Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Re

I did not list my speeding tickets in N400 or mentioned them at the interview. The officer who interviewed me asked if I was arressted ever, but never asked me about any citations or traffic tickets. I think it depends on who is interviewing you. Based on the trend that i noticed that if you have citations that are not DUI related it is not worth mentioning them in N400. But be prepared if you are asked.

what is a citation? I had a speeding ticket which I had to appear in court for, but the ticket was dismissed and I didnt have to pay anything. I hired an attorney to get the ticket cleared, it was a speeding ticket. Does that count as a citation? I already answered "NO" under the "have you ever been arrested, detained, or cited by a law enforcement officer?" I have my interview coming up soon. I can still have the IO change it, but need to know if it is even worth mentioning. Please help????:(

A citation is notice to appear in court, so your speeding ticket is a citation. In your case it's not worth mentioning it unless the IO specifically asks about it (ie any speeding tickets).

what is a citation? I had a speeding ticket which I had to appear in court for, but the ticket was dismissed and I didnt have to pay anything. I hired an attorney to get the ticket cleared, it was a speeding ticket. Does that count as a citation? I already answered "NO" under the "have you ever been arrested, detained, or cited by a law enforcement officer?" I have my interview coming up soon. I can still have the IO change it, but need to know if it is even worth mentioning. Please help????:(

Speeding tickets come under citation but there is nothing to panic about, if it is just speeding and your ticket was either dimissed by the judge or fine paid. Get a court disposition for the ticket. But you have to report it on the application or mention it during the interview. Lately we are seeing some folks reporting that the IO's are asking why it was not reported. Also, on the oath letter, they specifically ask if you got any traffic violation after the interview. You don't mention it before/during interview and you mention it before oath, it could get you in trouble. You oath might get delayed. The issue is very simple here. Before oath, at some point they are specifically asking for speeding tickets right. Better disclose it during interview and clear the matter. Speeding tickets do not cause denial in citizenship application.

Speeding tickets come under citation but there is nothing to panic about, if it is just speeding and your ticket was either dimissed by the judge or fine paid. Get a court disposition for the ticket. But you have to report it on the application or mention it during the interview. Lately we are seeing some folks reporting that the IO's are asking why it was not reported. Also, on the oath letter, they specifically ask if you got any traffic violation after the interview. You don't mention it before/during interview and you mention it before oath, it could get you in trouble. You oath might get delayed. The issue is very simple here. Before oath, at some point they are specifically asking for speeding tickets right. Better disclose it during interview and clear the matter. Speeding tickets do not cause denial in citizenship application.

I would tell the IO about my speeding tickets if asked. I ended up getting a court disposition for the ticket I went to court for and got dismissed. The clerk told me that I did not need a disposition at all since the ticket was dismissed and that it was specifically not drug related and not DUI related. I still told her to give me the disposition for the one I went to court for, to be on the safe side.

Man, everyone living in the states gets a speeding ticket some point in there life. I would be surprised if my case is haulted due to this event because then this would change the rules for getting citizenship.

re

You should be fine. Looks like no one who got interviewed in Chicago DO complained about speeding tickets. My gut feeling is that Chicao DO is not seeking or searching citation history for citizenship applicants. The only time they will ask is if you mentioned it on your application. I got 3 tickets in 3 years, but did not mention them on the application or was asked by USCIS. Looks like this more prevalant in other offices.

Court disposition for the ticket

Can I get a Court disposition for the minor traffic ticket (turn on red) if I did not go to the court. Just paid fine. I have proof of of payement.

Thanks

court dispostion

Joey
You can get court disposition by calling court house. I got it for free from Lake county but you need to pay $ for other counties. I got them but IO did not care for them . i had mentioned on N400.
I would say don't waste your precious $ in these times of bad economy

You'll be fine without disposition

OCI and US passport

Hello Friends,

I received ID today.ID on December 9,2009.
How much time required for US Passport and OCI/India VISA after Oath.anybody know how quickly i will receive passport and VISA/OCI card for INDIAN born US-citizen.I need to go INDIA ASAP.

thanks for so much your help.

Chicago
You can get your US passport quickly if you apply in expediate mode. If it is really urgent, you should go regional passport office in chicago with a very very valid reason. In that case you can get it in a day or two. I think if you apply in regular mode, it is taking anywhere between 3 to 4 weeks. OCI will take another 3 to 4 months based on what i hear. If it is urgent, take Indian VISA and apply for OCI. If you are not in a rush, then apply everything in regular way.

US passport and INDIA Visa

thank you so much srinikandi,

Hello friends,

I will apply in person for US passport in regional office in chicago.
how many day take for expediate mode or in person?
Can i show my conformation Ticket?
I learn for tranvisa website.I will get indian visa on same day if apply in person.

please advice me and share your experience with US passport and India Visa.

thanks

Chicago
You can get your US passport quickly if you apply in expediate mode. If it is really urgent, you should go regional passport office in chicago with a very very valid reason. In that case you can get it in a day or two. I think if you apply in regular mode, it is taking anywhere between 3 to 4 weeks. OCI will take another 3 to 4 months based on what i hear. If it is urgent, take Indian VISA and apply for OCI. If you are not in a rush, then apply everything in regular way.

Re

Yes you can get Indian VISA the same day if you go there in person. Not sure if they are still allowin that. Heard that you need to go thru some website to get an appointment. But there are allways exceptions if you have valid reason to get it on spot.

Any one know about I-130 petition for wife in New Delhi

Hello friends,

Anyone knows about US-citizen can file I-130 petition for wife in New Delhi. And what is the process? How i will get residential permit?

thanks for your input.

received YL for spouse

Received YL for spouse asking to get Driver's licence for the interview. YL was mailed on 11/12/2009. We have not received any email updates.

Still waiting for my YL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview checklist

Hello Friends,
I have my interview tomorrow in Chicago and as I was preparing all the documents, I remembered reading on this forum that I needed to have passport size photos with me. I had a couple more questions:
- I was wondering if there is a checklist somewhere on this forum that I can use to make sure I have everything with me going into the interview.
- I am married to a US born citizen and I have been told that I cannot take her to the interview with me, is this true? How about my children?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone, passed my test yesterday...
I have a complicated question. I have a valid Pakistani Passport (PP), and soon will have a US Passport. Now when I travel to Pakistan, do I need to get a Pakistani visa? or can I just show my PP at the port of entry in Pakistan.

Then when I'm leaving Pakistan to return to USA, which passport do I show to the immigration officers in Pakistan? If I just show them the US passport, they would question as to how did I enter Pakistan on US Passport without a visa? plus there would be no entry stamp on that passport.

If I show my PP, they won't let me travel to US since I won't have any US Visa or GC.

So question is; can I show both passports at the same time?
Thanks,

You would show pakistani passport when entering and leaving Pakistan, and US passport when leaving and entering US.

They won't let me leave Pakistan with just a PP, they need to know how I would enter USA since Pakistani nationals need US Visa to enter.

They won't let me leave Pakistan with just a PP, they need to know how I would enter USA since Pakistani nationals need US Visa to enter.

Unless dual citizenship is allowed by Pakistan, you are not supposed to use Pakistan passport anymore. Only US passport should be used for travel and you need to get Pakistan visa to enter Pakistan.