• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

What does KCC do? Fraud checks, background checks, etc? Vs embassy?

SusieQQQ

I've seen a few posts talking about this. Did some digging (I'm sure there is a lot more digging that can be done!) - the below is pretty much what I posted in another thread with a couple of extra bits of info - I thought people might find it interesting and might miss it buried in a different thread.

First: KCC processes the visa applications and passes them onto the consulates/embassies for further action. KCC do not have the power to make decisions on a case, that is, they cannot disqualify you - that can only be done at the embassy/consulate.

I thought KCC could disqualify if there have been duplicate entries, but apparently they don't anymore (they had in the past) as they may not be seen to be adjudicating decisions; but they notify the embassy if they have found duplicate entries so one would get disqualified then.

They also provide software so that the consulate can compare the submitted photograph there with the one on the application, and pick up impostors this way. Before eDV they had problems with confirmation letters being intercepted; there can still be unscrupulous agencies people have used that "intercept" the letter, but it is now much more difficult to actually use a "stolen" letter because of this. P26 onwards in this is quite illuminating; it's also a few years old and I guess they have tightened up even more since.
books.google.co.za/books?isbn=1422398102

Background checks start at KCC:
"The KCC conducts Consular Lookout and Support System (CLASS) name checks on all applicants and submits Visas Eagle Security Advisory Opinion (SAOs) where required. For applicants determined to require a SAO other than a Visas Eagle, an electronic note is made in the case record. You must make the final determination as to whether an SAO is required."
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87840.pdf

They will flag an application if they think they see a disqualifying factor ( also comes from the above link):
"The KCC will create a DV immigrant visa (IV) file on the principal applicant and qualifying dependents. These files will be shipped to post prior to the visa interview. In cases where a potentially disqualifying factor has been identified at the KCC during case creation, a note will be made in the electronic case file. The file folder will then be stamped “KCC FPU Reviewed” and a red memorandum noting the existence of the disqualifying factor will be included in the paper file for post action."

Now to add a bit more than previous post:
One thing that causes a flag is the addition of a derivative (spouse or child) that wasn't in the original entry. This subject has been done to death on this board, but interesting to see that it is basically almost assumed to be a disqualifying factor unless you can prove otherwise.

Also (now this moves from what KCC does to the consulate) they can actually do quite extensive checks. They speak about having fieldworkers for example visit the neighborhood someone lives in to talk to neighbors to see if their marriage/relationship is valid, and so on. They liaise with local law enforcement agencies regarding background checks (although the cooperation they get varies by country). What was also interesting to me was that they have actually prosecuted people for fraud who have entered into fraudulent marriages for DV green card purposes. They evidently take this very seriously so it's not just a case of taking a chance and hoping. (I guess whether they do this also depends where they are and their relationship with local prosecuting authorities.).

Anyway - I found that all pretty interesting - hopefully you do too :). Happy for anyone to add stuff but a request: all the above is verified info (via the links I have posted above). For proper info purposes, I would love it if we can keep this thread factual rather than speculating about what they may or may not do.

Last edited by a moderator:
, but apparently they don't anymore (they had in the past) as they may not be seen to be adjudicating decisions
What they cannot do is to disqualify entries after the winners are notified, then it is called adjudication.
However, they could do it and they do it instead of notifications. Moreover, those disqualifications constitute the source of holes in the numeration. They do it at least when the photo is exactly the same, and probably when it is almost the same.
In more arguable cases they indicate the photos are flagged as duplicates by their software and send that into consulates with photos of suspects in being duplicates.
That is my understanding.

Yes, that is correct. If they identify a duplicate entry before the winner is notified then it is disqualified by KCC.