• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hi guys, I just don't get why ds-260 processing is not done by case number, but rather by submission date. Having submitted my ds-260s in July,and being current for December,I was expecting 2nl by now. All the same, might anyone know when KCC normally finishes processing majority of their cases?
You mean KCC should have put aside the DS260 forms with higher CNs which were submitted early (from May to June for instance) while waiting for people like you with lower CNs who submitted in July and beyond?

Hi everyone,

1. I've recently discovered that I have a couple of old email addresses that I was using a while back. I still have access to them but don't use them (only get some spam messages occasionally). Do you think it makes sense to unlock DS-260 to add those addresses?
2. I've also discovered an old instagram account that i created just for fun (to browse a bit), didn't post any content, though. I didn't add that account to my DS-260. So, I deleted the account but that was after I had submitted my DS-260. Do you think this could be a problem?

Thank you!
Previous response provided here back in early September still applies IMHO.

You mean KCC should have put aside the DS260 forms with higher CNs which were submitted early (from May to June for instance) while waiting for people like you with lower CNs who submitted in July and beyond?
I mean since its thousands of forms, and all are being submitted relatively early at the same time,why not start according to the numbers? So that everything matches with the visa bulletin?

1. I don’t think so.
2. No, it is not possible for your son to have a separate interview in Canada. He will need to join you and the rest of the family in Sri Lanka for the interview.
Hi Sm1smom

I just wrote to KCC yesterday regarding this clarification as I have submitted my sons DS 260 with an interview location in Canada whereas my Interview location is Sri Lanka ( I am the main applicant)

Below was my query to KCC

I am the main applicant who won the DV2023 from Sri Lanka.
My son who is added as a derivative in my application is currently in Canada. When submitting the DS-260 form for my son, I was able to select an interview location in Canada.
1) Can you clarify whether he can face an interview in Canada or does he mandatorily have to accompany me for my interview in Sri Lanka?
2) If he is able to join me in Sri Lanka for the interview, do I have to unlock my son's DS260 and change the location, or can I just keep it as it is?

And here is the answer I got from KCC today. (Unbelievably quick, I know)

Thank you for your inquiry.

The beneficiary must go to the embassy at which he or she wishes to process the case and request for the follow-to join process to be initiated. Once requested, the embassy will obtain the necessary documentation from the applicant. The proper procedures will be implemented to ensure that the case is processed accordingly.

From this explanation, it seems that the derivative can go to a different interview location.
have I understood this correctly? Please review. Thanks so much

Hi Sm1smom

I just wrote to KCC yesterday regarding this clarification as I have submitted my sons DS 260 with an interview location in Canada whereas my Interview location is Sri Lanka ( I am the main applicant)

Below was my query to KCC

I am the main applicant who won the DV2023 from Sri Lanka.
My son who is added as a derivative in my application is currently in Canada. When submitting the DS-260 form for my son, I was able to select an interview location in Canada.
1) Can you clarify whether he can face an interview in Canada or does he mandatorily have to accompany me for my interview in Sri Lanka?
2) If he is able to join me in Sri Lanka for the interview, do I have to unlock my son's DS260 and change the location, or can I just keep it as it is?

And here is the answer I got from KCC today. (Unbelievably quick, I know)

Thank you for your inquiry.

The beneficiary must go to the embassy at which he or she wishes to process the case and request for the follow-to join process to be initiated. Once requested, the embassy will obtain the necessary documentation from the applicant. The proper procedures will be implemented to ensure that the case is processed accordingly.

From this explanation, it seems that the derivative can go to a different interview location.
have I understood this correctly? Please review. Thanks so much
Well, you can follow KCC’s not quite accurate nor simple to execute response, or that which I did provide to you which is based on numerous past experiences. Do keep us posted with the outcome of your derivative’s interview using FTJ in Canada if you choose to go that route.

I mean since its thousands of forms, and all are being submitted relatively early at the same time,why not start according to the numbers? So that everything matches with the visa bulletin?
You’re assuming majority of those who submitted earlier and with lower CNs are yet to get scheduled for their interview? For those with lower CNs who submitted early and are yet to be scheduled for an interview, I believe we’ve already explained the steps and what could be the reason for the pending IL, sorry I can explain the steps all over again. You should be able to see that explanation if you look back a couple of pages on this thread.

I wonder if background checks are done by KCC or embassies, or maybe both. If KKC does background checks, do we maybe know if they do at the time of processing DS-260 or later? Thanks!

Bonjour j'ai commis une erreur sur mon ds260 au lieu de mettre mohameden sall jai mis mohamed salle est-ce très grave merci

Your method also doesn't seem very fair. If its January and Im about to be current in February, and then suddenly there's thousands of people submitting their DS260 that have already been current and decided to just submit late, suddenly they are prioritised over mine then and now my case is delayed because they all decided to submit late?

Certain cases can also take much longer if they have complicated travel history or more derivatives etc, so it's impossible to tell when they even started on yours as yours could take months longer than mine despite starting earlier. Both ways are flawed, at the end of the day if people are worried about how fast they are processed, they should be submitting earlier. There is no rush at this point anyway, it is only November and everyone has until September 30 to get issued, waiting a little bit longer is worth it for a visa.

