Charlotte, NC - N-400 Timeline

I read about all the stuff that some people bring, but I just took what was asked for on the letter, which included passport, drivers license, green card and interview letter. In the interview the officer did find a flaw in my original photos that were submitted with the N400, so she asked me to get new ones done (they have a place right on site). I was not asked for any other documents and would not have planned on bringing any others. I think people that bring other docs and volunteer them up during the interview are just looking to create problems for themselves. If they ask you if you filed all your tax returns they're just looking for a "yes" answer, not copied of the last 10 years of tax returns!

Cheers,
Brian

vlax said:
Brian,
Thanks. I don't have my interview date yet (PD March 1st). Am just being lazy - hate to spend 1/2 day going through the driving written test,etc. I guess I will go and get it switched.

All,
I have seen at the other thread where they provide an exhaustive list of about 10-15 interview docs. Are they really needed? What all documents did you take? Does the letter state what to bring?

Thanks
Sam

My Citizenship Experience

DO-Charlotte
PD - 07/15/2005
FD Apt -09/02/2005
Interview Date - 05/02/06
Oath - 05/02/06

Checking the other posts related to the timeline Mine took about 9 1/2 months for the entire process. It seems mere luck with the dates.

Anyways I am finally done with my journey........ :)

Initial interview and Special Service Registration

I recd the interview letter today and I have the following questions. Our details:RD Mar 14, 2006 , PD Mar 14, 2006, FP Apr 20, 2006, Initial Interview Jun 15, 2006
1. Me and my wife applied together, FP'd same day and time. I got the initial interview letter, she did not. See any problems?
2. My notice of action says initial interview. Is "initial" routine?. Any one got simillar notice recently? No mention about oath on the same date.
3. They are asking any evidence of selective service registration along with the notice letter, green card, passport with any other docs in connection with my entries. Is this normal?
a. I was not in the US between ages 18 and 26, lived in India at that time. SSR website does not allow me to register now since I am morethan 26 years old. So, do I need to do something for this or go to interview simply with no evidence and tell the interview officer? Is every one gets interview notice like that?.
b. They are talking about docs connection with my entry?. Does that mean I need to take all the green card submissison papers, work visa documents etc.

FYI, Timeline update Got my interview letter.
PD: March 1st 06
FP: March31st
Online case disappeared and letter received: 5th May
Interview date: 12th June

The letter asks for Selective Service. I was in US on an H1 visa when I turned 26. Got my GC when I was 30. Was I supposed to register for Selecive Service?

Initial interview and documents

Vlax,
1. Is your notice says "initial" interview also?
2. Does your notice asks you to bring documents in connection with your entries in US?. I am thinking whether the passport with the visa stamp enough or do I have to other docs as well?
3. Do we need to assume that oath could be on the same day as interview. They have not mentioned anything about oath in the interview notice.

Thanks.

Rarajan,
1. Yes it does
2. I think it just means the passport. I can't think of any other docs
3. Don't assume that. It could be on the same day or could be a month or so later.

rxrajan said:
Vlax,
1. Is your notice says "initial" interview also?
2. Does your notice asks you to bring documents in connection with your entries in US?. I am thinking whether the passport with the visa stamp enough or do I have to other docs as well?
3. Do we need to assume that oath could be on the same day as interview. They have not mentioned anything about oath in the interview notice.

Thanks.

Ssr

Thanks Vlax. Good luck with your interview on Jun 12th. Pls keep us posted about the selective service registration if you get updates. I guess we have to go with no evidence of ssr to the interview and present our case to the officer.

rxrajan said:
I recd the interview letter today and I have the following questions. Our details:RD Mar 14, 2006 , PD Mar 14, 2006, FP Apr 20, 2006, Initial Interview Jun 15, 2006
1. Me and my wife applied together, FP'd same day and time. I got the initial interview letter, she did not. See any problems?
2. My notice of action says initial interview. Is "initial" routine?. Any one got simillar notice recently? No mention about oath on the same date.
3. They are asking any evidence of selective service registration along with the notice letter, green card, passport with any other docs in connection with my entries. Is this normal?
a. I was not in the US between ages 18 and 26, lived in India at that time. SSR website does not allow me to register now since I am morethan 26 years old. So, do I need to do something for this or go to interview simply with no evidence and tell the interview officer? Is every one gets interview notice like that?.
b. They are talking about docs connection with my entry?. Does that mean I need to take all the green card submissison papers, work visa documents etc.

My RD date is 04-17-2006. Check was cashed on 04-20-2006, But still didn't receive any receipt. Is this Normal??

