Charlotte, NC - N-400 Timeline

to FORANAND

As I understand - you did not get the letter from INS with the an interview date yet. The waiting period can be from 2 months to few years. It all depends how fast your NAME CHECK will go through.

For last 2 years I've been waiting for my interview. And every time I travel overseas I also worry about the same thing you do right now - I dont want to miss the interview. You dont need to go to INS to talk to someone. Only thing you are going to hear from them - "your case is pending. No, we dont know how long its going to take". Don't waist your time by going there.

So, only thing you can do in this situation:
1. make sure that your plane tickets are refundable and you have the option to change departure dates.
2. while you will be gone - ask someone to open your mail every day and to notify you immediatly about letter from INS.

Usually, INS send you the letter with interview appointment one month prior to that date. So, you should have enough time to postpone your trip or come back from overseas in time.

Good luck! Wish you'll get it very soon!

I'm ready to write!

Have you written your congressman yet or any other political official?

No, I have not.
For about a year I was debating " to write or not to write" to officials. Some people say - it might help. Some people say - it will not do you any good or will harm you more.
But after 2 years of waiting I 'm so mad! :mad:
So probably I will write to everybody I can think about - president, congressman, etc ! :mad:

-----------------------------------------
Charlotte

PD 01/17/2006
FP 03/21/2006
INTERVIEW Scheduled 05/19/2006
INTERVIEW cancelled 05/03/2006 (due to unforeseen circumstances)
and I was advised to wait for futher notice.......

MY CASE IS OUT OF PROCESSING TIME BY MORE THAN A YEAR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
Charlotte seemed to be moving now.
I received my Interview Letter
Priority Date: 2/21/07
IL RECVD: 10/19
Interview Date: 11/28/07

Hi pvcltn400,

can I ask you a favor? does your interview letter give any instructions on how to reschedule an appointment? If so, is it via phone or is by sending something in regular mail only?

thx.

Recent charlotte interview experiences and Name change?

Hi All,

Any recent interview experiences and/or name change experiences in charlotte?

Mine and My wife interview is schduled on 11/20/07.

I would like to hear the recent experiences regarding the list of documents, interview procedure and name change procedure.

My wife would like to change her last name (from her mainden last name to my last name). I am wondering whether she needs to take the marriage certificate. How about the oath date regarding the name change??

Please let us know if any one has any experience/idea about this.

Thanks,
SRK

N-400 PD: 02/16/07
INterview Date : 11/20/07

Congrats on your Interview Letter, pvcltn400 and SRK_CLT.

My PD is 2/28/07, and based on your IL dates, I should have received my letter on 10/24 or 10/26 for a December 2 to December 5 Interview Date.

What worries me, is that as of today, November 2, I and many others have received nothing. As the holiday season approaches, many of us will be traveling, possibly unable plan in advance to be there for the interview, and we've already had our lives on hold for nine months or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally!

Received the Interview letter. With that, came a separate N-659-Interview Document Check List, containing 14 sections of dozens of possible supporting documents, including nearly all of the documents sent in the original N-400 application, and some odd ones, like "Evidence you did not abandon your residence..." (for those who traveled abroad for six months)

The actual date of the letter was 11/1/07, though it wasn't postmarked until 1/5/07 and arrived 11/8/07. Here are the dates:

2/24/07: Filed N-400
2/28/07: PD (Priority Date)
3/29/07: FP (Fingerprint Appointment)
11/1/07: IL (Interview Letter-Received 11/8/07)
12/10/07 ID (Interview Date)

Hopefully the Swearing-In can be done at that date. Time to brush up on the Civics questions! I'm so excited.

Very Smoothe Process. Nothing unusual to report in the interview. Started with questions, english test, Reviewed the papers and that was it.

After Interview had to wait for about 15 min. Gave me a letter to come for Oath same day at 1:00 pm

My wife and I applied together but she had her interview 2 weeks earlier. Her interview was at 12:20 pm so she had to come for interview after 8 days. My interview was at 9:10 AM so the oath was the same day.

Applied for passport (Expedite) immediately after getting the certificate.

Applied:2/13/2007
Naturalized:11/19/07

btw, I did not get any alerts from the INS web site even thought I have signed up for the email alerts for me and my wife. Looks like it is broken. :-(

Congratulations!!

Does your wife went for name change, thinking of reason for 8 days oath difference.

