Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Type: Employment based Green card
Submitted application: 84 days before completion of 5 years on GC
Simple Traffic Tickets: Notified on the application
District Office: Chicago

7/27/2009: N-400 Mailed
7/28/2009: N-400 Received by USCIS
7/28/2009: Priority Date
8/03/2009: Bank Cashier's Check (cashed)
8/06/2009: Notice received date (mail)
?/??/2009: FP Notice Received
?/??/2009: FP Appointment Date
?/??/2009: CFR - Check List Received
?/??/2009: Interview Letter Received
?/??/2009: Interview Date
?/??/2009: Oath Letter Received
?/??/2009: Oath Ceremony Date

Need Help. My FP appointment was Aug 1st as i was out of country on family emergency, i requested for re scheduling. Any one has the experice on how long it takes before i get the re scheduled notice? Can i try for a walkin even before i get the re scheduled notice? Mine is at Norridge center,chicago..
Any thoughts..highly appreciated.
Thanks

NBC Receipt number ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My receipt number is NBC*000xxxxxx, Online case status says "You can use our processing dates to estimate when yours will be done. This case is at our NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER location."

Where do I check for Processing times? NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER processing times don't show N-400 times.

NBC Receipt number ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My receipt number is NBC*000xxxxxx, Online case status says "You can use our processing dates to estimate when yours will be done. This case is at our NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER location."

Where do I check for Processing times? NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER processing times don't show N-400 times.

You are in the same time frame as mine. I believe the service centers do not show N-400 processing times. You need to look into district offices for processing times, even though they are not accurate. I think the NBC in MO or somewhere first enters the case in their national system, then sends FP notice and once the results comes back from FBI, send the entire file containing our immigration history to the local district office. At the same time the interview letters were mailed with an interview date available for the district office to handle. This transfer of our file and issuing of IL letter is where we loose some time, close to 2 months. That's my understanding of the system based on various posts here and other places.

did any of you guys received any e-mail update from the uscis that your case has been transfered to the local office because i see lot of people received that e-mail from this forums but i want to make sure that chicago office people recd this kind of e-mail or update please reply

District Office: Chicago

06/27/09 : N-400 Mailed to Pheonix, AZ
06/28/09 : Mail received
06/29/09 : Check Cashed.
06/29/09 : Priority Date.
07/02/09 : NOA Received
07/07/09 : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
07/29/09 : FP done on scheduled date
xx/xx/09 : Interview Letter & Check list.
xx/xx/09 : Interview Date
xx/xx/xx : Oath Letter.
xx/xx/xx : Oath Date.

I was just curious, why would people try to get finger printing done before the schedule date. Most of us waited all along to get green card, a week won't make any difference in getting citizenship. I would rather see this behaviour stereotyped by USCIS and cause unneccesary bottle neck. I guess being desi we never followed or acustomed to Queue system even after staying here for ? years. :)

I completely agree with you and I am puzzled too...

Why all those hurries?

-People RUSH their N400 by overnight mail- rather than sending by priority and saving $10. Its a difference of ATMOST 2 days.

- Immediately after they are able to track the shipment, they are SUPER worried if the tracking order is not updated for a day or 2.

- Once they pass the oath, they apply for EXPEDIATED passport, spending another $100, but mind you , they have no plans for travel.

We have waited for 5 good yrs, and you know - several yrs till that time to get green card.

Why so much of anxiety to get your n400 finished as fast as possible, and in the process pay heaps of money?

When I send my taxes, it takes several weeks to get refund.
If I send paper return ( due to some problem in e-filing), it takes AT LEAST a month to IRS to assign a person to my case.

OK. My FP is done yesterday without any issues. Though my appt date is passed by week they did let me do it. Waiting for the next steps.
Thanks

Does any1 know which PD are they processing for IL at chicago.

If you browse through the thread, you'll conclude that our Chicago DC is still handling mostly people with April PD. I have not seen anyone with PD from 5/1and Up receive any IL. Other DOs however have already strated sending IL to recipients with PD as high as 6/22.

I tried enquiring with a second level IO who told me that, they, USCIS does not have lots of work(Backlog) that would prevent from sending ILs. So, keep your thingers crossed.
Cheers

If you browse through the thread, you'll conclude that our Chicago DC is still handling mostly people with April PD. I have not seen anyone with PD from 5/1and Up receive any IL. Other DOs however have already strated sending IL to recipients with PD as high as 6/22.

I tried enquiring with a second level IO who told me that, they, USCIS does not have lots of work(Backlog) that would prevent from sending ILs. So, keep your thingers crossed.
Cheers

Thanks

Cheers

My brother applied for his AOS (485 family based, DO Chicago) on 6/18 and he just received his IL (interview date 9/15). I was wondering if it is the same set of IO who deal with both AOS and n400 application. If that is so then I guess we should be expecting our IL to arrive very soon.

My brother applied for his AOS (485 family based, DO Chicago) on 6/18 and he just received his IL (interview date 9/15). I was wondering if it is the same set of IO who deal with both AOS and n400 application. If that is so then I guess we should be expecting our IL to arrive very soon.

the AOS dept is on the second floor and citizenship dept is on the third floor and both dept has different IO .

I completely agree with you and I am puzzled too...

Why all those hurries?

-People RUSH their N400 by overnight mail- rather than sending by priority and saving $10. Its a difference of ATMOST 2 days.

A: Some people think the other way. Rather than worry if the package is lost in the mail without tracking code, why not spent few extra bucks to spare the anxiety. I guess there is nothing wrong with that

- Immediately after they are able to track the shipment, they are SUPER worried if the tracking order is not updated for a day or 2.

A: Some people get peace knowing that their package was delivered to USCIS. Nothing wrong with that.

- Once they pass the oath, they apply for EXPEDIATED passport, spending another $100, but mind you , they have no plans for travel.

A: Having a citizenship certificate doesn’t allow one to travel outside US in case of emergency, without a US passport. As for the passport from previous nationality, it cannot be used. It makes perfect sense to get a US passport as early as possible and also get some kind of visa stamp to be able to visit the born nation.

We have waited for 5 good yrs, and you know - several yrs till that time to get green card.

Why so much of anxiety to get your n400 finished as fast as possible, and in the process pay heaps of money?

A: Immigration laws keep changing by the day and some people prefer to finish the last step of the immigration journey ASAP. Nobody knows what kind of ideas the anti-immigration groups come up with before we naturalize.

Re

Spider
I agree to the fact that if someone wants to blow up thier own money on mail processing or mail tracking, it is thier wish. I do have a problem when people try to jump over queue to get thier things done. I don't think USCIS is dumb to assign a particular date for finger printing each applicant. They want to distribute the work load and process applications in the order they received. I find it stupid when people complain about not letting them for finger printing days ahead of thier scheduled date. I guess they call it civic sense to follow rules. May be USCIS should penalize people who do not follow queue system. Oh then they will cry :D

Mai and June PD people, have you started receiving anything yet? I wonder why is our DO is too slow? Are tey taking care of other types of applications?
Cheers