Chennai Jan/Feb 2005 Interview

When to Expect Welcome Letter

Hi Guru's,

When could I expect my welcome letter after my POE?.

Where would it be sent "Present Address" or "Address where the GC is to be mailed" (as given in visa application)?.

Normally how many days before the card arrive the welcome letter is sent?.

Thanks in Advance.

Ghat72.

Ghat72,

You should get a welcome letter in a couple of day - I am speaking from my experience. I got my welcome letter in about 3 weeks from the POE date. Also sometimes it depends on the POE.

I am not sure about your question - What do you mean by the "Present Address"?I had given my Present Address (US Address) on the DS230 Part 1 and it was to that address the welcome letter was sent.

Successful POE

Entered US last Saturday at Atlanta, got the I-551 endorsement on the passport. The officer asked if we had 2 photos and luckily I had it with me and gave it (CPers entering US carry some IV style photos just in case) and told us we should be getting our cards within 6-8 months.

Thanks again to Rajiv Khanna and this wonderful forum and all who shared their experience.

kovaiGC said:
Entered US last Saturday at Atlanta, got the I-551 endorsement on the passport. The officer asked if we had 2 photos and luckily I had it with me and gave it (CPers entering US carry some IV style photos just in case) and told us we should be getting our cards within 6-8 months.

Thanks again to Rajiv Khanna and this wonderful forum and all who shared their experience.

Yeah, I had a similar issue but I didn't have any fotos on me. The officer decided to use the one that was included with the packet from the consulate.
I wonder why they need more copies & I wish they'd collect the same at the time of the interview.

BTW, is the 6-8 month line just to cover their bases ? People seem to be getting them rather quickly from some of the posts I've seen.

Permanent Resident Date

CP Gurus who received their physical card:

I guess in the physical card they have a column "Permanent Resident Since:".
Can any of you please let me know if the date is your interview date at the consulate or POE date.

Truly appreciate your responses.

Raju/Alren/Snm...,

I would appreciate if you can advice...

Thanks..

kovaiGC said:
CP Gurus who received their physical card:

I guess in the physical card they have a column "Permanent Resident Since:".
Can any of you please let me know if the date is your interview date at the consulate or POE date.

Truly appreciate your responses.

kovaiGC said:
Raju/Alren/Snm...,

I would appreciate if you can advice...

Thanks..

The Resident since date is the POE date. Mere issue of Immigrant visa at the consulate does not make one a PR. It is the actual entry into US that matters.

Raju

Welcome Letter Received

Hi All,

I have received my welcome letter and my daughters plastic card on 24th March. Wiating for my wifes card and my card.

Ghat.

A late update...

First off, Congrats Ghat72..

Sorry guys..I know this is a very very late update but I did update the CPtracker but forgot to leave a note here...After my CP interview in Chennai in Jan, I entered thru Chicago on Jan-24.

Answering my own previous question, though the guy told me it would take 5-6 months for the card to arrive, I got the plastic card exactly 11 days later !!

CP is the way to go & wishing everyone waiting for their turn all the luck. Stay cool.

DinZ :cool:

Hello all,

I received my welcome letter (actually got two of them) last week and am waiting for the plastic card. I also got the new Social Security card - only glitch is that my middle name/initial is missing.
Any idea how to get that fixed ?

Thanks,
Skater

Plastic Cards Arrived!!!!

Hi Guys,

Received all the plastic cards on the 30th. Phew!!! Every thing looks ok.

Party Time :D !!!

Thanks to all gurus and folks from Jan/Feb group for sharing their valuable information and experience!!.

Ghat.

Congrats Ghat!

I got mine on the 30th! I am amazed that it came so quickly.

Hey, it's actually green on the rear side :D

Indeed, thanks to all on this board for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Skater ,

I also recived my welcome letter yesterday and my wife's SSN , actually me and my wife got two copies of welcome letter , waiting for the physical card

kovaiGC said:
Congrats Ghat & Skater!!

How long did it take for your to receive the SSN's after POE?

I entered on 3/13, got the SSN & welcome letter (2 copies) on 3/24 and the card on 3/30!
Though only hiccup is that my middle name is missing on the SSN card.
Have to figure out how to get that fixed.