Chennai Jan/Feb 2005 Interview

hotels in new delhi

Can anyone suggest a good hotel in new delhi , not very expensive though but reasonably priced? especially if one has to stay for around 10 days for the CP interview.

Thanks for your help !

If you want to stay closer to the US Embassy, then you could stay at Hotel Diplomat on Sardar Patel Marg. If you are a member of YMCA you could check the Youth Hostel in Chanakyapuri. If you know any minister or MLA, MP from your state, you could stay at one of the State Guest Houses in the area.

Sucessful Interview

Hi All ,

First of All thanks for everybody's help in this forum ,

Lab exams went well at Lister Labs and Dr V is excellnt docto, smiling and nice person ,

Reached the cousulat at 7.45 am as i had appointment at 8 .00 am , we were called at 9.50 am , by consullar officer , just general questions and was thu . Jot my Passport stamped and valid for 6 months

Thanks Once again for everybody's help

Thanks

Congrats Pad!

pad80 said:
Hi All ,

First of All thanks for everybody's help in this forum ,

Lab exams went well at Lister Labs and Dr V is excellnt docto, smiling and nice person ,

Reached the cousulat at 7.45 am as i had appointment at 8 .00 am , we were called at 9.50 am , by consullar officer , just general questions and was thu . Jot my Passport stamped and valid for 6 months

Thanks Once again for everybody's help

Thanks

My H1B Expires in April completing 6 Years - Consular processing

My H1B Expires in April completing 6 Years and my GC consular processing is in final stage waiting for the priority dates to be current. Can I extend my H1B yearly until I get my green card ?

POE - Was Cool and Easy

Entered US on the 27th Feb at Washington Dulles. Felt really good to be on the PR line. Officer collected Papers organized it in a folder, Stamped mine and my families Visas, asked us to go to a different room. There was a friendly Afro-American lady officer. Took our right Index finger print and signature and said we will receive our cards in few weeks. It was a breeze. Thanks to all sharing all valuable information. This forum is great.

Ghat72

Original W2's

Hi All,

Well.. many warned but obviously one miss to check after the interview especially after the officer says "Your papers are approved" !!.

Consulate did not return my original W2's :(. Any ways to get this back Any one with similar experience please share Info.

Ghat72.

snm65 said:
Does anybody know how long it takes to receive the SSN from the date of entry after CP?
Or Should one go to the local SSN office to obtain the number for dependents even though one has opted to receive a number during CP interview?
There's no guarantee that it will automatically happen.

(It did not for me). I went to the SSA office about 5 mos. after POE.

kovaiGC and Ghat72,

Hearty congratulations for getting your CP process done.

Have fun now!

Thanks Alren,

Here is the funny thing - I went to the SSN office yesterday to apply for the SSNs for my wife and kid. The guy behind the counter told me that he will be able to issue a SSN for my wife but not for my son. According to him, there is no record of my son entering the country when he tried to access the USCIS database.
Anyhow, I filled in a form for my son, gave copies of passport and the plastic card. I was told it could take between 6 to 10 weeks to receive the card.

Et all,

We have recieved our cards today. only thing we are waiting is on my wife's SSN. My sincere thanks to everyone here.

Best Regards,
Jeet

Medicals

I would highly recommend Dr. Mathai Thomas for the medical. Everyone here seems to go to Dr. Vijayalakshmi, so I wanted to remind folks that there is an alternative =) He is available till 7:30pm daily and doesn't require an appt, so you can pick up your lab report from Lister around 5-5:30pm and head down to see him right away. He is very easygoing and quick, and further, does not ask you to get any vaccinations! He didn't ask me any questions about my vaccination history, and simply gave me a blanket waiver for all vaccinations. Works out well if you're afraid of the needle =)

Hi
I just saw that retrogression has happened from Jan 05 and it seems to have large impact on the CP interview scheduling. Based on my knowledge Consulate will schedule an interview only when the priority date is current. Based on this I have the following quesitons could someone please answer it.

Based on my priority date of 7/03 for an Indian citizen on an EB3 Employment based category, when do you think I might get an interview at Chennai, India? Has anyone in EB3, with priority dates past(ie after 4/02) what is posted in the bulletin got any interview calls recently. I am trying to speculate the interview date and accordingly planning on getting the PCC.

rrajendr said:
Hi
I just saw that retrogression has happened from Jan 05 and it seems to have large impact on the CP interview scheduling. Based on my knowledge Consulate will schedule an interview only when the priority date is current. Based on this I have the following quesitons could someone please answer it.

Based on my priority date of 7/03 for an Indian citizen on an EB3 Employment based category, when do you think I might get an interview at Chennai, India? Has anyone in EB3, with priority dates past(ie after 4/02) what is posted in the bulletin got any interview calls recently. I am trying to speculate the interview date and accordingly planning on getting the PCC.

Your inteview should be scheduled withina few months (2 or 3) once your PD becomes current. When the PD of 07-2003 would be current is anybodys guess.

Hi v2uvut , other folks
Thanks for the reply. HOwever just wanted to clarify on the process of how the transfer from NVC happens to Consulate and how consulate schedules an interview.
After NVC receives the pkt3, it does the review and after successful review will forward the case to the consulate IRRESPECTIVE of the PD's CUT OFF DATE. Consulate on the other hands will do any review if needed and will only schedule an interview only if a immigrant visa number is availbale. If the immigrant visa number is NOT available it WILLN'T schedule an interview rather will wait till it can be issued. The way the immigrant visa number is issued is, consulate will ask for an immigrant visa number from Dept. of state or some govt. body that governs the issuance of immigrant visa number. Immigrant visa number however is granted only when my PD IS EQUAL TO OR BELOW THE CUT-OFF DATE quoted in the Visa bullletin. If MY PD IS NOT EQUAL TO OR BELOW THE CUT-OFF DATE, I WILL NOT BE ISSUED A IMMIGRANT VISA NUMBER UNTIL IT BECOMES SO.

