• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

100,000 people who win DV2012 think algorithm = FAIR BUT...

I did not see your barcode, but the official instructions for DV-2012 and the speech of John Wilcock from Septmebr 27th do not mention 100,000 any more. I guess you barcode is incorrect. I mean not fake, just incorrect in this wording.

In *not* stating 100,000 that does not invalidate the approx. 100,000 number. What exactly made you believe it has changed? Still, according to law, 55,000 will be issued (50k + 5k)

Because they removed 100,000 from the wording. That means they do not know the amount of winners beforehands any more. Obviousely, because the process is changing. Anf the reason for that is family strategy. The number of visas will stay the same (50,000) though. But they need to figure out how many wins they need to fill the 50,000 quota for visas.

I'm curious, but what is your source for this? My thought would be, that they still would start processing CN#001 and as each visa bulletin comes out.. they just stop whenever the 50,000 is completed (taking into account spouses, minors etc)? And, if that is the case, I question them bringing the site down for 'technical difficulties'?

You're claiming that the site is down while they figure out 'family strategy'.. something doesn't rest with me about this.

You're claiming that the site is down while they figure out 'family strategy'..
Exactly. They need to know the number of winners, because they did not know that in September, and that is the only way to figure that out, because nothing has changed since September.

I don't get how they could 'know' that now, and not two weeks ago? Aside from processing received DSP/DS forms.. which I doubt is the case.

don't get how they could 'know' that now, and not two weeks ago? Aside from processing received DSP/DS forms.. which I doubt is the case.
Exactly. This is exactly the case. From those forms. And that is the reason why the site is down now.

I'm not so sure I'm won. From your DV entry, if filled out correctly, they could make a fair guess on your spouse + children #s, since it asked for this, no?

And you mentioned (on the other thread) that this downtime was 'planned' back in Sept. Where are you getting this info. from?

I'm not so sure I'm won. From your DV entry, if filled out correctly, they could make a fair guess on your spouse + children #s, since it asked for this, no?
You are your spouse could get 2 visas each, or just 1 visa each. That is up to you.

And you mentioned (on the other thread) that this downtime was 'planned' back in Sept. Where are you getting this info. from?
I provided the info. Official rules for DV-2012 and John Wilcock's speech.

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt you can get 'two visas each'.. please source that. Assuming you're speaking about Green Cards, under no circumstances can you have two different Green Cards for the same person. In addition a Green Card holder is not advised to enter the United States on a separate immigrant visa, other than their GC; as this could be seen as abandoning their LPR status.

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt you can get 'two visas each'.. please source that.
I can show you that it is legal to get an immigrant visa if you have a GC. However, about 2 visas is the sam as the question if it is legal to put your shoes under your pillow overnight. I can hardly show you the link on the net confirming this. But if you know the law, you would know there is none prohibiting it.

Assuming you're speaking about Green Cards, under no circumstances can you have two different Green Cards for the same person.
You can have a GC and enter on an immigrant visa in another category and bring dependents.

In addition a Green Card holder is not advised to enter the United States on a separate immigrant visa, other than their GC; as this could be seen as abandoning their LPR status.
Totally wrong. No abandoning is guaranteed.

I can show you that it is legal to get an immigrant visa if you have a GC. However, about 2 visas is the sam as the question if it is legal to put your shoes under your pillow overnight. I can hardly show you the link on the net confirming this. But if you know the law, you would know there is none prohibiting it.

You can have a GC and enter on an immigrant visa in another category and bring dependents.

Totally wrong. No abandoning is guaranteed.

Great, than since you know the law, you obviously had read that law :)
so please produce the link or document to prove this law allowing double green card :)

Please remember that once you enter on immigrant visa, that mean you will be getting a green card in your mail.
if you already have one green card, you can not get a second one :)

now you can bring your dependants if you have green cards but the process is long and hard,
but you still are holding that one single green card you had begun with.

the faster way is for you to upgrade to citizenship (after few years of being green card),
and once you had citizen, the process of bring your spouse or children is much faster :)

once again, please show us here how it is legal to get another immigrant visa after you have a GC.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87908.pdf

9 FAM 42.73 N2 ISSUING IMMIGRANT VISA
TO LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT (LPR)
(CT:VISA-1094; 10-31-2008)
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department have
agreed that a lawful permanent resident (LPR) alien is entitled to apply for
and, if qualified, may be issued an immigrant visa in any other visa
classification. For example, an immigrant who is admitted as a conditional
immigrant may at some future date qualify for a visa in an employmentbased
category and thus be admitted in a non-conditional status. The
consular officer shall not require the alien to relinquish Form I-551, Alien
Registration Receipt Card, as a condition for issuance of another immigrant
visa.

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt you can get 'two visas each'.. please source that. Assuming you're speaking about Green Cards, under no circumstances can you have two different Green Cards for the same person. In addition a Green Card holder is not advised to enter the United States on a separate immigrant visa, other than their GC; as this could be seen as abandoning their LPR status.

although we have different opinions regarding the selection process for DV2012,
but I totally agree with you on your statement above.

but on some special cases, I also agree with Raevsky in that you could start a process of getting another immigrant visa in another category if
it will lead you to a NON CONDITIONAL Green Card, and what you currently had is still a CONDITIONAL (with limitation) Permanent Residency.

the key word here is "another category" (other visa classification), meaning you can not be issued the same visa classification twice
and get two different green card as a result,
(ie in our case the same visa from DV Lottery), especially since the visa from DV Lottery lead to UNCONDITIONAL Green Card.

UNCONDITIONAL Green Card is already the highest grade out there and you can not upgrade your status further unless you want
to become CITIZEN of USA. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well perhaps they changed the parameter to the first couple of days. I've seen people on this board who one on October 11.. so its not just 5/6. I think people are just kicking up a fuss. We dont even have a right to a fair lottery, you don't seem to understand how law works. This is chance, and is an honor and pleasure even to get a chance to enter in to.. take it or leave it.

@ In Excess

You're saying that the draw is Unfair because only people who registered on the 5th and the 6th got selected.
But already 2 persons on this discussion said that people had win at different dates than the 5th and the 6th.
And still you're saying it is unfair, so now it is unfair because they choose people at different dates.

Really you don't make sense, you need another argument to be taken seriously

I did not see your barcode, but the official instructions for DV-2012 and the speech of John Wilcock from Septmebr 27th do not mention 100,000 any more. I guess you barcode is incorrect. I mean not fake, just incorrect in this wording.

Did you read the official instructions for DV2010 and DV2011? Neither of them mentions 100,000, or I may be wrong. They just say "more than 50,000" as in the official DV2012 Instruction. On top of that DV2010 1st NL says approx. 100,000, as in DV2012 selectee letter.

Based on your theory, they did not know the amount of winners beforehand, and they completed major changes in algorithm in DV2010, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I applied on Oct 5th and I won the DV2012. I did submit some applications in mid Oct for 2 friends and they were not selected.
Well, topic starter might have a point. For those who were not selected, better apply on the first day, I guess. Early worm gets the bird!