• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hello,

My case status was changed to 'Card has been mailed to me', and hence I really want to thank the members of this forum, and Mom (especially) for your support and timely answers to my questions. I am forever in your debt, and it truly is an amazing forum that you guys run here.

I have updated the timeline spreadsheet, and following is my interview experience at the Minneapolis FO:

My interview experience went quiet smoothly. It was about 15-20 minutes total. I was asked to provide my passport, SSN, EAD Card, driver's license and the interview letter of course. Officer was extremely friendly, and high-fived me for winning the lottery. I was made to take an oath and then we began. Essentially he went over my ENTIRE original submission including all of the supporting documents with me. He scanned through everything quickly (only stopped at my birth certificate, job offer letter, and college degree). He confirmed my job start dates again, and took my paystubs from the last 3 months. (PLEASE bring your last 3 paystubs considering all this recent public charge drama going on.) We then proceeded to go over my i-485 application and he just confirmed my name, DOB, address, and other stuff as we went along. We went through all the yes/no questions, where when he got to the 'citation' question - I disclosed my recent speeding ticket and provided him with a copy. He took the copy of the ticket and wrote detailed notes, however he assured me it won't be an issue. I still haven't paid the ticket yet) That was about it!

At the end of the day - he was happy that I had a thorough application, and said that there will not be an issue from his side at all. He just needed to "follow some policies and interface w/ other government agencies". I asked him if he had requested my case from KCC, to which he replied that he will as soon as I leave. However, I did not inquire about the status of my background check. Beyond that, he repeatedly assured me that he is very aware of the September 30th deadline, and informed me that USCIS is also conscious of the deadline as a whole, and is working fast to get the applications processed. I also asked how to contact him (local FO doesn't allow infopass or anything) - to which he told me to relax and that if there's anything he needs - he will send it to me in the mail. That was that! Important to note my lawyer also attended the interview, which personally was a peace of mind factor for me. She really didn't do anything other than take notes, but she joked around with the IO which contributed to the light atmosphere.

Next morning, I got up and habitually checked my case status --> and it said card is being produced! That's it! Hopefully the Welcome Letter arrives soon, but I won't celebrate until I have it in hand.

Some information that may be of importance:
  1. I recommend disclosing all tickets/citations you have gotten before or after you have submitted your application. There's some discussion online about not disclosing it if it is under $500 or so, but just be honest. Also maybe don't behave a like a idiotic college kid (me) and speed 1 week before your interview. I was lucky to get off with a petty misdemeanor.
  2. Lawyer: You don't need one, mom's right. However my university offered free legal services, and my lawyer had handled DV cases before me - so why not? She did an amazing job however with writing a cover letter, and indexing every single supporting document that I provided. The way she had organized it - you'd have to be extremely stupid to miss out on anything So I was very lucky with getting free legal representation!
  3. Patience: Reading this forum was helpful but often made me nervous thinking my case would just get 'stuck' or lost anywhere between Chicago Lockbox and Local FO. There are anomalies of course, but cases do go smoothly through the process. However, if you still can't exercise patience - then just repeatedly speak to Tier 2 support and have them generate service requests to find out what is going on with your application. I didn't have to go through the congressman/senator/ombudsman/whatever route, but maybe that is necessary given there's only 45 days left.
Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
Hello,

My case status was changed to 'Card has been mailed to me', and hence I really want to thank the members of this forum, and Mom (especially) for your support and timely answers to my questions. I am forever in your debt, and it truly is an amazing forum that you guys run here.

I have updated the timeline spreadsheet, and following is my interview experience at the Minneapolis FO:

My interview experience went quiet smoothly. It was about 15-20 minutes total. I was asked to provide my passport, SSN, EAD Card, driver's license and the interview letter of course. Officer was extremely friendly, and high-fived me for winning the lottery. I was made to take an oath and then we began. Essentially he went over my ENTIRE original submission including all of the supporting documents with me. He scanned through everything quickly (only stopped at my birth certificate, job offer letter, and college degree). He confirmed my job start dates again, and took my paystubs from the last 3 months. (PLEASE bring your last 3 paystubs considering all this recent public charge drama going on.) We then proceeded to go over my i-485 application and he just confirmed my name, DOB, address, and other stuff as we went along. We went through all the yes/no questions, where when he got to the 'citation' question - I disclosed my recent speeding ticket and provided him with a copy. He took the copy of the ticket and wrote detailed notes, however he assured me it won't be an issue. I still haven't paid the ticket yet) That was about it!