Please correct me if I am wrong with my understanding.

Cancellation

Hi Friends,

I came to know that, sometimes the Employers will request BCIS to cancel Green Cards ( After Approval and receipt of plastic Cards). Is this true ?.

Is that must employee must work for with same employer (who processed GC)for 1 yr ?.

Bonds are valid in this country ? I mean, if employer says that you have to work for me at least 1 yr after GC approval. Generally is this rule ?.

Is Chennai Consulate accepts AC-140 for EB2 cases ?

Please can somebody reply for this ?

Thanks
clue_gc :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
successful GC interview on 2/18

Sorry for this late update but I just got back to the US last night.
General advice before I relate my experience
- if you aren't from Chennai, try and schedule your medicals on the same day (Lister + Dr) and if possible just the day before your appt. Otherwise, you'll end up wasting a lot of time sitting around in Chennai unless you plan to do sight seeing (like Mahabalipuram ...).
- auto drivers in Chennai are complete rogues; don't ever trust the meter and always fully negotiate the price before getting into one.
- Wear very comfortable clothing (cottons); the heat+humidity can be bothersome if you aren't from Miami :)

Went for medical tests to Lister labs at around 10am and collected the results later that evening. The place is a little disorganized (in my opinion) - the reports were slowly trickling in around 6pm and I finally got mine around 6:30pm. I had the appt. at Padma Nursing home the following noon, so I was okay with the delay. Dr. V hardly checked anything - she had some of the forms half done and just filled in the details from the reports I brought in. Gave me Varicella (chicken pox) and MMR vaccines - I could've simply avoided vaccinations if I had said that I had chicken pox when I was a kid.

Went to the consulate on 18th morning around 8:45pm and was able to get in without standing in line though I had to show my appt letter to 3 guards! After going thro' all the security gates, the very first set of counters are for the IV seekers. Waited for about 25 minutes before an Indian man called me and asked for my papers. He was quite friendly and just asked general questions like how long I had been working in my current job. He gave back all paperwork that he didn't need though my lawyers had included it in my application. Had to then wait another 15 minutes before an American officer called me - looks like he went to Berkeley, so he chatted with me about the bay area. Interestingly, both he and the Indian guy commented on why I was still single :rolleyes:
The American officer said everything looked in order and he'd approve my papers but he asked me to go sit and wait till he finished some checks on the computer. About 5-10 minutes later he called me back and said that he couldn't find my H-1B visa in my passport. Once I showed him my H-1B extension paper work (my 6 years expired a while ago), he was happy and didn't even want photocopies.
I was out by 11:45am and returned back to B'lore the same night. All my papers arrived the following day by 10:30am!
The PoE in SFO was fairly painless - just a lot of waiting while the officer took care of finger printing everyone in line even though I was at his counter waiting! The only disconcerting thing was that the officer said it would take upto 8 months for the plastic card to arrive :mad:

The only endorsement on the visa in the "admitted" stamp - I am assuming that this is enough for a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
skater said:
Sorry for this late update but I just got back to the US last night.
General advice before I relate my experience
- if you aren't from Chennai, try and schedule your medicals on the same day (Lister + Dr) and if possible just the day before your appt. Otherwise, you'll end up wasting a lot of time sitting around in Chennai unless you plan to do sight seeing (like Mahabalipuram ...).
- auto drivers in Chennai are complete rogues; don't ever trust the meter and always fully negotiate the price before getting into one.
- Wear very comfortable clothing (cottons); the heat+humidity can be bothersome if you aren't from Miami :)

Went for medical tests to Lister labs at around 10am and collected the results later that evening. The place is a little disorganized (in my opinion) - the reports were slowly trickling in around 6pm and I finally got mine around 6:30pm. I had the appt. at Padma Nursing home the following noon, so I was okay with the delay. Dr. V hardly checked anything - she had some of the forms half done and just filled in the details from the reports I brought in. Gave me Varicella (chicken pox) and MMR vaccines - I could've simply avoided vaccinations if I had said that I had chicken pox when I was a kid.

Went to the consulate on 18th morning around 8:45pm and was able to get in without standing in line though I had to show my appt letter to 3 guards! After going thro' all the security gates, the very first set of counters are for the IV seekers. Waited for about 25 minutes before an Indian man called me and asked for my papers. He was quite friendly and just asked general questions like how long I had been working in my current job. He gave back all paperwork that he didn't need though my lawyers had included it in my application. Had to then wait another 15 minutes before an American officer called me - looks like he went to Berkeley, so he chatted with me about the bay area. Interestingly, both he and the Indian guy commented on why I was still single :rolleyes:
The American officer said everything looked in order and he'd approve my papers but he asked me to go sit and wait till he finished some checks on the computer. About 5-10 minutes later he called me back and said that he couldn't find my H-1B visa in my passport. Once I showed him my H-1B extension paper work (my 6 years expired a while ago), he was happy and didn't even want photocopies.
I was out by 11:45am and returned back to B'lore the same night. All my papers arrived the following day by 10:30am!
The PoE in SFO was fairly painless - just a lot of waiting while the officer took care of finger printing everyone in line even though I was at his counter waiting! The only disconcerting thing was that the officer said it would take upto 8 months for the plastic card to arrive :mad:

The only endorsement on the visa in the "admitted" stamp - I am assuming that this is enough for a year.

Congrats Skater.

I'm sure must be quite weather change between bay area and Chennai.

The endrosment is valid for 1 yr. Most likely you will the the card in 2 mos. max.