--SRK

Very Smoothe Process. Nothing unusual to report in the interview. Started with questions, english test, Reviewed the papers and that was it.

After Interview had to wait for about 15 min. Gave me a letter to come for Oath same day at 1:00 pm

My wife and I applied together but she had her interview 2 weeks earlier. Her interview was at 12:20 pm so she had to come for interview after 8 days. My interview was at 9:10 AM so the oath was the same day.

Applied for passport (Expedite) immediately after getting the certificate.

Applied:2/13/2007
Naturalized:11/19/07

Interview went very smooth today (11/20 ) for me and my wife..

Completed the oath also same day.. Got naturalizaion certificate.

Thanks a lot for this board

--SRK

Details:

RD : 02/16/07
ID: 11/20/07
Naturalized: 11/20/07

btw, I did not get any alerts from the INS web site even thought I have signed up for the email alerts for me and my wife. Looks like it is broken. :-(

The DHS or INS e-mail alert system, as well as the case status online has very limited updating, and has never really worked. If anything, it's usually wrong, and a waste of time to register.

Done with the interview and oath yesterday.
Everything went smoothly.

Thank You all board members for your advice and support
Good Luck to all of you in the queue.

-pvcltn400

Finally US Citizenship!!!!

Here are the dates:

The people who had interview appointments early, between 8 and 10 am were told to come back for their oath at 1 pm the same day. The later appointments were told to come back the next day, as they need time to prepare the certificates for the oath ceremony.

The interview was routine, asking about any recent changes, if any to the n-400 application, and lasted about 20 minutes. The Civics questions were only 4 or five of the 96 in the study booklet. They make you write a very simple sentence in English. Of the 45 people who came, about 5 were told to go home and come back when the learn English and/or Civics. These people knew practically NO English and did not study the Civics book. I spoke with each them while we were all waiting in the big room, before each of the interviewees were called in, and it was clear that they were not going to pass.

The remaining 40 people from this morning's room which came back at 1 pm for the oath, were seated in a smaller room, while a lady from a local organization talked about how to register to vote. Then they had us fill in a form, then they took our Green Cards away, and played a couple of patriotic videos. Then everyone at once stands up, repeats the oath which is in the n-400 and also on a handout sheet, recites the Pledge of Allegiance, also from the sheet, and then we all lined up and marched up to the podium for a handshake and to receive the Naturalization Certificate. That's it. :)

Took about an hour. Relatives can join you, seated at the side of the room, and they can bring non-cellphone cameras.

Here are the dates:

The people who had interview appointments early, between 8 and 10 am were told to come back for their oath at 1 pm the same day. The later appointments were told to come back the next day, as they need time to prepare the certificates for the oath ceremony.

The interview was routine, asking about any recent changes, if any to the n-400 application, and lasted about 20 minutes. The Civics questions were only 4 or five of the 96 in the study booklet. They make you write a very simple sentence in English. Of the 45 people who came, about 5 were told to go home and come back when the learn English and/or Civics. These people knew practically NO English and did not study the Civics book. I spoke with each them while we were all waiting in the big room, before each of the interviewees were called in, and it was clear that they were not going to pass.

The remaining 40 people from this morning's room which came back at 1 pm for the oath, were seated in a smaller room, while a lady from a local organization talked about how to register to vote. Then they had us fill in a form, then they took our Green Cards away, and played a couple of patriotic videos. Then everyone at once stands up, repeats the oath which is in the n-400 and also on a handout sheet, recites the Pledge of Allegiance, also from the sheet, and then we all lined up and marched up to the podium for a handshake and to receive the Naturalization Certificate. That's it. :)

Took about an hour. Relatives can join you, seated at the side of the room, and they can bring non-cellphone cameras.

Congratulations Bolivianlady !! I can't believe people would even show up without sufficient English when they had months to study.

I will be sending my N-400 package out in 2 weeks! Please send a prayer for me that my process won't be too long. Good luck everybody

I will be sending my N-400 package out in 2 weeks! Please send a prayer for me that my process won't be too long. Good luck everybody

Good luck Gatedgal..I'll spin the magic wheel of USCIS processing dates and hope for a low number.;)

Charlotte now taking 9-10 months for N400.

Two of my friends were told this by INS. They said name checking backlogs are taking 6-8months to come by, plus additional processing will take 9-10 months. Add 4 months to that because of TSC receipting and we are looking at 14 months time frame.