• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

hello everyone, I hope you all doing great. I had 3 questions that have been running in my mind and I would appreciate any help.

1-I have seen an old post of an F-1 student talking about bringing IRA account statement to the interview which confused me, can someone tell me in which situation would someone need an IRA? I'm still a student and didn't work (aside from a small work on campus last year).

2- This year I couldn't apply for internships bc i had no time to do so. My friend has a real estate LLC and I was thinking of having him sending me an email saying that he approved me for an internship with him during the summer. Would this help in regards to the public charge rule or not?

3-I have already submitted everything I had to submit in regards to the public charge rule but I was wondering if as an extra I could present documents showing them assets that my parents own that I will eventually inherit? I thought maybe I will need it during the interview if they are being skeptical about my public charge case?

I appreciate the help everyone, have a great week!

@Sm1smom if bio is scheduled a week after the interview, does that at all mean the IO won't be able to make his decision on the date of the interview?
Hi everyone. I wanted to give you an update on my and my spouse's interview which was scheduled for today (CN AS16xx, Filed mid-December). Interview was scheduled for 8 AM and we made it to the parking lot approximately five minutes early. We went through the security gate and were guided to a waiting room. The officer came out calling our name and guided us to her office. First she took our identification (passports, driver's license, social security card) and had us take an oath. Then she went on to review every section of our I-485's, she would ask if our answers were correct and we would basically just say yes. At some points she asked for details that were not required on the actual forms, and would write down the answers in red next to the respective part of the forms. For example, when she got to our current residence address she asked questions like whether the house was a lease or owned, whether anybody else lived with us at the same address, whether we had pets (maybe a personal touch?) etc, etc.

When she got to the grounds for inadmissibility she asked me several questions about my military service (I'm an Iranian national, and male Iranian nationals have to complete a 2 year period of military service). I told her that I have included detailed description of my military service in the last page, but she seemed uninterested so I answered her questions in short sentences. When did you go to military service? Did you receive any training with a weapon? What weapons were you trained with? Was it automatic/semi-automatic? Were you in charge of a group within the military? What was your highest rank? Were you ever involved in combat? etc. Again she would write down my answers in single words somewhere in the form.

After that, she moved on to form I-944, asked a few straightforward questions to confirm the details provided. Then she handed us the stacks of paper (our forms + supporting docs) to sign the dedicated fields in our I-485 and I-944.

When we were done with the forms she gave us a sort of a "soft yes". Meaning she pointed out that she had noticed we were not scheduled for a biometric appointment before our interview, so she had asked ASC to book an appointment for us. But unfortunately the first available date they had was March 15, she then handed us the ASC appointment notices. She said the background check process might take from days to weeks and there was no way for her to give an estimate, but we were supposed to receive our approval notice about a week after she received the results of our background checks.
Another thing I was stressed about was that I did not have a receipt of our DOS fee because I'd forgotten to include a self stamped envelope when I was sending out the payment. DOS had emailed me the receipt and I had included a copy of it in my application. But the payment receipt never came up and I didn't have to provide an explanation. She then accompanied us to the exit and that's that. Overall, she was very patient and friendly and made our experience much less stressful than we anticipated.

I checked our case status online as soon as I got home and it is now updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed". The previous status of our application was "Fingerprint Fee Received".

I hope our experience is useful to others in this forum, and thanks for the amazing community.

Thank you so much for sharing in such great detail, this is enormously helpful!

@Sm1smom if bio is scheduled a week after the interview, does that at all mean the IO won't be able to make his decision on the date of the interview?

Thank you so much for sharing in such great detail, this is enormously helpful!

All applicants must pass the background check in order to be approved, right? Which means there’s no way any case with a pending background check clearance can be approved for as long as that is pending regardless of when the interview took place.

hello everyone, I hope you all doing great. I had 3 questions that have been running in my mind and I would appreciate any help.

1-I have seen an old post of an F-1 student talking about bringing IRA account statement to the interview which confused me, can someone tell me in which situation would someone need an IRA? I'm still a student and didn't work (aside from a small work on campus last year).

2- This year I couldn't apply for internships bc i had no time to do so. My friend has a real estate LLC and I was thinking of having him sending me an email saying that he approved me for an internship with him during the summer. Would this help in regards to the public charge rule or not?

3-I have already submitted everything I had to submit in regards to the public charge rule but I was wondering if as an extra I could present documents showing them assets that my parents own that I will eventually inherit? I thought maybe I will need it during the interview if they are being skeptical about my public charge case?

I appreciate the help everyone, have a great week!

1. Maybe you should focus on what you have and what is applicable to your case.

2. Don’t manufacture evidence to support your case - again focus on what you have and what is truly applicable to your case.

3. You haven’t inherited those assets yet ...

1. Maybe you should focus on what you have and what is applicable to your case.

2. Don’t manufacture evidence to support your case - again focus on what you have and what is truly applicable to your case.

