• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

I don't if anyone can answer this question, but I read on another forum that there are people who filed other types of adjustment of status in Boston in June/July 2020 and are still waiting for a biometrics appointment. Does this mean that the ASC in Boston will schedule all of these people before me, a December filer? Does it count that my case is a DV AOS? It just seems impossible that they will get to me in time if people who filed 5-6 months before me are still waiting.
ASCs do not schedule bio appointments, this is done by the NBC for all the ASCs. The NBC is aware DV based AOS applications are time sensitive, and they take that into consideration which is why DV based AOSers get scheduled ahead of other AOS cases. (Take a look at the NBC LOCKBOX FO tab of the AOS process spreadsheet for more).

As for your FO, they may be one of those who typically do not schedule the interview appointment until after the bio has been completed or the background check has cleared. If it’s been 3 months or more since you got your NOA (notice I didn’t say since you filed), and you haven’t received your bio notification, you should consider initiating a congressional case follow up inquiry.

ASCs do not schedule bio appointments, this is done by the NBC for all the ASCs. The NBC is aware DV based AOS applications are time sensitive, and they take that into consideration which is why DV based AOSers get scheduled ahead of other AOS cases. (Take a look at the NBC LOCKBOX FO tab of the AOS process spreadsheet for more).

As for your FO, they may be one of those who typically do not schedule the interview appointment until after the bio has been completed or the background check has cleared. If it’s been 3 months or more since you got your NOA (notice I didn’t say since you filed), and you haven’t received your bio notification, you should consider initiating a congressional case follow up inquiry.

When is a good time to consider congressional inquiry for the interview? Maybe 3 months after the bio appointment?

Sorry if this question has been asked in this thread.
1) I just went through the spreadsheet and I saw I-944 is no longer on the spreadsheet. Is that the new rule that we don't need this anymore?
2) If yes, since I am under F-1 and graduating soon and I don't have anyone to sponsor I-134 for me, how can I show I won't be public charge except I-134?
3) Also, when you prepare the photocopy document such as birth certificate, I-94 ... etc., do you use color copy or black and white copy? Or, does it even matter?
1. Form I-944 is no longer required.
2. Do you have have a significant amount of savings? Do you have a job offer? Getting an I-134 is typically the best way of overcoming public charge concerns.
3. What matters is for the document to be clear and legible (and don’t print/copy double sided).

Thank you, Mom. I just initiated the congressional inquiry.

Thanks for replying. So... those financial documents do not need to go with I-485 application and we just need those documents while being interview. Is that correct?
What is the safe bet for not being public charge? I heard people mentioned if personal funds are three times greater than property level, then it is considered safe for F-1. I am not sure if this is true or not.
Do have I have to include all those financial documents in my AOS package? Can I take them along to the interview and present them only if the IO asks for them?
Front -loading which means including pertinent documents in the AOS package, (this includes financial documents that demonstrates one is unlikely to become a public charge) is highly recommended (you can choose to ignore this recommendation, and take those documents along to your interview, if/when you get to that stage).
Advantages of frontloading AOS package:
1. Frontloading makes it easier for the IO who is considering AOS application approval without an interview to be able to do so.
2. Frontloading reduces the amount of time the IO needs to review the case file after the interview - review would have been done prior to the interview, as against presenting the documents during the interview.
3. Frontloading may reduce the amount of time it takes the IO to approve the AOS application after the interview has been completed.

SOURCE: AOS FAQ section

Hello. I want to know if is necesary complete and send the DS260 for AOS.? Is it mandatory ?
Must I submit the DS260 if I'm processing AOS? Is this form required?
No. DS260 form submission is not a 'must' form. You don't have to submit it if you don't feel like doing so. However we do recommend its submission.
AOS FAQ

And i have other cuestion. My CN is AS1487 is already in the VB. I have to Walt until may to send the I 485 form?
What is Early Filing?
"Early filing" is the filing of applications for AOS, approximately 50 to 60 days in advance of actual DV visa availability. The Advanced Notification section of the VB enables persons to file their Form I-485 applications prior to the time a DV visa becomes “immediately available.” - If your CN is listed under the Advanced Notification of the VB (SECTION C), you may wish to take advantage of this and send in your AOS package early (following the VB release). ** You can read more about "Early Filing" from the linked 2013 Policy Memorandum - Early Filing Memo

Is Early Filing risky?
Yes, there may be some risks associated with Early Filing as against targeting the AOS package delivery to occur on or after the 1st day of the month in which your CN is listed as current.
**NOTE:
1. Some overzealous (well I should say new Lockbox employees :)) who are not aware of the Early filing option may reject packages filed prior to the first day of the month in which the CN is current
2. Some FOs do (erroneously) deny applications filed prior to the 1st day of the month of when the CN becomes current, regardless of what the Early Filing Memo says. So it is your call whether to file early based on the Memo or wait for your package to be received on the first day of the month for which your CN is current .
**If you're fortunate, your IO may call you before denying your application, in which case you show/refer them to this section of USCIS website (under the Visa Availability Section) which shows early filing is allowed.

