• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi mom, also wanted to ask RE I-944. Part 3

I did not file taxes in the US in 2020 (was not legally allowed to work here on my F1). But I did file back in 2017, since I was on a work visa back then. Should I be including my 2017 tax return instead? Or does this section refer only to the most recent tax year aka 2020?

On the instruction manual it also states that I should be submitting IRS transcripts - is this for the corresponding year I filed taxes (aka 2017), or is it only for 2020? And if I didn't file in 2020, will I still have a transcript?

Thank you!

Hi Alisher2,

It looks like our situation is similar to yours: we also got interview scheduled on Feb 23, while have not received the biometrics appointment.

I was wondering if tier 2 officer called you within 7 days and, if they did, what did they say about "family-based adjustment" typo in the system? Thank you very much! I hope for the best for everybody! :)

I'm still wayting for a call from tier 2 officer. Yesterday I called USCIS to check if they entered the correct phone number and email in the request, and the UCSIC rep told me that my request is not completed yet and I just need to wait another 14 days for the call from the tier 2 officer.

If I do not get call back before my interview, I will ask the interview officer to correct the case type if it is still wrong in the system.

Hi mom, also wanted to ask RE I-944. Part 3

I did not file taxes in the US in 2020 (was not legally allowed to work here on my F1). But I did file back in 2017, since I was on a work visa back then. Should I be including my 2017 tax return instead? Or does this section refer only to the most recent tax year aka 2020?

On the instruction manual it also states that I should be submitting IRS transcripts - is this for the corresponding year I filed taxes (aka 2017), or is it only for 2020? And if I didn't file in 2020, will I still have a transcript?

Thank you!

2017 tax filing information is too far back to be relevant to your AOS application. You wouldn’t have a recent IRS tax transcript if you don’t have a recent tax filing.

I'm still wayting for a call from tier 2 officer. Yesterday I called USCIS to check if they entered the correct phone number and email in the request, and the UCSIC rep told me that my request is not completed yet and I just need to wait another 14 days for the call from the tier 2 officer.

If I do not get call back before my interview, I will ask the interview officer to correct the case type if it is still wrong in the system.

You will still be waiting for your IL if your AOS application is truly classified as family based in the system. Your FO sent you your IL because they’re aware it is DV based. It would have been thrown into the backlog if it was family or employment for several more months based as those applications are not time limited like a DV based one is.

Hi Mom! 2 basic questions before I can officially submit my AOS package.
1) Is a fico score considered a credit score?
2) Do I need to have a reason to be submitting form I-131? Part 3 asks about departure can I just put "TBD" as right now I actually don't have anything planned.

Hi Mom! 2 basic questions before I can officially submit my AOS package.
1) Is a fico score considered a credit score?
2) Do I need to have a reason to be submitting form I-131? Part 3 asks about departure can I just put "TBD" as right now I actually don't have anything planned.

1. A FICO score is one branch/arm of the Credit score
FICO vs Credit Score

2. No, you don’t need to state a specific reason.

2017 tax filing information is too far back to be relevant to your AOS application. You wouldn’t have a recent IRS tax transcript if you don’t have a recent tax filing.
Sorry my mistake, it's actually from 2018. Does this change anything?

Also, I noticed the package also includes W2s from 1-3 years. Should I include this 2018 one as part of that? And also for the missing years (2019-2020), if I filed in my home country would you recommend including those?

Thank you!

Sorry my mistake, it's actually from 2018. Does this change anything?

Also, I noticed the package also includes W2s from 1-3 years. Should I include this 2018 one as part of that? And also for the missing years (2019-2020), if I filed in my home country would you recommend including those?

Thank you!

2018 tax filing is equally far back. Tax filing from your home country cannot be used to demonstrate you’re unlikely to become a public charge in the US.

2018 tax filing is equally far back. Tax filing from your home country cannot be used to demonstrate you’re unlikely to become a public charge in the US.
Could I ask what the W2s from last 1-3 years listed in the spreadsheet useful in demonstrating then? Should I be including my 2018 one since that is within the last 3 years?

So you mean when it says 'most recent federal income tax returns' it refers to the most recent tax year aka 2020 and not most recent (for you personally)?

Also, the guide mentions:
Submit any tax transcripts for any income taxes that you or your household members led with any foreign government if you or your household members were residing outside of the United States during any time within the most recent tax year and you were not required to file a federal individual income tax return with the United States government.

So I assume only attach the 2020 tax return since I filed in my home country? And then other years are irrelevant?

On the posted spreadsheet it said that "None the less, most, if not all DV AOS cases get adjudicated before the end of the FY". Is that still something "realistic" for this year? Thank you.

On the posted spreadsheet it said that "None the less, most, if not all DV AOS cases get adjudicated before the end of the FY". Is that still something "realistic" for this year? Thank you.
If you look back to last year’s thread, when the end of the FY came at a really bad time in the pandemic, you’ll see that FOs seemed to go out of their way to get DV cases done, in particular by approving without interview far more cases than we had seen in a typical year before. That would tend to make me at least quite optimistic for this year. (I am assuming your question relates to adjudicating submitted cases and not whether all numbers will become current)

Yes, I was referring to submitted cases. Thank you! But in regards to all numbers being current, would that not be something realistic as well, at least in July? (considering the patterns I've seen from previous FYs)

In short, and I might be wrong here, everyone would have a chance to submit AOS at least in July, but it is up to us in doing our part (having all documents, following up with FO, etc.) to ensure the highest probability of success?

p.s. @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom you both are AMAZING!

