Atlanta Local Office Processing

Need advice

VSC transferred my self and my family I-485 files to Atlanta on 09/27/2004 but I lived in Washington DC from past 5 years and I never lived in Atlanta. I don't know why they transferred to Atlanta. Me and my attorney tried many ways to get files over here like sending fax letters, Expedite requests and letters in mail but no use. Still my files are sitting in Atlanta. We went DC office to make a request file transfer from ATL to WAS even I want today with family they are saying that files are in Atlanta we can not do anything until we receive files. I don't know what should I do? could you please give some idea how to proceed to get files or else should I go Atlanta for interview .I don't know how long it will take. Please advice me

Here is my story after file transfer: I went DC office a month back to check file status, they made a file transfer request on my file but they did not make request on my wife and daughter because that time they are not present. Again today I went to DC office they gave three tickets one for me, one for my wife and one for my daughter. We went two different officers and we got two different answerers. My wife went to first officer he was told file is in Atlanta it may come any time but mean time you should finish finger print and he put request on my wife file transfer. My daughter & me went to second office he was told us your files are in Atlanta under investigation and he was told other officer (they are side by side cubes) don’t do anything he took back fingerprint notice also (I was so mad). I was asked officer why don’t you put a request on my wife and daughter files but he said it is not required because all files are together since you are the primary applicant one request is enough. Just few mints back I called VSC and spoke with immigration office( not representative) and I was told all my story he was very nice guy he told me files are in Atlanta but there is request on your file but not on your family files and he suggested send expedite request to Atlanta office ,which I already did two times

I-485 RD :06/24/02
ND:06/26/02
FP:08/30/02
TD :09/27/04
FP2:?????
AD:????

Last edited by a moderator:
mkris99 said:
VSC transferred my self and my family I-485 files to Atlanta on 09/27/2004 but I lived in Washington DC from past 5 years and I never lived in Atlanta. I don't know why they transferred to Atlanta.

The good news is that based on your original RD, Atlanta should look at the case within a few weeks. Have you considered asking your US Representative or Senator's office for assistance? They are pretty useless for expedites but you should be able to get a direct answer out of their office regarding this kind of screwup.

Unless DC is moving swiftly on interviews, if Atlanta offers you an interview I'd take it. When I was waiting for my interview I would have gone to Hawaii if it meant getting it over with.

mkris99, you need not worry too much. since you are the primary applicant both Altanta or DC will process your cases together. Don't worry if the transfer request has not been taken for you. Once they will see your wife's and daughter's information and they will realize that they should be adjudicated along with you, then automatically they will transfer your case. Now that you have requested case transfer you'll probably will be adjudicated in DC. Either way, you just have to wait for both the office to schedule you for an interview.

Real Canadian is correct. if you request local senator they will probably probe into the case more, but at this time you so close i would wait another month.

I think the best way to go ATL Local office, I strongly suggest have an app. for director of ATL local INS, you can get the this APP. through your Attorney if not contact major Attorney like Sheela or Rajiv.

I know it is pain in ass, The other alternative(which you might have done) is
Open a case with Notional Customer sevrice center phone number , if they don't agree to open a case , urgue to open the case or allow you to speak with immigration officer on phone.

I wish you all the best.

mkris99 said:
VSC transferred my self and my family I-485 files to Atlanta on 09/27/2004 but I lived in Washington DC from past 5 years and I never lived in Atlanta. I don't know why they transferred to Atlanta. Me and my attorney tried many ways to get files over here like sending fax letters, Expedite requests and letters in mail but no use. Still my files are sitting in Atlanta. We went DC office to make a request file transfer from ATL to WAS even I want today with family they are saying that files are in Atlanta we can not do anything until we receive files. I don't know what should I do? could you please give some idea how to proceed to get files or else should I go Atlanta for interview .I don't know how long it will take. Please advice me

Here is my story after file transfer: I went DC office a month back to check file status, they made a file transfer request on my file but they did not make request on my wife and daughter because that time they are not present. Again today I went to DC office they gave three tickets one for me, one for my wife and one for my daughter. We went two different officers and we got two different answerers. My wife went to first officer he was told file is in Atlanta it may come any time but mean time you should finish finger print and he put request on my wife file transfer. My daughter & me went to second office he was told us your files are in Atlanta under investigation and he was told other officer (they are side by side cubes) don’t do anything he took back fingerprint notice also (I was so mad). I was asked officer why don’t you put a request on my wife and daughter files but he said it is not required because all files are together since you are the primary applicant one request is enough. Just few mints back I called VSC and spoke with immigration office( not representative) and I was told all my story he was very nice guy he told me files are in Atlanta but there is request on your file but not on your family files and he suggested send expedite request to Atlanta office ,which I already did two times

I-485 RD :06/24/02
ND:06/26/02
FP:08/30/02
TD :09/27/04
FP2:?????
AD:????

Contacted local senator office

Thank you guys for your prompt responses, as Real Canadian said I spoke with Emily Evens from Office of Senator George Allen. She said that she is going to help on my case and will update in Jan 1st or 2nd week. I was sent a fax letter to her including all my case details. I hope we will see some action

Received Welcome notices

Today we received welome notices for all 4 of us. During interview on 12/14/04 me and my wife's passports were stamped. Interviewing officer did not stamp my sons (11 & 8 yrs) because security checks were not done for them. :)

Really cool RSK1

So, you would get the cards by this friday.

A question for you...
After how many days of the Transfer, you received the letter for Interview from USCIS (Atlanta).

Thanks

PremChopra said:
So, you would get the cards by this friday.

A question for you...
After how many days of the Transfer, you received the letter for Interview from USCIS (Atlanta).

Thanks

Prem,
I got all the cards today with another set of welcome notices. My wife got 4 welcome notices. Anyway after transfer on 9/9/04, we got FP notices from ASC on 10/19/04, although 2nd FP were done on 7/16. On 10/26 or 10/27 we received interview notices. hopefully you should get your notices in next 2 weeks.

We got our cards yesterday, about 3 weeks after they were applied for. It's been a long journey for me (4.5 years, 2.5 years after I-485), though not as long as it was for some.

If there is one lesson from my experience, please don't take $hit from the USCIS. If you feel that you were treated badly, ask your lawyer to file a complaint.

Thanks to everyone here for the support and the practical advice. I'll pray that everyone gets it soon. I'll keep dropping in as time permits.

Regards

Guys,
I got the interview letter and the interview is on 15th Feb. I am going through that anxiety period as some of you would have experienced in your cases. I was reading all those previous posts by RC and others. I think I should have very less questions.

But anyway I will ask my share of questions after I get together all the documentation together this weekend.

PremChopra said:
Guys,
I got the interview letter and the interview is on 15th Feb. I am going through that anxiety period as some of you would have experienced in your cases. I was reading all those previous posts by RC and others. I think I should have very less questions.

But anyway I will ask my share of questions after I get together all the documentation together this weekend.

Congratulations..Let me know your officer. Ours were F and her last name also starts with F.

question about past vs. current vs. future EVL

I'm not in Atlanta but my case has been transferred to Phoenix. You guys have a great thread going here with good interview stories and advice.

My situation is this: Worked for intial petitioner (Company A) until after filing 140/485 (around Oct 2003). Leave of absense (Nov 2003). After getting EAD started to work for Company B (Feb 2004). Officially layed off at company A (Apr 2004). 140 was just approved after RFE at the end of Dec 2004. I have got a new job offer from Company C. The only reason I'm going with Company C for now is that they will sponsor a new labor and 140 while the other one is pending (in case of denial). I would prefer to go back to Company B after GC approval.

I'm thinking the case got transferred because my H1B with Company A expired in Mar 2004 and wasn't renewed. We didn't get a new I-94 until Jul 2004 with AP. Anyone have a similar ideas?

I think some of you mentioned that you supplied current employer EVL but you were going to work for a completely different company after approval. Is this going to cause problems later or even during the interview?

I'm ultra-paranoid at this point because we're so close to the finish line I'd hate to screw it up. :(

Thanks in advance for your posts

maybesomeday...

I think at time of interview the officer is mostly interested that you are working somewhere and you have a EVL in which they mention they are ready to hire you with a regular position with the same job responsibilites around the same salary for which you labor was approved.

Guys share your take on this.

RSK1 - Thanks for your comments, for me it's "officer H". I believe it's same as what FEB6361 had and GC00001 had, I read their posts and I keep on reading those again and again and also if they see this post I would request to share whatever advice they can.

Congrates,

I am still waiting for the interview letter. My file was transferred on Oct. 21/04, before yours. I do not understand why I haven't get anything from them yet. Would you please comment on this issue.

Thanks

hinket04 said:
Congrates,

I am still waiting for the interview letter. My file was transferred on Oct. 21/04, before yours. I do not understand why I haven't get anything from them yet. Would you please comment on this issue.

Thanks
If your original RD/ND of 485 has paased the dates for which ATL office is processing, then take a infopass appointment.

