Baltimore transfer at 8/6 (RD 1/16/2002)

Hi gc4us,
Congrats for the approval. If you decide to go to Baltimore as glenMD suggested I will suggest you to obtain a receipt for the documents you will submit to explain why you will not appear for the EAD interview.

Congrats gc4us!!
As to your EAD interview....I would be very careful...I agree with glenmd and saurnav that you definitely should do something about it....
maybe you could go on 21st and explain them (show approval) and try to stamp your passports instead? I think they do 'biometric' for EAD and also for stamping..maybe this is same place and thus you could get your stamping faster :)

Hi GlenMD, gc4us and others who were interviewed recently at Baltimore:

I have a question: Is the officer at the interview always asking "what was the last date of arrival in the US" and if the officer is taking the answer very seriously?

Why I am asking this bacaue I have given my first entry date into US as the last arrival date although I visited Canada for a short Naigra trip by road for two days after I first entered into USA. The entry date into Canada (at the back of Canadian visa) is marked on my old passport but the return date into the US is not marked (this is one of the reason I missed out to report this date as the last date of arrival). There was no excange of I-94. So the I-94 remained same as when I first landed. The officer at the border just inspected the valid US visa and let me enter into the usa. I can only recollect from memory the return date into the USA from Canada, I do not have any other way to show when I returned. Although I think the date I returnd from Niagra should have been my last date of arrival but thinking that for all practical puposes I think the date I landed here at an airport may be a more appropriate arrival date as that is the day I was given a I-94 and started working here on an H1, and a short vacation of 2 days in Canada may be irrelevant.

Will highly appreciate your thought on how I should handle a question on this. I had previously asked a similar question and Ginnu responded that I explain the situation if asked. But if I am asked shall I have to give all the story or just say the date I returned from Canada. And let the officer find out that it is different from the one given in 485 and let the discussion follow. Can this become an issue. Please advice. Thanks.

glenmd said:
Congrats GC4US,

That is really good to hear.

What i was thinking, you can prepare a letter attaching the i-485 approval and probably go to Baltimore centre and handover them and explain the situation right there. I think that is more peaceful approach as you can clarify then and there itself (if at all the IIO is having any doubts, which i doubt he will have).But it is totally questionable how the system is integrated.......

Just a small clarification. Did they send the approval letter or Form I - 797C.

If it is just a approval letter(which i am expecting). Is it sent from the immigration officer who interviewed you. or by the service director.

You may be wondering about the questions. One of my friend got also the approval letter from Baltimore office for his interview. The letter was from the center director. It looked like a simple letter sent from Baltimore office(it has the seal of USCIS). Also it was not signed by the District director.

Can you please clarify and i will pass on this to my friend.

Thanks
GlenMD

Thanks a lot GlenMD. That sounds logical. I am out of station during Apr-21, 22, 23, 24. Maybe I should try an earlier date or cancel my trip... :(
I have heard cases where they decline EAD appn when 485 is approved. This is totally strange... :(

As for the letter, it is just a plain formal letter from the "District Director". No signature.... and it is definitely not I-797 form.
At the end, it says,
"If you need temporary evidence of your permanent resident status prior to receiving your card, you may make an infopass appointmet to bring this letter to our information counter, located at the above address, to receive a stamp reflecting your new status in your passport."

My EAD expires on May-05-2005. I am trying to fix an appointment around May-02, 03 for our PP stamping. Best case, we should get our cards by then and i don't have to get the book stamped. If not I will have to go and get it stamped for my employment eligibility.:(

Good luck with your endeavours and wishing a speedy arrival of your letter and a smooth sail for all our friends waiting for their turns...

Regards
V!

saurnav said:
Hi GlenMD, gc4us and others who were interviewed recently at Baltimore:

I have a question: Is the officer at the interview always asking "what was the last date of arrival in the US" and if the officer is taking the answer very seriously?

==Yes, she asked the question and then i just told month & year. But then she asked me whether i know the date also. then i remembered and told her about that.she ticked in the I-485 application.

One more thing i observed is that, she ticked and verified whatever i answered to the application which we had sent at the time of I-485 application.