At the end of the day - he was happy that I had a thorough application, and said that there will not be an issue from his side at all. He just needed to "follow some policies and interface w/ other government agencies". I asked him if he had requested my case from KCC, to which he replied that he will as soon as I leave. However, I did not inquire about the status of my background check. Beyond that, he repeatedly assured me that he is very aware of the September 30th deadline, and informed me that USCIS is also conscious of the deadline as a whole, and is working fast to get the applications processed. I also asked how to contact him (local FO doesn't allow infopass or anything) - to which he told me to relax and that if there's anything he needs - he will send it to me in the mail. That was that! Important to note my lawyer also attended the interview, which personally was a peace of mind factor for me. She really didn't do anything other than take notes, but she joked around with the IO which contributed to the light atmosphere.

Next morning, I got up and habitually checked my case status --> and it said card is being produced! That's it! Hopefully the Welcome Letter arrives soon, but I won't celebrate until I have it in hand.

Some information that may be of importance:
  1. I recommend disclosing all tickets/citations you have gotten before or after you have submitted your application. There's some discussion online about not disclosing it if it is under $500 or so, but just be honest. Also maybe don't behave a like a idiotic college kid (me) and speed 1 week before your interview. I was lucky to get off with a petty misdemeanor.
  2. Lawyer: You don't need one, mom's right. However my university offered free legal services, and my lawyer had handled DV cases before me - so why not? She did an amazing job however with writing a cover letter, and indexing every single supporting document that I provided. The way she had organized it - you'd have to be extremely stupid to miss out on anything So I was very lucky with getting free legal representation!
  3. Patience: Reading this forum was helpful but often made me nervous thinking my case would just get 'stuck' or lost anywhere between Chicago Lockbox and Local FO. There are anomalies of course, but cases do go smoothly through the process. However, if you still can't exercise patience - then just repeatedly speak to Tier 2 support and have them generate service requests to find out what is going on with your application. I didn't have to go through the congressman/senator/ombudsman/whatever route, but maybe that is necessary given there's only 45 days left.
Good luck to you all!

Congratulations

We got the denial letter, and we have to leave country within 33 days. Because " you stated during interview that you had not filed for a change of status" And that is true,my husband has not but me.I was a main applicant for asylum petition. During the interview when officer asked this question my husband I was trying to say that,but she said that I have to keep silence because she doesn't ask me... If somebody may recomend imigration attorney in Chicago. Thanks

We got the denial letter, and we have to leave country within 33 days. Because " you stated during interview that you had not filed for a change of status" And that is true,my husband has not but me.I was a main applicant for asylum petition. During the interview when officer asked this question my husband I was trying to say that,but she said that I have to keep silence because she doesn't ask me... If somebody may recomend imigration attorney in Chicago. Thanks

If your husband is listed on your asylum petition as your derivative, then the answer should have been “Yes” regardless of who the main. Your husband should have answered by saying he’s a derivative on your asylum petition. Sorry your DV based AOS petition has been denied.

Why do you have to leave the country?
Is your asylum application still valid?

Probably because she didn't catch that we have asylum petition. Because my husband said no, still it's weird from my understanding...We mentioned that we asylum applicants in I 485 and I added the copy of " blue" I589

Probably because she didn't catch that we have asylum petition. Because my husband said no, still it's weird from my understanding...We mentioned that we asylum applicants in I 485 and I added the copy of " blue" I589
Do you need a lawyer to see if your asylum is still valid or you want to appeal your green card decision?

Hi D3Zi,

Yes, we did recently. Unfortunately, they denied us saying that pending asylum is not a status(((
Oh, I'm so sorry :( We have interview on August 27th and I don't have any hope anymore. Because I heard another case 1 month ago got denied because they were pending asylum. This is so sad because I think they are the only office that they are not accepting pending asylum. I knew one from Baltimore with the same case was approved recently. :((

Dear Mom and All,

I just received Welcome Letter (Approval letter) in the mail so now I can believe that it is really happening.

First of all I would like to thank to Mom all of the information which is being provided on this forum and in the excel spreadsheet. It is really good to know there are people out there like Mom who help others without trying to get advantage or money out of them.

Also I would like to say thank you to everybody who helped me not just answering a question but giving me strength, hope and kind words regarding my personal challenge. I can say 1 in the bag and 1 to go. I am happy because from now I can fully focus on my future treatments and recovery which takes another 4-6 months.
Probably this is my biggest battle I have to fight in my life (so far) and hopefully after a few years it will be just a bad memory.

And last but not least, I would like to thank to USCIS. They really proved me that they care about you. Even if they make mistakes and are probably overloaded, but they answered to my letter no later than 4 days after receiving it and came to my apartment to have the interview done. Incredible and still unbelievable.