Well, you can follow KCC’s not quite accurate nor simple to execute response, or that which I did provide to you which is based on numerous past experiences. Do keep us posted with the outcome of your derivative’s interview using FTJ in Canada if you choose to go that route.
Thank you. Yes it seems very improbable. I will check with my local embassy and proceed to plan to bring him down. If the medical tests are accepted from Canada,(which I will check with my embassy) then I can get him down for a short break only for the interview. Will keep the thread posted.

Thanks so much

Thank you. Yes it seems very improbable. I will check with my local embassy and proceed to plan to bring him down. If the medical tests are accepted from Canada,(which I will check with my embassy) then I can get him down for a short break only for the interview. Will keep the thread posted.

Thanks so much
I can confidently tell you medical exam from Canada will not be accepted by the embassy in Sri Lanka. The medical exam must be from the panel physician under the jurisdiction of the applicable embassy where the interview is scheduled to take place. But by all means, go ahead and contact the embassy to verify the medical requirements.

I can confidently tell you medical exam from Canada will not be accepted by the embassy in Sri Lanka. The medical exam must be from the panel physician under the jurisdiction of the applicable embassy where the interview is scheduled to take place. But by all means, go ahead and contact the embassy to verify the medical requirements.
Thank you for the heads up. Well in that case taking a chance on the expiry of the medical report, we can take a medical in Sri Lanka, when he comes down for winter break in Dec 2022. (just 3 weeks and I am sure the interview will be very much later in 2023). Not sure whether the medical authority will allow taking the medical without the interview date, but I will try. heard that the expiry is 6 months for the medical.

Hello dear @Sm1smom , I have a question about the Social media section in my DS260. I am a DV 2023 winner with cn AF43K.

When filling out the social media section in my DS260, I input Instagram & TikTok because they are the ones I use most. I haven't put Facebook.

I personally don't think this is gonna be a problem because they haven't told us to input above a minimum number of social media platforms.
I also don't want to unlock coz I again don't think this will be a problem.

But I would like to get your perspective on this on what you think I have to do moving forward. Can this be a big problem or am I just overthinking it?

Thank you for the heads up. Well in that case taking a chance on the expiry of the medical report, we can take a medical in Sri Lanka, when he comes down for winter break in Dec 2022. (just 3 weeks and I am sure the interview will be very much later in 2023). Not sure whether the medical authority will allow taking the medical without the interview date, but I will try. heard that the expiry is 6 months for the medical.
AFAIK, most panel physicians require the 2NL before the medical exam can be scheduled/conducted. Also, the medical exam date determines the visa expiration date. Assuming in the off chance your son is able to do the medical exam in SL in Dec 2022, and you get scheduled for an interview in June, your son’s visa gets issued with a mere couple of days’ validity (assuming the medical exam hasn’t already expired by then or the CO is willing to accept a medical exam valid for a couple of days/weeks or a months).

If your son will be joining you in SL for the interview, what is wrong with adding a couple of days to the trip and doing the medical exam together before the interview?

AFAIK, most panel physicians require the 2NL before the medical exam can be scheduled/conducted. Also, the medical exam date determines the visa expiration date. Assuming in the off chance your son is able to do the medical exam in SL in Dec 2022, and you get scheduled for an interview in June, your son’s visa gets issued with a mere couple of days’ validity (assuming the medical exam hasn’t already expired by then or the CO is willing to accept a medical exam valid for a couple of days/weeks or a months).

If your son will be joining you in SL for the interview, what is wrong with adding a couple of days to the trip and doing the medical exam together before the interview?
Hi Mom, Oops I did not know that. Son is studying and it's a bit difficult to take longer breaks while the semester is progressing, hence the reason for the short visit. But my CN is current in Jan and hopefully, the interview would be latest around March from what I have read so far. But not sure how things will progress. I am still new to this whole process and still struggling with the first steps, so I did not see that as an issue. Thanks so much

Hi everyone,

1. I've recently discovered that I have a couple of old email addresses that I was using a while back. I still have access to them but don't use them (only get some spam messages occasionally). Do you think it makes sense to unlock DS-260 to add those addresses?
2. I've also discovered an old instagram account that i created just for fun (to browse a bit), didn't post any content, though. I didn't add that account to my DS-260. So, I deleted the account but that was after I had submitted my DS-260. Do you think this could be a problem?

My CN is 2023EU30k.

Thank you!
Personally, I don’t think you need to worry about it, there’s nothing there to provide information about you and your character anyway (I’m assuming the user accounts are blank profiles as you say and don’t follow or engage with others).

Last edited:
I wonder if background checks are done by KCC or embassies, or maybe both. If KKC does background checks, do we maybe know if they do at the time of processing DS-260 or later? Thanks!
Both. I think routinely there are preliminary name checks at KCC and flagging possible DV specific disqualifications. At the embassy level background checks are done before the visa is printed. At the consular officer’s discretion they can be escalated to other agencies for more comprehensive vetting.