Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Worries

Today I have received my NOA, but after reading A****te19 experience I'm worried. I have applied 3 months early. In this specific case 3 months are 92 days early and not 90 as ruled.

I'm very very confused. I'm an asylee applying for citizenship. My Permanent Resident says PR since August 31, 2004. I was told in this forum that based on the 5 years minus 90 days, I could be able to send my papers by June 2, 2009, which I did. Unfortunately I just received the papers back... for the second time!!! It says that if I'm seeking naturalization based on either: Been a lawful resident for (5) years, or a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years, and have been married to a US Citizen, that my time is not up.

In the first application I sent in February, in Part 2 of the N-400 application, I selected "D" Other". I said that I was applying based on Asylum granted in August 2005. Apparently that was not an appropriate answer and my papers were returned because I was ahead of time. When I asked for help thru this forum, a few people clarified the process to me and I was told to select "A": I have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years", and that I was not to give any additional information, because AS AN ASYLEE ONE IS COVERED FOR THE SPECIAL RULE OF 5 YEARS MINUS 90 DAYS, and the Permaent Resident card is back dated 1 year which counts towards starting the Naturalization process.

This is exactly what I followed. so I chose "A". Even though it is not yet the "REAL" 5 years, supposedly it is understood that I can apply because my Permanent Resident card says that I've been PR here since 2004.

The papers were delivered in Texas on June 2, the right day for the assumed time of 5 years minus 90 days. A week later all my papers are returned.This is what the attached letter with my returned documents says:
"In the case of an applicant subject to a requirement of continuous residence under section 316 (a) or 319(1), the application for naturalization may be filed up to 3 months before the date the applicant would first otherwise meet such continuous residence requirement. The information provided with your application indicates you have filed your application more than 3 months before meeting the residency requirement for the category selected. Therefore you are ineligible to file for naturalization at this time under the category selected. "

What is going on??? I taught that I was OK sending the papers now. My due date was June 2, 2009. What part is that I don't get? Could anyone please be so kind and confirm to me where the missing link may be?

Under what specific law and article and section is that an asylee could seek naturalization 4 years minus 90 days???? Is this a piece of information that I don't have right?

Would it be a bad idea if I resend my papers again with a clarificatory letter? If I'm not supposed to apply now, then when is it that I can apply ???

I just don't understand anymore. I'm honestly very stressed and I just don't get this thing stratight. Please help!!!!

I'm so furious that I want to resend the papers tomorrow morning with the attached clarificatory letter or "Other" clarificatory information, but I want to know if this could be something which may delay my case....

Last edited by a moderator:
This does not make any sense. I can see why they returned the first time but if you are saying that your PR date is since AUG 04 then you should have been fine the second time. The good thing is that at least they haven’t taken your money.
I am assuming you included copy of both front and backside of your green card. This time include a cover letter explaining that you are PR since AUG 31 2004 and that you are applying 90 days prior.

I think you should be fine, it’s possible the second time some idiot got your app who did not know the rules.

Good luck.

Time frame unclear

I'm very very confused. I'm an asylee applying for citizenship. My Permanent Resident says PR since August 31, 2004. I was told in this forum that based on the 5 years minus 90 days, I could be able to send my papers by June 2, 2009, which I did. Unfortunately I just received the papers back... for the second time!!! It says that if I'm seeking naturalization based on either: Been a lawful resident for (5) years, or a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years, and have been married to a US Citizen, that my time is not up.

In the first application I sent in February, in Part 2 of the N-400 application, I selected "D" Other". I said that I was applying based on Asylum granted in August 2005. Apparently that was not an appropriate answer and my papers were returned because I was ahead of time. When I asked for help thru this forum, a few people clarified the process to me and I was told to select "A": I have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years", and that I was not to give any additional information, because AS AN ASYLEE ONE IS COVERED FOR THE SPECIAL RULE OF 5 YEARS MINUS 90 DAYS, and the Permaent Resident card is back dated 1 year which counts towards starting the Naturalization process.

This is exactly what I followed. so I chose "A". Even though it is not yet the "REAL" 5 years, supposedly it is understood that I can apply because my Permanent Resident card says that I've been PR here since 2004.

The papers were delivered in Texas on June 2, the right day for the assumed time of 5 years minus 90 days. A week later all my papers are returned.This is what the attached letter with my returned documents says:
"In the case of an applicant subject to a requirement of continuous residence under section 316 (a) or 319(1), the application for naturalization may be filed up to 3 months before the date the applicant would first otherwise meet such continuous residence requirement. The information provided with your application indicates you have filed your application more than 3 months before meeting the residency requirement for the category selected. Therefore you are ineligible to file for naturalization at this time under the category selected. "

What is going on??? I taught that I was OK sending the papers now. My due date was June 2, 2009. What part is that I don't get? Could anyone please be so kind and confirm to me where the missing link may be?

Under what specific law and article and section is that an asylee could seek naturalization 4 years minus 90 days???? Is this a piece of information that I don't have right?

Would it be a bad idea if I resend my papers again with a clarificatory letter? If I'm not supposed to apply now, then when is it that I can apply ???

I just don't understand anymore. I'm honestly very stressed and I just don't get this thing stratight. Please help!!!!

