Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Talked to a second IO who just told me that our DO is still processing cases received on or before 1/31. I found that puzzling because some members of our DO with April notices have received and other have already doing their interviews. I always get different answers from I/Os:
First time - FP take a long time to clear. So be patient.
Second time- Your FP cleared the same day and your were on the Q since 7/07. So, it won't take long to get an IL because USCIS does not have any backlog.
Today - I guess you need to wait, but don't know why. That's how it is.

I hope this help
Cheers

Talked to a second IO who just told me that our DO is still processing cases received on or before 1/31. I found that puzzling because some members of our DO with April notices have received and other have already doing their interviews. I always get different answers from I/Os:
First time - FP take a long time to clear. So be patient.
Second time- Your FP cleared the same day and your were on the Q since 7/07. So, it won't take long to get an IL because USCIS does not have any backlog.
Today - I guess you need to wait, but don't know why. That's how it is.

I hope this help
Cheers

The IOs will go by the processing times on USCIS website (for Chicago it says 1/31). If your case was filed after that date, they will tell you to wait.
Given that you only applied 2 months ago and the entire process takes anywhere from 4-8 months, you need to be a little more patient.

This issue might have been covered extensively but I would like to know anyway. What are tax transcripts? I have copies of my past 5 years tax filings. Would that be enough for the interview? If not, where do I order these tax transcripts?

This issue might have been covered extensively but I would like to know anyway. What are tax transcripts? I have copies of my past 5 years tax filings. Would that be enough for the interview? If not, where do I order these tax transcripts?

Tax transcripts give a breakdown of your taxes filed for any given year. USCIS requests them over your own tax copies since the ones from IRS are considered official. They would only ask for tax transcripts in certain circumstances such as marriage based applications, proof of continuous residency and if you declared you previously failed to pay taxes. You an order transcripts via IRS form 4506-t:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Tax transcripts give a breakdown of your taxes filed for any given year. USCIS requests them over your own tax copies since the ones from IRS are considered official. They would only ask for tax transcripts in certain circumstances such as marriage based applications, proof of continuous residency and if you declared you previously failed to pay taxes. You an order transcripts via IRS form 4506-t:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Does the USCIS specifically state in the IL to bring tax transcripts for the interview? If it does not mention, do we still need to take them with us? Your suggestion please.

Does the USCIS specifically state in the IL to bring tax transcripts for the interview? If it does not mention, do we still need to take them with us? Your suggestion please.

The IL will include a N-659 documents checklist that states to bring tax transcripts in certain cases:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=10881&fullsize=1

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=10880&fullsize=1

If your case is simple, you needn't worry about bringing tax transcripts.

I just called today about my case. My details:

Filed: 4/24/09
Receipt Notice: 4/29/09
FP Appointment Notice: 5/7/09
FP: 5/22/09
Interview Document Checklist Letter: 6/4/09
Nothing since.

I called today to ask what's going on and how long this will take. The first level customer service rep was clueless and escalated me up one level. The next person told me that "the Chicago office is currently interviewing applicants who filed 1/31/09"! She said it's typically an 8-month wait. Does this sound normal?

Nothing since.

I called today to ask what's going on and how long this will take. The first level customer service rep was clueless and escalated me up one level. The next person told me that "the Chicago office is currently interviewing applicants who filed 1/31/09"! She said it's typically an 8-month wait. Does this sound normal?

Hi Misha K,

We are on the same timeline I guess. I have called USCIS numerous times and I've been told of the same thing. Seeing from other posts here, I myself dont understand why it's taking so long. My wife had just took her oath last Monday and what I dont understand is, she filed a week before me, around 4/12/09. And so, whenever I call up and ask for my IL, they tell me that the whole process is an 8-month period. Then why is my wife done and I'm not? hers only took 4months. Oh well, nothing we could do I guess but wait. :(

Nothing since.

She is just give u a standard answer, i bet she did not even look at u r file as to where it was in the process. Did you ask if u r name check has come back yet? i think u dont get the doc chk list b4 the name check is completed.

last i heard they were processing cases with PD b4 6/18 but mostly from outside of chicagoland area

My case status has changed last night. Now it says "Current Status: This case has been sent for a standard interview.

Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. As part of our standard processing you will be sent a notice when the interview is scheduled, or if the office needs something from you
".
I will update if i receive some thing in postal mail like any check list.
Thanks
My receipt date was 06/10 and my FB was done on 08/08.

Interview

I had my interview yesterday:)
I was scheduled at 11:05, waited 1:30 before they called my name. The officer sworn me and then proceeded with civic exam. I answered first 6 questions correctly and we proceeded to reading and writing. I had to read sentence he gave me and then write one he dictated for me. It was easy. Then he asked me for my GC, Passport and ID. Since I changed my last name due to my marriage he also checked if he has copy of my Marriage Certificate in file (I had original just in case). Then we went thru my application and corrected one mistake in it. Then he congratulated me on passed exam and told me to wait for the oath letter in the waiting area. I waited another 30 min or so and received oath letter for 9/4/2009. I was the third one in line who received that day. All of the people before me received 8/26/2009. I ques there was no more spaces for that day:) I am not complaining, I think process was very fast and painless:) and I will have even longer labor day weekend:)
Overall experience was very positive despite the waiting time, but I was prepared for that:)
Since I had a lot of time to chat with other applicants I found out that most of them filed the same day or couple days before me. Some of them had the same Priority Date.

PS I took all of the documents I thought I could be asked for during my interview (tax returns, birth certificate) even though there were not checked on my IL. I was never asked for any of those.

Ni. I live in chicago(schaumburg).
Anyone- I sthe interview document check list called the yellow letter?
I guess the next steps would be attend interview and wait for oath date? Is that right?

7/27/2009: N-400 Mailed
7/28/2009: N-400 Received by USCIS
7/28/2009: Priority Date
8/03/2009: Bank Cashier's Check (cashed)
8/06/2009: Notice received date (mail)
8/10/2009: FP Notice Received
8/25/2009: FP Appointment Date (Done)
?/??/2009: CFR - Check List Received
?/??/2009: Interview Letter Received
?/??/2009: Interview Date
?/??/2009: Oath Letter Received
?/??/2009: Oath Ceremony Date

Last edited by a moderator: