Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

my family had consultations with 4 nationally known lawyers about green card holder (former derivative asylee) renewing national passport and/or traveling to COP. 2 out of 4 lawyers said it would not be a problem, 1 said it likely won't be a problem. the 4th said it may be a problem depending on internal policies of a particular immigration office. some are very enforcement-oriented... I guess we'll see what happens later this year when they apply for citizenship..

my family had consultations with 4 nationally known lawyers about green card holder (former derivative asylee) renewing national passport and/or traveling to COP. 2 out of 4 lawyers said it would not be a problem, 1 said it likely won't be a problem. the 4th said it may be a problem depending on internal policies of a particular immigration office. some are very enforcement-oriented... I guess we'll see what happens later this year when they apply for citizenship..

Let me tell you with a straight face that it should not be a problem, unless you are doing some fancy business over there.

My mom got a re-interview letter today. They asked her to bring her passport, GC, ID, and proof of why she went to her COP. Has anyone else had this happen? She has letters from the hospital where here parents were admitted, but is there anything else she can take? Thanks.

I will not be too suprised if your mom ends up being deported. Good luck.

cafeconleche,

Let me ask you this:

1. Did your mom go to COP immediately after getting her green card? If so, there might be a problem.
  2. How long did your mom stayed in COP? If it is a long time, there might be an issue there.
  3. What did your mom claim to be in her asylum application? If she claimed to be some world-renowned figure like Mother Terresa, there could be a serious problem.

I hope this helps.

1. She went 2 years after GC was issued, and 8 years after asylum was approved.
2. She stayed between 1 and 2 months.
3. Of course not. She's a derivative asylee, and we are far from famous people.

1. She went 2 years after GC was issued, and 8 years after asylum was approved.
2. She stayed between 1 and 2 months.
3. Of course not. She's a derivative asylee, and we are far from famous people.

I would not be so worried about it. Maybe she did not explain to them carefully. Nothing can stop them doing an interview though. Have a lawyer sit with her.

Just to clarify: she stayed only once in COP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what you said, there is just no enough adverse facts for them to do anything. If that's what they want (re-interview), go for it. It looks your mom does not speak English well, you know, that might be a big mistake! At least try to get a better handle what they ask.

My mom speaks perfect English. That's not a problem. It's just the luck of the draw. The IO she got wanted to be thorough, and here we are. She has evidence that she felt compelled to make those trips, so she'll take those along with her and explain the situation.

Fake asylum applicant. She will be punished.

jeeesshh!!! what is wrong with you?! you have no idea what she is going through! what the circumstances of her case are! and have no idea the reasons why! so you most certainly have no right to judge her and be bitter! what you're doing is a passive version of the very persecution we all fled from! so don't even think about saying that this is a free country and you can say anything you want! have a little compassion for god's sake! i can't take this kind of attitude from people like you anymore!

Just passed my naturalization interview this morning. I was LPR based on asylum, went back to COP once for 14 days with renewed NP and never applied for travel document. It was never brought up during the interview. Overall, it was a quick and short interview.
Taking the oath later today at noon :)

Just passed my naturalization interview this morning. I was LPR based on asylum, went back to COP once for 14 days with renewed NP and never applied for travel document. It was never brought up during the interview. Overall, it was a quick and short interview.
Taking the oath later today at noon :)
Congrats yellowdarling.
Which DO was ?

Thank you.
It was in Seattle. I submitted my N-400 application on 1/20 and did the biometrics on 3/9.
Not bad as far as processing time.