Thanks RSK1 for your prompt reply. I am a concurrent filer. Would you please advise me how long will it take. My online status is as follows:

Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On October 21, 2004, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to our office in ATLANTA, GA for them to schedule and conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. Our office in ATLANTA, GA will notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your case. If you need further information, please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.

RD: Aug. 31/04
ND: Sept. 9/04
EAD: Sept. 28/04
I-140 approved: Oct. 21/04
File Transferred to Atl: Oct. 21/04

PremChopra said:
maybesomeday...

I think at time of interview the officer is mostly interested that you are working somewhere and you have a EVL in which they mention they are ready to hire you with a regular position with the same job responsibilites around the same salary for which you labor was approved.

Guys share your take on this.

Thanks for the response.
That's what I'm hoping too but I've heard of others that changed jobs before their 140 was approved and were grilled during an interview. It would make sense that they would just care about the job you're going to start after the GC is the same as described in your LC. I don't know if anyone else has had to carry an EVL from a former employer to an interview. The other concern was if I pick completely new company to start with after the GC will that be an issue?

RealCanadian, Feb6361, tufan, RSK1 and other fellow members

My Labor was filed by "A" in March 2001, I joined "B" in Aug 2002 and working there since then, my labor got approved in Oct 2002. I applied for I-140/485 in Dec 2002.

I wanted to apply AC-21 but my attorney said, you should not give ideas to USCIS (I didn't have to give them any ideas, they already know I am working for "B" as I mentioned that in 485). After all the hoopla, my case got transferred to ATL. Now, I asked my attorney that my labor was applied in VA and I never worked in VA. He said I would be better off if I get an EVL from "B".

The real question, I can get EVL from both "A" and "B", what do you think what should I do and what intent I should show?

My attorney said if I take EVL from "A", the officer would ask for reasonable explanation as to why I am not working with them now, if anyone of you think that I should take EVL from "A", what would be a reasonable answer.

If I take EVL from "B", can officer give me hard time asking why I didn't apply for AC-21 and also if I take EVL from "B", Do I need a separate letter for AC-21?

Thanks to all of you for your time

PremChopra said:
My Labor was filed by "A" in March 2001, I joined "B" in Aug 2002 and working there since then, my labor got approved in Oct 2002. I applied for I-140/485 in Dec 2002.

I wanted to apply AC-21 but my attorney said, you should not give ideas to USCIS (I didn't have to give them any ideas, they already know I am working for "B" as I mentioned that in 485). After all the hoopla, my case got transferred to ATL. Now, I asked my attorney that my labor was applied in VA and I never worked in VA. He said I would be better off if I get an EVL from "B".

The real question, I can get EVL from both "A" and "B", what do you think what should I do and what intent I should show?

My attorney said if I take EVL from "A", the officer would ask for reasonable explanation as to why I am not working with them now, if anyone of you think that I should take EVL from "A", what would be a reasonable answer.

If I take EVL from "B", can officer give me hard time asking why I didn't apply for AC-21 and also if I take EVL from "B", Do I need a separate letter for AC-21?

Thanks to all of you for your time

Prem,
My case was 100 % similar to yours. My labor was approved in Aug 2001 from PA. At that time I was working in Atlanta. I-140 was filed 13 months after labor approval in Aug 2002. Here is the details officer asked me.
Q . Your I-140 was filed by company A.
A. Yes
Q. What is the company A business?
A. Computer application s/w development, s/w consulting
Q. For which company you work now?
A. Company B based in Atlanta
Q. Do you have EVL from company B?
A. Yes. Here is EVL and paystubs of last 6 month.
She saw letter for few seconds punched all the paper and filed. After that she worked on her PC for 5 minutes took 2 printouts, stamped & signed it. Then she stamped my passport. It all means that as long as you have proof of job, no problem. Although I carried the EVL from company A. But each officer has his or her own way of dealing. The reason I took the EVL from company A , in case she would have asked that whether still I have a offer from Company A. Filing paper of 140 had clearly mentioned that emloyment offer is applicable after GC approval.
Hope this will help you.

Interview

Can anyone please give me an idea as how long will it take. I am a concurrent filer.

My online status is as follows:

Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On October 21, 2004, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to our office in ATLANTA, GA for them to schedule and conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. Our office in ATLANTA, GA will notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your case. If you need further information, please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.

RD: Aug. 31/04
ND: Sept. 9/04
EAD: Sept. 28/04
I-140 approved: Oct. 21/04
File Transferred to Atl: Oct. 21/04