Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Re

The officer asked me if I wanted a name change and opted out of it even though i wanted to remove my long middle name. I was more concerned about removal from the perspective that all of my transactions in India have middle name and it is a big deal to change them.

Hello Friends,

I was request for a name change on file N-400. My first name have *******KUMAR So I requested for first name ******* take out KUMAR only and middle and last name same as is. But I learn from people experience that problem and waiting more.Can I answer no to the name change when I have interview? I didn’t receive IL letter. Anybody received IL letter file on my same time period?Anybody have same problem and how i can correct it.I am worried about IL.

Please help me.

Thanks for your input.

DO: Chicago

8/22/2009: N-400 mailed (5 yr. GC)
8/25/2009: Received by USCIS
8/25/2009: Priority Date
8/30/2009: Bank Cashier's Check (cashed)
9/01/2009: Case Receipt received (mail)
9/7/2009: FP Notice Received
9/9/2009: walk in FP Done.
9/19/2009: FP Appt.
?/?/2009: Yellow CL Received
?/??/2009: Online Status Change
?/??/2009: IL Received
?/??/2009: ID

I asked the lawyer and infopass officer - both told that name change will not delay anything. So I filed N-400 requesting first name change.
However on today's interview the officer told that it'll shift oath date 1 to 2 months.
So I asked not to change name, and got oath date November 2

Hello Friends,

I was request for a name change on file N-400. My first name have *******KUMAR So I requested for first name ******* take out KUMAR only and middle and last name same as is. But I learn from people experience that problem and waiting more.Can I answer no to the name change when I have interview? I didn’t receive IL letter. Anybody received IL letter file on my same time period?Anybody have same problem and how i can correct it.I am worried about IL.

Today passed interview. No questions about my long trips abroad (I had 2 trips close to 6 months). No questions about traffic accident (I provided court dispositions & police report with N-400, as lawyer advised)
Long waiting in hall, interview itself 15 min. TV on a back wall - which is ridiculous - do people have eyes on the back of their heads?

07/01/09 : N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox by USPS express
07/02/09 : N-400 Received (USPS tracking)
07/02/09 : Priority Date
07/07/09 : Notice Date
07/09/09 : Check cashed
07/13/09 : NOA received
07/17/09 : Fingerprint Notice received
07/29/09 : Fingerprint appointment & done
08/27/09 : online status update: This case has been sent for a standard interview.
08/31/09 : CFR - Document checklist (yellow letter)
08/31/09 : Interview Letter received
10/28/09 : Interview Date
11/02/09 : Oath Date

Hi Kostyan

Hi
Few qs, mine is in few days.What time was your interview. Did you drive or take metra.From where if you drove, how was the traffice
I have mine at 8.05 am. Should I be right on time, is it Ok if we are late.

Also what kind of Civic questions did they ask?
Name of gov, senator, rep?

I work in downtown - so I just walked there. Interview was scheduled 10:25, arrived there 10:15 then waited about 1 hour.
I would not risk going late - your time is early, there may be no delay.

Civic questions were all easy. No dates, names were asked.
I made no mistakes so it ended after 6 questions.

Hi
Few qs, mine is in few days.What time was your interview. Did you drive or take metra.From where if you drove, how was the traffice
I have mine at 8.05 am. Should I be right on time, is it Ok if we are late.

Also what kind of Civic questions did they ask?
Name of gov, senator, rep?

Teacher
I thought I replied to your questions.
It is up to you either to drive to the location or take a train. There is a vallet parking place right besides USCIS building.
Since your interview is in peak time, you may want to start real early. It depends where you live and what highyway you take to get to downtown.
I live in NW burbs and 35 miles from downtown. No one can tell how the traffic will be once you hit the road. If you have access to Metra / CTA, i suggest you take one of them and take a cab to USCIS building from the station.
No one can here answer whether if it ok if you are late for you interview. Based on my experience, USCIS will accomodate if you have valid reason for being late. Check weather conditions and construction zones before you start if you are driving
I am not sure why you are getting panic regarding civics question.
Governer of IL ---- Patt Quin
Senator of IL ---- Dick Durbin
Congressman of IL ----- Depends which district you are residing. I think USCIS will be provided with list of representative, which if you can answer one you should be fine.
Here are a couple of names --- Pete Roskam, Mark Kirk
I don't know if this info will calm you down. Just be relaxed and your interview will be fine. I had AC21 and name inconsistency issues with my N400 applications. Infact I was grilled on AC21 issue and the officer was allways respectfull and understanding. It took 20 minutes for my interview but I still passed without any issue. My recommendation to you is show your confidence when you are talking to the officer.

