• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

I am from Nepal and my case number is 8****. I hope it will be current in the May visa bulletin for the month of July. I am wondering will it be too late to apply since I will only have 3 months from July to September? What is the September deadline for? Is it to submit the AOS package or do I have to give an interview till September last? What do you suggest to apply or not to apply? I haven't even submitted my DS 260. I am on F1 visa.

Hi all! I do have a question on "certified translation" in the US (for HS and BS diploma). I'm trying to use an online service, but they all look like some sort of scam company. Everybody is certified for USCIS purposes, but it's just based on the "trust me dude" rule. Here are some examples:

uslanguageservices.com/persian-translation-services/
cacfti.com/
translate-with-bbt.com/

Any comments on what should I look for when sending my documents would be appreciated. (all prices are $30-$40 per diploma).
Hi! I can totally relate to it. What I've done is that most of the time such websites state that they are members of professional associations such as the American Translators Association for instance. Then you can go check if they are indeed listed on the association website. That being said, 30-40$ is an average price for HS and easy to find but for BS and/or MS I couldn't find anything cheaper 80$ :(

I am from Nepal and my case number is 8****. I hope it will be current in the May visa bulletin for the month of July. I am wondering will it be too late to apply since I will only have 3 months from July to September? What is the September deadline for? Is it to submit the AOS package or do I have to give an interview till September last? What do you suggest to apply or not to apply? I haven't even submitted my DS 260. I am on F1 visa.
We’ve had cases that became current in September which successfully completed the process by the end of the month.
September deadline includes completing the interview (if required) and getting approved.

1. You can, if you like. I however do not see how your job loss or not having a medical insurance coverage meets any of the criteria for case expedite. The severe financial loss criteria typical involves when the loss has to do with a USC (for family based sponsorship). But like I already said, you can proceed with the request if you like.
2. If you like - just to be clear, severe financial loss to a company doesn’t apply here either.
3. You already got a legal opinion on this.
4. I would wait if this was my case, no point in utilizing all options available to me at once.
5. There’s no USCIS error as far as I can see.
Thank you so much! At this point, I just know the value of asking questions here vs following a legal advice. Really appreciate your answers.

When in doubt, get a fully translated version.
Got it, makes total sense! Quick follow-up questions:
1) As I have everything translated already I've been thinking of not paying the full price for the professional translators but to ask a person who is fluent in both languages to certify. Would it still work for the diplomas?
2) As I have certified translations for my other docs I see that the translations themselves have a copy of the original docs attached to them. In this case, should I include another separate copy of the original docs that are not part of the certified translations?

I am so thankful for this forum and everyone, who answeres questions, adds his data to the timelines, and shares their experience during all the process.

1. If I already filed an Expedite request on April 7 and received a response from USCIS is my case still expedited, or do I need to do it once again to make sure, that they would process it as soon as the background check is cleared?

2. In the response from USCIS, I noticed, that the Middle name, which was added during the interview is shortened to 8 characters when my patronymic name is 13 characters long. Should I worry about it? Could this be a reason for such a slow background check?

3. Could I use this possible mistake (8 characters from the patronymic name) as a reason to replace a GC in the future and try to possibly remove this Middle name from the GC as a USCIS mistake?

Hi guys! Does anyone know how long, on average, is taking KCC to respond to inquiries? They haven’t answered my email yet about changing from CP to AOS, although my money order has been cashed. Last time I contacted them was on April 16th and I got the automatic reply message but nothing ever since. I’ve seen some people that have gotten answers even tho they emailed them after I did and I was getting a tad worried.
Hi,
KCC has not replied my email about changing from CP To AOS. the money order that you are talking about, it is Dv fee $330? can we pay it before we change it to aos? Thank you!

Hi! I can totally relate to it. What I've done is that most of the time such websites state that they are members of professional associations such as the American Translators Association for instance. Then you can go check if they are indeed listed on the association website. That being said, 30-40$ is an average price for HS and easy to find but for BS and/or MS I couldn't find anything cheaper 80$ :(

They are member of ATA, but not certified apparently.

Would it be possible for USCIS to reject the translated document because of merits of its certification? For instance one company says:

All our certified translations are delivered with a certificate of accuracy that includes the translator’s signature and the signature of one of the company’s legal representatives.

I mean, what does that even mean? back in my hometown, there was this level of certificate, and also there was an option to validate that the person is a "registered translator" by department of justice. I don't understand why USCIS shouldn't say "who this translator even is and why we should care for his certification?"

Last edited:
There is no requirement for translators to be “certified”. The translator self-certifies that they are competent to translate.
Based on that, can I ask my friend to do the translations for me and keep the money in the pocket? Or is there any more credibility to a registered translation company?

