Charlotte, NC - N-400 Timeline

Thank you Bobsmyth! Yes, it's encouraging indeed that the FP was scheduled pretty quickly. I'm hoping that the rest of the process will go as quickly but I will not put my hopes up too high considering there are plenty of others in front of me who are still waiting on their ILs.

Congrats eau_xplain ..good to see that Charlotte is sending out FP within 1 month of PD.
As I understand, all FP appointment letters are coming from NBC these days (not from Charlotte). It looks like it is already pretty common to have FP in 1-2 months after submitting the application form. It is very encouraging.

my interview experience

I had my interview at 9:50AM today. I reached the USCIS office around 9:10AM. I could not find any parking space. I had to park in a US military processing facility that is right across the USCIS office.

After I went through the metal detector, the security guy asked me to wait in the Appointments hall for my name to be called.

My name was called on time. The interview officer was polite and courteous. She took me into her office and made me take an oath that I would answer all questions truthfully. Then she asked to see my green card, driver's license and passport.

Then, she tested whether I could read and write in English. Next she took the civics test. She asked me the following questions: 1) Name the two major political parties in the US 2) Where is the White House located 3) Who is the chief justice of the Supreme court 4) What did Emancipation Proclamation do. I can't remember the last two questions. Then she reviewed my entire application along with me. When she asked me whether I committed any crime or offense for which I did not get arrested, I told her that I got a speeding ticket in May 2006. She said that it is just a minor infraction and not to worry. She asked me to sign on my photographs. She then approved the application and gave me a letter indicating the same. She told me that there was an oath ceremony on September 13th morning and asked me if I could make it. I told her that it was not a problem. She told me that my file needs to be reviewed by another officer (just to make sure that my application was complete with all necessary papers and that she did not overlook anything) before my application is finally approved and I am given the oath confirmation letter. She told me to wait in the Appointments hall while this was done. This entire process took about 15 minutes.

I went back to the Appointments hall and there were quite a few people like me waiting for the oath confirmation letter. After waiting for about a couple of hours, the interview officer came again and gave my the oath confirmation letter for September 13th. She asked me if I had any questions and I told her that I did not have any. She then told me that I was free to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Manny1971..good to see that Charlotte is hosting oaths on Saturday. Must be a big push before elections to schedule as many as possible.

Congratulations man, that is very good news to walk out of your interview with an approval and an oath letter.

Congratulations!

I had my interview at 9:50AM today. I reached the USCIS office around 9:10AM. I could not find any parking space. I had to park in a US military processing facility that is right across the USCIS office.

After I went through the metal detector, the security guy asked me to wait in the Appointments hall for my name to be called.

My name was called on time. The interview officer was polite and courteous. She took me into her office and made me take an oath that I would answer all questions truthfully. Then she asked to see my green card, driver's license and passport.

Then, she tested whether I could read and write in English. Next she took the civics test. She asked me the following questions: 1) Name the two major political parties in the US 2) Where is the White House located 3) Who is the chief justice of the Supreme court 4) What did Emancipation Proclamation do. I can't remember the last two questions. Then she reviewed my entire application along with me. When she asked me whether I committed any crime or offense for which I did not get arrested, I told her that I got a speeding ticket in May 2006. She said that it is just a minor infraction and not to worry. She asked me to sign on my photographs. She then approved the application and gave me a letter indicating the same. She told me that there was an oath ceremony on September 13th morning and asked me if I could make it. I told her that it was not a problem. She told me that my file needs to be reviewed by another officer (just to make sure that my application was complete with all necessary papers and that she did not overlook anything) before my application is finally approved and I am given the oath confirmation letter. She told me to wait in the Appointments hall while this was done. This entire process took about 15 minutes.

I went back to the Appointments hall and there were quite a few people like me waiting for the oath confirmation letter. After waiting for about a couple of hours, the interview officer came again and gave my the oath confirmation letter for September 13th. She asked me if I had any questions and I told her that I did not have any. She then told me that I was free to go.

Congratulations!!!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and timeline. It's good to know that the Charlotte DO is moving after all.

Congratulations. I have the feeling like I moved to the wrong place at the wrong time. If I was to stay in Charlotte, I would have had my interview letter probably within the next 2 months, by looking at people's timeline.

Congratulations. I have the feeling like I moved to the wrong place at the wrong time. If I was to stay in Charlotte, I would have had my interview letter probably within the next 2 months, by looking at people's timeline.

I have to second that. My PD is 01/29/08 & FP done on 03/25/08. If Charlotte had my files, I would have had an interview by now.