Also you mentioned that you have a kid. There is small play area in the interview facility. You can mention that you have kid when you take token for your interview so that they will make a note of it and accomodate some time gap between you and your spouse's interview.

Good luck with your interview

Patrick,

Congrats on becoming a USCS. Did they ask you to present your driver's license and if so, why did they ask. Was it just for entry? Do you know?

Yes, the IO asked me to show my DL during the interview. For entry, I only needed to show the IL. I didn't know why they wanted to see my DL. Maybe for the identification? DL was the only item in my yellow letter that they wanted me to bring.

Just make sure that your picture is on there and the address matches with the one you put on N400.

Good luck,

URGENT PLS HELP, Thanks again!

Q for the ones who will attend the oath ceremony on next Monday.
What is your exact time for swearing on 11/02? AM or PM?

My interview is scheduled on 11/03. May I go directly to USCIS on 11/02 asking for an earlier interview on that day, with my upcoming air tickets within 14 days on hand? Will they accommodat me on 11/02 for interview? Is it viable to do that??

Please provide info! Any info on this will be highly appreciated!

I was not asked for DL.
Officer asked for GC and later for Passport.
I believe it's a good idea to bring DL, GC, Passport (all these were mentioned in my interview letter)

Yes, the IO asked me to show my DL during the interview. For entry, I only needed to show the IL.

re

Tamato
My oath date is 11/02 at 12:00 PM.

In my opinion you should have showed your air tickets to the USCIS offier who interviewed you so that the officer could have accomodated earliest oath date for you. You are asking the wrong crowd here who do not have any control on oath dates. You missed an oppurtunity and I think it is waste of time to try to get your oath on 2nd. If you don't mind travelling all the way you can try that, you don't need any opinion from any of us

Still waiting...

Did my FP on Sep 22nd, FBI check returned back on Oct 02nd. Waiting on any Status Change or LUD's, 37 days and counting? :(

N-400 Time line for chicago

Hello Balyan,

I done my FP on Sep. 9 and still waiting for IL letter.My online case status say same as for additional ref(FP notice on sep.3).How i check about FBI was cleared my FP.When i went for FP at that time machine say's match 75 on both hand that's on Sep 9.when i went for FP.After FP done FP officer said that they will send to the USCIS.But i don't know that FBI was cleared my FP.How i check about FBI was cleared my FP.

please help me

thanks for your input.

Did my FP on Sep 22nd, FBI check returned back on Oct 02nd. Waiting on any Status Change or LUD's, 37 days and counting? :(

Tomato
I mis read your question. Actually when i and my wife went for interview, my wife completed her interview first and the officer who interviewed her mentioned that she will get oath date on Nov 3rd, but after my interview they switched the date to Nov 2nd for both of us as we mentioned that we were husband and wife when we took the interview token. So there may be oath cermony on Nov 3rd, you may request for it when you go for your interview.

name change

Based on my reading it looks like name change will delay things. I was hoping that was not the case with Chicago DO. In any case I am planning to go-ahead with the name change. Hopefully its not a long wait..

Thanks,

HTML:
So there may be oath cermony on Nov 3rd, you may request for it when you go for your interview.

Srinikandi,
Thank you sooooo much for your useful info! ! I will try to ask for swearing on 11/3 then.

Passed today

Had interview at 8, went at 9. Drove from NW suburbs. Took 2.5 hrs. Driving a very very bad idea. I threw up in the car :(. I strongly suggest that people take metra. I had to pay $18 for parking and $15 gas and lot of unneccessary pain!
I suggested to inteviewer they should give after 10AM slots for people living far from downtown and/or people with small children
Now the good part
Interview was cool. Got all six right. Asked me the VP name.
Interviewer was very helpful