote me asking for mroe documentation, then week later (November 5) he called me on cell asking more questions, and then he said the decision will be made in coming weeks.

Now more than 2 week later, I'm still waiting for decision or an Oat letter. But all of a sudden when I try to check my status, I get the following messegae:
---
Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:

Your case information is incomplete within Case Status Online. For further assistance, you can either call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283, or you can send an e-mail to uscis.webmaster@dhs.gov.
---

Anyone getting this messege, or anyone has ideas what might be happening with the case?

Oath Ceremony completed

Here are my details:
06/16/08 : Priority Date.
06/19/08 : Notice Date.
06/24/08 : NOA Received ( I-797C) - Expect 180 days for notification.
06/28/08 : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
07/11/08 : FP Appointment - Complete.
09/13/08 : Interview Letter Received.
10/21/08 : Interview Date.
11/12/08: Friends who attended the interview with me received oath letter in mail. But I didn't get mine. I called the toll free number, the officer told that my file is in queue for oath.
11/17/08: Took infopass to meet the officer who interviewed me.
11/18/08 : I told the officer that my friends got the oath letter but I didn't. The officer asked me to wait for few minutes and then gave me the oath letter.
11/21/08 : Oath Ceremony successfully completed. The officer told me to sign the naturalization certificate same as my signature on the photo.
11/22/08: Passport applied.

I have a question:

I applyed to Nat. based on my 5 years of being a permanent resident; I divorced my wife 2 yrs ago after a 5 1/2 yr marriage, do any of you think that they will ask me questions about my marriage or the divorced on my interview? My understanding is that applying for Nat. based on your 5 yr permanent resident status does not have anything to do with your marriage status to a citizen.

My upcomming interview is on february and my details are as follows:

09/28/08 submited N400
09/30/08 Received
09/30/08 priority date
10/10/08 FP
11/15/08 Interview Letter

That's true; since you're not applying based on marriage (3 years) but based on 5-year residence, they should not ask about your marriage. If they do, just explain the situation in an eloquent and relaxed manner and you should be OK.

AERO:

I am in the same boat.. what extra documentation did he as u for? What questions he asked u over the phone?

I just want to get an idea that what on earth could be so important.. which they could not figure out before or during the interview?

He asked for questions about older Tax filings. He was trying to make sure I was living in US during the tax year 2005.

I've to go on Vacation on Dec 12 for two weeks, and I am wondering if I could be lucky enough to get the Oath before that and apply for the passport too. My fear is that what if my oath letter comes after I'm gone on vacation for the date when I am away. I'm going to miss that.

thx

hi everyone..

Quick Question - How to speak to an IO using USCIS's central 1800 number. Every time I try there is this automated message and good bye. What option do we select to speak to an IO during the call.

Thanks

Choose options 1-2-3. That will get you to a live customer service agent. Tell the agent it's been more than 30 days since you applied and haven't received receipt notice. That will trigger them to transfer your call to an IO.

Choose options 1-2-3. That will get you to a live customer service agent. Tell the agent it's been more than 30 days since you applied and haven't received receipt notice. That will trigger them to transfer your call to an IO.

Thanks, I got to speak to the operator, and he told to wait for couple of more weeks.

That's true; since you're not applying based on marriage (3 years) but based on 5-year residence, they should not ask about your marriage. If they do, just explain the situation in an eloquent and relaxed manner and you should be OK.

Thank you Mr. Vertigo.

I will post my interview experience along with a complete timeline as soon as I get done with it.

He asked for questions about older Tax filings. He was trying to make sure I was living in US during the tax year 2005.

I've to go on Vacation on Dec 12 for two weeks, and I am wondering if I could be lucky enough to get the Oath before that and apply for the passport too. My fear is that what if my oath letter comes after I'm gone on vacation for the date when I am away. I'm going to miss that.

thx

After waiting for almost 8 weeks, I went for INFO-PASS appointment to follow up to see what was going on my case since it had been nearly 55 days since my interview. I had the gut feeling the IO was sleeping over my file/case. That turned out to be true. They lady at the INFO-PASS counter checked my case status and told me that my case was still pending, when I asked her the reason she told me she didn't know. Then I said to her that many people who interviewed after me had already been taken oath.

So my question is whether today's INFO-PASS appointment would be conveyed to the IO dealing my case/file, at least did he know I came for INFO-PASS? I mean does this INFO-PASS get recorded into my file/case?

Anyways, I have made yet another INFO-PASS in two weeks time just as that might help. This is really frustrating wait...

aero_ir