• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

I got the bio ..the website stayed the same - so im guessing biometrics does not update. I have heard others saying they saw "interview scheduled' on the wesbite when they have gotten an interview date . So probably it might be just for interviews !
Sorry for offtopic. Yesterday I got IL dated February 12 but the status of my case is still "Fingerprint Fee Was Received" in the website and there is no new updates in my online account too. I looks like the online tool to check the case status doesn't work in appropriate way for some people.

In Part 2, 1A-1D, you don’t list yourself if you’re the only member of your household (that section is for listing other members of your household). Write N/A if you’re the only member of your household. Then write ‘1’ in 1E.

That is NOT correct.

The instructions on the form itself specifically states "Below, list yourself and all of the individuals who are part of your household".
The separate instruction booklet also explicitly states for that section that "You" are a member of your household, and states that "You will have at least one individual listed because you must include yourself."

Hi mom,

For form I-944, Part 2 Family Household - I am filing for myself and am the only one in my 'household'. To my understanding I should be listing myself as well in this section - do I need to check the boxes for 'does this individual live with you?" and "Is this individual filing an application for an immigration benefit..."

If so, is that 'yes' for both?

A review of the instruction form on how to fill out the I-944 shows my previous response in terms of not listing yourself and simply writing ‘1’ under Section Section 1E is not inline with USCIS’s instructions, so do ignore it. The form instruction for Part 2 says:

Item Number 1. Household. The following individuals are part of your household:
1. If you are 21 years of age or older, or under the age of 21 and married, list the following household members in
Part 2., as applicable:
A. You;
B. Your spouse, if physically residing with you;
In addition to listing each household member’s name (including yourself), also provide each individual’s date of birth, relationship to you (for yourself, you must list “self”), A-Number (if any), and whether the individual is filing an immigration benefit application with you
I-944 Form Instruction

It clearly doesn’t make sense to tick “YES” for yourself as living with you and filing with you, I suggest you nonetheless go ahead and mark those boxes as YES. I’m not quite sure if those boxes gets grayed out making them non-fillable once you select “Self” when filling out the form on a computer (unable to test that theory at the moment as I’m using a mobile device at the moment).

It clearly doesn’t make sense to tick “YES” for yourself as living with you and filing with you, I suggest you nonetheless go ahead and mark those boxes as YES. I’m not quite sure if those boxes gets grayed out making them non-fillable once you select “Self” when filling out the form on a computer (unable to test that theory at the moment as I’m using a mobile device at the moment).

The form is indeed badly put together. The "Yes" or "No" boxes under "Does this individual live with you" and "Is this individual filing an application benefit with you ..." are not grayed out when one selects "Self" (which by the way is the only option available under Section 1A) when electronically filling out the form. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised in the first place.

Wondering - i called USCIS to check on interview dates, the front desk lady said she called my local office and they are still processing ones filed on august 22 2020. Arent the DV cases after sept 30 gets dropped?

Wondering - i called USCIS to check on interview dates, the front desk lady said she called my local office and they are still processing ones filed on august 22 2020. Arent the DV cases after sept 30 gets dropped?
Cases filed late august 2020 could have been early filing for Oct 2021 current CNs. The October numbers were in the September 2020 visa bulletin, which is listed as published 10 August (though I’m sure it actually came out a bit later than that). Not saying definitely this is the case, but it could be. (No reason for any DV2020 person to wait anywhere near as late as late august to file either, all DV numbers were current from June, published in May visa bulletin which came out in April.)

Take that information with a grain of salt. USCIS does not track DV based AOS cases separately, the FO doesn't have the time or resources to track those individually either. It is simply a BS response to get you off the phone IMO.

By the way, did she make the call to your FO while you were on the phone with her, or she gave you a call back to provide you with that information?

Take that information with a grain of salt. USCIS does not track DV based AOS cases separately, the FO doesn't have the time or resources to track those individually either. It is simply a BS response to get you off the phone IMO.

By the way, did she make the call to your FO while you were on the phone with her, or she gave you a call back to provide you with that information?
she put me on hold - what you are saying make sense they just wants to get you off the phone so not very confident by their answer

Today my online status has changed to "Interview was Scheduled", but no letters yet. I didn't receive any letters yet, nor Bio nor IL. But I guess I will get something next week. My ASC and FO are in the same building in San Jose and the previous year people had biometrics taken right after the interview. So I hope everything is going to be OK.

Today my online status has changed to "Interview was Scheduled", but no letters yet. I didn't receive any letters yet, nor Bio nor IL. But I guess I will get something next week. My ASC and FO are in the same building in San Jose and the previous year people had biometrics taken right after the interview. So I hope everything is going to be OK.
Good Luck

Hi everyone. I wanted to give you an update on my and my spouse's interview which was scheduled for today (CN AS16xx, Filed mid-December). Interview was scheduled for 8 AM and we made it to the parking lot approximately five minutes early. We went through the security gate and were guided to a waiting room. The officer came out calling our name and guided us to her office. First she took our identification (passports, driver's license, social security card) and had us take an oath. Then she went on to review every section of our I-485's, she would ask if our answers were correct and we would basically just say yes. At some points she asked for details that were not required on the actual forms, and would write down the answers in red next to the respective part of the forms. For example, when she got to our current residence address she asked questions like whether the house was a lease or owned, whether anybody else lived with us at the same address, whether we had pets (maybe a personal touch?) etc, etc.