I'm so furious that I want to resend the papers tomorrow morning with the attached clarificatory letter or "Other" clarificatory information, but I want to know if this could be something which may delay my case....

Hi CGIACOMO1012: If you have received Asylum on August 2005, you must to wait at least one year to apply for permanent resident. So your green card application can not be dated earlier than August 2006. Let's assume that your green card proccessing was ultra-fast (let me guess only 4 months processing) then you will be receiveing your green card no earlier than January 2007, so your green card should say: Resident since: January 2006 or later in the best case scenery.
Your 5 years period for citizenship can't be completed before January 2011
You may apply not earlier than 90 days before January 2011.

Conclusion: I believe USCIS made a typo when marking your green card resident since August 31, 2004

Hi CGIACOMO1012: If you have received Asylum on August 2005, you must to wait at least one year to apply for permanent resident. So your green card application can not be dated earlier than August 2006. Let's assume that your green card proccessing was ultra-fast (let me guess only 4 months processing) then you will be receiveing your green card no earlier than January 2007, so your green card should say: Resident since: January 2006 or later in the best case scenery.
Your 5 years period for citizenship can't be completed before January 2011
You may apply not earlier than 90 days before January 2011.

Conclusion: I believe USCIS made a typo when marking your green card resident since August 31, 2004
His GC was approved in 2005, not his asylum application. He obviously received asylum before 2005.

seeking opinion

hi, All.
i am new in the forums.
i was granted asylee status in 2003, then I got my green card in 2005.
i will fill out the N-400 at the end of 2009. i need to seek the opinion for question 27 and 28 in the Part10 on N-400 because when i entered the U.S, i don't have document, so i was detained by USCIS for removal proceedings. After i was released from custody, i applied for asylum in the immigration court. then my asylum case was granted by immigration judge.

1. how do i answer the question 27 and 28 in the Part10 on the N-400?

2. when i applied for asylum, i just sumited an informal birth certifacate(it is a birth registration booklet) because i can't go back COP to have formal birth certifacate or passport. Will the immigration officer ask me for the birth certifacate during the naturalization interview?

please help!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I see that in the signature some of you have the District Office, looking at the N-400 form there are just 2 places to send the forms (Arizona and Texas), what is the D/O for? How can I know mine? Is it the same as Local Office?

Anyone can answer the question above????

DO stand for district office--yes that is your local office.

Your application is sent in the first instance to a centralized location. they will do basic processing there. they will locate your immigration file, put your application on top of the file and then ship everything to your local office. The local office will interview you and decide your application.

I received interview letter today for Garden City on July 23, 2009. That is 3 days after 5-year anniversary of my permanent residency.

you may go anyday for FP
john
donnt think too much about where your application is vacationing,eventually will come back to you one day.patience is virtue..:)
send your 400 in priority mail.gets there in two days.no confusion.

Please let us know about your Interview. Best of luck.

Sorry, long time no see...

Hi everyone, Sorry I haven't visited this forum for quite a while.

Big congratz to Lolalai for becoming a proud US citizen. I hope we all can say that in the very near future. Good to see some old timers. Hey Lazer, Wantmygcnow, flashington, Kalvar and numerous others.
I just sent my application yesterday, although I could have mailed it 19 days ago. Call me lazy okay :p
I'll keep everyone posted as it progresses through different stages.

Hi everyone, Sorry I haven't visited this forum for quite a while.

Big congratz to Lolalai for becoming a proud US citizen. I hope we all can say that in the very near future. Good to see some old timers. Hey Lazer, Wantmygcnow, flashington, Kalvar and numerous others.
I just sent my application yesterday, although I could have mailed it 19 days ago. Call me lazy okay :p
I'll keep everyone posted as it progresses through different stages.

Hey Punjabi!

Good to hear from you. Yeah please keep us updated as to what happens to your application. wish you the best... :)

Hey

Hey Lazer good to hear from you and thanks for your best wishes. I see someone still spends their weekends in this forum ;) What would you do for fun when you become a US citizen? :p:D Just kidding..

hi, All.
i am new in the forums.
i was granted asylee status in 2003, then I got my green card in 2005.
i will fill out the N-400 at the end of 2009. i need to seek the opinion for question 27 and 28 in the Part10 on N-400 because when i entered the U.S, i don't have document, so i was detained by USCIS for removal proceedings. After i was released from custody, i applied for asylum in the immigration court. then my asylum case was granted by immigration judge.

1. how do i answer the question 27 and 28 in the Part10 on the N-400?

2. when i applied for asylum, i just sumited an informal birth certifacate(it is a birth registration booklet) because i can't go back COP to have formal birth certifacate or passport. Will the immigration officer ask me for the birth certifacate during the naturalization interview?

please help!!!!!!!!!!

you answer no to question 27 and yes to question 28. Then explain on a separate sheet of paper that you applied for and received asylum in front of the judge.

do not worry about the birth certificate.

I don't think they object to international travel - but they ask for the list of countries to ascertain whether or not you've been back to the COP. For example, visiting a neighboring country may cause a red flag to go up since it is easy for someone to sneak across the border to their COP. So they look for those kinds of things.

traveling to neighbor COP might be problem! Is it so? I am planning to go to neighboring country to see my parents.....interesting thing is my COP doesn't need visa to that neighboring country.
What might be the consequences?