Finally I wish nothing but the best to everyone on this forum, good luck with our new status, good health to you and your families and God bless you all.

P.S.:
Just for info, so you dont need to be freaked out if it stuck in a status.

My case status changes till today

egov.uscis.gov:
Apr 18: Fingerprint Fee Was Received
Aug 15: New Card Being Produced
Aug 15: Case Was Approved

myaccount.uscis.gov
Apr 18. We received your case bla bla...
And that's it.

Last edited:
He is currently on F1 Visa - has this in his passport, lives on campus. Has had no requirement for other official ID as he doesn't drive. Passport and Student ID has been sufficient so far.

Update: - It took three visits to the ID issue office (over 3 days) to get the ID passed correctly, 4th day was the Interview. By just after midnight that night son was advised he was approved, and within a week had the Green Card in his hand. Thank you.

Dear Mom and All,

I just received Welcome Letter (Approval letter) in the mail so now I can believe that it is really happening.

First of all I would like to thank to Mom all of the information which is being provided on this forum and in the excel spreadsheet. It is really good to know there are people out there like Mom who help others without trying to get advantage or money out of them.

Also I would like to say thank you to everybody who helped me not just answering a question but giving me strength, hope and kind words regarding my personal challenge. I can say 1 in the bag and 1 to go. I am happy because from now I can fully focus on my future treatments and recovery which takes another 4-6 months.
Probably this is my biggest battle I have to fight in my life (so far) and hopefully after a few years it will be just a bad memory.

And last but not least, I would like to thank to USCIS. They really proved me that they care about you. Even if they make mistakes and are probably overloaded, but they answered to my letter no later than 4 days after receiving it and came to my apartment to have the interview done. Incredible and still unbelievable.

Finally I wish nothing but the best to everyone on this forum, good luck with our new status, good health to you and your families and God bless you all.

P.S.:
Just for info, so you dont need to be freaked out if it stuck in a status.

My case status changes till today

egov.uscis.gov:
Apr 18: Fingerprint Fee Was Received
Aug 15: New Card Being Produced
Aug 15: Case Was Approved

myaccount.uscis.gov
Apr 18. We received your case bla bla...
And that's it.

Congratulations and thanks for the update. Hope you get some positive news also with regards to your health.

Hi Mom,

Thanks for your reply.

FO: Los Angeles
Region: AS
Biometrics: 07/31
Fingerprint Review was Completed: 08/02

1. I called USCIS (1-800-375-5283) this morning and the representative she told me that the processing time is 6 months and my case is still pending and she didn't mention anything about fingerprint/background check and they don't need anything from me. I told her it's a DV Lottery Program case but she said the timeline is the same. Is this usual? Or should I speak to someone else? Any other options I can do and know about my status? Should I just keep waiting the IL?

2. According to the timeline spreadsheets, it says that Los Angeles FO takes 16 days to a month. Due to DV FY ends soon and don't want to miss the chance. Is there any other way I can do now?

Looking forward to your soonest reply, thank you so much, Mom.

Hi Mom,

Could you please give me some advice? I am still waiting for your response.

Thank you so much and have a great weekend.

Hi Mom,

Thanks for your reply.

FO: Los Angeles
Region: AS
Biometrics: 07/31
Fingerprint Review was Completed: 08/02

1. I called USCIS (1-800-375-5283) this morning and the representative she told me that the processing time is 6 months and my case is still pending and she didn't mention anything about fingerprint/background check and they don't need anything from me. I told her it's a DV Lottery Program case but she said the timeline is the same. Is this usual? Or should I speak to someone else? Any other options I can do and know about my status? Should I just keep waiting the IL?

2. According to the timeline spreadsheets, it says that Los Angeles FO takes 16 days to a month. Due to DV FY ends soon and don't want to miss the chance. Is there any other way I can do now?

Looking forward to your soonest reply, thank you so much, Mom.

1. Yes the response from the USCIS rep you spoke with is the “usual” response in terms of timeline. They can’t differentiate between a DV based AOS petition, which is time sensitive, and other AOS petitions. When I suggested calling them, it was meant to see if your IL was already sent.

2. If your timeline is still within that of what is applicable to your FO, you have the option of exercising some patience and waiting a little bit more for the IL to show up - at least until the end of August. Or you can reach out to your Congress person and request their assistance with following up - bear in mind if you decide to utilize this second option now, you may have a tough time convincing them to assist again should your approval decision remain pending after your interview which I feel is more crucial.