Civics questions

macura said:
DO-Charlotte
PD - 07/15/2005
FD Apt -09/02/2005
Interview Date - 05/02/06
Oath - 05/02/06

Checking the other posts related to the timeline Mine took about 9 1/2 months for the entire process. It seems mere luck with the dates.

Anyways I am finally done with my journey........ :)
Did they give written questions? Were they MC questions, like the ones on USCIS web page? I am just anxious about the upcoming interview. What documents did they see?
Thnks.

Sent to TSC on 4/17. Recd on 4/19. Check cleared on 4/20. No receipt until today. Any idea why? Anyone on the same boat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who to call

I got my interview, but my wife's letter is not here yet.

When I check the status online or in the phone system, it says it cannot be found.. Is there a # where I can talk to a human ?

went for an interview on jan 05,2006

I went to Charlotte for citizenship interview on 5th jan, 2006 and the officer had told me that I would hear from them in a month but I did not. When I went back there to see what is going on they said that the case is under review...... it is now 5 months almost to that incident. Anybody with similar situation? What should I do?

Completed my interview today.. So here are the details.

Reached the USCIS almost 45 mins in advance to avoid traffic. Security asked me to wait outside until it was well within 15 minutes of my appt. As with any federal building, after turning off all cell phones, etc, we were sent into an appointment room where I waited 30 mins past my scheduled time.

Officer called my name and led me to her office. She asked me to take out the GreenCard and Drivers License. I also put my passport in front of her, but I dont remember her looking at it in detail. She went through every line of the N400 application asking me about any changes etc., and updated the recent trip I have taken out of the country.

After the application review, she asked me 5 questions from the 100 and asked me to write a simple sentence and read a small paragraph from a page that she provided me.

She gave me 2 documents to look over and make sure that my name was correct etc., asked me to write my name on the photographs, sign some documents and gave me a document indicating that I passed all requirements for citizenship. Then the file was given to another officer that reviewed her work and my name was called again and was given an appt document for the Oath Ceremony.

For me, the oath was the same day but 4 hours after my interview... we were all led into a room and then handed packages with a flag, message from the president etc., and the officer went through details of what it means to be a citizen and the rights etc. Some one from a women league of voters explained the registration process, and the officer explained the process to obtain a Passport and how to bring your relatives to the US, how to naturalize your children etc...

We all took the oath as a group, and then recited the pledge of allegiance after which we were shown a video message from the president and given our citizenship certificates.

My next visit was to the postoffice, where I was able to complete the expedited passport request within 45 minutes, they had the photograph equipment etc. and everything was a breeze. Dont forget to make a copy of your citizenship certificate, It will be taken away by the passport office.

One thing I noticed this time around in the USCIS office compared to my GC process in charlotte is that people were extra friendly and very warm through out the process. Of course, security folks were doing their job ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulation!

You said the officer went through every line of the N400 application, did she really ask you every line on N-400? I was wondering how long will that take.

I initially thought the officer only select some questions from N-400 to ask, am I wrong?

Did your wife get interview? Are kids allowed in the interview room?

Thanks.

My:
RD: 04/18/06
PD: 04/18/06
FD: 05/20/06

Wife:
RD: 05/01/06
PD: 05/01/06
FD: 06/08/06 but since wife had accompanied me on 05/20/06, officer allowed to take her fingerprints as well to avoid another trip to charlotte.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Application Service Center in Charlotte. Staff was prompt and we were done in < 30 mins. Quite different from our GC interview experience. Also noticed that most of the staff was immigrant - they must have gone through similar experience and understand the pain. :)

Hope they are prompt with interview date and oath as well.

Status missing

UB215,
Me and my wife submitted the app at the same time, FP'd same time. I got the interview but my wife's application case status is missing in USCIS website. I read you had teh same problem, but you gave a link to talk to USCIS. I am just woriied that may be we lost the interview notice for my wife in mail

rxrajan said:
UB215,
Me and my wife submitted the app at the same time, FP'd same time. I got the interview but my wife's application case status is missing in USCIS website. I read you had teh same problem, but you gave a link to talk to USCIS. I am just woriied that may be we lost the interview notice for my wife in mail

I would take a Info Pass Appointment for ur wife and they might be able to print it...or u can call the IIO and tell them that u have the same date and ur interview letter is lost and they will transfer u to Immigration officer in which case u can tell abt ur wife case and she might be able to send u new interview notice...Infopass is still a best option if ur interview date is closer...