Why I am asking this bacaue I have given my first entry date into US as the last arrival date although I visited Canada for a short Naigra trip by road for two days after I first entered into USA. The entry date into Canada (at the back of Canadian visa) is marked on my old passport but the return date into the US is not marked (this is one of the reason I missed out to report this date as the last date of arrival). There was no excange of I-94. So the I-94 remained same as when I first landed. The officer at the border just inspected the valid US visa and let me enter into the usa. I can only recollect from memory the return date into the USA from Canada, I do not have any other way to show when I returned. Although I think the date I returnd from Niagra should have been my last date of arrival but thinking that for all practical puposes I think the date I landed here at an airport may be a more appropriate arrival date as that is the day I was given a I-94 and started working here on an H1, and a short vacation of 2 days in Canada may be irrelevant.

Will highly appreciate your thought on how I should handle a question on this. I had previously asked a similar question and Ginnu responded that I explain the situation if asked. But if I am asked shall I have to give all the story or just say the date I returned from Canada. And let the officer find out that it is different from the one given in 485 and let the discussion follow. Can this become an issue. Please advice.

===As per my attorney's office, they told me always to explain it and it will not be a problem. As my attorney(Rajiv khanna, he only told that he cannot be in favour of me at the time of interview if i told a different story other than the real. So when i was thinking about that. so I didnt had the courage of ignoring it. so please say the truth. But dont make it a big story, just be precise. very precise. no less or no more. this is the thumb rule(If i am correct...). So if i were you, i would take the tickets copy if you have and also if you any credit card payments which you made in the hotel. so documentation (if possible original + copies )and explain to her if she asks. This is my opinion....

For us, the officer was interested in checking the validity of the I-94. I was on my 7th year and halfway through, switched to my EAD. So he asked for our 7th year I-94, which was just the approval package with I-129 [I-797]. Initially we gave the Bottom-right-hand portion from the I-129. He asked for the Bottom-Left portion as well, because that is what has the validity period. We had that also with us and therefore took care of it.

As for answering in detail, I concur with GlenMD and various others in these threads...... Do not tell what you are not asked for. Don't overload them with too much information either. Just simple answers. If he/she asks more about a document or item, then try to add value.

My guess is that the officer will not dive deeper into these. But be ready with required answers/docs, just in case.

Good luck,
V!!

compass said:
Congrats gc4us!!
As to your EAD interview....I would be very careful...I agree with glenmd and saurnav that you definitely should do something about it....
maybe you could go on 21st and explain them (show approval) and try to stamp your passports instead? I think they do 'biometric' for EAD and also for stamping..maybe this is same place and thus you could get your stamping faster :)

Thanks for clearing this up compass, GlenMD, Saurnav...... Nice of you to spare some time...

Another update.... I called the NSC number and asked them about this..... Got a cute answer...
"If you don't have proof of Permanent Residency (I-551 stamping or The Card:) ), then you need to satisfy all queries about EAD/AP interviews".
In short, I cannot afford to just send a reply and relax. Not after coming this far. One can never be sure of what twists and turns can happen while dealing with USCIS. I have decided to go to Baltimore on Apr-21 and then take it from there. As compass mentioned.... if all goes well, i might get the stamping on the same day as well.... :) :) [Wishful.... :rolleyes: ]

Just hoping that they don't send an interview letter :) for my wife's EAD or send that letter for the same date :)
If it is on a different date :( ..... ..... well.... just got to do what you got to do.....

Cheers!!
V!

GlenMD:
Thanks for your helpful response. I do not have any records of that trip, it was long back. However, I have collected three biweekly pay stubs which covers the trip and also two weeks before and after. Do you think these pay stubs will do the job. Thanks.

gc4us:

Thanks for your reply. So you are saying that I just say the date I returned from Canada as the last arrival date and then wait and see what the officer says and proceed further to answer further questioins, and explain the situation if required.

One suggestion for, keep trying to get infopass. You might get a date much earlier than that. If you have already taken infopaas on your name you can take the next one on your wife's name. In my experience I had an appointment for a question on my case scheduled two weeks from the day I was trying. I took that appointment and then kept trying to get another appointment on my wife's name, and it worked I got for the next day. Although this time you will need an appointment for stamping your passport, a very different reason, I guess you may still find a slot much earlier than what you have. People keep cancelling their appointment and you might get a free slot. You have to try hard - try all the time repeatedly when you can find some time. If you get one then you can get your passport stamped before the date of interview for EADs.

please advise

hi
glenMD/gurus please advise

recevied notice today of case being transfered to local office.
is there any way to find out the reason for the transfer.
can my lawyer find out before the interview the reason which triggred the interview rather than a direct approval for 485.

what to expect when you go for the interview.

please help

saurnav said:
gc4us:
Thanks for your reply. So you are saying that I just say the date I returned from Canada as the last arrival date and then wait and see what the officer says and proceed further to answer further questioins, and explain the situation if required.

