• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2014 dv winners meet here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Binafana
ur says ur interview day is April 27. and April 27 is Sunday how come it is come to u by april 27 u have to correct it b/c the embassy is not working in Sunday
Dear johanyoyi
it's typing error my interview is april 29 i will correct it

Hello everyone :
Just to update you,i almost finish collecting all documents & authentication stuffs.my medical check up also took place in IOM & it was a matter of 2 days to check up .z first day for lab & x-ray & the second day for physical check up.based on it they(IOM) gave me an appointment to pick up cofirmation before 5 days from interview.generally almost everything seems good but i have one question plz.
Before 5 yrs i had another name and all my documents except university document are by my former name then i changed that name by court in 2008 GC and now i have court paper.the problem is, i didnt mention (indicate) unconsciously my former name in DS 230 form .does it has a problem during interview as far as i have a court paper?what shall i do?
Thank u in advance!

Hello everyone :
Just to update you,i almost finish collecting all documents & authentication stuffs.my medical check up also took place in IOM & it was a matter of 2 days to check up .z first day for lab & x-ray & the second day for physical check up.based on it they(IOM) gave me an appointment to pick up cofirmation before 5 days from interview.generally almost everything seems good but i have one question plz.
Before 5 yrs i had another name and all my documents except university document are by my former name then i changed that name by court in 2008 GC and now i have court paper.the problem is, i didnt mention (indicate) unconsciously my former name in DS 230 form .does it has a problem during interview as far as i have a court paper?what shall i do?
Thank u in advance!

Hi aby111,

Good that you have finalized your documents. As for the name, i don't think you had to mention your changed name on the DS form. If i were you i would have done same, you should present all your documents including your court paper. Let them go through it and give them the honest face yourself. I think you are safe.

Hello everyone :
Thank u in advance!

Yes, you should have indicated the previous name(s) on your forms under the section that says other names used. This is rather important.

Not disclosing the names may be viewed as if you're trying to hide something. The background checks they carry out is done using all the names you provide. I don't know what your CN is but if you haven't been scheduled for an interview at the moment, you should send updated forms, with the former names listed right away.

Yes, you should have indicated the previous name(s) on your forms under the section that says other names used. This is rather important.

Not disclosing the names may be viewed as if you're trying to hide something. The background checks they carry out is done using all the names you provide. I don't know what your CN is but if you haven't been scheduled for an interview at the moment, you should send updated forms, with the former names listed right away.

Dear Sm1smom, he no more uses the name. That place on the DS form is, i think, for other names still being used not for names changed by court.

Aby111, if I were you, I would send an email to KCC and ask them to add your old name to question 2 of DS 230. Tell them you omitted it earlier because you thought they meant names currently in use, but that you decided to add it just in case (which is the truth).

I think it's important to cross every T and dot every I. It won't cost you more than 5 minutes of your time and could be the difference between an approval or denial. Why risk it?

Their email is kccdv@state.gov. Make sure you also add your CN, your full name (last name, first and middle), and your date of birth to your email.

Oh I just realized that your interview is in a few days. Hm...in that case, I don't think there's anything KCC can do. Maybe you can email the embassy? Or else, maybe take an updated copy of DS230 to the interview and try to explain to the officer what happened before you sign the form.

Maybe others will have better suggestions.

Oh I just realized that your interview is in a few days. Hm...in that case, I don't think there's anything KCC can do. Maybe you can email the embassy? Or else, maybe take an updated copy of DS230 to the interview and try to explain to the officer what happened before you sign the form.

Maybe others will have better suggestions.

I would email KCC anyway - and print out the email. Then hopefully they will not make a big deal of it in the interview and they will just add the name there. The name should have been on the form.

thank you all guys for your advise all of your inputs are helpful.@ oromania :when i filled up the forms ,i understood the question like u understand .

about my problem,there is some body who knows about embassy things & consult DV winners for business .i told him about the problem that i face & asked him if i have to call to the embassy to get a solution;but he advised me that as far as i have the court paper,i dont need to call to the embassy and he said to me that to take the court paper with translation & to show them during interview.he reiterate me that this is not a big problem. i think this is better idea than sending an e-mail to KCC b/s i have already scheduled for an interview.what do u think guys?