Based on that, can I ask my friend to do the translations for me and keep the money in the pocket? Or is there any more credibility to a registered translation company?
If your friend is properly fluent in both languages and happy to certify to that effect, sure.

the suggested format for certification is usually

I, [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in English and [foreign language], and that the above/attached document is a complete and accurate translation of the document attached entitled [name of document].

Signature_________________________________
[Date] [Typed Name] [Address]

Got it, makes total sense! Quick follow-up questions:
1) As I have everything translated already I've been thinking of not paying the full price for the professional translators but to ask a person who is fluent in both languages to certify. Would it still work for the diplomas?
2) As I have certified translations for my other docs I see that the translations themselves have a copy of the original docs attached to them. In this case, should I include another separate copy of the original docs that are not part of the certified translations?
1. There is no expectation for document translators to be professional. Anyone fluent in both the language the document was issued in and English language can do the translation (as long as it isn't done by yourself or a family member) as long as they complete and attach the required fluency certification statement.
2. I'm not quite sure I understand your question here - however the original document is required to be attached to the translated document. So keep it simple.

Just curious , what is the format USCIS uses when receiving/ accepting the case? I already see someone whose package got delivered a day after mine to Chicago already got their notice last week. Mine still nothing 33 days today and check not even cashed.

I am so thankful for this forum and everyone, who answeres questions, adds his data to the timelines, and shares their experience during all the process.

1. If I already filed an Expedite request on April 7 and received a response from USCIS is my case still expedited, or do I need to do it once again to make sure, that they would process it as soon as the background check is cleared?

2. In the response from USCIS, I noticed, that the Middle name, which was added during the interview is shortened to 8 characters when my patronymic name is 13 characters long. Should I worry about it? Could this be a reason for such a slow background check?

3. Could I use this possible mistake (8 characters from the patronymic name) as a reason to replace a GC in the future and try to possibly remove this Middle name from the GC as a USCIS mistake?
1. If the case is already being expedited based on the expedite you raised on 4/7, why will you raise another expedite request again? This is one of the reasons why it becomes more and more difficult to contact the FOs - people abusing the process.
2. Not necessarily - the name probably got shortened because the characters are more than the space available of the GC. It is not unusual for this to happen when the characters are too long.
3.USCIS wouldn't consider the shortened characters a "USCIS error" based on 2 above.

Hi,
KCC has not replied my email about changing from CP To AOS. the money order that you are talking about, it is Dv fee $330? can we pay it before we change it to aos? Thank you!
Yes, you can send in the payment. You don't need to wait for an acknowledgement for the change request in order to proceed with the AOS. Bear in mind though, if KCC already forwarded your case file to your applicable home embassy (I think you previously indicated your already got the ready to schedule email from KCC?), you will need to work with the embassy to get your case file transferred back to the FO in order to complete the AOS process. And once you make the DV administrative fee payment here in the US, that payment is non-refundable should you decide to continue with CP.

Go through the AOS process spreadsheet to better prepare yourself for the AOS process.

Just curious , what is the format USCIS uses when receiving/ accepting the case? I already see someone whose package got delivered a day after mine to Chicago already got their notice last week. Mine still nothing 33 days today and check not even cashed.
Interesting; Following! (Mine has also been there for 28 days with no payment cashed!)
Any idea?

Cases are typically processed at the Chicago Lockbox as received. If others who filed after you are beginning to report NOA receipt or text/email notifications and your payment hasn't even been cashed to date, there's a possibility your package could have been rejected and will be sent back to you. Review copies of the forms you sent in (I'm assuming you have those) to see if you forgot to sign any section, fill the form as required, sent in the correct payment? Those are some of the reasons filed packages get rejected and sent back.

Of course, it's also possible the agent assigned to the package simply hasn't got to it yet. Especially if it is only one person you've seen on the spreadsheet who seems to have had a fast response, which then will simply be an outlier and there's nothing to worry about for now.

Cases are typically processed at the Chicago Lockbox as received. If others who filed after you are beginning to report NOA receipt or text/email notifications and your payment hasn't even been cashed to date, there's a possibility your package could have been rejected and will be sent back to you. Review copies of the forms you sent in (I'm assuming you have those) to see if you forgot to sign any section, fill the form as required, sent in the correct payment? Those are some of the reasons filed packages get rejected and sent back.

Of course, it's also possible the agent assigned to the package simply hasn't got to it yet. Especially if it is only one person you've seen on the spreadsheet who seems to have had a fast response, which then will simply be an outlier and there's nothing to worry about for now.
Thanks mom, i am really hoping that its not a rejection. I know for sure i did sign the i-485. The only problem might be the payment. i wrote the check with thin sharpie. It did bleed to the back and i realized late and i didnt have any more checks in my checkbook. My bank has always cashed the checks i wrote with sharpies and that would be more than 50 checks. Fingers crossed that the person assigned has not gotten to mine. i will wait until the end of the week and see. from the spreadsheet some people waited for 37 days.