Sucks

I hope that they get the Durham office sorted out. It does look like things are speeding up in Charlotte because of the opening up of the 2nd office. If the trend continues, I'm hoping that I get interviewed by March. I think it would be wonderful if I take oath on my husband's birthday in April!

manny1971

Hi

Congrats Manny, I have my Interview in Oct. Silly question maybe but..
After handing in your 'Green card' at the interview, can you leave & return to the USA before you obtain a USA passport. I have a family wedding late November and had not thought (stupid) about getting in 7 out of the country

Regards
Kas

Hi

After handing in your 'Green card' at the interview, can you leave & return to the USA before you obtain a USA passport. I have a family wedding late November and had not thought (stupid) about getting in 7 out of the country

Regards
Kas

You show your green card at the interview, but they don't keep it. They only take it for good during the oath ceremony (Which in some locations can occur on the same day as your interview). At that time, you will receive your naturalization certificate and you will be officially a US Citizen. You can apply for passport that day. If your trip is in Canada, you can use the Nat certificate with your state picture ID. If you are traveling by air, then you can try to get a US Passport faster at one of the Regional Passport agencies. The turn around time, when you go there with proof of travel can be as fast as within hours (If I trust some people in this forum).

Hi

Regards
Kas

What fbanna79 has said is correct. You will have to surrender your green card at the time of the oath ceremony, not the interview.

If you fly abroad after you surrendering your green card, you will need a US passport to re-enter the country. It typically takes about 3 weeks to get the passport. But you can pay an extra $60 to expedite your application and get it under 2 weeks. Well, there are situations in which people need to travel sooner than that. At the oath ceremony, the USCIS officer told us that there is a passport issuing office in Washington, DC that issues passports the same day. But, they process only a limited number of applications every day and it is on a first come first served basis.

Remember that depending on the country that you are traveling to, you will also need to obtain a visa for that country.

Manny1971, you did not tell us how the oath ceremony was... number of attendees, special informations, and of course, how happy you were to be a US Citizen

Manny1971, you did not tell us how the oath ceremony was... number of attendees, special informations, and of course, how happy you were to be a US Citizen

I had the oath ceremony last Saturday (09/13). It was an Administrative Ceremony and we were administered the oath by the USCIS Charlotte Field Office Director. It seems that people who requested name change as a part of the citizenship application have to attend a Judicial Ceremony presided by a federal judge. The ceremony was at the Halton Theater in CPCC (Charlotte). About 376 applicants from about 78 different countries were administered oath and became naturalized citizens.

We were asked to report at 8:30 am. We were asked to form two separate lines. At 8:30 am, the USCIS staff checked whether we had all the documents (green card and oath letter) for the oath and directed us (based on our last name) to one of the four/five desks that were manned by USCIS staff. At the desk, they collected our green cards, gave our naturalization certificates and a welcome kit and directed us into the center of the theater.

Even though most of the applicants were there by 9am, the ceremony did not begin until 10 am. Until then, the USCIS Charlotte Field Office Director and USCIS Charlotte Field Office Citizenship Unit supervisor, answered questions from the soon to be citizens on a variety on immigration topics - applying for passports, petitioning for relatives to come to US, K1/K3 visas, naturalization process for dependents, etc. At 10 am, the ceremony began with a welcome speech by the USCIS Charlotte Field Office Director. Then they showed a short video on the story of immigrants to USA. Then there was a key note address by the CPCC President. After that, we were administered oath and then shown an address by President Bush. The USCIS Charlotte Field Office Director then gave a closing remarks speech and that officially concluded the ceremony. After that speech, a lady from the Women's Leauge told us how to fill out the voter registration form. And then, we were free to go. The ceremony was over by 10:30 am.

It was a long road from coming here on a H1 visa to finally becoming a citizen. It took about 11 and half years to get to this point. I am happy that it is finally over and that I can vote in the coming election.

Friends,

Charlotte - DO too late for transfering file also to other DO? any idea?
Atalanta - DO put a request on AUg 12 to transfer my file. So far, even nobody assigned to that request @ charlotte. that is the update I am getting
thru Customer support number & thru INfopass @ Atlanta, DO last week also. they just telling to wait. Is it normal? any ideas? How many days generally took to transfer file to other DO? Is it necessary for me to get Infopass @ charlotte also? thanx..

N400 Sent...........09/07/07....From charlotte, NC
FP Appointment.......02/22/08
MOved to Atlanta....06/21/08
Address updated on USCIS system...06/24/08
IL received for charlotte (Oct 15).....08/16/08 ( Mistake from USCIS side)
Working on file tranfer from charlotte to Atlanta