When she got to the grounds for inadmissibility she asked me several questions about my military service (I'm an Iranian national, and male Iranian nationals have to complete a 2 year period of military service). I told her that I have included detailed description of my military service in the last page, but she seemed uninterested so I answered her questions in short sentences. When did you go to military service? Did you receive any training with a weapon? What weapons were you trained with? Was it automatic/semi-automatic? Were you in charge of a group within the military? What was your highest rank? Were you ever involved in combat? etc. Again she would write down my answers in single words somewhere in the form.

After that, she moved on to form I-944, asked a few straightforward questions to confirm the details provided. Then she handed us the stacks of paper (our forms + supporting docs) to sign the dedicated fields in our I-485 and I-944.

When we were done with the forms she gave us a sort of a "soft yes". Meaning she pointed out that she had noticed we were not scheduled for a biometric appointment before our interview, so she had asked ASC to book an appointment for us. But unfortunately the first available date they had was March 15, she then handed us the ASC appointment notices. She said the background check process might take from days to weeks and there was no way for her to give an estimate, but we were supposed to receive our approval notice about a week after she received the results of our background checks.
Another thing I was stressed about was that I did not have a receipt of our DOS fee because I'd forgotten to include a self stamped envelope when I was sending out the payment. DOS had emailed me the receipt and I had included a copy of it in my application. But the payment receipt never came up and I didn't have to provide an explanation. She then accompanied us to the exit and that's that. Overall, she was very patient and friendly and made our experience much less stressful than we anticipated.

I checked our case status online as soon as I got home and it is now updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed". The previous status of our application was "Fingerprint Fee Received".

I hope our experience is useful to others in this forum, and thanks for the amazing community.

Last edited:
she put me on hold - what you are saying make sense they just wants to get you off the phone so not very confident by their answer

While I do not know how long she put you on hold for, I am certain she most definitely did not make any call to your FO - the FO's do not track DV based cases separately - she was just trying to appear helpful. If they do track DV based AOS processing timeline, USCIS would have been able to combine the stats for all the FOs and provide it online like they do in general under their processing timeline.

Hi everyone. I wanted to give you an update on my and my spouse's interview which was scheduled for today (CN AS16xx, Filed mid-December). Interview was scheduled for 8 AM and we made it to the parking lot approximately five minutes early. We went through the security gate and were guided to a waiting room. The officer came out calling our name and guided us to her office. First she took our identification (passports, driver's license, social security card) and had us take an oath. Then she went on to review every section of our I-485's, she would ask if our answers were correct and we would basically just say yes. At some points she asked for details that were not required on the actual forms, and would write down the answers in red next to the respective part of the forms. For example, when she got to our current residence address she asked questions like whether the house was a lease or owned, whether anybody else lived with us at the same address, whether we had pets (maybe a personal touch?) etc, etc.

When she got to the grounds for inadmissibility she asked me several questions about my military service (I'm an Iranian national, and male Iranian nationals have to complete a 2 year period of military service). I told her that I have included detailed description of my military service in the last page, but she seemed uninterested so I answered her questions in short sentences. When did you go to military service? Did you receive any training with a weapon? What weapons were you trained with? Was it automatic/semi-automatic? Were you in charge of a group within the military? What was your highest rank? Were you ever involved in combat? etc. Again she would write down my answers in single words somewhere in the form.

After that, she moved on to form I-944, asked a few straightforward questions to confirm the details provided. Then she handed us the stacks of paper (our forms + supporting docs) to sign the dedicated fields in our I-485 and I-944.

When we were done with the forms she gave us a sort of a "soft yes". Meaning she pointed out that she had noticed we were not scheduled for a biometric appointment before our interview, so she had asked ASC to book an appointment for us. But unfortunately the first available date they had was March 15, she then handed us the ASC appointment notices. She said the background check process might take from days to weeks and there was no way for her to give an estimate, but we were supposed to receive our approval notice about a week after she received the results of our background checks.
Another thing I was stressed about was that I did not have a receipt of our DOS fee because I'd forgotten to include a self stamped envelope when I was sending out the payment. DOS had emailed me the receipt and I had included a copy of it in my application. But the payment receipt never came up and I didn't have to provide an explanation. She then accompanied us to the exit and that's that. Overall, she was very patient and friendly and made our experience much less stressful than we anticipated.

I checked our case status online as soon as I got home and it is now updated to "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed". The previous status of our application was "Fingerprint Fee Received".

I hope our experience is useful to others in this forum, and thanks for the amazing community.

Great update!

Next step for you: attend the bio appointment and wait for the background check completion. As an Iranian with a military service record, your background check might take a while to clear. So remember to exercise some patience after you've done the bio.