Affidavit of support for working spouse - Marriage Greencard

oljin1

Hello,

My wife is a US Citizen and she is filing for a green card for me. We have been married since March 2016. We know one of the documents we need to file is the affidavit of support. The issue is my wife is a student but I work. I make enough to satisfy the requirement for the two person household, how do we go about filing the affidavit?

Because the form is suppose to be filled by the petitioner (my wife). We also cannot get a co-sponsor because we do not have any relatives in the country that meet the co-sponsor requirement.

How do I file the affidavit stating that I will support our family?

P.S. I am currently working with my OPT which I received after graduating with a degree in Engineering

Your wife needs to complete an I-864. Your income can be included. Your information and income would be listed as "Person 1" (Part 6 #3-5), and would add together with your wife's income to form her house hold income. The box in Part 6 #17 would be checked and your name would go there. Although "household members" usually need to complete an I-864A to have their income counted, you do not need to complete an I-864A because you are the intending immigrant. You will need to attach a copy of pay stubs and (if possible) an employer letter to prove your current income. You will also need to attach a copy of your EAD and other OPT information to show that you are working legally.