3. You haven’t inherited those assets yet ...

ok thank you mom :))))

2017 tax filing information is too far back to be relevant to your AOS application. You wouldn’t have a recent IRS tax transcript if you don’t have a recent tax filing.
What is tax transcript? Is it different than what we send to IRS? I mean when we complete tax filing with TurboTax it produces a document and we add W2 form and send it to IRS, is that document tax transcript? or is it something else?

Good morning everyone, please what’s the address to put on the money (Uscis address). Thanks

You need to be a bit more specific with your question in addition to ensure you get an accurate response. I'm not quite clear as to which money and the USCIS address you're asking about.

Are you asking about who to make out the AOS payment (for form I-485 and Bio) to? Or are you asking about the mailing address for the I-485 package?

You need to be a bit more specific with your question in addition to ensure you get an accurate response. I'm not quite clear as to which money and the USCIS address you're asking about.

Are you asking about who to make out the AOS payment (for form I-485 and Bio) to? Or are you asking about the mailing address for the I-485 package?
Yes please who to make the payment Of AOS for I-485 and the Bio to. Thank you

Last edited:
Hi mom,

Question RE bank accounts for assets in I-944, does a bank statement suffice for proof of value and ownership of asset? Or do you recommend adding anything else too?

Thank you!

Hi mom,

Question RE bank accounts for assets in I-944, does a bank statement suffice for proof of value and ownership of asset? Or do you recommend adding anything else too?

Thank you!

The type of document you use to demonstrate proof of value and asset ownership depends on the type of asset you're listing. For instance, you can't use a bank statement as proof of value and ownership of a house, if listing one as an asset. According to the I-944 form instruction, you need a home appraisal if listing your house as an asset for overcoming public charge. "If you or a household member owns a home, you may include the net value of your or the household member’s home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home, minus the sum of all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include the net value of your or your household member’s home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you or the household member owns it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home"
Form I-944 Instruction

Hi Mom,

Words cannot describe the agony in my heart... months of preparation just to fail. I forgot to put the CVV of my Amex card in form G1450. I really overthought other trivial issues while overlooking something this vital. I sent my package 2 weeks ago and now it's just waiting to be rejected and sent back.

My sincere request to all the fellow applicants - please take some more time to review your documents.. taking a couple more days to review your forms is always far better than having to restart all over again and sometimes the latter might not even be an option.

Now, my questions to you are:
1. Can I still reapply?
2. If I still can, when do you recommend re-applying? a. ASAP addressing the flaws or b. After I receive the official rejection letter?

Thank You!

Last edited:
Hi Mom,

Words cannot describe the agony in my heart... months of preparation just to fail. I forgot to put the CVV of my Amex card in form G1450. I really overthought other trivial issues while overlooking something this vital. I sent my package 2 weeks ago and now it's just waiting to be rejected and sent back.

My sincere request to all the fellow applicants - please take some more time to review your documents.. taking a couple more days to review your forms is always far better than having to restart all over again and sometimes the latter might not even be an option.

Now, my questions to you are:
1. Can I still reapply?
2. If I still can, when do you recommend re-applying? a. ASAP addressing the flaws or b. After I receive the official rejection letter?

Thank You!

I took a look at the G1450 form and I don’t see a section for the CVV though (or am I looking at the wrong form). Anyway, I don’t know if the package will be rejected or not due to the missing CVV.

1. Yes you can reapply.

2. You can send in a complete new package now if you prefer, or wait to see if the first one gets rejected (it will get sent back to you in that case). If the first one gets accepted, after you’ve already sent out the new package, you’ll have to contact your credit card company and instruct them to decline the payment. If the second payment also goes through in addition to the first one, you’ll need to contact USCIS in that case and inform them you wish to withdraw the second application. Of course the fee will not be refunded.

THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN APRIL
For April, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2021 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:
Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except
Those Listed Separately
AFRICA22,000Except: Egypt 13,000ASIA9,000Except: Iran 4,700
Nepal 4,500EUROPE12,000 NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 7 OCEANIA1,100 SOUTH AMERICA,
and the CARIBBEAN1,400

Hello!

I filed my AOS on 10/24/20, received my notice of action on 11/30/20 and today received my Request to Appear at Interview. The interview is scheduled on 02/01/2020. Very happy to have an interview date, but I never received a biometrics letter, will this be an issue if i have not received or done my biometrics at the time of the interview?

Thanks so much for your help!

I have my USCIS interview scheduled first thing Monday morning in NYC. The forecast for Monday is currently 90% chance of snow, is there a way to find out in advance of showing up if USCIS is closed due to inclement weather? Given its Friday to Monday, I am not hopeful they will update their website on Sunday.

Hello,
How about sharing an update on your interview experience? Where you able to attend as scheduled? Did it take place or get rescheduled? It really helps when people return to provide updates on their experience especially after having their questions answered.

Hi mom,

I have a question regarding the AOS package on I-765(EAD card) and I-131(AP card) as it is mentioned optional in AOS package with some comments.

If my CN current and not leaving USA until we are done with the visa interview, then we don’t need to fill out these two forms. These two forms needed to be filled by people who are doing to go out of USA before the interview. Is my understanding correct on these two forms?

Thank you so much.