Dear Sm1smom, he no more uses the name. That place on the DS form is, i think, for other names still being used not for names changed by court.

No Ormania, your interpretation is wrong. The section says "Other Names Used or Aliases". It's NOT only referring to other names still being used. That section is also for any other name(s) an applicant has used in the past regardless of wether the name was legally changed or not. It's important to make this clarification for the sake of others who may be wondering about this question also in the future or who may be in the same situation.

It's possible for a person to have committed some sort of crime under a previous name, then go ahead and legally change to a new name. That's the reason they want to know all the names an applicant has used in the past or is still using. The background check, like I wrote earlier, will be done with ALL the names, both past/old and new! Not disclosing previously used names could be viewed as immigration fraud.

In Aby's case, not much can be done at this stage since the interview is in a couple of days from what I understand. So just go for the interview and declare the name, explain the fact that you misinterpreted/misunderstood that section if asked about it.

For future applicants, please ensure you list all such names on your forms!

Aby111,

Here's my suggestion, fill out a new set of forms with the previously used name listed and take that form to your interview. When you're called to hand over your documents, which is going to be before you face the CO for the interview proper, inform the person collecting the forms about your situation and ask if it's ok to hand in a replacement form. Since you're taking appropriate steps to rectify this omission, they wouldn't consider you as trying to conceal relevant information to your case.

In addition to what sm1smom said, I think you should also see if you can get a police report that indicates you have no record under your previous name as well. It only takes 2 days max to do that, so if your interview is not on Monday or Tuesday, I think it's worth it.

In addition to what sm1smom said, I think you should also see if you can get a police report that indicates you have no record under your previous name as well. It only takes 2 days max to do that, so if your interview is not on Monday or Tuesday, I think it's worth it.

@Tew
why the need police clearance for both name isn't the finger print enough???

Ya i think the polise investigates by using finger print not by name.but if its needed to have z polise clearance by both names and if the polise working this kind of stuffs i will ask them.
Thank you everybody for your good advice

Yes it's with fingerprints so they should find any record under any name. However I was just thinking of how he can prove that he didn't conceal his name intentionally. It probably is unnecessary

Yes it's with fingerprints so they should find any record under any name. However I was just thinking of how he can prove that he didn't conceal his name intentionally. It probably is unnecessary
hi tew:
all my educational documents are by my previous name except university document.when i changed z name by the court before 5 yrs i went to ministry of education and asked them to change all my educational docs by my new name and they said to me that they are not working this kind of thing and told me that to take all docs with court paper.
this is the fact that i know every documents will be evaluated and investigated by the embassy during interview(that means including all documents with previous name )so,as far as this is known by everybody ,why need to conceal previous name?
i think this is logical & legally changing name is globally accepted stuff .

It's possible for a person to have committed some sort of crime under a previous name, then go ahead and legally change to a new name. That's the reason they want to know all the names an applicant has used in the past or is still using. The background check, like I wrote earlier, will be done with ALL the names, both past/old and new! Not disclosing previously used names could be viewed as immigration fraud.

In Aby's case, not much can be done at this stage since the interview is in a couple of days from what I understand. So just go for the interview and declare the

Am still not convinced much with the reasoning ( am convinced that he should have indicated though). We all know that if a person had done crime or not ( even the background check)will be known with the finger print, not name. And he has disclosed by bringing the court paper along other documents.

This will be a big learning case for all of us. I stick with the person who advised you to go along the documents and tell them all the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys i have a question for you, the medical examination is suppose to be valid for six months. but is it six months from the day you get your results or the day the examination is held? cuz there is some gap between them.

Am still not convinced much with the reasoning ( am convinced that he should have indicated though). We all know that if a person had done crime or not ( even the background check)will be known with the finger print, not name. And he has disclosed by bringing the court paper along other documents.

This will be a big learning case for all of us. I stick with the person who advised you to go along the documents and tell them all the truth.

Don't want to be argumentive ! But in my home country we don't use finger prints for police clereance, just the name . And I had done this way, the problem I have to redo it again because it expired already .

Status
Not open for further replies.