--- My gut feeling is that you will not have any issues by going with what is in your 485 application. As GlenMD pointed out [and from my experience] most of the time, they only look into your application and forms in their file and check if your answers match with what you have stated in those applications... [I-140, I-485] et al. [If you have a copy of those or can get from your attorney, well and good...]
I had similar concerns with my Wife's birth certificate as the birth place did not match with what is in the passport. I tried to get it updated at the Indian embassy and they gave a hard time. Finally I gave up and decided to try and explain to the officer if ever he/she raised this question. Fortunately it was never an issue. He asked the date of birth and verified if it matched with what was in the application. As we had submitted only one affidavit during 485 filing, he asked if we had one more affidavit. As we had her BC by the interview time, we gave a copy and he was happy to add it to his file. Topic closed:)

saurnav said:
One suggestion for, keep trying to get infopass. You might get a date much earlier than that. If you have already taken infopaas on your name you can take the next one on your wife's name. In my experience I had an appointment for a question on my case scheduled two weeks from the day I was trying. I took that appointment and then kept trying to get another appointment on my wife's name, and it worked I got for the next day. Although this time you will need an appointment for stamping your passport, a very different reason, I guess you may still find a slot much earlier than what you have. People keep cancelling their appointment and you might get a free slot. You have to try hard - try all the time repeatedly when you can find some time. If you get one then you can get your passport stamped before the date of interview for EADs.

That is really a good suggestion. Guess what, today my wife received her EAD interview letter and luckily it is on Apr-21-2005 at 9:00 AM. Now we are trying to get an early appointment like you suggested. Earlier we both had Apr-25-2005 appointments for PP stamping. I cancelled them and now trying hard for the "Lucky" break...

Let us know if you need any other replies...
Good luck and God Bless :)
V!

I got the approval letter from Baltimore office. I got the appointment for Infopass on Apr 27th 2005.

My lawyer also got the the approval letter from Baltimore office.

Still waiting for my wife's approval letter. I am thinking probably within a week, I should get it.

Thanks
GlenMD

GlenMD: Congrats on your approval. Hope your wife also gets her approval quickly.

gc4us: good luck with your effort for getting an early infopass and thanks for your helpful comments.

CUSTODY1234 said:
hi
glenMD/gurus please advise

recevied notice today of case being transfered to local office.
is there any way to find out the reason for the transfer.
=== As of now, we have not seen a way to find out the reason for the interview. I am not optimistic of whether you can really find out that......
can my lawyer find out before the interview the reason which triggred the interview rather than a direct approval for 485.
==== He also will not able to find out the reason for the interview. Again you can request your lawyer and check what he says about it.

what to expect when you go for the interview.
====you can analyze your case and check in this Forum(Real experienced valueable pieces of stories...) and come to a conclusion of the reason of transfer. As that will help in preparing for the interview..... So it is worth the approach....

please help

glenmd said:
I got the approval letter from Baltimore office. I got the appointment for Infopass on Apr 27th 2005.

My lawyer also got the the approval letter from Baltimore office.

Still waiting for my wife's approval letter. I am thinking probably within a week, I should get it.

Thanks
GlenMD

Congratulations once again..... and wishing a speedy approval letter mail for your wife as well.

Good luck with your future endeavours...

saurnav said:
GlenMD: Congrats on your approval. Hope your wife also gets her approval quickly.

gc4us: good luck with your effort for getting an early infopass and thanks for your helpful comments.

Saurnav,
Thanks for your wishes.... and the practical suggestion to keep trying ....
In the past, I never thought it would work.... But since attempting from last night..... I just hit the jackpot for my appointment and it is for Apr-18-2005 at 3:30 PM..... This one is for the PP stamping.
I guess, i can also clarify the EAD interview question at that time.
I/Wife are trying hard for her appointment as well. Last resort, thinking of going together and explaining the situation.... Hope they let us in and get it cleared up...:) :)

What time is your interview on 18th.....??

Good luck again and God Bless,
V!

Hi gc4us,
Thanks for all your wishes. I was concerned as you had cancelled your earlier appointment, but thank god you got it on 18th. Keep trying you might hit another one for your wife. Is it not that one appointment will be good for the entire family? I am sure when you go for your pp stamping they should do for your wife or at least they will tell you as what needs to be done with EAD interviews. My interview is at 8.15 am.