AOS FAQ

When is a good time to consider congressional inquiry for the interview? Maybe 3 months after the bio appointment?
That may be a good time to do so.

Please note, I'm usually reluctant to provide specific numbers as a "good time" to initiate any kind of follow up - experience has shown applicants begin to get cranky and worrisome when the time period provided by mom is fast approaching and whatever was supposed to happen within that time period hasn't happened. The right time to initiate a follow up is subjective or relative to several other factors that may be at play with each filing.

What is Early Filing?
"Early filing" is the filing of applications for AOS, approximately 50 to 60 days in advance of actual DV visa availability. The Advanced Notification section of the VB enables persons to file their Form I-485 applications prior to the time a DV visa becomes “immediately available.” - If your CN is listed under the Advanced Notification of the VB (SECTION C), you may wish to take advantage of this and send in your AOS package early (following the VB release). ** You can read more about "Early Filing" from the linked 2013 Policy Memorandum - Early Filing Memo

Is Early Filing risky?
Yes, there may be some risks associated with Early Filing as against targeting the AOS package delivery to occur on or after the 1st day of the month in which your CN is listed as current.
**NOTE:
1. Some overzealous (well I should say new Lockbox employees :)) who are not aware of the Early filing option may reject packages filed prior to the first day of the month in which the CN is current
2. Some FOs do (erroneously) deny applications filed prior to the 1st day of the month of when the CN becomes current, regardless of what the Early Filing Memo says. So it is your call whether to file early based on the Memo or wait for your package to be received on the first day of the month for which your CN is current .
**If you're fortunate, your IO may call you before denying your application, in which case you show/refer them to this section of USCIS website (under the Visa Availability Section) which shows early filing is allowed.

AOS FAQ
Hi Mom,

With ALL RESPECT (& also appreciation for all you do and share with us), could you please let us know a few examples of such rejections? (either in Chicago Lockbox or any specific FO; or which year it has happened)
I have heard that this confusion might specifically occur at the beginning of FY (like SEP-OCT) where they might misunderstand the year in which the AOS is related to.

(again, no offense at all; I'd like to look for a few cases that have experienced this rejection (if possible))

Thanks,

anyone able to get hold of KCC ..or have they not paid their phone bill:rolleyes:...phone lines not working /no replies to email :(

Hi Mom,

With ALL RESPECT (& also appreciation for all you do and share with us), could you please let us know a few examples of such rejections? (either in Chicago Lockbox or any specific FO; or which year it has happened)
I have heard that this confusion might specifically occur at the beginning of FY (like SEP-OCT) where they might misunderstand the year in which the AOS is related to.

(again, no offense at all; I'd like to look for a few cases that have experienced this rejection (if possible))

Thanks,

I have also heard of cases in the middle of the FY where the package was rejected because someone thought the applicant had sent it before their CN was actually current. As the spreadsheet explains, it depends on who looks at your package when it's received.

I have also heard of cases in the middle of the FY where the package was rejected because someone thought the applicant had sent it before their CN was actually current. As the spreadsheet explains, it depends on who looks at your package when it's received.
Just though id share this- when i sent the package - to be on the safe side...i sent a copy of the USCIS website stating about early filling- again it depends i guess

Just though id share this- when i sent the package - to be on the safe side...i sent a copy of the USCIS website stating about early filling- again it depends i guess
Thanks
I have also included both policy memo and visa availability (also highlighted the lines refering to 6-7 weeks early filing) and color printed them!
Lol

Hello,

I am an student on an F-1 Visa, and was advised to wait 90 days (came back to the US around January 15th) before applying for my AOS even if my number becomes current (I traveled back to my homecountry for the holidays). Can I send the DS-260 right now, or should I also wait for the 90 days? My case number is current for April.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Mom,

Thanks,
DV2019 Case Denial - which is worse than package rejection - package was rightfully accepted by the Chicago Lockbox, OP got attended bio, attended interview, case subsequently (wrongfully) denied due to early filing.
DV2019 AOS Package Rejected - Derivative's package rejected due to early filing, main selectee's package accepted - both packages were mailed in together.
DV2018 Case Denial - OP's case wrongly denied - FO claimed OP filed in the wrong FY.
DV2018 Initial Case Denial - Case current in May, OP filed April. Case initially denied, decision subsequently reversed upon appeal (Look for the name "AlexanderD" on the DV2018 Timeline spreadsheet).

These are a few of the cases that readily comes to mind. If you spend some time going over the past timeline spreadsheets (pay attention to the comments column) and DV AOS only threads, you'll most likely come across a couple more, including cases where the IO actually called ahead of time to let the applicants know they intend to deny their cases due to early filing. Those ones were fortunate they got the call ahead of time and came to this forum where they were advised to let the IOs know early filing is allowed and to present the necessary document to back up the claim.