Could I ask what the W2s from last 1-3 years listed in the spreadsheet useful in demonstrating then? Should I be including my 2018 one since that is within the last 3 years?

So you mean when it says 'most recent federal income tax returns' it refers to the most recent tax year aka 2020 and not most recent (for you personally)?

Also, the guide mentions:
Submit any tax transcripts for any income taxes that you or your household members led with any foreign government if you or your household members were residing outside of the United States during any time within the most recent tax year and you were not required to file a federal individual income tax return with the United States government.

So I assume only attach the 2020 tax return since I filed in my home country? And then other years are irrelevant?

1. To demonstrate a consistent financial strength, to demonstrate on-going employment.

2. 2020, yes. 2019 for someone filing before the 2020 tax filing season begins or is late with filing the 2020 taxes.

3. Include it if you’re convinced it can support the likelihood of your being perceived as a public charge.

Wondering how you were able to earn an income and file a tax return in your home country in 2020 if you were in the US on F1 visa in that same FY - a residual income? Of a large/significant income? Remember the essence of these documents is to demonstrate a strong financial standing, not necessarily to show you’re filing taxes as required. You might also want to be careful with what you present - you don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you’re deemed or have unintentionally demonstrated a violation of your US status based on the unsolicited information you provided. At the end of the day, this is your case filing not mine. So do what you think matters.

Yes, I was referring to submitted cases. Thank you! But in regards to all numbers being current, would that not be something realistic as well, at least in July? (considering the patterns I've seen from previous FYs)

In short, and I might be wrong here, everyone would have a chance to submit AOS at least in July, but it is up to us in doing our part (having all documents, following up with FO, etc.) to ensure the highest probability of success?

p.s. @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom you both are AMAZING!

1. I can’t speculate as to if all the CNs will become current or not.

2. Again, I can’t speculate as to everyone having a chance to file for AOS in July.

About this specific post here (#2079), just watch this video (hopefully it's a good relief for all of us who are feeling a bit worried)

(please watch this specific time of the video: 1:00:16)

Lets practice some patience and fingers crossed!
Cheers :)

Alisher2,

Thank you for sharing your experience! It looks like people who were able to talk to tier 2 officer are really lucky so far. It makes sense to ask to make correction during the interview. Hope for the best for everybody!

1. To demonstrate a consistent financial strength, to demonstrate on-going employment.

2. 2020, yes. 2019 for someone filing before the 2020 tax filing season begins or is late with filing the 2020 taxes.

3. Include it if you’re convinced it can support the likelihood of your being perceived as a public charge.

Wondering how you were able to earn an income and file a tax return in your home country in 2020 if you were in the US on F1 visa in that same FY - a residual income? Of a large/significant income? Remember the essence of these documents is to demonstrate a strong financial standing, not necessarily to show you’re filing taxes as required. You might also want to be careful with what you present - you don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you’re deemed or have unintentionally demonstrated a violation of your US status based on the unsolicited information you provided. At the end of the day, this is your case filing not mine. So do what you think matters.

Thank you!

I booked a couple commercials back home in the time that school was on summer break. So I was paid for those - to my knowledge this was not against any F1 mandates? Is that true to your knowledge also?

Knowing this does it make any difference in your opinion that I include these or are these irrelevant since they are not 'ongoing' in the sense of a regular, ongoing basis

Thank you!

I booked a couple commercials back home in the time that school was on summer break. So I was paid for those - to my knowledge this was not against any F1 mandates? Is that true to your knowledge also?

Knowing this does it make any difference in your opinion that I include these or are these irrelevant since they are not 'ongoing' in the sense of a regular, ongoing basis

1. No, not a violation of your F1.
2. I’ve already answered that question. Do refer to my previous responses to you.

1. No, not a violation of your F1.
2. I’ve already answered that question. Do refer to my previous responses to you.
Thank you! Still in relation to I-944:

Wondering for Part 3. Q9, listing assets - is there a particular website/process you recommend using when converting the value of your assets from a foreign currency into USD? And should I be including proof of this conversion rate etc. when submitting as part of my package?

Also wanted to double check RE Part 4, Q1, Do you have an approved Form I-140 was an alien worker? I do currently have an OPT and previously had an E3, but don't recall having an I-140; can you confirm whether I would and I've just misplaced/missed it?

Appreciate all your guidance.

Thank you! Still in relation to I-944:

Wondering for Part 3. Q9, listing assets - is there a particular website/process you recommend using when converting the value of your assets from a foreign currency into USD? And should I be including proof of this conversion rate etc. when submitting as part of my package?

Also wanted to double check RE Part 4, Q1, Do you have an approved Form I-140 was an alien worker? I do currently have an OPT and previously had an E3, but don't recall having an I-140; can you confirm whether I would and I've just misplaced/missed it?

Appreciate all your guidance.

1. No, I don’t know of any website to recommend.
2. You don’t have an applicable approved I-140. You’re not filing an employment based AOS application.