Charlotte, NC - N-400 Timeline

Hope this is helpful for people who want to become US citizen by naturalization. I had my interview (Charlotte DO) last week and now I am a proud US citizen. The interview and the oath ceremony were on the same day.I was at the office 30 min. before the interview (morning) and an officer called me in 15 min. after my scheduled appointment. Everything finished in 10-15 min. Asked me to produce my GC, passprt, Driver's License,etc. Gave me, my N-400 application and asked me to go over it and to see if everything is current. She asked me why I want to become a citizen of the US. Asked all the questions which were on the N-400 - crime, communist party,etc.Cofirmed with me about the trip overseas. She didn't look at my passport,GC,etc. I just placed them on her desk.I signed the N-400 at two places, signed the photos, and she gave me a couple of documents to sign. She asked me 5 questions out of the 100 questions from the USCIS website.I got everything right. Wrote a simple sentence - "I want to be a citizen of the United States." Read two sentences from a paper she produced.She said, that I have passed the citizenship test and asked me to go back to the waiting room. She said, that another officer has to look over my paper work,file,etc. After one hour the second officer came to the waiting room and called out a few names and gave the letter about the oath ceremony. Mine was one of the names called out. The oath ceremony was in the afternoon - 3 hrs.later. The supervisor conducted the ceremony. It was a very sentimental, moving ceremony. She gave us a pep-talk about what it is to be an American Citizen - how to apply for passprt,etc. Another gentleman from Women's Voters League gave us instructions on how to register to vote. There were about 60+ people who took the oath that day. Some of them,like me had their interviews in the morning and some had theirs on different days. Altogether it took about 2 hrs. for the ceremony to finish. Good luck to all.

My Time Line for N- 400:
PD: 1/17/06
FP:3/21/06
IV & Oath: 05/06

Last edited by a moderator:
Does any know how long will it take to do the Fingerprint in Charlotte?
Wondering if child is allowed in the waiting room.

NCRTP said:
Congratulation!

You said the officer went through every line of the N400 application, did she really ask you every line on N-400? I was wondering how long will that take.

I initially thought the officer only select some questions from N-400 to ask, am I wrong?

Did your wife get interview? Are kids allowed in the interview room?

Thanks.

She went through all the Yes/No Questions. She asked through every one of my last trips, last employer etc. That piece took 15 minutes. During this time, she was also interjecting with questions like "What colors are there in the american flag"

My wife checked with the officer the smae day and they said they are waiting for her file to arrive. So, it should be here soon.

About kids, I have not seen any kids come into the interview. Some kids were there during the oath ceremony but they are very clear about wanting the parents to take the kids out if they misbehave.

rxrajan said:
UB215,
Me and my wife submitted the app at the same time, FP'd same time. I got the interview but my wife's application case status is missing in USCIS website. I read you had teh same problem, but you gave a link to talk to USCIS. I am just woriied that may be we lost the interview notice for my wife in mail

When I called USCIS, they asked me to get an infopass appt on the USCIS site. My wife went for the appoitnment and they were ready with answers. I am really impressed with the charlotte USCIS folks.

Looks like my wife's full file has not arrived from texas. They said that it may take another 4 to 6 weeks. If she doesnt receive an appt in 4 to 6 weeks, the officer asked her to come back so that they can do something about it.

getcitizen said:
Dates advanced to Nov 15 2005 for charlotte.
Those dates do not mean anything.. Folks who have a receipt date of Feb 2006 have already completed their Oath

NCRTP said:
Does any know how long will it take to do the Fingerprint in Charlotte?
Wondering if child is allowed in the waiting room.
Not very long for fingerprinting. First you have to check with the guard. He/She 'll ask you to show the letter and the GC. They'll want to see your hands and fingers - just to check if you have any cuts,etc. Then you check in at the desk, they'll give you a form to fill with a pencil (provideded by them) and ask you to be seated in the waiting room. Children are allowed with the parents. Within ~10 mins. they'll call you to get the FP. That's all. For my FP, I was there 45 mins. before the appt. time. But they called me before the appt. time -first come, first serve basis.Hope this is clear.

Any recent interview experiences? My interview is scheduled for 06/12
Is the oath on the same day typically?

vlax said:
Any recent interview experiences? My interview is scheduled for 06/12
Is the oath on the same day typically?
I had my interview and the oath ceremony on the same day. That was in May 2006. The interview & the ceremony were in the same building. The supervisor who officiated the ceremony said, that the INS wants to naturalize eligible N-400 applicants without long waiting periods, by September 2006.

vlax,

Let us know your experience. I have got my interview on 6/22. I was just wondering if the oath is going to be on the same day!!

Congratulations!

My interview/oath back in Feb/Mar in Charlotte was split on different days. I think it might depend on whether your interview is in the morning or afternoon. Our interviews were in the afternoon and we saw lots of poeple in the waiting room who were waiting for the oath that day (1PM start). Our oath was scheduled for 1 week after the interview since that day's oath cerimony had already started when our interviews occured. If you have a morning interview and pass without issues then perhaps you can get the oath the same day.

Cheers,
Brian

infy said:
vlax,

Let us know your experience. I have got my interview on 6/22. I was just wondering if the oath is going to be on the same day!!

Congratulations!

Thanks

:) My interview is at 12:50 PM and my wife's is at 12:30 PM. I guess we must not expect for the same day oath. Thanks for the response!

Got my citizenship. End to end it took about 100 days (PD: 03/01/06)
The interview was straightforward - no problems.
If the interview time is after 11.30am then most probably the oath would not be on the same day

vlax said:
Got my citizenship. End to end it took about 100 days (PD: 03/01/06)
The interview was straightforward - no problems.
If the interview time is after 11.30am then most probably the oath would not be on the same day

Would you mind letting me know, when did the oath ceremony start?

Thanks!

Time between Applying and Fingerprinting

Hi,

Can people tell how long it is taking between applying for citizenship
and fingerprinting now a days . I have to travel and want to make
sure I can plan accordingly.

Thanks

pg2k said:
Hi,

Can people tell how long it is taking between applying for citizenship
and fingerprinting now a days . I have to travel and want to make
sure I can plan accordingly.

Thanks

Things are moving pretty fast these days. If you plan to travel shortly, then apply after you come back or take a chance!

Selective Service

vlax said:
Oath ceremony: 1pm to 3pm
Hi Vlax:
Congrats on getting this done!

Did you take any papers on SSR?. Did the officers question you about SSR?. I was not here in the US between ages 18 and 26. I do not have any papers from SSR. Is it OK?

Regarding entry docs, did the officer ask any docs other than passport?

My interview got descheduled, but my wife has the interview notice at this point. Thanks for answering.

rxrajan said:
Hi Vlax:
Congrats on getting this done!

Did you take any papers on SSR?. Did the officers question you about SSR?. I was not here in the US between ages 18 and 26. I do not have any papers from SSR. Is it OK?

Regarding entry docs, did the officer ask any docs other than passport?

My interview got descheduled, but my wife has the interview notice at this point. Thanks for answering.

You do not need any SSR papers. The only docs they asked for: GC, Passport and License
Overall a very seamless experience